Building a fence around my base, help!

Panda0108

Okay so I've been at this for hours and I hope to god it's something obvious because right now I just want to get it over with, so basically I've been building a fence around my base (single player) and when it came to connecting both ends of the fence to a gate (dinosaur gateway) it's just not happening nothing is lining up and it's just so frustrating! I've tried scrapping the gate and just seeing if both ends of the fence will come together, nope! No luck there either, I've ran out of ideas so I need some help off people who actually know what they're doing haha :) 

Im assuming you are using fence foundations? IF so build them where you want the gate, and it will snap to them, the gate is 2 wide. IE; build foundations surrounding or blocking off where you want the wall to be, leave 2 of the foundations without walls on it. Place dino gate in open spot, then if you want you can remove the foundations in the doorway afterwards.

another option is to use your mouse wheel to go into third person view to get a basic line up on where you want to place the gate then press k to get a longer view away from your character. this way you can line up the gate exactly as you want it without needing it to "snap" to anything. comes in handy if you are making more complex angles in your outside walls.

Hey guys thanks to all of you for the replies, sorry it's a late reply I've been busy with life lol yeah I basically did what you said BABarakkis it was oh so simple in the end and I felt like a noob but hey it's all in the name learning how to play ark hahah and yeah Panteni87 I'm thinking of doing double walls myself also what is the location of your base in that screenshot ? 

Thank you all for the replies you've helped me millions. 

On 11-4-2016 at 9:06 AM, Panda0108 said:

Hey guys thanks to all of you for the replies, sorry it's a late reply I've been busy with life lol yeah I basically did what you said BABarakkis it was oh so simple in the end and I felt like a noob but hey it's all in the name learning how to play ark hahah and yeah Panteni87 I'm thinking of doing double walls myself also what is the location of your base in that screenshot ? 

Thank you all for the replies you've helped me millions. 

It's in on the southeast landtongue, just across herbie island :D Great spot if you don't work with metal too much. 

On 4/9/2016 at 7:07 AM, panteni87 said:

well... i tried to upload another screenshot so it's clearer, but even in a new post this isn't possible. 
What a forum...

Use a hosting service such as IMGUR and link the picture to this forum.

As you have mined all of the rocks around Drayo's Cove and Herbivore Island for your base, Take a raft, the wood and thatch needed for crafting stone walls,  and your Doedicurus, if you have one, over to Rock Point. Sail to the West to find it. Tons of mineable stone piles and boulders over there.

dZ4RWj6.jpg

Whilst we're talking fence building, here's a timelapse video of us building our PvE base defenses. It uses metal walls on metal fence foundations, as well as an outer layer of metal spiked walls stacked two high (by putting two high metal pillars in between each spike fence and putting another on top of the fence post).

On 4/10/2016 at 5:04 PM, LosNopales said:

Would be nice though to have a key that would allow Snap foundation in a straight line.  It just takes too long sometimes to make a straight wall.  Nothing more annoying to overlap foundation too much and then not being able to put walls.

i found the easiest way was to face the fence foundation you want to link to then it snaps together very easily just by walking backwards as you go.

5 hours ago, Martyn said:

Yeh this is the usual method, problem is that going up or down an incline can actually reverse the facing of the foundation, so your fence looks messed up with 2-3 sections facing the wrong way.  Not much of an issue with metal, but it is with stone or below.   Sometimes the angle you're looking at the previous foundation is also important.   It's a very messy system.. esp when you need to look at what seems like a single pixel to get the foundation to place.  But if anyone thinks placing foundation on land is hard, wait until you try to do it underwater..

Then you will start to scream.

Nice base panteni, my first ever base was where that last shot is.  Only the walls were twice the height.

yeah... i wanted to make it larger as well... but singleplayer :P had to be realistic :P

10 hours ago, Martyn said:

Yeh this is the usual method, problem is that going up or down an incline can actually reverse the facing of the foundation, so your fence looks messed up with 2-3 sections facing the wrong way.

try pressing e when you have that issue it should rotate the fence foundation / wall you are trying to place.

I have never successfully snapped a gate to anything.  Not once.  I am my server admin and have spent quite a bit of time cheating in building components and doing everything I can think of or have been shown - snapping gates just doesn't wok in my opinion.  I just leave enough space for the gate and build accordingly.  Building in ARK is one of the more frustrating things because you can wind up wasting large amounts of resources.  I'm not sure if this was already posted, but this video helped me out quite a bit:

Archived