Imprinting Is Unhealthy.

Crows

Yeah I think this needs a rework. It's not really optional if you have any urge to be competitive. Yeah being competitive should involve a certain amount of grinding, along with a certain amount of luck; but I'd like to see it involve some sort of skill! Atm someone just as skilled as someone else, who potentially puts the same amount of time in, but in bigger chunks because they're not willing to sacrifice there sleep hygiene/health, will wind up with a dino MUCH MUCH stronger.

So atm Person A and Person B both spend 3 hours a day on ark. They're both as skilled as each other, both as lucky as each other.

Person A Plays a three hour chunk, or even two 1 1/2 hour chunks of game. 

Person B Plays three hours, but splits it up every hour so he never misses an imprint but his sleep hygiene and health suffer as a result.

BLAM! Person B is less healthy irl, but will basically always win in a fight on ARK against person A.

What part of that is good design or fun or skilled?

I read somewhere that imprinting a dino, by the time it's maxed out makes your dino 2.65X stronger (with the way the bonuses stack and work with each other, coupled with the extra stats per level) - that's a pretty big incentive to get your player base to start sacrificing it's health because of the way you designed your game....

• Replies 704
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest BubbaCrawfish

Who said anything about hygiene though?

And what about those pilots that fly across the world, and truck drivers that drive the maximum amount of hours they can to run long haul? Are they unhealthy and unhygienic? No, they run to a schedule and they deal with it...

With a little planning and preparation, you can do what needs to be done. No health/hygiene sacrifice necessary.

Guest BubbaCrawfish
1 minute ago, Kallor said:

If you don't interrupt your sleep for the entire length of the raising process your dinos damage is nerfed by ~36% and toughess by ~23%  See, it's just a matter of perspective.

If you're counting the imprint bonus into that stat, then it's not a nerf... As the imprint is a bonus.

4 hours ago, Jostabeere said:

@Kallor I do not disagree on the fact that heavily broken sleeping rhythms can cause fatigue and health damage if they happen over a long period of time. What I disagree on, and what I already said here for like, 3 times, that the "sleeping rhythm" you will have when you imprint for a week will not cause any damage to you or cause fatigue because you can still sleep for multiple hours with only 1 or maximal 2 alarms during the night if you want to imprint as fast as possible. But if you do not hurry and imprint every 3 hours, you can still get a 100% imprint if you skip them and sleep for 8 hours a night. People here are exaggregating it to insane levels without having an idea.

Nothing will happen to you if you wake up twice every night for a week unless you have actual health issues. But in that case you know that you shouldn't do that anyway. Every parent ever who had a child, had to wake up every 3 or 4 hours at night to feed their kid or calm it down when it starts to cry. And babies aren't grown-up in a week. Almost every couple had to take care of a baby for months. Not a week.

This assumes every time you; get up, turn on pc, log in, imprint, log out, turn off pc, then go back to bed; you actually get back to sleep straight away, and the quality of your sleep is the same as it usually would be. Which I think is not how it works, doesn't it take most people a certain amount of time to get back to the actually restful part of sleep. Whats probably more likely is your losing around an hour of sleep each time, then losing an unknown amount of actual restful sleeping time. (I'm playing devil's advocate here, I, personally, do fine with a few hours sleep a night)

Can I also just say, I find it bizarre that we're even giving this topic so much credence; if people are talking about whether an aspect of your game is unhealthy and the people defending it are suggesting different sleep cycles, or saying "don't worry it's not that unhealthy guys".... SURELY it's best to err on the side of caution and improve it!

Guest BubbaCrawfish

Talk for yourselves, I plan my breeding for times that suit me, except for currently as I just had my allos hatch just past midnight...

9 minutes ago, BubbaCrawfish said:

And what about those pilots that fly across the world, and truck drivers that drive the maximum amount of hours they can to run long haul? Are they unhealthy and unhygienic? No, they run to a schedule and they deal with it...

With a little planning and preparation, you can do what needs to be done. No health/hygiene sacrifice necessary.

Sleep hygiene is what doctors call your sleep cycle/health, not body hygiene, woaaah! Also you're comparing a computer game to being an IRL Pilot or Truck Driver. It's a game it shouldn't have to be a job to stay competitive, surely!

Way to take everything I wrote, completely disregard it, and make it seem like a personal insult. I said the use of the excuse "it's optional," "no one is forcing you" so on and so forth is a pathetic excuse. Please don't dissect my sentences to pick out something to make me sound like a child whining. I am in no way saying everything that contradicts me is pathetic. Truly...you haven't even given me a real reason yet. This fall back on 'no one is forcing you' as your go to response for every response to anyone's complaint that isn't in line with your view is not a valid excuse. That's my point. I don't mind debates, I don't mind being corrected. However before you try to do so, make sure you actually have a valid argument, facts, and above all, something more that 'no one is forcing you' as your answer.

It's part of the game, so of course people are wanting to do it. The whole POINT in case you missed it, is that the current system is flawed and needs to be fixed so that players are not made to compromise their health just to get the percentage. As I have said, I'd love to get the imprint percentage...doubtful I'd get the 100, but I'd at least like to try to get something. However with the current method, I can't; I have a life, and my sleep is scattered enough. I probably have more free time than most people, so my focus is trying to help those people that want the percentage but find it difficult to go with the 2-3 hour time constraints for however long. Heaven forbid you have a kid that needs to go to the emergency room just as you're at 2 minutes until care. Say what you will, you'll find something to nit-pick and try to make me out to be a whiner or whatever, but my facts and my opinion, are still valid.

The current imprinting system is flawed and needs to be fixed.

Guest BubbaCrawfish
1 minute ago, thedogowl said:

Sleep hygiene is what doctors call your sleep cycle/health, not body hygiene, woaaah!

Alright, so we're pulling out all the medical terms here are we... My bad... Still, it's optional, and completely able to be done with some planning... You don't HAVE to imprint all your breeding dinos.

@Leania Every reply that you've made where I've made a statement you don't agree with, has pathetic in it... That word in itself is a dismissive and completely condescending tone to it... It makes people turn off because of it's repugnance.

Just now, BubbaCrawfish said:

Alright, so we're pulling out all the medical terms here are we... My bad... Still, it's optional, and completely able to be done with some planning... You don't HAVE to imprint all your breeding dinos.

I think people's point is it's not optional if you want to be competitive and maybe it's not great game design if you have to build your sleep cycle around the game in order to compete well...

Guest BubbaCrawfish

I think people's point is it's not optional if you want to be competitive and maybe it's not great game design if you have to build your sleep cycle around the game in order to compete well...

Just because you think everyone is running around with imprinted dinos, doesn't mean they actually are... Sure, there's some being traded and people say they're getting them, but remember, poker face... poker face...

Guest BubbaCrawfish
Just now, Kallor said:

As I posted back on page 2, " Why is it acceptable behaviour for a company to encourage people to engage in activities that are bad for them? "

Gaming for multiple hours sitting in chairs probably isn't good for you, but you still do it... Same as looking at screens for hours on end...

It's not as if they are encouraging it, but you still do it.

11 minutes ago, BubbaCrawfish said:

Alright stop your rolling right here! My parents, both, were over the road truckers. Let me give you a huge wake up call because now you've crossed a line with me.

THEY. DON'T. JUST. DEAL. WITH. IT! Are they unhealthy and unhygienic? Well let's see, smart-man. Can you drive from west coast to east coast, taking detours because certain roads won't let semis travel down them, there are mountains that are hellish to go up or down (one lane traffic practically), you have dispatchers that give you piss-poor information, and insane deadlines that make you have to pull all nighters. Oh, and to top it off, DOT random stops to ensure your log books show you are getting the proper 8 HOURS of sleep, otherwise you are fined (which the company will not pay for but they are responsible for you getting), you loose pay, and on top of that, are forced to sit for 8 hours. The only time you can stop is when you are unloaded, between deliveries, to get a hot meal, a shower, and to use the bathroom that is not a bucket or a bottle. Oh and by the way, my dad suffered a heart attack, because of his 30+ years of driving, and the stresses that go with it. What happened to him...THE COMPANY FIRED HIM! Really, you are tossing things out to which you have no real information on, and you need to stop. Just because you don't mind missing out on proper sleep, taking care of yourself, missing work/classes/family events, whatever, doesn't mean everyone else does. No amount of planning can handle imprinting during life when things crop up unexpectedly.

6 minutes ago, BubbaCrawfish said:

Gaming for multiple hours sitting in chairs probably isn't good for you, but you still do it... Same as looking at screens for hours on end...

It's not as if they are encouraging it, but you still do it.

They ARE encouraging and rewarding you.  "If you do X action we will reward you with Y".  Kind of amusing you can't see it.

Guest BubbaCrawfish

I've already said it takes planning... If you can't plan, then prepare to fail... Simple.

No line crossed at all... If you have that many issues that you've gone ballistic over a simple comparison of careers that require you to be in different time-zones, and available all times, then that's not my problem. I know people who are truckers, and my dad was a trucker 40 years back, but, he was also a firefighter, and those guys, don't get days off, and the privilege of working a 9-5 job...

The planning of your time, is vital, and if you can't do it effectively then this imprinting is not for you.

People say they are fine when they don't sleep enough but if you don't regularly sleep 7-8 hrs per night, it slows down your metabolism, can lead to obesity and typically, you'll end up having a brain fog throughout the next day. That tired feeling that makes you want to drink caffeine and eat sugar. Then you screw up your insulin sensitivity and your organs.  Sure, maybe you can wake for 10 minutes but if you're like me, once I wake up, I'm up. It's hard to get back to sleep. I don't really believe people can function highly on sleep deprivation. It's not normal if you can. You say you're "fine" and I think.. yeah, what's "fine" mean?

Guest BubbaCrawfish

They ARE encouraging and rewarding you.  "If you do X action we will reward you with Y".  Kind of amusing you can't see it.

Not really, as it's work that you are doing on your own accord... It's not like they're telling you "Hey, do this, and you'll get this"... This is a feature that you know about, and are able to do, to give you an advantage...

It's not like they're plying you with gold, credits or premium to do something like "spend 30 hours in game to get XXX"....

Just now, BubbaCrawfish said:

Not really, as it's work that you are doing on your own accord... It's not like they're telling you "Hey, do this, and you'll get this"... This is a feature that you know about, and are able to do, to give you an advantage...

It's not like they're plying you with gold, credits or premium to do something like "spend 30 hours in game to get XXX"....

"It's not like they're telling you "Hey, do this, and you'll get this""  did you read what you just wrote?  That is precisely what they are saying.

Hey do this (imprinting every 3-4 hours for DAYS), and you'll get this (massive unique bonus to dinosaur power).  You've gone past the point of logical discussion and appear to be just disagreeing with anything and everything for whoever knows what reason.

Guest BubbaCrawfish

"It's not like they're telling you "Hey, do this, and you'll get this""  did you read what you just wrote?  That is precisely what they are saying.

Hey do this (imprinting every 3-4 hours for DAYS), and you'll get this (massive unique bonus to dinosaur power).  You've gone past the point of logical discussion and appear to be just disagreeing with anything and everything for whoever knows what reason.

No, as I said, it's an option that you can do to make your dinos stronger... They aren't PLYING you with mentionings or credits to encourage you to do so...

What you're saying is if an ISP was to offer you 24/7 connection, that because it's a constant connection they are encouraging you to be online 24/7...

BIG difference.

Guest BubbaCrawfish

Nah that's not even the same comparison mate. Flawed. If anything you'd have to reeaally stretch that and say it's like if your ISP offered you double internet speeds but only if you are on the internet 12 hours a day.

That's even dragging further off the point than ever...

It's about the way that it's handed out to you... You don't NEED to imprint your dinos, and you aren't "given" anything by doing so... Your dino is just better if you put the time and planning into it...

It's like a car in this sense.. You can put the time and effort into upgrading it, you don't need to, but that's your choice, if you have the time and money to do so...

7 minutes ago, BubbaCrawfish said:

No, as I said, it's an option that you can do to make your dinos stronger... They aren't PLYING you with mentionings or credits to encourage you to do so...

What you're saying is if an ISP was to offer you 24/7 connection, that because it's a constant connection they are encouraging you to be online 24/7...

BIG difference.

I might just quote it here in case you realise what you posted and how it makes you look and decide to delete it. 

Keep digging Bubba.

Guest BubbaCrawfish
40 minutes ago, Kallor said:

If you don't interrupt your sleep for the entire length of the raising process your dinos damage is nerfed by ~36% and toughess by ~23%  See, it's just a matter of perspective.

I'm still waiting for how you make out that your dino is nerfed by "~36%" and "~26%"... I'm intrigued as to how you think that a bonus, not being achieved is a nerf...

Archived