Giganotosaurus rare?

Sayenna

So today we went to Far's Peak with our boat to harvest the large amounts of obsidian found there, take a look, and tame some dinos that we didn't have yet. We found a Giganotosaurus (my first), that luckily was doing his own thing and didn't mind us that much. However, later he suddenly strolled unto the beach and killed two of our dinos when destroying our raft. We kited him into the ocean where he eventually drowned. That said, back on the mountain, there was another Giga that seemed to be stuck at the mountain. Taking an Argy to the top, we found six (!) Gigas that were strolling about.

The ARK gamepedia says that they are "Solitary hunters" and "very rare". I had tried to convince my tribe mates that the mountain was safe enough, and that Gigas were very rare, so that after that first one we had a safe zone to harvest the obsidian... Now they will never believe me again.

Is this a glitch or just a coincidence, or quite normal? I really thought that only a few could be present at one time on the whole island, and six on one square metre is, well, an overkill in my opinion.

Anyone else experienced this?

5 hours ago, Sayenna said:

So this was a really weird situation?

@EvilChaosDX They were on Far's Peak, on top and on the side of the mountain. So yes, I exaggerated, but they were pretty close together.

Looks like they messed up the spawn rate for the gigas (sorry if someone else already posted this I didn't look)

But it's been mentioned elsewhere.

3 hours ago, XcrazeddoctorX said:

If on dedicated server if the server had reset multiple times recently, it may collectively spawn them in the same location, my SP world has a good bit of gigas on the mountain across the volcano, at least 12. if on official I would tame them so fast *drools*

That is what happens! Now I understand. We have our private dedicated server that we shut down when we don't play, and restart when we do. Apparently it spawns a Giga each time at the mountain..

Archived