SOTF STRATEGIES

AresJakilla

I was hoping to start a discussion on what people have found to be the most successful strategies on different servers and with different tribe numbers. I play almost always on solo servers and most of the time on the official. I have tried many different strategies but there is certainly one that seems to be far more successful than the others:

VOLCANO- first off don't go to centre on with a large amount of people as the risk reward is too much. Go straight towards the volcano. Stay in the Forrest to make bows and arrows and spears and get at least full cloth armor- hide if u can get there quickly- then get to the volcano. The biggest danger once there is the cold. Get a base quickly and 3 campfires before worrying about anything else as a cold night on the hill will kill you in less than 2 minutes. Then tech to crossbows and make tranq arrows. The volcano has metal everywhere and you won't waste any time searching for them. Once you have full chitin armor and a crossbow, find an argentavis ON ITS OWN, and you'll have it down in no time. Basically this is the whole strategy. Get an argent and saddle and then search for an easy player kill. Pump health on the bird and after that no amount of OP monkeys can stop you. 

Im detailing the strategy I have found to be the most successful hoping that others will give theirs and I'll have new methods to try. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 3/15/2016 at 5:29 PM, SebastianB said:

Tell that to Ralph.

Lol, Ralph wrecked 3 times in a row 

But back on topic. With the new SOTF, bows are superior to crossbows in most cases. It's insane draw speed allows you to down Dinos very quickly with tranqs and the new winning strategy has been taming a horde and teching up to chitin. Also crate running isn't as good as it used to be anymore because drops don't give any guns anymore so you have to craft them on your own.

Agreed, although I used to think that argies were too op, with the new version they are almost useless if anyone has guns. I've tested that from the time a flown argie is in range of a longneck and an opponent shoots you, even if you flew directly towards him, he could get off enough shots to bring u down before u reached him. So even though the whole saddle thing and the bow speed makes taming easier, consistently I think your better off with teching to one longneck for initial range, and two shotguns for the final fight. And it's totally doable single handed to get that much metal if u don't get lost on the way to your tech up spot of choice! 

• 3 weeks later...

My group and I have been playing 4-man tribes, and we are still figuring things out. However, we have narrowed it down to a couple of strategies we like.

1. Build in an area very close to the metal rocks. Metal is like gold, you need it to get anywhere. The obvious weakness of this strategy is that players are likely to show up in the area.

2. Build in a secure place. There is a place on the map my group has built plenty of times, and have not been bothered by players once at this place. The only problem with it is that we have to go a decent distance to metal rocks, and this takes longer to retrieve, cook the metal, and make our weapons.

We have only managed to get the Longneck Rifles a few times, and we are still trying to figure out how to fire them effectively. It's just something that takes getting used to. For anyone that knows here, is there much of a travel time on the bullets? How about bullet drop, spread, or anything like that?

Shields are incredible, and multiple times we have withstood more than one T-Rex with a metal shield. There was one particularly funny match where one guy in Chitin Armor and a metal shield was left in our tribe, against two guys with bows and Chitin armor. They kept trying to kite him and shoot him and he kept blocking arrows. He kept them at it for 5 minutes, then he jumped off the cliff, there was a carnivore drop, and he let the Spino kill him.

We though recently we needed to not focus on taming dinos so much, but we have realized we just need to be more efficient and get good dinos, as well as weapons. It's tough to get the build orders and efficiency right, but we are getting closer.

In FFA there is clearly a meta of sorts forming

• Guns and Chitin - there are multiple locations for metal setting up shop grabbing what tames you can fit in getting a few sets of Chitin / guns and playing for the final 5-8 minutes Strength If you have reasonable aim gives you a good shot at winning weakness Metal spawns are always in the same location very week against 15-18 minute pushes with dinos, lots of harassment through the game will dramatically lower the guns you can produce.

• Spino - Spinos are abundant and in the rivers, they are quick can get across difficult terrain and do decent damage, can easily with a bit of levelling get the hp up to 3k Strength - if timed well can clear out the above "gun tactic" guys Weakness - you can never predict how a tame is going to go, you're out on the beach/shore and very vulnerable, generally you wont have high end armor either. also (imo) its fairly easy to shoot a rider out of a spinos saddle.

• Argentavis - Essentially you hit drops, try to pick people off and when it comes to the end times get picks and throw them out of the ring strength Mobile you can if played well keep yourself entirely out of dange. Weakness the Strength of the Arg tactic directly relates to the ease of the "other" meta tactics countering the gun strats, if someone turns up with guns you're SoL, its also pretty tough to get to an arg, get it down, get it tames and get it levelled to a decent level within the game time its the true all or nothing tactic

• General tames/mixture - lots of animals can be useful and are overlooked, sabertooths are very hard to kill and do decent damage, combined with really good movement allow you some flexibility however they will die to a spino or rex or a "big bunch of tames" in a heads up fight. Scorpians are incredible and highly under rated, tanky and a few of them ko even a large tame (rex/spino) in a short space of time, gigantopithicus are incredibly resilient to damage quick and do pooploads of damage, but will lose in a heads up fight vs a tame ball (stego/trikes) or a big carnivore. Carno's offer speed but terrible stam, however whistling one onto a player unless he has guns is pretty much good game. Trikes/stegos offer decent tanking and damage and only get better in big groups. If you want to fight in the mid game Dilo's are useful, very quick and the poison is a nightmare, yes they die in seconds but its ok throwing away 2-3 to get a kill on a player.Bronto's are obviously king of the big but also so slow I'm not sure there is much point in walking them up to the platform. Sarco's would be gret if they were 50% quicker, as it is they are fairly pointless and just something to add as a bulk to a larger foce on a carno drop. Raptors are great but fragile, whistling them onto players will net the best results.  Ptera's are kind of underwhelming now parasaur's are pointless

Archived