The Fuzzy Jumping-Spider Tranq Bola - Maevia Eureka! [UPDATED+NEW ART!]

Sovira

4 hours ago, Luux said:

(WHY do so many bugs need TLCs in Ark WHY?!)

Literally this :( it's so sad seeing the scorpion in the state that it's in still, I do look forward to seeing an amazing (TLC?) revamp of it and other insects in ASA! Though I know it's had worse days, like back when they would drown in a tiny puddle of water lol.

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 hours ago, Luux said:

- Can harvest Silk? Nah, or make it to harvest over time from its inventory?

- Should have basically no fall damage like Deinonychyus cause it's so light. So you can jump at your leisure, the only thing cuter i can see them doing is using a silk woven net to glide by hanging onto it.

- Females would be a side hazard to deal with by being aggressive unlike the males, and part of the progression of taming them.

- Fear should be limited to things smaller than Yuty can fear but not by a huge amount. Cause a tiny fluffy spider should not scare a Yutyrannus or Wyvern away.

Added a few of these to our suggestions on the submission for Maevia! Hope this was okay! As for the fear I totally agree for balancing issues! The idea I originally had was for them to be hanging on walls or by thread specifically to scare off massive predators as a form of base defense at first as they would be up high, and presenting a 'terrifying face' appearance mimicking something larger than them due to position, and traits like the small caterpillars who mimic snakes to scare off birds, but I understand balancing has to come into play for all of this to work out properly! The goal in mind for that thought was strictly a deterrant for gigas / charchars type of thing, but when the spider is on ground level, 100% exactly as you stated was what I had in mind, but I am not smart with the idea of balancing and such, so let me know if you disagree with this whole concept as well! I do appreciate the input ❤️ 

7 hours ago, missyvissie said:

Oh I love the new additions!! So fleshed out now! Fingers crossed we'll get this beauty in game eventually 💗

Yesss!!! I'm doing a concept for its saddle since that was asked about, and I do have some extra ideas to attribute to that, I would love to hear any other ideas anyone has for this little cutie!

I know my comment will be unpopular but... I don't care😎👍, I want to be honest not the classic fake commenting just because it's top. The creature is very interesting, the skills and appearance are also interesting but.... having the risk of inserting yet another Kaiju Insect doesn't excite me that much, even if it has an excellent Dinodossier. And I'm sorry to say it because from the comments and from your work you put love into this submission... and for this alone you deserve the top.

11 minutes ago, Ermerus said:

I know my comment will be unpopular but... I don't care😎👍, I want to be honest not the classic fake commenting just because it's top. The creature is very interesting, the skills and appearance are also interesting but.... having the risk of inserting yet another Kaiju Insect doesn't excite me that much, even if it has an excellent Dinodossier. And I'm sorry to say it because from the comments and from your work you put love into this submission... and for this alone you deserve the top.

That is COMPLETELY fair! And I really do understand, I felt a bit off myself because I knew people would be upset if yet another insect of any form was put up seeing as how we just got an insect, you are absolutely right, this has been years in the making discussing the idea of how fun jumping spiders would be if they ever made it to ark, right now as we are speaking I have my tablet up working on another jumping spider painting to display more things I've added to it and an alternate coloration to boot, even making it to the top 10 at all was a privilege to me, and I thank you for your honesty and kindness :) 

On 4/8/2023 at 8:47 AM, Sovira said:

Grapple thread ability capable of attaching to eggs, though there would need to be equal risk to this kind of ease of reward.

It's a cool idea.

In my opinion, this is not easily compatible with the taming abilities. Taming abilities are more useful early-game while getting eggs is more mid-game to late-game. So you can either catch eggs early game or tame more easily in mid-game. Both case aren't very interesting. Also, if this creature can catch eggs that are heavy, that would require better stats for transport purpose.

But everything is possible so that might work somehow :D

On 4/8/2023 at 8:47 AM, Sovira said:

Silk potentially either being farmed more efficiently (3x) from the spider(s) or automatically generating in inventory, or in its own nest of webbing that the player can collect from.

As for generating silk, it's useful but so few items require silk to craft and Scorched earth has already several ways to get it.

Silk can be harvested from Lymantria that can be the perfect prey for this spider. The spider can have a boost to harvest silk from corpses.

While a link with silk for this spider is a good idea, I would rather make the spider consumes the silk for its abilities.

I mean, locking on large creatures/flyers might be powerful but if it consumes silk in order to activate the ability, it will add a limit than just stamina. Large prey require a lot of silk that the spider can't generate fast so a silk boost is coherent. The silk can increase the range of the locking on ability as another example.

I am thinking that the wild abilities of the spider can be bad but can be improved with the saddle. Somehow, the saddle can add a launcher to project the net very far from what the creature can do by itself. Using the ability on large targets will require large amount of silk and add another use for silk.

@Sovira : you wanted some ideas for the saddle. I am thinking about a saddle with a mechanism on its rear to amplify its net casting ability. The mechanism, a kind of sewing machine, will generate a large net like a net projectile (https://ark.fandom.com/wiki/Net_Projectile_(Genesis:_Part_2)) but all made of silk that can be launched at a target.

Maybe the saddle can load the launcher by crafting a net from silk in the inventory. The crafting will requires a lot of time, there can only be one net at he same time and the net can't be removed from the saddle. If the crafting time is improved by the crafting stat, it can add an use for the crafting stat in PvP (Engineers in fight).

Well, I am just brainstorming the silk idea. There are so much possibilities !

12 hours ago, Sovira said:

That is COMPLETELY fair! And I really do understand, I felt a bit off myself because I knew people would be upset if yet another insect of any form was put up seeing as how we just got an insect, you are absolutely right, this has been years in the making discussing the idea of how fun jumping spiders would be if they ever made it to ark, right now as we are speaking I have my tablet up working on another jumping spider painting to display more things I've added to it and an alternate coloration to boot, even making it to the top 10 at all was a privilege to me, and I thank you for your honesty and kindness :) 

Pretend I didn't tell you anything and anyway... don't throw away the concept, even if you don't win it would be interesting to see it in another context like the center, take my vote

Just here to say: I'm sad the cheetah got bumped out of the top ten, but this little guy is fun and cool. There's others in the top 10 I'd rather switch the cheetah back in and remove them over this little guy as it seems well thought-out and interesting. If it doesn't win in the end, I hope to see it submitted again for Aberration as I think it'd be good for that map too. Good luck.

11 hours ago, FentScifer said:

It's a cool idea.

In my opinion, this is not easily compatible with the taming abilities. Taming abilities are more useful early-game while getting eggs is more mid-game to late-game. So you can either catch eggs early game or tame more easily in mid-game. Both case aren't very interesting. Also, if this creature can catch eggs that are heavy, that would require better stats for transport purpose.

But everything is possible so that might work somehow :D

I do agree, I can see where having both would be a bit much, I could mark this as just a complete alternative thing!

11 hours ago, FentScifer said:

As for generating silk, it's useful but so few items require silk to craft and Scorched earth has already several ways to get it.

Silk can be harvested from Lymantria that can be the perfect prey for this spider. The spider can have a boost to harvest silk from corpses.

While a link with silk for this spider is a good idea, I would rather make the spider consumes the silk for its abilities.

I mean, locking on large creatures/flyers might be powerful but if it consumes silk in order to activate the ability, it will add a limit than just stamina. Large prey require a lot of silk that the spider can't generate fast so a silk boost is coherent. The silk can increase the range of the locking on ability as another example.

I am thinking that the wild abilities of the spider can be bad but can be improved with the saddle. Somehow, the saddle can add a launcher to project the net very far from what the creature can do by itself. Using the ability on large targets will require large amount of silk and add another use for silk.

@Sovira : you wanted some ideas for the saddle. I am thinking about a saddle with a mechanism on its rear to amplify its net casting ability. The mechanism, a kind of sewing machine, will generate a large net like a net projectile (https://ark.fandom.com/wiki/Net_Projectile_(Genesis:_Part_2)) but all made of silk that can be launched at a target.

Maybe the saddle can load the launcher by crafting a net from silk in the inventory. The crafting will requires a lot of time, there can only be one net at he same time and the net can't be removed from the saddle. If the crafting time is improved by the crafting stat, it can add an use for the crafting stat in PvP (Engineers in fight).

Well, I am just brainstorming the silk idea. There are so much possibilities !

Ok, I'm definitely loving the silk cost idea and the saddle as a net projectile, this is such a good idea and would be a great way to make it make sense rather than it just squeezing out a whole web all at once as well! I *might* try to add a visual for the saddle being maybe a harness with the contraption on the side, if I can't do it I'll leave it as is with the other optional idea I had in mind that I'll be sharing soon with the picture!

7 hours ago, Ermerus said:

Pretend I didn't tell you anything and anyway... don't throw away the concept, even if you don't win it would be interesting to see it in another context like the center, take my vote

It's okay! I seriously appreciate that so much!!! Every vote means a tremendous amount to me so thank you! I will definitely keep at it with this ❤️ 

1 hour ago, LittleSpicyOreos said:

Just here to say: I'm sad the cheetah got bumped out of the top ten, but this little guy is fun and cool. There's others in the top 10 I'd rather switch the cheetah back in and remove them over this little guy as it seems well thought-out and interesting. If it doesn't win in the end, I hope to see it submitted again for Aberration as I think it'd be good for that map too. Good luck.

I... actually feel you with this. I really do love many of the other submissions, the cheetah being at the top on my personal list, as I have been keeping an eye on it in hopes that it might succeed to the top as well! I freaking love cheetahs and their cute chirps, I'd live for that on Ark some day and I hope the author will keep trying if they don't happen to make it this round! I genuinely hope they pull through! I tossed votes at several others that made it to the top including the cheetah as well as some that hadn't made it but looked wonderful and very well thought out, I really hope that maybe Wildcard considers doing this maybe even further than just each map in the future, perhaps every now and then through new maps? That would seriously be awesome and give tons the chance to get their ideas shared into Ark as well! Thank you and best of luck to your beloved cheetah as well!

• Sovira changed the title to The Fuzzy Jumping-Spider Tranq Bola - Maevia Eureka! [UPDATED+NEW ART!]

I absolutely love this idea, very fitting with the Scorched earth atmosphere. I do have a suggestion for a (mostly visual) change. Instead of that weird looking web projectile that araneos shoot, how about a web line similar to a https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bolas_spider Bolas spider? I saw the detail mentioning snatching eggs, maybe it could be used for that?

25 minutes ago, SarraceniaUser said:

I absolutely love this idea, very fitting with the Scorched earth atmosphere. I do have a suggestion for a (mostly visual) change. Instead of that weird looking web projectile that araneos shoot, how about a web line similar to a https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bolas_spider Bolas spider? I saw the detail mentioning snatching eggs, maybe it could be used for that?

Oh wow! I've heard of bolas spiders but never knew they could do that, that's WAY too cool, going to add your idea into the suggestions section for sure, hopefully that's ok! :) Thank you!

Archived