fanfiction PSA - Armored Green House

Brayn

Edit:  I cannot reproduce the below.  It worked for me when i posted this, but have tried it since and no dice.  I am ashamed for posting this and will be meditating on my lot in life so i can be better.

So I recently got into building those armored crop plots and it got me thinking... If the hatch on top of the ceiling with the pillar thing does not prevent rain from getting to the plot, would the same hold true if I put a metal ceiling on the top of a pillar and greenhouse ceiling on the lower snap point.  It works.  The greenhouse glass provides the greenhouse bonus to the plants below even though the greenhouse ceiling is covered by a metal ceiling.  Here's the setup:

F = Foundation

P = Pillar

C = Ceiling

First floor

FFFFFF

FFFFFF

FFFFFF

FFFFFF

Put your crop plots on every F except the F's on the corners.

First Floor = 1 high walls all around.

Second Floor = 1 high walls all around

Third Floor

P/C C C C P/C

C C C C C C

C C C C C C

P/C C C C P/C

In the Corners, you're going to want to pillar up, and place two ceilings, one at each of the two snap points.  Once all 4 pillars are placed, you can snap greenhouse glass throughout the whole thing onto the lower of the two ceiling tiles.  Once the glass is in, cover over it with metal ceilings on the higher snap point.  To hit 300%, you may need to throw in a double wall or two using greenhouse as you need 20 or 21 total pieces.  From the outside it just looks like a metal box, but on the inside it's a fully functional greenhouse!  Never get your glass shot out again!

On ‎10‎/‎15‎/‎2017 at 2:19 PM, isu said:

Tried it, doesnt work: https://imgur.com/a/VDOYN

Your pillar snap point is wrong.  The ceilings above the greenhouse glass are not on the pillar, they are on the walls.  You need to snap the pillar so there is a nubbin poking through the top of the greenhouse.  You then snap the ceiling to the top of the pillar, not the walls on the edge.  To do this, build a ceiling off of one of your walls, then put a pillar under it.  It should snap so a nubbin of the pillar pokes through above the ceiling.  The top of THAT pillar, which is above your walls, is your second snap point.  Here it looks like you built the roof, then built pillars in the corners and then placed the glass on top of the pillars.  Subtle difference, but it makes the difference.  Build just one corner ceiling attached to the walls.  Place pillar snapped to that ceiling, should poke through, place metal ceiling on new snap point above pillar and then use that snap point to finish your metal ceilings.  Use the original ceiling's snap point for your greenhouse.

We did something similar but without using any pillars. We had the typical "big box" building for our hatchery. We built the floor of the greenhouse attached to the walls 3 tiles from the top. built a greenhouse 2 tiles high on top of it and used metal hatch frames for the ceiling of the building above the greenhouse. got full greenhouse effect as long as the hatches were open.

20 hours ago, Brayn said:

Your pillar snap point is wrong.  The ceilings above the greenhouse glass are not on the pillar, they are on the walls.  You need to snap the pillar so there is a nubbin poking through the top of the greenhouse.  You then snap the ceiling to the top of the pillar, not the walls on the edge.  To do this, build a ceiling off of one of your walls, then put a pillar under it.  It should snap so a nubbin of the pillar pokes through above the ceiling.  The top of THAT pillar, which is above your walls, is your second snap point.  Here it looks like you built the roof, then built pillars in the corners and then placed the glass on top of the pillars.  Subtle difference, but it makes the difference.  Build just one corner ceiling attached to the walls.  Place pillar snapped to that ceiling, should poke through, place metal ceiling on new snap point above pillar and then use that snap point to finish your metal ceilings.  Use the original ceiling's snap point for your greenhouse.

Doesn't work: https://imgur.com/a/hI2PT

If its still wrong, please show me picture, where its working on SP or official. Because I doubt that it can work.

20 hours ago, OMCWILDCAT said:

We did something similar but without using any pillars. We had the typical "big box" building for our hatchery. We built the floor of the greenhouse attached to the walls 3 tiles from the top. built a greenhouse 2 tiles high on top of it and used metal hatch frames for the ceiling of the building above the greenhouse. got full greenhouse effect as long as the hatches were open.

Kk, will send a pic later.  In fairness, when I set it up to test I had pillars through every piece of GH glass.  The only assumption I had made in my OP was that the pillars may not be necessary.  Will fully test later tonight with pics and post later.

Archived