crash The Bad Stat of the game

FightzGamer

The Bad Stat of the game
Hello Everyone,

I wanted to address the bad state of the game and talk to you guys about my experiences running a server.

We started a Ragnarok server 3 month ago and we where hoping the game would be ready. Now that the game was finished, it should have been a lot of fun.

I do think the normal player had fun with the game and when it's running it seemed okay in the beginning. However as an admin there where a lot of painful setup problems with ASM and Ark it self. Most of the problems where related to bad or no descriptions of settings and having to find stuff on the forums all the time!

We also ran in to another problem after a while. We suddenly had big performance problems with the server i had used before, we did eventually solve this by changing settings and getting a monster server that was rented for 100 Eu a month. However even with that it still ran a little janky..

This brings me to the next point, this game is riddled with bugs and strange physics. There is to many to remember them all but one of the most strange things to me is the constant desync of player placement and character placement.
The issue also translate in to arrows not hitting where they should be hitting. There are tons of other bugs!

We have decided to shutdown our server. You can read more here:
http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FuryOfArk/discussions/0/1488866180615241737/

The biggest problem however, where the bad patches the broke the game almost every weekend. It also had a bad effect on some of the mods we where using and we where only running 10 basic mods.
Most notable was problems with updates to the game that effected structures plus and Offline Raid Protection 2(ORP2). It was not problems with the mods but changes to the game that then after a day would get fixed. This created a lot of fatal errors on the server and frustration as an admin!

In short, this game is a horrible experience as an admin, and people always blame us for all the patch problems. I also think that performance is to bad, the game is not in a playable state atm! The turret change is not enough to fix this issues.

In time hardware will become better and bugs might be fixed but for now this game is in a bad state and not worth wasting your time on!

My host is updated manually when I choose to do so via a control panel - so any minor server updates can be avoided unless the client forces a disconnect due to mismatched versions.  I don't run mods and only have a small player base < 10 concurrent players and have had little to no issues.  The occasional lag spike on a SaveWorld and bit of rubber banding but generally it works well.

Its the same with any mod-able game though, the mods get broken by core game changes and then the mod developers have to bring their mod up to date with the core changes by the game developers.  I have first hand experience of this myself as a software developer who writes plugins for Minecraft servers.

• 1 month later...

They need to fix the save lag again, they did fix it before but when they add new patches it get worse and worse. I do understand that the size of the save file matters, so that only stacks with the impacts of the patches :'(

Btw, i did decide to start a new season of my ark server and i have seen improvement to patching and the quality of the patches so that is some good stuff.

Archived