3 hours ago, ThaVillain said:

Cool suggestion but personally don't see birds fitting on abb at all. This would be better for something like Val or Lost Island I'd say.

I see your point but if it was designed right owls can look quite alien which would fit abb exceptionally well, and while the abilities are never really what we voted for the concept of a living spotlight perched high above waiting to pounce sounds very abberation given all the traps and hazards already present

There's been a few submissions this time around that have impressed me enough to vote and/or comment. The Chimerarachne (a hypnotising scorpion-spider that hides in the dark), the 'Mutated Horror' Lovecraftian penguin (because it parallels the fall of Rockwell), the Gojirasaurus (if WIldcard went 'full nod to Godzilla', the submission author even adapted a few of the ideas I supplied - but honestly, I feel like ARK is "theropodded" out)...

Your "flightless owl" idea is up there. The abilities you suggest for it don't make it "yet another OP tame" but it DOES increase its usefulness exponentially. It also doesn't clash with the Snow Owl's abilities. I also like how its "main ability" - the 'spotlight' - both gives and takes something of benefit. You get: Increased vision and situational awareness, You receive: The inability to hide and you give away your location while using said ability.

My only suggestions would be to propose that it is capable of gliding based on its stamina, like a Rock Drake, as opposed to simply a few seconds before being on a cooldown - this would allow its rider to glide around the Fertile and Bioluminescent zones (increasing their mobility and scouting ability), and that it likes to perch on the Redwood trees (like a Thylo - but higher up the trunk so it's much harder to see), so it 'drops down' on prey/survivors. I also like that, in your picture, its eyes glow. It would be awesome/terrifying to look up and see a pair of glowing, soulless eyes looking down on you seconds before the cold embrace of death touches you.

While this would increase its mobility to be comparable to a Rock Drake but accesible much earlier, given it's not resistant to radiation, can't cloak and doesn't have a Tek saddle, these changes don't take away from the Rock Drake's 'premier Aberration tame' title and you certainly wouldn't take one into the radiation zone unprepared, and getting in doesn't mean you're going to be able to get out - so 'easy access to Rockdrakes' isn't a thing. This could also be handled in-game by making its saddle a higher level, and/or requiring higher-end resources and the creature itself having a smaller pool of stamina and/or its abilities drain stamina faster.

Your idea has great potential.

• Like 1

• Shockal changed the title to Ornimegalonyx, the Giant Flightless Owl