Fortitude

SmokeyB

On ‎3‎/‎21‎/‎2017 at 3:54 PM, Orion said:

No, high quality Flak does not stop you from being knocked out. Riot Gear, yes, but Flak offers no torpor reduction. Fortitude and Riot does, and that's it.

That being said, a Club is overpowered. Even at 50 fortitude, you can be one hit knocked out by someone with ~250% melee damage and a Master/Asc Club.

This is wrong.  Torpor inflicted is a percentage of damage inflicted.  Something like 250% damage.  If I'm resisting most of your damage, I am not taking as much torpor damage.  Riot, as you correctly noted, provides benefits above and beyond this damage to torpor ratio.  Therefore, all armor helps mitigate torpor.

3 minutes ago, Brayn said:

This is wrong.  Torpor inflicted is a percentage of damage inflicted.  Something like 250% damage.  If I'm resisting most of your damage, I am not taking as much torpor damage.  Riot, as you correctly noted, provides benefits above and beyond this damage to torpor ratio.  Therefore, all armor helps mitigate torpor.

Wrong, the club doesn't work that way. Look at the stats on it, its a pure knock out machine. Though I know for a fact Orion is incorrect as well. At 52 fortitude Asc club takes 3 solid back to back hits, already tested this several times messing around with my tribe. 2 less fortitude doesn't make that much difference so if not three 2. At 50 fortitude in full flak you aren't getting knocked out in one hit by anything really. Besides its a survival game, so base it a little off real life. If a guy who is 200% stronger than the average person (i.e. not body builder mr. Universe types) hits you in the head with for all intensive purposes a bat upside the head. Likely story is most people get knocked out quick from this. Lesson, don't let a fool hit you with a club. Bola his ass or shoot him dead before he gets that far.

You can kill people with a club.  It does damage.  It follows the same torpor rules as tranq arrows/darts except it does torpor up front and not over time.  Still based on how much base damage you actually do.  What you're probably seeing is armor's non-linear dropoff.  You really don't 100% more protection from having 1,000 armor in flak versus the 500 primitive flak.  If 500 armor prim flak provides 35% dmg redux, 1000 armor would only provide like 55% redux.  Try hitting someone with 100% melee damage and a prim club when they are naked.  Hit once, see what their torpor is.  Have them put on flak.  Hit, see torpor.  You will see a very noticeable difference.  Unfortunately, high end clubs are just WAY too effective, so dmg redux from flak is negligible.  I think you'd see it even more clearly if it took 200 torpor to knock out a human.  Since it's only 50 torpor until night night, you're just not getting enough torpor buffer for armor to be meaningful.

5 minutes ago, Velarius said:

Wrong, the club doesn't work that way. Look at the stats on it, its a pure knock out machine. Though I know for a fact Orion is incorrect as well. At 52 fortitude Asc club takes 3 solid back to back hits, already tested this several times messing around with my tribe. 2 less fortitude doesn't make that much difference so if not three 2. At 50 fortitude in full flak you aren't getting knocked out in one hit by anything really. Besides its a survival game, so base it a little off real life. If a guy who is 200% stronger than the average person (i.e. not body builder mr. Universe types) hits you in the head with for all intensive purposes a bat upside the head. Likely story is most people get knocked out quick from this. Lesson, don't let a fool hit you with a club. Bola his ass or shoot him dead before he gets that far.

7 minutes ago, Brayn said:

You can kill people with a club.  It does damage.  It follows the same torpor rules as tranq arrows/darts except it does torpor up front and not over time.  Still based on how much base damage you actually do.  What you're probably seeing is armor's non-linear dropoff.  You really don't 100% more protection from having 1,000 armor in flak versus the 500 primitive flak.  If 500 armor prim flak provides 35% dmg redux, 1000 armor would only provide like 55% redux.  Try hitting someone with 100% melee damage and a prim club when they are naked.  Hit once, see what their torpor is.  Have them put on flak.  Hit, see torpor.  You will see a very noticeable difference.  Unfortunately, high end clubs are just WAY too effective, so dmg redux from flak is negligible.  I think you'd see it even more clearly if it took 200 torpor to knock out a human.  Since it's only 50 torpor until night night, you're just not getting enough torpor buffer for armor to be meaningful.

Didn't say it didn't do dmg but unlike a tranq dart its torpor isn't based off of dmg the same way. You're right it does do torpor upfront but so does a tranq dart. Put on flak and see what will knock you out faster the dart or the club. Technically the dart does more dmg but the club ignores armor that doesn't provide precisely torpor protection all together. Thats the big difference and has been for a while now. I will add, if you are going to do the test. Make sure the person only has the flat 100 melee dmg, club will still put you out faster.

On Ragnarok SP, I love a high fortitude. Too many weather variations, and I don't feel like carrying around a ton of armor. Plus, even full fur and stew won't help you in Murder Snow (it helps by slowing your health decay, but not to get rid of the freezing icon). So high fortitude helps when hunting Ice Wyvern eggs :)  

but, it is not necessary. Just a nice to have. 

6 minutes ago, YJMark said:

On Ragnarok SP, I love a high fortitude. Too many weather variations, and I don't feel like carrying around a ton of armor. Plus, even full fur and stew won't help you in Murder Snow (it helps by slowing your health decay, but not to get rid of the freezing icon). So high fortitude helps when hunting Ice Wyvern eggs :)  

but, it is not necessary. Just a nice to have. 

Thats why I run about 52 fortitude myself on my chars. Feel tough as poop flyin through ice zones naked and bein fine longer than my buddy in flak, atop of the torpor resistance it gives.

• 9 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On ‎9‎/‎18‎/‎2017 at 2:01 PM, Brayn said:

At the time of writing this you were wrong. Torpor used to go through armor. However it now doesn't.

Archived