Looking for clarity - Winter Wonderland and the cold

Sim...

Right now is seems hard to get some clear info on the cold in Winter Wonderland. Lots of confusion, conflicting info and healthy dose of FUD.

Seems to be quite a few reports saying that the cold is a pretty serious factor and really impacting a lot of players. Now that seems to be a little nuts as it would mean that all the new players they want to attract at Christmas, especially with the sale on are going to spawn with no gear into an environment that's a whole new level of fatal above the norm.

That doesn't make a lot of sense, is the cold really as bad as folks are making it out to be?

I'm usually in my cloth gear when working in our base and I'm never affected by the weather, either way.  Since the Winter Wonderland, I'm getting cold from time to time, but it didn't affect my stats at all. 

I would guess that you probably need to eat a little more often and if a blizzard comes through stay near a fire at the lower levels.  It seems that the cold had more of an effect the closer I got to the snow biome. I would suggest staying further south for newbies, carrying extra food and have a campfire available, if you are out and about. 

Sprinting around doing your normal duties has become a bit stressful, but it is welcomed, in my opinion. I do feel for the newcomers to the game and can only imagine the added layer of stress to the game. It couldn't be that difficult, though already knowing and having a plan as an experienced player makes all the difference.

I bought the game yesterday (yay love the Christmas sale!!) I decided to go on single player for the first day to get to know how to do things and for the first couple of hours things went reasonably well. I managed to get cloth armor made, a fire and basic tools. I killed a couple of things and cooked some meat. Survived without too much trouble through a couple of nights, but then got killed by a dino so after respawning I decided to log out for a break. 

When I came back into game on the same character the update downloaded and I spawned in to the new snowy beach during daytime, but I couldn't make it through the night. I made cloth armor and a fire and torch, but I couldn't leave my fire long enough to hunt down any meat and I was starving all the time, all I could do was keep gathering a few berries then going back to my fire and tried to last till morning but I kept freezing to death. I put my fire on the beach not in the trees so that I could see any predators coming, but I could only just make it to and from the fire without freezing to get berries, and eventually I froze standing right beside the fire.

Maybe I will try to make two or three fires today, but I couldn't leave long enough to gather more fuel last night. Really like the game though, and this was only a test character to get to know how to do things, so I'm not really too bothered, didn't have much to lose haha.

On 12/23/2015 at 9:22 AM, Truly said:

I bought the game yesterday (yay love the Christmas sale!!) I decided to go on single player for the first day to get to know how to do things and for the first couple of hours things went reasonably well. I managed to get cloth armor made, a fire and basic tools. I killed a couple of things and cooked some meat. Survived without too much trouble through a couple of nights, but then got killed by a dino so after respawning I decided to log out for a break. 

When I came back into game on the same character the update downloaded and I spawned in to the new snowy beach during daytime, but I couldn't make it through the night. I made cloth armor and a fire and torch, but I couldn't leave my fire long enough to hunt down any meat and I was starving all the time, all I could do was keep gathering a few berries then going back to my fire and tried to last till morning but I kept freezing to death. I put my fire on the beach not in the trees so that I could see any predators coming, but I could only just make it to and from the fire without freezing to get berries, and eventually I froze standing right beside the fire.

Maybe I will try to make two or three fires today, but I couldn't leave long enough to gather more fuel last night. Really like the game though, and this was only a test character to get to know how to do things, so I'm not really too bothered, didn't have much to lose haha.

I actually tested last night on official servers as I don't generally play on them. If I spawned in south even 2 points in fortitude made a HUGE difference not only does it make the cold affect you less but it also makes your food and water drain slower.

Archived