What makes a good server admin?

jenky

All, 

I run what I would call a relatively successful ark pvp server.  We have a decent player base and it seems like there is almost always at least 1 person on the server.  Our numbers generally hang out between 4-20 just depending on the day and time.  I am starting this topic because I want to grow my server more, and make sure I am running it correctly so in short, I am looking for advice.

a little bit about our current strategy,

I have 1 other admin with me and we don't technically "play" the game on my server.  The majority of our time is spent setting up server events, giving out the starter packs at our welcome center for new players, servicing purchases etc at the admin shop or building raid bases for our players to break into.  We only ban people for repetitive overly toxic chat behavior (specifically racial language), try not to get annoyed with the players, and rarely give out free items since basically anything can be purchased from the shop if someone brings enough currency. 

Either way, if anyone is willing to share, I would like to know what players look for in an admin or even more generally, what they look for in a good server.

Thanks!

What I would really look for in a specific person or admin is having respect to anyone who plays on your server and if they can keep calm in any situation or person (even knowing it’s just a game). Being helpful to beach bobs and answering questions. Also no admin abusing, it’s obvious but people still do it. Keep the game fair. That’s what I would look for in admins

for servers I would want to see recent giveaways.. don’t have to be huge or anything just some incentive to play the server. I also see videos where server owners or admins create a huge almost impossible base to raid and put something really good inside so when raiders do get in. That also gives incentive to play the server as you would have to build up and you have a challenge ahead of you. Anything else is really up to you, the owner. Just keep things fair and help out people who are new and they may tell their friends to join and your server will grow!

What makes a good admin is one that works backend to ensure updates (mods) are up to date on the server, checking on tribes and players joining if its pvp.

In a lot of cases there is as I would say abusive admins out there that abuse their power and cheat throughout the server which makes everything go to poop in the end I have seen in first hand. 

I used to run my own Extinction Core servers a while back that was balls of fun. 

You also have to see actions from all angles and not just take blind action on a tribe or player you have to be fair to your players as well as maintaining a strict policy.

• 1 month later...

I would say an admin is kind of like the dungeon master in DnD…. Offer obstacles and rewards, make it challenging but fun at the same time. Equal treatment of players as well as spice it up a bit. Create your own "quests" so to speak and offer rewards to those who complete them. Don't show special treatment to individuals but if there are certain rules people are breaking give them fair warning before taking necessary action. Plus good conversation and a bit of humor always helps. Well, have a good one guys. -Charles

Archived