AEROTITAN - The Approaching Storm (Custom Dossier)

Maxolotl

Suggestion

Aerotitan is supposed to be a fun mid to late game dino that can be used in PvP and PvE as it is highly malleable and can be slightly modified to more match your playstyle. 
Originally, I designed it to be a Tropeo with a gatling gun instead of a grenade launcher (a fighter instead of a bomber) because I already love the Tropeo and I wish the Quetzal had a little more polish/utility. I also love playing with the Astrodelphis so why not bring that fun back into the world of dinosaurs? Before the idea of a customizable saddle came to mind, Aero was originally going to have a very small platform saddle, maybe enough for two triangle foundations, that you could put your weapon of choice on but then I remembered- you cant pilot your tame and mount a turret at the same time, so I changed it from a platform saddle to a modular saddle. I know things will be changed before anything gets in the game, so I'll put it simply; 
Aerotitan was originally supposed to be a machine gun version of the Tropeo.
I've since revised it to make it more unique, but if everything gets cut in the end, I'd at least like it to have those sorts of traits. One last thing to note- above all, I spent most of my time and effort designing the thing to be Ark-friendly, so I hope- if it does get in the game- it keeps the markings / general design I made just for Studio WildCard! Now enough of this introduction, you guys want to see dinosaurs, not essays!

Blank dossier by Hamfist on Steam. Huge Thanks!

Aerotitan
The Approaching Storm

AeroDos.png

Wild
Aerotitan Sudamericanus is a flying terror and a force to be reckoned with. Their eerie bellow will alert you to their presence, as well as your own presence in *their* territory. The skies of Scorched Earth are their domain, going so far as to rival the power of the fantastical wyverns that conquer this ARK. While they typically end up turning tail before being able to overpower these foes, creatures like pteranodon, lymantria, vultures, and especially humans should certainly watch their backs around these greedy animals. Strangely, their flying only seems to get better in inclement weather, making the desert the perfect place for them to roost.

Tamed
While this pterosaur is a highly formidable opponent, even they have their limits. Should their opponent outlast them in combat, Aerotitan Sudamericanus will make a temporary tactical retreat to land and recover their stamina. Some survivors have taken this opportunity to place saddles on them and, if they can last long enough, ride the creature til it accepts that their new master isn't leaving anytime soon. Their impressive size and strength allows for a robust saddle that can support an interchangable module with an ammo box base, as well as one gas-powered turbine under each wing. The customizability of their gear allows for any survivor to easily persist in the unforgiving environment of the desert, be it against the deathworms of the wastelands or the most dangerous game there is.

Taming In Detail:
The survivor would have to level their stamina along with their target in order to add this tame to their tribe. After staying in an Aero's airspace for long enough, they will make a distinct cry to indicate taming has begun. The goal from here would be to bear the brunt of the dino's attacks until it's stamina drains completely, forcing it to land. Attacking it can also lower it's stamina but it would reduce effectiveness. The survivor would have ~15 seconds to access it's inventory, equip it with a saddle, and ride it; gaining more taming progress the longer the survivor stays on the saddle. Staying on the saddle while it is untamed drains a survivor's stamina and they will be forced to dismount when their stamina reaches 0. The survivor will then have one minute to get back into the air with the Aerotitan, repeating the process until taming is complete. If the survivor does not reach the Aerotitan again within one minute, the Aerotitan will destroy the saddle and taming will reset.

Unique Passive Ability: 
In rain, fog, electrical storms, or any other inclement weather, the Aerotitan gets a 20% speed boost.
DJ4275 suggested this buff be called Stormchasing.

Stats:
Health 575
Stamina 600
Oxygen 150
Food 1400
Weight 450
Melee 24*
Movement 710
Torpor 830

Saddle:
The saddle by default is only two turbines and an ammo box that can store a limited amount of a single ammo type, the limit being the carry weight of the tame. The ammo will not count towards the overall carryweight on the Aero, but the saddle weighs 30 units without an attachment. Each attachment weighs an extra 10 units. Only one attachment can be used at a time. The Aerotitan can fly/sprint without powered turbines, but only slightly faster than a quetzal. Gasoline still goes in the Aerotitan's inventory.

Saddle Attachments:
Rocket turret attachment- Same ingredients/functionality as the rocket turret.
Flak cannon attachment- Similar in functionality to the tropeognathus saddle, however, grenades can be retrieved from the ammo box on the Aero's back instead of it's inventory. 
Minigun turret attachment- A minigun that uses advanced rifle bullets from the ammo box part of the saddle. 

Controls:
(WASD)
Left Click: Bite
Right Click: Rear Up (Standing) / Kick (Flying)(Can be used in combination with grab to throw things to the ground)
X: Reverse (Standing (Makes the Aero turn around in place)) / Buck (Small, weak AOE attack)
C| Call (Standing (Aesthetic)) / Grab (Flying)(Cannot pick players off saddles)

Jet Controls:
Left Control: Activate Turbines
Left Click: Fire weapon (If not weapon equipped, bite)
Right Click: Bite
X: U-Turn
C| Grab

Design:

Design.png

Trivia: 
The design is generally based off a standard naturally-occurring jungle camouflage.
The four feathers that stick out from the back of the head are meant to resemble the nose propellers of some of the first military aircraft that were commercially used in the US. 
The "mouth" on the neck is inspired by a combination of several things; false markings like some smaller animals have to scare off predators (like the eye spots on an owl moth), the red feathers of a ruby-throated hummingbird, and the livery that is typically painted on A-10 Warthogs.
The eyes feature a red sclera and silver irises to look like those of a Bearded Vulture.

18 replies to this server topic

5 hours ago, DJ4275 said:

Ok so a rig is the technical body of a model. It's what gets animated  and what controls are based on. 

If you forcetame attack drones and breed them they give you tapejara eggs. If you use S+ a structure called the mutator I believe has the ability to change a creatures variant. If a tropeo or desmodus are in range it brings up X versions of both as options. When you choose this the desmodus or tropeo turns into an X tapejara. Plus if you fly a tapejara, desmodus, and tropeo they all fly the same. Backwards, forwards, left, right, etc. Hell the tropeo even has some of the same sounds. 

Now aside from wildcards sneaky shortcuts I made one of the many Palaeosinwa concepts. Specifically the one with name on it of course. A giant gila monster. Gila monsters if you don't know are venomous lizards about 2 feet in length from the Arid south west of north America. The first person to post the concept (and who shows up when you search for it) was WitheringSoul... something something. I think we have between 12 and 20 votes now and 4-8 entries for the same creature XD. 

Tapejara and tropeo do share the same armature/animations/sounds, but the tapejara isn't very great because, when you fly it, it just stays level and looks disturbingly unnatural. They (sort of) fixed that with tropeo as when you use the jet it switches controls to something more natural / fun to use. The desmodus has its own armature and, while the general controls are the same, it has a different method of offense/defense. Same with the astrodelphis. I agree there are lots of similar dinos but we need some more competent fliers and I think things like the tropeo and astrodelphis are excellent examples. Besides, I made aerotitan with its design in mind, not so much the mechanics. If we were doing something completely new, we could have it function like an actual jet where WASD wouldn't exactly apply and you'd have to use a combination of roll and pitch to execute turns. Actually, now that I think about it, we could use that in a combination of your suggestions to make it a very strong dino that only skilled players would be able to use :0
Also I saw the gila monster! But isn't the vote for extinct animals only?

1 hour ago, Maxolotl said:

Tapejara and tropeo do share the same armature/animations/sounds, but the tapejara isn't very great because, when you fly it, it just stays level and looks disturbingly unnatural. They (sort of) fixed that with tropeo as when you use the jet it switches controls to something more natural / fun to use. The desmodus has its own armature and, while the general controls are the same, it has a different method of offense/defense. Same with the astrodelphis. I agree there are lots of similar dinos but we need some more competent fliers and I think things like the tropeo and astrodelphis are excellent examples. Besides, I made aerotitan with its design in mind, not so much the mechanics. If we were doing something completely new, we could have it function like an actual jet where WASD wouldn't exactly apply and you'd have to use a combination of roll and pitch to execute turns. Actually, now that I think about it, we could use that in a combination of your suggestions to make it a very strong dino that only skilled players would be able to use :0
Also I saw the gila monster! But isn't the vote for extinct animals only?

OOOH! I didn't even think of jet controls that would be awesome!

Oh and the Gila monster we used was Palaeosinwa, a prehistoric gila that was similar in size to a komodo dragon. The modern one is a descendant of Palaeosinwa and only about 20 inches long. Looking tiny compared to its 6-10 foot ancestor and 15-20 foot ark counterpart. 

Oh and I only said I didn't want tapejara clone 6 as a jab at wildcard not directed at your concept.

Probably my favorite flyer concept I've seen in a while. 

This is a really cool idea. But I'd personally just want variants of saddles for creatures in general. 

Not my personal vote since I don't want tapejara clone number 4 or 5. (If you didn't know the attack drone, desmodus, and tropeo all use the tapejar rig)

Another creature I don't personally want but wouldn't be bothered receiving. Good luck. And hey if you don't win this time for scorched you can always rerun and alter for extinction. 

This is very well thought out but here's some other ideas stemmed off it.

The call backs to warplanes are great. 

Which is where an idea for a 4th attachment comes into play. 

Some kind of bomber or missile system. Scorched introduced the homing rockets after all. 

So either a missile system that carries 4 to 8 expensive rounds. 

2 or 3 big bombs

Or those sheets of bombs like they had in a star wars movie. 

A 5th concept for an attachment could be some kind of napalm. Scorched loves its flaming weaponry. 

Aside from extra attachments I think some interesting ideas could be things like making the thrusters actually deal damage to things behind them, crash landing having consequences, and some unique visual effects when the "stormchasing" ability, for lack of a term, is active. Perhaps some swirls, slicing air, or luminescence. 

If you don't win and come back for extinction you could even throw some tek weaponry or partially tek weaponry in there. 

Good luck fellow entry person. 

13 hours ago, DJ4275 said:

This is a really cool idea. But I'd personally just want variants of saddles for creatures in general. 

Not my personal vote since I don't want tapejara clone number 4 or 5. (If you didn't know the attack drone, desmodus, and tropeo all use the tapejar rig)

Another creature I don't personally want but wouldn't be bothered receiving. Good luck. And hey if you don't win this time for scorched you can always rerun and alter for extinction. 

This is very well thought out but here's some other ideas stemmed off it.

The call backs to warplanes are great. 

Which is where an idea for a 4th attachment comes into play. 

Some kind of bomber or missile system. Scorched introduced the homing rockets after all. 

So either a missile system that carries 4 to 8 expensive rounds. 

2 or 3 big bombs

Or those sheets of bombs like they had in a star wars movie. 

A 5th concept for an attachment could be some kind of napalm. Scorched loves its flaming weaponry. 

Aside from extra attachments I think some interesting ideas could be things like making the thrusters actually deal damage to things behind them, crash landing having consequences, and some unique visual effects when the "stormchasing" ability, for lack of a term, is active. Perhaps some swirls, slicing air, or luminescence. 

If you don't win and come back for extinction you could even throw some tek weaponry or partially tek weaponry in there. 

Good luck fellow entry person. 

I didn't think about unique weapon systems! Guess I was too busy thinking about a single-person quetzal rather than a really new flier. Also what do you mean by "rig"? Like same controls? ALSO stormchasing ability is a killer name for that buff, mind if I add it?
Last question I swear- what's your entry? :0 I'll see if I can't trace it via your profile.

The saddle by default is only two turbines and an ammo box that can store a limited amount of a single ammo type, the limit being the carry weight of the tame. The ammo will not count towards the overall carryweight on the Aero, but the saddle weighs 30 units without an attachment. Each attachment weighs an extra 10 units. Only one attachment can be used at a time. The Aerotitan can fly/sprint without powered turbines, but only slightly faster than a quetzal. Gasoline still goes in the Aerotitan's inventory stc monthly internet packages

19 hours ago, DJ4275 said:

OOOH! I didn't even think of jet controls that would be awesome!

Oh and the Gila monster we used was Palaeosinwa, a prehistoric gila that was similar in size to a komodo dragon. The modern one is a descendant of Palaeosinwa and only about 20 inches long. Looking tiny compared to its 6-10 foot ancestor and 15-20 foot ark counterpart. 

Oh and I only said I didn't want tapejara clone 6 as a jab at wildcard not directed at your concept.

Probably my favorite flyer concept I've seen in a while. 

Thank you for the ideas and support! Also I voted for your gila, we need more burrowing creatures! (Aberration Fan lol)

18 hours ago, Arambourgiania said:

I really like its design in this submission, and I'd really only be interested in having it in the game if it looked like this. Having this on Scorched Earth especially would be ideal because this would be a good wyvern counter.

I hope it'll be good- not just against wyverns- but also against the Manticore since fliers are allowed in that arena  : D

Ok so a rig is the technical body of a model. It's what gets animated  and what controls are based on. 

If you forcetame attack drones and breed them they give you tapejara eggs. If you use S+ a structure called the mutator I believe has the ability to change a creatures variant. If a tropeo or desmodus are in range it brings up X versions of both as options. When you choose this the desmodus or tropeo turns into an X tapejara. Plus if you fly a tapejara, desmodus, and tropeo they all fly the same. Backwards, forwards, left, right, etc. Hell the tropeo even has some of the same sounds. 

Now aside from wildcards sneaky shortcuts I made one of the many Palaeosinwa concepts. Specifically the one with name on it of course. A giant gila monster. Gila monsters if you don't know are venomous lizards about 2 feet in length from the Arid south west of north America. The first person to post the concept (and who shows up when you search for it) was WitheringSoul... something something. I think we have between 12 and 20 votes now and 4-8 entries for the same creature XD. 

39 minutes ago, Maxolotl said:

I didn't think about unique weapon systems! Guess I was too busy thinking about a single-person quetzal rather than a really new flier. Also what do you mean by "rig"? Like same controls? ALSO stormchasing ability is a killer name for that buff, mind if I add it?
Last question I swear- what's your entry? :0 I'll see if I can't trace it via your profile.

9 hours ago, Stewered said:

The saddle by default is only two turbines and an ammo box that can store a limited amount of a single ammo type, the limit being the carry weight of the tame. The ammo will not count towards the overall carryweight on the Aero, but the saddle weighs 30 units without an attachment. Each attachment weighs an extra 10 units. Only one attachment can be used at a time. The Aerotitan can fly/sprint without powered turbines, but only slightly faster than a quetzal. Gasoline still goes in the Aerotitan's inventory stc monthly internet packages

.w... ..what..?

Archived