The Fuzzy Jumping-Spider Tranq Bola - Maevia Eureka! [UPDATED+NEW ART!]

I do have a suggestion, as it is an insect, and pretty op, maybe it would be extremely weak to fire, and piercing attacks? Just a simple suggestion to make it more likely to be added, Thanks for reading!
( oh and megatherium would be the ultimate counter with possibly being able to pick it up? )

Edited by FadeTheWitness
Accidentally posted and decided to fix instead of delete
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, FadeTheWitness said:

I do have a suggestion, as it is an insect, and pretty op, maybe it would be extremely weak to fire, and piercing attacks? Just a simple suggestion to make it more likely to be added, Thanks for reading!
( oh and megatherium would be the ultimate counter with possibly being able to pick it up? )

Definitely would work and all ideas of counters are great, they are important too for balance! My partner even suggested the potential for these to have a little side perk that mirrors real life, extra damage versus other spider types! Will be adding this for sure ❤️ 

1 hour ago, Helianthus said:

I think this guy actually stands a chance of winning. I've watched a few Youtube videos on the Top 10 and most of the comments mention voting for this, the Moa, and the Gigantoraptor.

If this guy wins, I suggest giving it a small egg-raising QOL. Let it build / make an "egg pouch" (just like real-world spiders) and let us use it as a primitive incubator. 

That is an extremely good point and idea, ngl I would lose it seeing their babies pouring out, they are so cute! I would certainly be far beyond speechless if Maevia made it, something that I often feel might be too good to be true! :)She's certainly up against some really awesome creatures this time around, I am a bit surprised as so many people think spiders are gross/horrific and want nothing to do with them, I was happy to at least have captured what makes them much cuter in the art! Also, about the eggs... I was hearing that the whole raising system and everything is going to be revamped in ark ascension, so fingers crossed this might for sure be a thing for the spiders?!

I cant say enough about how much I vouch for this idea, there is so much thought put into it, and there's so many ideas.

I have a few more ideas, and I will post them here.

1) Trickshot! ( Anti air web-shots )
Maevia can "shoot" globules of webbing and hit fliers, gumming up their wings and making them fall at a decreased amount of fall damage from the wind catching silk (balanced so it isn't punishing). The fliers would be stuck down as though they were net gunned for a slightly less amount of time. Another detail is that the bigger the wings/flier, the more webbing needed to take it down, also depends on what type of wings be it webbed or feathered.

2) Latching
Maevia could jump onto targets similar to deinonychus, and could dig into their prey and reposition themselves while staying attached, and possibly even slow down and web dinosaurs they attach to, preemptively webbing their meal.

3) Tripping prey
If a Maevia is chasing prey and it isn't catching up, it can web its quarry's moving limbs, tripping it up. In the case of a player running from one of these adorable assassins, it would show as the player being put into the crouch position, or bola'd for a short moment.

4) Babies, babies, babies
Maevia are spiders, and spider eggs naturally have many young within them. This would be represented by very high chances of triplets and quadruplets, with possibly higher amounts of hatchlings being born at once. And another part of this is that Males are more commonly born than females are.

5) Picky Eaters
Also, as they are predominantly known for hunting other arthropods, chitin, meat, and blood packs are the only food sources to Maevia.

6) Bad Baby!
Maevia brood have an additional behavior that mass breeders hate. The age of hatchling is where the worst of the cannibalism occurs. They will eat any other arthropod the size of, or smaller than them, which are very commonly their own siblings.

7) Worst date ever
Even in domestic breeding of Maevia, cannibalism is very common. If a female Maevia isn't impressed by a male, it will attack the male even if both are tamed, and will not stop until it cannot sense the male anymore, and if caught the female will eat the male killing it instantly. Be careful with breeding these hungry ladies.

This is my 7 suggestions, I hope you enjoy and consider adding them.

Edited by FadeTheWitness
Thought of some funny names for the ideas!
  • Like 1

OFC thats alright! I didnt know about the cheetah, ( I would love to see that creature submission if you could find it btw)
And you are the owner of this submission, and you can use whichever parts of my suggestion as thats what they are, throwing and seeing what sticks lol. I am more than happy any of my stuff was added, thanks for letting me know about this though! @Sovira
( also I only thought of the tripping part because I thought " What would be hilarious and yet horrifying at the same time? Oh I know! A deer sized spider charging you down after it tagged you off your feet!" lol )

AWWW, ADORABLE! Also, thats very sad that the cheetah was pushed out of a top 10 spot. I hope they make it next year, and that this amazing arthropod makes it to the top vote at the end, as we need more arachnids in ark. We have broodmother which is very loosely a spider, and untameable. We have araneo which is okay, needs a TLC desperately though, and we have bloodstalker which isnt even truly a spider, more of a pseudo-spider

Hey is there a place where I can see the current " leaderboard " of the top 10?

Edited by FadeTheWitness
Maxed out chatting
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, FadeTheWitness said:

I cant say enough about how much I vouch for this idea, there is so much thought put into it, and there's so many ideas.

Maevia can "shoot" globules of webbing and hit fliers, gumming up their wings and making them fall at a decreased amount of fall damage from the wind catching silk (balanced so it isn't punishing). The fliers would be stuck down as though they were net gunned for a slightly less amount of time. Another detail is that the bigger the wings/flier, the more webbing needed to take it down, also depends on what type of wings be it webbed or feathered.

2) Latching
Maevia could jump onto targets similar to deinonychus, and could dig into their prey and reposition themselves while staying attached, and possibly even slow down and web dinosaurs they attach to, preemptively webbing their meal.

3) Tripping prey
If a Maevia is chasing prey and it isn't catching up, it can web its quarry's moving limbs, tripping it up. In the case of a player running from one of these adorable assassins, it would show as the player being put into the crouch position, or bola'd for a short moment.

Maevia are spiders, and spider eggs naturally have many young within them. This would be represented by very high chances of triplets and quadruplets, with possibly higher amounts of hatchlings being born at once. And another part of this is that Males are more commonly born than females are.

5) Picky Eaters
Also, as they are predominantly known for hunting other arthropods, chitin, meat, and blood packs are the only food sources to Maevia.

6) Bad Baby!
Maevia brood have an additional behavior that mass breeders hate. The age of hatchling is where the worst of the cannibalism occurs. They will eat any other arthropod the size of, or smaller than them, which are very commonly their own siblings.

7) Worst date ever
Even in domestic breeding of Maevia, cannibalism is very common. If a female Maevia isn't impressed by a male, it will attack the male even if both are tamed, and will not stop until it cannot sense the male anymore, and if caught the female will eat the male killing it instantly. Be careful with breeding these hungry ladies.

These are wonderful, thank you! I do know the cheetah submission did have the prey tripping mechanic, I might leave that just out of the main post out of respect for them in case the cheetah ever does make it into Ark, I hope that is okay! They made it super close so we might just see that mechanic put to use with them in the future! (please let me know if I am wrong for this, just doing my best to try and be respectful ❤️) All the others are on the main post! 

1 hour ago, FadeTheWitness said:

OFC thats alright! I didnt know about the cheetah, ( I would love to see that creature submission if you could find it btw)
And you are the owner of this submission, and you can use whichever parts of my suggestion as thats what they are, throwing and seeing what sticks lol. I am more than happy any of my stuff was added, thanks for letting me know about this though! @Sovira

Here it is! I think it would've been pretty sweet for Scorched Earth too, maybe it can win on another map or if not, we can see it in the future, heck maybe they will do another round of these on the maps even! Also thank you for your understanding I really appreciate it!!! ❤️ 

Edited by Sovira
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Helianthus said:

Right now I wouldn't be mad if this entry won. I'm still leaning towards the Giant Moa, but this was my second pick, followed by Gigantoraptor. 

I'm not surprised it's popular. Jumping spiders are really cute, to the point where some people with severe arachnophobia can tolerate them. The Beetle would have been the frontrunner if the guy didn't steal the artwork and entry and changed it into some generic thing.

I do appreciate that! There were a good few comments of disgust about the spider on Youtube Ark videos, and so many saying it would be better off in Aberration, so I could see where so many would deliberately put it last. Honestly, both the beetle and the gorgan have been through a lot, I honestly wish that if certain submissions reached a number of these events that they didn't win but were always close enough to have the chance, they would by default at least get put on a 'to be added at a later date' type of thing, rather than just continuing to have that chance to suffer loss after loss after loss, but I understand it does take costs and such as well as time, but there will always be new maps, player-made ones too in the future in which they could certainly be added to, so can hope at least!

7 hours ago, Sovira said:

Here it is! I think it would've been pretty sweet for Scorched Earth too, maybe it can win on another map or if not, we can see it in the future, heck maybe they will do another round of these on the maps even! Also thank you for your understanding I really appreciate it!!! ❤️ 

Thanks for tagging the Acinonyx! The Jumper is definitely a fun idea as well and could be interesting to see in Abberation with its wild coloration!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, FadeTheWitness said:

2) Latching

3) Tripping prey

5) Picky Eaters

6) Bad Baby!

7) Worst date ever

This ideas are great !

I had new ideas thanks to you so I updated my suggestion here :

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TerronScibe said:

I wish the Araneo did those things anyways!! It should have a Climbing, Leap, and Hanging (from thread) feature.

I do like the Maevia design.

Omg I would love the ability for the spiders to just, go up to the ceiling and hang by a thread down to the ground whenever they wanted to!

• Like 1