Camera movement can change flightpath of volcano projectiles

Zapha

OK, that sounds crazy but I'm sure that the movement of the player camera can change the flightpath of volcano projectiles and increase their range. I accidently nuked my base two times with this.

Details: I built another base, this time in the volcano biome. I watched the volcano eruption very often to be sure I build out of the range of the impacts. But one day my base got an impossible impact hit from below, means some pillars and cables below my base platform got damaged, but the stuff on the platform was undamaged. The angle was impossible to fly for the projectile, it could normaly hit my base only from above.
I did two things while this happened: I was standing on a rock a bit below my platform and I moved my camera in a way that the volcano came into sight.

If you ever have moved your camera while an eruption in a way that the volcano comes in and out of sight you notice a strange behaviour of the projectiles flightpaths: For a moment they are not ballistic but straight linear with a kink. I always thought that's only a display bug, but now I'm sure this can sometimes lead to a calculation error in a way that the projectile really has this linear-with-kink flightpath ... and can then fly much further than normal.

And today it happened the second time: While the eruption I built stuff and got the volcano in sight and got nuked in the same way like before. Impact roughly at my height below the platform into the pillars. Again impossible angle, a regulear flying projectile could only hit from above.

Now I always avoid looking at the volcano while an eruption, that helps. Would be good if the devs take a look into this. Especially because I assume it's possible to destroy other bases if this bug is real.

Archived