New Servers to be Repurposed?

DeningWei

I've been researching this a bit and can't seem to find definitive answers.

Are the servers on the new cluster going to be subject to the population test for wipe/repurpose reasons?

What is WC going to do if there are some servers on the new cluster that are long term low population?

What kind of guaranteed timeline is there for the life of a server on the new cluster before it is subjected to population tests?

How far does WC's commitment to spending 200k (more now because of new PVE cluster) per month on servers extend? What is their exit strategy on this spending?

1 hour ago, DeningWei said:

I've been researching this a bit and can't seem to find definitive answers.

Are the servers on the new cluster going to be subject to the population test for wipe/repurpose reasons?

What is WC going to do if there are some servers on the new cluster that are long term low population?

What kind of guaranteed timeline is there for the life of a server on the new cluster before it is subjected to population tests?

How far does WC's commitment to spending 200k (more now because of new PVE cluster) per month on servers extend? What is their exit strategy on this spending?

Even through the numbers seem big man it's easily offset by an expansion, or a huge player base and few vanity items via micro transaction. The price of a disengaged crowd not buying either of the above vs maintaining servers may surprise you. 20 bucks aint a lot until you multiply that by say 2 million or so

1 hour ago, Insomniak said:

Even through the numbers seem big man it's easily offset by an expansion, or a huge player base and few vanity items via micro transaction. The price of a disengaged crowd not buying either of the above vs maintaining servers may surprise you. 20 bucks aint a lot until you multiply that by say 2 million or so

So you are thinking 2 years + lifespan for new servers before they start re-purposing/wiping?  Would be great to know what they are planning.

2 hours ago, DeningWei said:

So you are thinking 2 years + lifespan for new servers before they start re-purposing/wiping?  Would be great to know what they are planning.

I'm sure they don't want to take any server offline just from low population but when/if the money stops coming in from the game it would be logical to predict lower pops would start disappearing and they would hand it over to the players to run dedicated or move. Right now, from a business standpoint it doesn't make sense to repurpose anything anyone plays on because of the bad pr.. doesn't matter if it's like 5 people just using it for dino storage.. the haters will jump on that like white on rice. But I'm not WC.. I'm  sure they know what's best for their company and losing players probably not in that category. I don't think anyone should lose sleep over it bud. It's impossible to predict how many people will play the new cluster vs old right now unless they have a time machine laying around but it's a pretty safe bet the new pvp cluster will do well and probably outlast the old

23 minutes ago, Insomniak said:

I'm sure they don't want to take any server offline just from low population but when/if the money stops coming in from the game it would be logical to predict lower pops would start disappearing and they would hand it over to the players to run dedicated or move. Right now, from a business standpoint it doesn't make sense to repurpose anything anyone plays on because of the bad pr.. doesn't matter if it's like 5 people just using it for dino storage.. the haters will jump on that like white on rice. But I'm not WC.. I'm  sure they know what's best for their company and losing players probably not in that category. I don't think anyone should lose sleep over it bud. It's impossible to predict how many people will play the new cluster vs old right now unless they have a time machine laying around but it's a pretty safe bet the new pvp cluster will do well and probably outlast the old

Daily ragnarok lags feels like timetraveling, I'm pretty sure they have one laying around!

Jeremy said that they would be evaluating servers every 6 months to decide what servers need to be "repurposed".  I am guessing that they expect the Legacy servers to be the main 'victim' of that, but I suppose it could apply to new servers if they needed to repurpose for a cluster/hardcore/different-map or whatever.

Looks like the link didn't go, so here is the article where it is mentioned.  Also a very good read for insight into the whole thing: http://www.pcgamer.com/ark-survival-evolveds-design-lead-on-huge-server-wipe-reversal-and-new-structure-post-pc-launch/

Just make the low.pop server a (example) 3x time server and it will fill quick. Give more options to choose from. Like the no tame server. Make a 5x time breed server our a 2x tame server our a 3x overal server. I bet they will be full of players then. 

Lot of player .lot of playing styles and not everyone want to be on a unofficial server where there is admin abuse.our suddenly the server is gone. 

unofficial servers are for mod players.

Archived