Suggestion

(slasher villain) Introducing Megaraptor, Your Worst Nightmare

Tags: slasher villain, not a raptor, predator, new weapon type, dodging, berserker mode, ambushing, stalker, wounding

IMG_3858.jpg

Common Name: Megaraptor

Species: Megaraptor terrificus

Time: Late Cretaceous

Diet: Carnivore

Temperament: Aggressive

Wild

“As the name suggests, Megaraptor terrificus is one of the most terrific predators among the local wildlife. Not only does it have a long scythe-like claw on its hands, but it's also a silent stalker. Most prey don't see what's coming until it pounces on them.  

But that's not all: I've never seen any creature with such reflexes and battle prowess. It can deflect incoming projectiles and parry blows with its middle claw, before landing a thrust attack with its longest claw. 

Thankfully, though, it does have a weakness: it's scared of fire, even more than other animals usually are. As long as you carry some fire, Megaraptor won't attack you - until it gets a chance to.”

Domesticated

“Taming Megaraptor is literally a challenge: since its reflexes are too quick for you to shoot it, it's necessary to wear it down first. Be brave, grab a weapon and let it come at you. If you can parry its thrust attacks, it will eventually grow tired, giving you a chance to feed it and earn its trust little by little.

However, not all survivors are so willing to push their luck. Therefore, there are those who just kill it to turn its claws into useful weapons and tools, allowing them to both turn the tide in a clash and harvest the best cuts of meat from their quarry.”

Introduction:

Greetings, survivors! I introduce to you the mighty murderer; the Megaraptor!

The foundational ideas and selling points for this theropod include:

• Role as an ambushing assassin that stalks its prey

• Taming involving parrying its attacks

• Ambush-stalking mode

• Risk-vs-Reward Berserker Mechanic

Although the Gigantoraptor has just won, the Megaraptor is an entirely different beast. More closely related to Tyrannosaurus than actual raptors, this beat provides an interesting niche not exhibited by many creatures in ARK. An assassin class fighter with abilities related to the darkness and horror would make a great fit for Aberration.

Wild:

While at a glance a Megaraptor in the wild might seem like every other large carnivore, it is more… unique in a few areas. It approaches prey in an ambushing state. Though not 100% invisible, it does blend in with its surroundings, more so the farther away it is. It will lunge out and induce a Yuty-style fear roar that sends any creature ambushed into an intense psychological episode.

Survivors are their favorite snack. Attacking a Megaraptor is futile, as they will dodge and weave their way around attacks as they approach. Megaraptors have a dreaded fear of fire, and will stay away from any sources. Torches, campfires, and flamethrowers will send the dinosaur running back into the darkness.

Taming Process:

Taming a Megaraptor is stressful and a test of skill. A survivor must parry the Megaraptor’s claw attacks with their own weapon on hand, which severely drains their stamina. Keeping this up for long enough will cause the Megaraptor to become exhausted, where it will then accept either Battle Tartare or Shadow Steak for maximum effectiveness. It may also eat Prime Meat, Mutton, and Kibble, but they are much less effective by comparison. Regular meats are not accepted whatsoever. Rinse and repeat until you gain the dinosaur’s trust.

Tamed:

Congratulations! You’ve successfully tamed a Megaraptor! This krueger-clawed killer has many tricks up its sleeve that will give survivors an edge when trying to survive in the caverns.

Actions:

• Primary Attack (2tD_mV1Z0qkPSJPIPOSOXcocsRAZt93zDRJe3t-QtvWdbJ1NfggPy026Fwjm9YQzZXK4TvKayF825_kd0I10-xZE7bGosvlzv_eSXjMnf02Ahkr1SYMQqdrVO7ZBMeFt8Ib2q6Av4Cp60wgFBWz-8Wk, ogJZkw2MZGyZT8bf2WBpoghK4KbhTEbXAcaUVUL_-s8vQe_CegVKBWN7-pvXw2NOZHKZM3AA8VfFDMzZ4S2bKFXjdoEr4c-tKdX7nXywDaV11VhzhdjUMP6kzJIevw5I5X_5-uF_dydVbywk9V2icS0, SmSXv5-WfKdDJzQVhuq_sBK8eLaCZ7kdUqV25AqYBajwHI_mXBRNepGcEKzkX9hON0pttQrt36VRJzenzXjkC6WBSVKs5nbDOA7C0G9VppCst08iHLtB0jYX-wD8FEVKhdRG3Wl3-I1I_VdkeHgoMZI)

• Click: A three-hit swiping combo that builds up in speed and damage similar to TEK claws. It’s represented in a meter.

• Hold: Consume the meter as you perform a high damage double swipe & bite attack.

• Secondary Attack (trG3nl6FwHSk8mvUlABszf2AY4lD_M7hmR8nuHM08CjPPbFMnm1lVIAmhHzLy-rH4iZjnXsFiJC5XEdSHfIAzATeEX7VpjbpAaS2_PgswkJgWtgFlIagwqScoV6pqc7DK5vk89LO5LU7PKUfSMwvTpQ, m9hjCrtwKlKsRD57EV6O9haaAJ3roW0IGi0pvp-shGofUIJtqMzyRF1vzA9052jvm-Yt5DIaHNdsoVUo2SlG0HoQvIC1-9vT07vYC1shkH2hh0YvknjE39oVjDQZqir7hPVEzSWPeI6tCLwJCU-Ljrk, fN5gkAS3fpcBFdUnVq-Ek7-w2tuvTYO4E1gOHEYkS2Jv-rTx1-bmyd2rVM_YdTkyMRZQi1BM8m8gC1H_EbchwpnEj-PqIsqC-YsQzYsShFFsOLWFoQ2Px6mUYTKOoH0HZbAvAvu2FSQ79nGx1b5e1hg )

• Click: A big swipe that leaves a Wounded status effect on a target. For 10 minutes, the target will take increased damage from attacks and leave behind a blood trail that is highlighted when riding the Megaraptor.

• Hold: A reticle will appear allowing the Megaraptor to aim. Once aimed at an aerial target, it will leap up and snatch them out of the air in a similar manner to a Thylacoleo. This consumes all 6 Agility.

• Crouch (Click C, US5M1WEufBUgME9roQYExt1EvyDUPsvgHsJpXByPWff-I2jtL2CZ_NYd0uj_tLr3WHEtBc4vB0XXq0T7N0kkZ4y7hUjjxWJwsRVPssRZmkuHtINIqhMLsxl3TyLBdMavzJ6-Fml5U32BTiAR6ooIGsU, AqKpYmKtfwunvCIZrGZ9h7x0W3L9z30l0YXhW7O7AbYKHSKmUz3PwasiwNu1eL3AW-tIg_8uQOmnaYl074XZJAdEbzK5ZXB6wLbyAOhlMmRU5v7CkDMPx7ylcaBO3N9WPu9ObZ14ntuxjF4Jfar_4bo): The Megaraptor enters an Ambush state, where they are semi-transparent at a certain distance away, and are invisible to turrets and hostile creatures. Pressing trG3nl6FwHSk8mvUlABszf2AY4lD_M7hmR8nuHM08CjPPbFMnm1lVIAmhHzLy-rH4iZjnXsFiJC5XEdSHfIAzATeEX7VpjbpAaS2_PgswkJgWtgFlIagwqScoV6pqc7DK5vk89LO5LU7PKUfSMwvTpQ, m9hjCrtwKlKsRD57EV6O9haaAJ3roW0IGi0pvp-shGofUIJtqMzyRF1vzA9052jvm-Yt5DIaHNdsoVUo2SlG0HoQvIC1-9vT07vYC1shkH2hh0YvknjE39oVjDQZqir7hPVEzSWPeI6tCLwJCU-Ljrk, fN5gkAS3fpcBFdUnVq-Ek7-w2tuvTYO4E1gOHEYkS2Jv-rTx1-bmyd2rVM_YdTkyMRZQi1BM8m8gC1H_EbchwpnEj-PqIsqC-YsQzYsShFFsOLWFoQ2Px6mUYTKOoH0HZbAvAvu2FSQ79nGx1b5e1hg in this state will perform a fear roar to creatures within close proximity to it, affecting them regardless of their size. Survivors are also affected by this jumpscare, with a unique hallucination effect that haunts their screen with ghostly claws and teeth. The Megaraptor is immediately brought out from its Ambush.

• Jump (Press Space, SSV8BaVvdDb3SobwH6VcwMM2309NwJLYKrCcqG0ka9RKEmDQcQS3-XwIEWTvinByV4Y0NoJp3baojsm6ZExkfPnB_bemC0XYKPEpBQ1-XC3GLscOQ8K9GYXkQGa6e6lbFRykiHC0TsMujJFTeREHFqE, -fngKWUQvKsxt0FDIbs8kwMICJF0a2TmCY9zASiEg4eWXZG2GO3Oe3zWH1KPqg-O4C8d940v98cvC-8WMx9j6zvwGuI6OXGPSdQB-kNNGiGiLPoQOtLTsw86qzrSgceVY01m9xyByW3UnQrrQJS80jw): The Megaraptor can dodge in any direction based on your inputs (forward, backward, side-to-side, diagonally). This grants the dinosaur Invincibility-Frames and costs 2 Agility to perform. When against a wall, the Megaraptor will have a climbing style similar to climbing picks, where attacking where you are looking will pull you up. This drains Agility gradually over time.

Passive Abilities:

• Agility: The Megaraptor has 6 stacks of Agility, which is consumed when performing certain attacks and abilities. They behave very similarly to the Andrewsarchus’ sprint bars, as they recharge over time and said actions cannot be performed once there is 0 Agility left.

• Megaraptor Blades: A unique weapon can be crafted in the Megaraptor’s saddle using dropped Megaraptor Claws and combined with Climbing Picks. Megaraptor Blades are a set of chain blades that survivors can wield to attack up close or at a distance. The exact moveset is up to Wildcard to determine, though the image below depicts several ideas.

ORwV28PiLNvE_uLu3s7NyLprgrV3NMXzGOeXszwik19S81zaaCJgwdww086OCMvCRjdvl3SMcbnsWOQ1s9IONaTSgAxpBvz5F4qyGET5akFZusDpQIpQwKtWjsoL1udyFU0tWuPL59-J8A5Ek5Y6g-0

• Immunities: The Megaraptor is immune to radiation and ignores fear roars from other creatures like Yutyrannus and Rhnyiognatha.

• Prime Cuts: All regular meat collected from a target is converted into prime meat when harvested by a Megaraptor.

• Darkness Buff: When it is nighttime or in deep caves, the Megaraptor gets a damage and movement speed buff.

• Berserking Mode: A meter fills up the more creatures a Megaraptor kills. Once the meter is filled, the Megaraptor enters a psychotic rage where the rider cannot control its movements. Its damage and movement speed are increased tremendously. It is a high-risk mechanic that if timed well, can yield great reward.

• ⚠ Fear of Fire ⚠: The Megaraptor’s fear of fire gets the best of it. When approaching a source too close, it will be induced with Fear.

Utility & Scenarios:

PvE: The Megaraptor is great at getting around Aberration’s map. Climbing, buff in the darkness, and ability to go incognito will make them a highly sought after mount. Bringing a Megaraptor down into the depths to grab a Rock Drake will be severely more helpful than the old Ravager technique. Collecting loads of prime meat and creature trophies may also provide utility when feeding armies and grinding for bosses respectively.

PvP: The Megaraptor is best at sitting back and picking off whatever enemies survive a confrontation. They get in with their ambushing invisibility, attack, and get out. Enemies can be tracked across the map with their blood trail, and they can’t escape by going high up with its climbing and pouncing. Survivors will have more fun fighting on foot with their new set of Megaraptor Blades. If the Megaraptor isn’t off to the side, it may go into its killing frenzy with its high damage and speed. Due to its vulnerability, this is a risky ability that requires skill to time in a scuffle. Enemies can easily counter the Megaraptor’s antics by having fire on hand, ready to send them running at any given moment. Megaraptor riders will always need to keep this in mind.

Conclusion:

Despite what it may seem like at first glance, the Megaraptor is nothing like the caring motherly Gigantoraptor. This savage spy in the shadows stalks Aberration’s depths like no other creature, and will provide a unique theropod unlike many of its peers.

Have fun, survivors!

Credits!:

Art by RiskyBiscuits, Lapis Lazuli, & TheSilentReaper

Authored by TheFictionalLawyer & DILONG

Co-Authored by Jimmy & TheSilentReaper

Written by DynastyOfDragons

Dossier by Mihael & RobertoT

Edited by SpacePjoes

94 replies to this server topic

20 hours ago, SpacePjoes said:

They aren't related, and we tried to make that clear in the suggestion. It's like saying "we just got a new -saurus creature", you feel me?

I know what you mean yea. I do think though that there have been too many big carnivores getting added recently. Id like to see some herbivores for a change 

1 hour ago, Arambourgiania said:

I suppose the Megaraptor Blades weapon is pretty cool, but otherwise I'm not seeing much more than what Aberration already offers here. Spinosaurus (of which there are plenty on Ab) is already an excellent fighter with a great turn radius and damage buff near water, and the rock drake (which is meant to be a late-game reward) offers that incognito maneuverability through the caverns as a reward for going through the effort to tame one. Ultimately though, regardless of its abilities I just don't want another big theropod winning when there are so many other diverse creatures in the running, especially for a map like Aberration. In general, the game already offers plenty of large theropods and this just sounds like a mini Giga/Carc with some rock drake sprinkled on top. I know a lot of effort was clearly put into this submission and I'm obviously not affronting the creator themselves.

I do agree that it seems like just a much better rock drake, and I do think the rock drake shouldn't be made obscure, but I can't see how the rock drake is all that unique to begin with ability wise. It's "cloak" is hardly one, you can clearly make them out still, and besides that it has its wall climb, pounce, and reaper detection. Reaper detection isn't that crazy of an ability tbh, so that only leaves climbing and pounces. I suggest just to keep the rock drake relevant though, that the megaraptor would have a cloak/camouflage just as bad, and that it's bleed and berserker mode be removed, to keep the creature itself balanced, and for the rock drakes sake.

Just now, Wopper said:

I do agree that it seems like just a much better rock drake, and I do think the rock drake shouldn't be made obscure, but I can't see how the rock drake is all that unique to begin with ability wise. It's "cloak" is hardly one, you can clearly make them out still, and besides that it has its wall climb, pounce, and reaper detection. Reaper detection isn't that crazy of an ability tbh, so that only leaves climbing and pounces. I suggest just to keep the rock drake relevant though, that the megaraptor would have a cloak/camouflage just as bad, and that it's bleed and berserker mode be removed, to keep the creature itself balanced, and for the rock drakes sake.

Forgot to say that it shouldn't have wall climbing, and there are much better glide creatures, so the rock drake to begin with was a bit obscure, I just don't think anyone ever thought about it much.