Observation: From Crashing on a regular basis to absolutley no crashing

Arkolucious

(short summary of my suspicion: Restart the game, when you change visual settings or it will crash)

Hey - i know a lot of people have trouble with crashes in the game - me included. Sometimes it happens after 20 minutes - sometimes just a few minutes. Usually the image freezes. There are a alot of tips on YT and other plattforms for graphic-settings, Driver-Settings and even console commands for Steam: Many of them seem to be not a stable solution in my case and simply postboned the crash timer a little bit.

I am aware that instability can have multiple reasons for each player and his individual PC-Setup, but here is an observation i can absolutley verify for local games for my hardwaresetup Ryzen 7000er Series + Nvidia RTX 4000er series on WIN 11 with updated drivers:

This game is new and has troublesome performance. So it is common to open the options to adjust and experiment with the graphicsettings A LOT. Sometimes the game freezed right there, when i try to save the changes. Some times it works as intended. However: I noticed that the game will crash anyway after a certain amount of time. Sometimes it is just a few minutes. So there is something going on, and i am not able to play ARK ASA.

The Observations:

1. Whenever i changed the graphicsettings ingame, the next crash will not be too far away.

2.Whenever i use DLSS Framegeneration + Nvidia Geforce Experience Shadowplay-Videocapture (sometimes it runs automatically for those short evidence-clips in the background recording the last 5 minutes) it tends to crash a alot AND sometimes messes up the framepacing. Even stable & good FPS look super nervous and stutter a lot, like the game had to much coffee.

Since i made the following changes, i am able to play for 3 hours without any crashes - simply stoped because i was tired:

1. I have disabled the fluid & foliage interaction in the visual settings (this is just what it was, not sure if it has anything to do with the crashes)

2. I play with everything on Fullscreenmode (not windowed) + HIGH-Settings + DLSS Quality + Framegeneration (if available)

3. I NEVER, and i mean NEVER - even for small adjustments - enter the Ingame-Options and make any adjustments at all except to save the game.

4. I use OBS with Nvidia NVEC GPU-Codec to record my footage now (so the GPU still does the recording, but without Geforce Experience)

5. Geforce Experience is shut down/closed and not running. (you can also turn of the Nvidia Overlay for games in GFexperience if you want)

And i have no other explaination what might be the exact reason, but since i follow those rules, it runs perfectly stable in local games. This might not be the case on Servers - so be aware of that. My main suspicion: Changes to the visuals mess up somehow the UE5-Engine and provokes an incoming crash. So whenever you want to adjust graphics or other stuff , better restart the game therafter.

I hope this is helpful for at least some of you.

Greetings & Good Luck 👋

Edited by Arkolucious
  • Thanks 2

Not beeing able to join a game at all has of course a different cause.....sucks for sure. So you can make it to the Titlemenue but you are not able to launch anything? Could it be an out of memory problem? How much RAM + VRAM do you have - and have you tried to set everything to Low/off before launching?

Happy that at least sometimes it works for someone :) i also believe that it is the option menue as main reason (at least on my side). Do not change anything during gameplay and you have better chances to avoid a crash.

Still i get here and there other bugs: Disco-Jungle with flashing lights or a messed up watertexture on the beach...Still better than crashing.

Edited by Arkolucious

Hi guys,

thanks a lot for sharing this Arkolucious

for myself, i kept crashing, sometimes not crashing for 2 hours, sometimes crashing each time i opened and closed storage inventory

and now, it seems much better, 2 days i play without any crash

i made many tests with your advices and what solved my issue is to disable water and foliage interaction

playing in high settings for most things,

I7-9700K / rtx3080 / 32GB DDR4

everything is up to date

Happy exploration all :)

• Thanks 1

Hi, I was just wondering if it would be possible for Wildcard to provide some official feedback on the issue with the multiple crashes? The game is literally unplayable for a huge amount of players. Now I would think that the issue is being looked into, but it creates a lot of tension when no information is being shared from the development team.

As for the crashes, it is impossible to say exactly what makes it crash, because it happens so often in so many situations. I mean, just sitting in the menu without doing anything can make the game crash.

It really needs to be looked into. I have personally created support ticket about it, and I would suggest/advice everyone else that experiences crashes to create support cases.

Edited by Burteman

I have tried reading a lot of the Steam discussion threads, and there are just so insanely many things that seem to make the game crash. Doing anything in the menu seems to be a trigger for many people, opening inventories another. But plenty of people are also reporting that the game crashes after having being standing still for a long time, looking at the sun, looking at the moon, opening doors... He He.
To me it seems like something is fundamentally wrong.

I can't even launch the game.  I am a developer, as well as a sysadmin, and for this to be the norm for games rolling out nowadays is ridiculous.  Probably because they don't hire people like me to be developers, but I'm just speculating at that..... because they never hire people like me to be developers so I can't tell for sure.

Incidentally, I can't even launch the game because it crashes while looking for shaders, or for an E: that I don't have, I'm not sure which.

give this a try and see if it helps Click on Start > Settings > System > Display. Scroll down on the right, and click on Graphics for Windows 11 or Graphic settings for Windows 10. Windows 11 users need to next click on Change default graphics settings. Toggle the Hardware-accelerated GPU scheduling  (HAGS) option off.

i havent crashed from inventory since the patch, but i do crash constantly from simply moving around, and its the DXGi Device Removed error, the driver isnt crashing cause whats happening on the other monitor isnt effected, and its not overheating as my gpu doesnt get above 60. If this would prioritize client crash fixes over server, id be a happy camper. Our server doesnt crash at all so they are golen in that department for us

On 11/6/2023 at 6:33 PM, allanonmage said:

I can't even launch the game.  I am a developer, as well as a sysadmin, and for this to be the norm for games rolling out nowadays is ridiculous.  Probably because they don't hire people like me to be developers, but I'm just speculating at that..... because they never hire people like me to be developers so I can't tell for sure.

Incidentally, I can't even launch the game because it crashes while looking for shaders, or for an E: that I don't have, I'm not sure which.

I saw your other post that they decided to immediately close. I'm having the same kind of issue where it's searching for some file in E: and having some issue with shader versions 5 versus 6. Have you found anything yet that will let you get the game open. I'm on maybe not so great of a computer to run this game but I don't think its a rig issue.

Since day 1 I have experienced every single bug as they where in ASE. ASA is an exact copy form ASE. Literally every bug is there. Me and about 50 players I know posted those numerous times in bugreports. And still hardly any changes. Playing on "officials" is even a bigger drama, some unoffi servers got the memoryleaks almost under control, cant say the same about Nitrado (Those guys really must have a tough time WC hardly fixing or acknowledging their flaws. Again.)
Wise men say, that history keeps on repeating itself if things don't get changed nor documented. This is a perfect example when looking at ASE launch (and the years following) and the launch of ASA.

-Patch last week; meshing should be fixed now. Nah, its not. Babies still sink in or fly up in the air upon logging in.
-Fatal error and crashing even before loading ingame. Not fixed, game just freezes. Hard reset on pc needed before even doing something else

-Black screen when starting up game. Hard reset needed again. And again. Again. Etc...
-When going in caves, 9 out of 10 times freezes the game. Resulting in death and loss of everything, since you're most of the times not able to even get into a cave due to freezing up the game.
-Tons of overspawns, like ridiculous amounts of sharks/yetis/wolves. And if you manage to kill a few, there will be so many others who just lock you in and you cant even move wich results in another loss of all stuff on you.
-On Carno island; use your doedic and get unlimited amounts of stone. I stood literally for 45 mins on 1 spot and got thousands of stone, yet not a single rock closeby. 
-Oviraptors. I like the mechanic they can pickup eggs. However, they can also pickup eggs from othe players on PvE. Nice, you're giving griefers all chances again. Too bad WC, another missed opportunity.
-Desyncing toons. Stepping off a mount mostly does this. Another fine example that WC forgot to read their own patchnotes on ASE year 1, let alone the fix for that.
-I cant wait to see the "babies/juveniles not eating from troughs" again. It will re emerge, since history keeps on repeating itselves.
-And there's much, much more to add to this. Wich I choose not to put in here, knowing what will happen if a player (or tons of players in this case) will do so.

WC cant handle fundamented comments and sorry Joel, we did put the above numerous times in bug reports. We're too tired to keep on doing this without any reliable outcome nor true fix. And yes, I feel a bit salty, am I/are we not entitled to this at this point?

Edited by CptYarrr