Should we expand?

thesourlime1

Hi all,

I am part of a small tribe (just 3 of us) and we're thinking of expanding. We are very experienced ark players, and although we're not on much during the week, we can get a lot done on the weekends. We currently have a 6x8x6 stone base with a indi forge, grinder, chem bench ect. (most of our tames are stored in this as well) and good level basic resource gathering dinos (apart from a beaver), plus 10x10 behemoth dino pen. We only have 4 turrets, but are hoping to make that 8 and upgrade our main base to metal by the end of the coming weekend. We were considering building a much larger metal base in the future (e.g. 11x11x20 or something in that range), but we're not sure if that's manageable for our size tribe, or if we were to do it how much should we work on our current base (in particular defences) before beginning build on the bigger one. Could anyone give us any advice? Thanks in advance :)

With only three members you are really pushing what is manageable given your tribe size and that you mainly play on the weekends especially if you are official PVP.  I would work on upping your defense of your current base and putting the expansion on hold until you have more turrets to defend the expanded base.  Just my 2 cents.  Good luck.

16 hours ago, BeauxAustin said:

With only three members you are really pushing what is manageable given your tribe size and that you mainly play on the weekends especially if you are official PVP.  I would work on upping your defense of your current base and putting the expansion on hold until you have more turrets to defend the expanded base.  Just my 2 cents.  Good luck.

That's what I'm thinking, I'm kinda on the fence with it. I would completely agree with you, we will upgrade to metal and get upwards of 30 turrets first before even considering starting work on it. Just suppose though we did manage to build the base in the future and its completed, do you think we'd be able to manage its upkeep etc. with the three of us?

13 hours ago, Woodsman said:

10 behemoth gate by 10 behemoth gate barn? so 80 by 80 wall barn? its almost bigger than my base. why would u need to expand?

Sorry no that's me not making it clear; we have a 10x10 foundation pen with a behemoth gate on each side (and like 1/2 columns of walls on each side to plug the gaps). What I was trying to get at is that we are able to store much bigger dinos, not just those that fit through the normal dino gate that we have on our main building. 

6 minutes ago, diggys said:

I think more turrets and plant turrets before expanding. i can't count how many time me and a small tribe have expanded before laying out defense, we got wiped a lot.  But I  would make sure you can cover everything corner of that 10x10 before building. 

Okay thanks, that's what I've been thinking of doing. Do you think in a scenario where we have managed to build this much larger base that we would be able to manage/maintain it with three of us? Or do you think we would have to find more tribe members?

On official pvp it doesn't matter, you're screwed. Even alphas are struggling because of the tryvern trolls that hop servers and just go around blowing off turrets and ceilings for easy loot. Most do it for the pleasure of trolling and won't take anything..just destroy and leave.

Outside defense is worthless because of flyers. Unless you have 100 turrets shooting it all at once, it'll get through them. My advice is to put turrets in all of your rooms, so that when they come in to destroy your stuff..the 5 turrets will instantly obliterate them. They won't take their tame in most of the time so it'll be just them. Bonus points if you kill the tame while it's without a rider ;)

..Unless they want to wipe you, which won't matter since they'll blow foundations. It's unlikely, but it happens. Some do it for security AKA turf, others do it for LOL I REKT IT HE GUNN BE SO MAD LULLZ. 

Go unofficial. Find a server with realistic rates and rules. Most let you PVP all day long, but griefing is usually an insta-delete. Try to find an admin without a God complex.

Archived