• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just want to let you guys know that in my fanfic, I won't be using the complete default island. My custom island will be a mix of different map mods, the default map AND some of my own touches. Just letting you guys know that so someone doesn't come over and say 'that's not where that such and such location is' and stuff like that. Chapter 5 getting a bit of an overhaul. But it's almost done!

NOTE: ITS IN THE EDITING STAGE!

Chapter 5: Capture the flag

The screams and yells broke the sound of silence. Many of our team members charged into battle, completely oblivious as to where they're going.

"WAIT!" I yelled. Sure enough, they stopped. Only two or three continued to run and scream. I doubt we'll be seeing them until the end of the battle.

"We can't just run off into the blue! We need a strategy." I ordered

"Since when did we take orders from you?" One of my team members yelled. He was smaller than me, but I doubt he was weaker. He was bald and only had one eye.

"You started listening to him ever since you went into this battlefield," Marcus stepped forth. "You have no idea what he's done to keep me and my colleagues alive." The group began to stop yelling and started listening. Even the runners before had stopped and turned back to listen.

"This man ALONE survived Troodons, Carnotaurs, a herbivore stampede, velociraptors, Argentavis, a Megalosaurus, Dilophosaurs and he saved not only me but our whole group from black raptors.....TWICE!" Ajay explained.

"If it's anyone that should lead us, it's him," Rose said. I felt a whole heap of weight fall onto my shoulders. These people are relying on me to take them to victory.....but it's just a game. It's just one big entire game; but I know that they need a leader. I guess I am that leader.

"There's twelve of us right?" I asked. "I want teams of 3. One team will stay behind and guard our flag. The others will run and take two flags. Two flags for each team. I'll give the rest of the directions after you assort yourself into your teams." From what I gathered, the people liked the idea and they started sorting themselves into teams. Rose and Alice agreed to stay behind and guard the flag with a small scrawny looking man. I decided to of course join up with Ajay and Marcus in the attack.

"What do we do now sir?" The one eyed man asked.

"Now.....we wait."

"What?"

"Right now, people will be charging into battle, fighting each other until they can't get up. If we wait, most of the soldiers will be incapacitated. Then we can run in and clean it all up."

We waited for the screams around the Battlefield to die down, and then we began our attack.

"Since there's few of you, you must be silent. Try and avoid most fights. If you do come across a few people... Do not hesitate. Now let's move." I signalled to Rose and Alice, telling them that we're leaving. We quietly snuck through the undergrowth. The roars and yelling from the audience made us silent while we were sneaking. We guessed that every time it got louder, someone was incapacitated. The remaining runner groups disbanded into their groups of 3 and we moved on. Ajay, Marcus and I had our weapons drawn at all times, ready for anyone that comes our way. The battlefield was a walled off, containing a forest and a swamp. There were a few small open areas but nothing more. The walls had large benches so the audience could see all of the action. Luckily for us, the majority sat where the flag locations are so they can see more action...even our own hut. There was a tower just above the gate entrance, holding the bell that started this battle and another podium that held the tribe leaders and other executives such as the chief commanders. Alastair boomed on a mic and told us who was incapacitated and which team was eliminated. Already, team pink, orange and grey were eliminated. Good thing we stuck to a strategy.

"Halt," Ajay whispered "I can see a flag. There's 2 people there guarding though." Sure enough he was right. It was the green team. There were 2 small, skinny men holding their wooden swords, circling the only flag they have.

"Pfft, I can take them. They're tiny!" Marcus stepped up and simply marched over to them. The two of them jumped in shock and pointed their swords at him. Ajay and I hung back just in case it was a trap.

"Stay back!" The guards said. Their swords were shaking. Obviously they were terrified of a muscular dude like Marcus marching over to them, swinging his cleaver. He stood in front of them and looked at their sweating faces.

"Gentlemen." He said as he dropped his cleaver and smacked their heads together with his bare hands. They instantly fell to the floor unconscious.

"Green team eliminated!" Alastair boomed on his microphone. It really made me question how they got one. After all, nothing else is run by electricity. After Marcus sheathed his cleaver and had a look around, he glanced back and gave us the thumbs up. We emerged from the forest with big smiles and a few chuckles and laughs here and there.

"That was hilarious," Ajay exclaimed. "They were all like 'no stay back!' And you were like 'no! f*ck you I ain't dealing with your sh*t! And you completely smashed them!" He couldn't keep a straight face while talking. Neither could we.

"So what do we do know oh magnificent Chris Shaw?" Marcus asked and he did a little bow in the process.

"We take the flag and get back to our hut. We don't want to get to the next hut, get beaten and have them keep their flag and take this flag." I explained

"Agreed; Tread lightly, I know we're protected from these large walls, but looking at your armour Chris, something bad is gonna happen." Ajay said.

"Aye; this armour is sixteen years old. The issue has been fixed. Don't worry, we'll be fine. Now let's go," I ordered. Even though I reassured Ajay, he did have a point. When the bell rang to start the fight, I knew something was gonna happen. With the whole 'destined five' and '10 new species entering the Ark' being mentioned a lot, it puts me on edge. I decided to shake it off and head back to our hut with the others. We arrived to our hut to see our red flag, as well as the pink, orange and grey flag. Our team eliminated those teams! I kept my excitement to myself, as I soon realised that no one was here. Where were Alice and Rose? Did they get taken to the sideline? We continued moving forward to put the green flag on the hooked, wooden pole until a blunt arrow hit Ajay's foot.

"Ow son of a b*tch!" He yelled.

"Is that you Ajay?" A woman asked.

"Damn right it is Alice. Now get down here!" Both Alice and Rose climbed down the tree they were hiding in. Their faces lit up when they saw us holding a green flag. Both of them each hugged the 3 of us.

"Thank god you guys didn't get beaten to the ground!" Rose said, holding me tight. It was a long time since a girl ever hugged me. It was soft, warm and comfortable. I didn't want to let go of her, but it would be awkward if I didn't.

"Where's your other buddy?" Ajay said as he brushed his dusty dreads back."

"He was beaten to the ground." Alice said. "Luckily for us, we got revenge. Any news from the ot-"

3 members from our team emerge from the forest, 2 of them holding one flag each. The flags were blue and brown. One of the team members was the man with one eye. He seemed to be sweating and had some news to tell.

"We're the only teams left," he explained. The black team tracked the others and took them out." He said as he placed the two new flags on our pole.

"How many are left from black team?" I asked

"Five or six?"

"Ok, we have lost four of us. That's ok, we still have eight. I want the five of you to stay guard. Ajay, Marcus and I will continue to retrieve the remaining flags.

"Team blue and brown are eliminated!" Alastair boomed on the mic.

"Alright let's head to the yellow team" I said. We snuck back into the undergrowth. I looked back up to see where the crowds shifted to. One team was to our left while the other two were on our far right. We decided to not cause any trouble, so we snuck into the undergrowth, slowly moving to the lonely hut. The area was swampy and hot. We continued moving through a metre deep swamp. We kept our hands and weapons up above the water, wading ourselves through the swamp. There may have been no dinosaurs, but there sure we're bugs. Flying around, coming close to our faces and having a few nips. We did the best we could by smacking them out of the sky until we heard something dive into the water. We turned around to feel the ripples smash against our skin. Something dived into the water, but we can't see it.

"Get out of the water," I yelled "Now!"

We rushed to land; constantly looking back to see if anything was following us, but so far, the only thing that was following us were the damn bugs. We reached the shore, only to realise that we bombarded the hut. Luckily for us, no one was there...neither was the flag.

"Dammit, team purple or black must've taken it already," Marcus complained. I walked over to their pole and examined it. Like I said before, the flag was gone; instead, there was another issue on our hands. There was a little bit of blood on the pole. Anyone would just say they had a blood nose from the fight so I moved on.

"Let's go." I said "Nothing here."

"Chris watch out!" Ajay said as I tripped on a stick that Marcus planted on the ground to prank me. I crumbled to the floor like a noodle shaped anchor. Great, now I was covered in mud. The other two laughed and high fives each other, but I was freaking out, breathing heavily.

"Woah calm down, it's just a joke." Marcus began to look worried as if he took the prank too far. Ajay had decided to scout the area. I jumped to my feet and looked at the muddy floor. That was when I realised that it wasn't just a bloody nose. It was a 5 digit, clawed footprint imprinted in the mud. In fact, there was an entire trail of the footprints, leading back to the swamp. Drops of blood followed the footprint trail.

"There's a flaw," I said

"A flaw?" Marcus repeated.

"A predator has broken into the battlefield, we must warn the others."

"Hey guys!" Ajay yelled. "You need to take a look at this!" We jogged over to see what he was staring at. From afar, you would've mistaken it as a mouldy rock; although it wasn't a rock. We stood in horror as we stared in the decomposed eyes of the last yellow team member. His stomach was gone, leaving his intestines sliding down between his legs....well...they were legs; now they're just stumps. The legs were torn up from foot to knee. All that was left were the thighs. Blood from his shredded neck trickled down and drenched his armour and bib. The bib looks like he spilt spaghetti all over his clothes like a toddler. Ants, cockroaches and flies had covered his body and were crawling around inside his mouth and opened stomach.

"Ok its official," I panicked. "We gotta go...now! We ran back to our hut. This time, only the one eyed man was there. He limped over to us, sweat slowly dripping off his face.

"The others are all down. I only just managed to take the enemy down. It was the black team, but there's still more of them." He panted. "I'm coming with you now. There's no point in me guarding the flags by my own."

"He's right. We'll be all guarding the flags." I said

"What?"

"A creature is on the loose in the battlefield."

"Kaprosuchus?"

"Let's hope it isn't." I literally stood there with my fingers crossed, hoping that it isn't a Kaprosuchus. I placed my hand on my armour and dragged my fingers along the claw marks. If this was to happen again, I don't want to make the same mistake Mikey did. We hold our ground until the other teams eliminated each other.

"Black team eliminated!" Alastair boomed. He doesn't know about the creature attack. Let's hope to god that when this is over, the beast will be captured and taken out. But the black team...how were they eliminated? They had 'the giant' on their team! He must've been overwhelmed or fell to the floor. I guess we have to watch out for -

"It's the black flag!" The one eyed man yelled. We looked up to see the black flag floating above in the air. Someone must've slipped and dropped it. The one eyed man ran for it and before you knew it, he disappeared into the jungle. This is bad, team purple is still out there, and he could've just gotten himself caught. We waited for quite some time, weapons drawn, waiting for our enemy to attack. I used this time to take this all in, thinking where I could've improved in this trial.

I failed to make sure that no one will be eliminated, but there's still hope. My main strategy of waiting and moving quietly worked. We have the most flags. Now we're in the top two. Just us and team purp-

"I got it! Now help me!" The man ran back out of the jungle, the black flag was wrapped around his hand. I smiled, until I saw his face. His impact was yellow and almost purple. He was terrified. He bared scratches and cuts all on his face and arms. His armour was dented and now has claw marks. He was being followed. His screams for help were interrupted by the fearless growls of a male Kaprosuchus. It must've broken the sewerage entrance and snuck in like before. It outran him and the croc had lunged itself on his back and tore his armour off, eating his back while he was still alive.

"Hey!" I yelled. "Over here you overgrown lizard!" The beast snarled and jumped off his victim. The Kaprosuchus was fully grown, and had an irregular pattern of brown, yellow and green, mostly green. It had a hard skull, covered in small spiked studs and extra horns. It prowled on the ground with its long muscular legs and bared its huge, canine fangs. Hang on a second...the yellow flag is in its mouth! The yellow flag had been pierced by one of the large canines and it was hanging on the side of its mouth. I glanced over to Marcus, he was doing a little hand motion, telling me to let it chase me for a bit and then run back. I nodded. Slowly, I bent down to grab a rock. The creature still stood there, hissing like an overgrown snake. It wasn't really happy when I decided to throw the rock at its nose. It leapt back and roared, and I ran while it chased me into the jungle. I wasn't heading in the right direction, instead of doing a big loop like we planned; the Kaprosuchus had driven me into the swampy marsh; where it killed the yellow team member. The path up ahead was covered in tangled mangroves and other types of trees and vines. I could use this to my advantage. The croc was gaining speed, it too must see the road block up ahead. It jumped and snapped at my head, but I was quicker, I slid under the first few trees and quickly got to my feet to continue running. The croc was stuck in a few trees and had to claw and bite its way out. The next obstacle was up ahead; I jumped over while he tried to come get me from underneath. Once again, it failed and smashed through another tree. Finally! I got to turn left so we can loop around back to the hut.

"Oh sh*t," I stared gobsmacked at the river that was between me and my destination.

'If I try and swim, it will catch me!' I had to think of another path. There was a pathway of branches up at the tree tops I can use; but how am I supposed to get up there without it bounding right after me? I glanced back. It was a few metres away, enough time for me to climb up and safely cross. I crawled my way up the tree as fast as I can, with the Kaprosuchus not far behind me. It also took a risk to try and jump up and grab my foot. Luckily I reached the top, no way could it get me now...wait...it's climbing up! Sure enough, the crocodile was using its hooked claws to scale up the tree very slowly. I needed to cross over to the other tree across the lake now! The croc made a victory roar as it reached to my level in the tree tops. It bounded over to me, making the branch creak and crack. Wait, there's too much weight. I need it to stay on that branch for a while. It could be time wasting but if it works, the croc will fall into the water and give me time to give us some distance between us so it can't catch me. I turned around with my glaive pointing right at it. It stopped in its tracks, making the tree bend and crack even more. We both rearranged our footing, getting ready for the fight. It lowered down and snarled at me and I started to cut at the vines supporting the branch it was on. Whenever it would try to swipe me, I would point my glaive at it, and then continued what I was doing. I was close...so close to cutting the last vine...until it lunged at me. Its landing caused both of our branches to snap and fall into the river. We hit the water with a big splash, sinking deeper and deeper to the bottom. We tried our best to submerge but the branches got on top of us, pulling us to the bottom. At the river bed, I realised that my left ankle was trapped under bloody log! I could use my strength to lift it up...but that's when I saw the Kaprosuchus. It was unconscious, with its neck caught under the branches as well. If I free my ankle, I would also be saving the beast next to me. A minute or so had passed, and I was in need of air. I had to get out. I took the risk and slowly lifted the log, pulling my foot out. Yes, I was free! The log slumped down, awakening the croc. Since my foot was free, the log angled to one side, giving it leeway for the kapro. It was tossing and turning until it finally broke free. I was struggling to reach the top since I kept getting caught in the twigs and seaweed. The beast continued to pursue me and it could've killed me with one last snap. It missed, surprisingly. I looked over to see that its tail was caught under the other branch. I smiled. The croc will have to turn around, claw the branch and snap it before it can rise again. I reached the surface, gasping for breath. I gained my strength once I got to land. I wanted to run back but what would be the point. The plan is to bring it back, not let it go. If we let it go, it could kill someone else. I waited, hoping that it's not sneaking up to me from behind or my sides. 30 minutes have past, and the beast still hasn't risen to the surface. Was it dead? No, it can't be dead. It's a prehistoric crocodile; of course it wouldn't drown just yet! I waited a bit more, until I decided to give up and leave. I guess I was wrong. I strolled back to our camp, despite us waiting for a full on attack from purple team. I wonder what they're planning. Are they planning on a full on assault or they gonna take it strategically. The pathway was pretty clear, it was like I was wondering on one large dried up river. It was quiet was warm. The leaves on the trees slowly glided to the floor, however it didn't drop everywhere, the trail of leaves were only behind me, not once did one leaf fall in front of me. It kinda felt a little funny, but it did feel as if I was like a holy god. It felt nice. The trees covered the sky, so I was unable see how the audience was behaving. So far it was quiet, too quiet. I couldn't hear the audience at all; only the creaking and churning of the trees behind me. The feeling began to make me paranoid. It was a while until I finally left the Swamp and was close to our hut, yet the feeling never left. I knew that I was being followed

"Ok that does it, time to see my follower." I turned around to see that nothing was there, only a path of leaves that fell to the ground...the leaves.

"Oh sh*t," I said looking up to the trees, staring at my follower. "Hello motherf*cker." He stared right back at me, giving me an evil, toothy grin. He snarled and dropped to the ground on all fours and looked up at me. Outsmarted once again by a bloody Kaprosuchus.

"You were good. Time to go now." I smiled and ran for my life. It stared at me for a while until it chased after me, like this was one big game. I could see our hut and so I screamed for help.

"Help! It's coming!" I yelled. My two comrades were nowhere to be seen, but I knew that they wouldn't leave me for dead. The monster behind me still hasn't caught me; seriously? We were running in a straight line and it still hasn't caught me. It was toying with me. Little son of a b*tch is smart. It finally decided to jump at me as soon as I reached my hut. I turned around to put the finger up at it while Ajay and Marcus came out on both sides, Marcus smacking it in the face with his cleaver and Ajay came up from its behind and lifted it up a bit, making the kapro do a from flip to the face. If it was done correctly, it could have fallen and snapped its neck, although Ajay wasn't big enough to make such a force. Instead it kinda landed on its face and skidded on the rocky dirt.

"Thanks," I said

"Thanks? Ajay questioned. "Hell, we should be thanking you for not dying and leaving us to be eliminated!" He laughed

"Yeah man we thought you were dead. You took a while." Marcus added

"It's a long story, I'll tell you after." It was nice to be with them. But we needed the focus, the Kaprosuchus was rising. It rose up quickly and whipped the other two in the face with its sharp tipped tail. They fell the floor and crawled away. The croc stood between me and the other two, challenging me to the death. I held my ground, and so did he. After what we did to it, he was pissed, breathing heavily with evil eyes staring right at me. I signalled the other two to get to our wounded man and retrieve the black flag; he was still where I last saw him, breathing heavily. The large lizard began to move closer, so I introduced it to my wooden glaive. I whacked it on the nose and between the eyes a few times. If definitely did not like it. Screams and calls for help were coming from the audience. On the corner of my eye, guards were about to march down before they were dismissed by the tribe leaders. I had their attention; they were interested in what would happen if I would succeed and if I would fail. The croc lunged at me; I ducked and rolled to my right, covering myself in mud and dirt. The creature literally flew right over me when I dodged. It turned around, ready to try again. This time, I smacked it really hard on the side of the face, making the creature crumble to the floor. In irritation, it roared as loud as it could as it tried to get up. Funny as it is, I did the same. I swung my glaive around and 'roared' at it. I had no control over my body anymore. The only real thing that I could do was watch and think, while the muscles in my body took over. I still continued to swing the glaive around fluently, as if it was an everyday thing. The prehistoric crocodile stepped back a few steps; it was surely thinking twice about attacking me. I was wrong; the beast ran at me and hit the side of my ribs with its hard, spiked skull. I collapsed. The other two ran to me but the Kaprosuchus growled at them, telling them to back off. It pounced me; I had my glaive held in its mouth horizontally as it chewed on it, trying to get to my face. When it figured out that it couldn't bite me, he began to claw me. Small slashes and cuts were forming on my stomach because of its sharp, hooked claws. I kicked it in the stomach and it yelped, jumping back.

Ok stabbing it will be a bad idea, as it will continue to run at me and kill me despite it having a spear through it. I need to be on my defensive side and show my dominance like before. I changed my grip on my weapon and was waiting for it to attack. It ran at me, so I ran at it too, roaring and yelling as I got closer to. It lunged at me, claws and teeth ready to finish the job. I however, had different plans. The creature was smashed into a tree after I ended the charge by smacking it really hard on its head once more.

"Chris you better hurry up, I hear the purple tribe advancing on us," Marcus yelled over the fight.

"Don't worry," I said smiling "I got this." I approached the Kaprosuchus. It was tangled in vines and tree roots. It didn't seem like it wanted to get up anymore. It looked at me with its Amber coloured eyes. Those eyes no longer seemed aggressive and blood thirsty, but they were calmer and more in control. I reached my hand out, slowly moving closer it its face.

"What are you doing?" Ajay complained. "You'll get yourself killed!"

"I know what I'm doing Ajay!" The croc began to growl and tried to break free from its entwined prison, but I had finally placed my hand above its nose and quietly shushed it.

"Shhhh, its ok boy. It's ok." I said calmly as I gently rubbed my hand on its head and nose. It calmed down and began to breathe slowly. It laid there for a while, giving me time to slowly reach for the yellow flag in its mouth. It growled a bit, and I hesitantly moved my hand away slowly. After it calmed down, I slowly moved to its mouth again, successfully pulling out the flag without irritating the animal. I patted its head, but then a power surge flew up my arm and through my body before. I screamed and I fell back. It was the same feeling I felt when I tried to get my implant off. My vision was a blur. All I could see were images flickering past like a giant slideshow. Although you can only few the picture for a second until a new one popped up and then another. One picture was of a Kaprosuchus, hoeing its size, weight and anatomy. Another was of its skeleton and a close up of its skull. A few more images popped up but I didn't have time to look at the closely since they were all changing at a rapid rate. Suddenly my vision began to clear and I could hear voices of Ajay and Marcus. They were standing over me, covering the bright sun.

"You ok?" They asked? I stood up and brushed off the dirt on my chest.

"It's nothing. Where's the Kaprosuchus?" I asked, realising that the Kaprosuchus had disappeared.

"It ran off when you had that seizure," Ajay added. "Anyways we're losing our friend that's over there."  I didn't hear him; I was so dazed about the whole incident. The whole fight, when it let me touch it and when I had the seizure. Did I bond with it? Is that how you bond with a creature? You beat the cr*p out of it and it loves you?

"Chris?"

"Oh yes sorry about that." I ran to our bleeding comrade. He was coughing up blood from his mouth and had his hands on his chest. He was still holding onto the Black flag with a firm grip. I guess Ajay and Marcus decided not to grab it.

"You...you bonded...with a kap...kap...Kaprosuchus." He coughed. "N...no one...has...ever....duh...done that."

"Hang in there Man, you're gonna be fine." There wasn't really a point in lying to him. His back was torn to pieces, he was losing blood like there was no tomorrow and his wounds were getting infected by mud and the bugs around us.

"Cyclopes... My name... Is Cyclopes." He continued. "May...the creators...shine...the path to...Elysium." When he finished, he had closed his eyes and took his last breath. I looked at his now purple impact. It flickered and then the light source died, making the entire implant black. He's dead. We sat around him in silence; even the crowd was silent. The black flag was free from his hand and so I grabbed it and held both the black and yellow flags in my hands. He didn't deserve this. These stupid 'trials' are just gonna get people killed. Cyclopes and that yellow team member are both dead. Who dies next? Anyways those leaders let Cyclopes die; they stopped those guards and watched us fight like dogs in a pit. Jerks...I like to see them come down here and suffer.

"Hide the body and get up. I can hear a group running towards us." Ajay demanded. The crowd began to cheer again, meaning that something big is gonna happen. I grabbed Cyclops’s body and dragged him into some bushes. He will not be forgotten for his heroism.

"Get ready for a whole lot of pain." I placed the black and yellow flags on our pole. Only one more left. We waited silently, standing around our pole, covered in different colours. Nothing happened. Did they past us? Or are they waiting for us to make a false move? I checked my behind to see if they were coming from behind us, and then turned around to see an arrow heading straight towards my face.

"Haha not so fast you little sh*t!" Ajay surprisingly caught it while it was darting towards me. He immediately snapped it with his knee and tossed it aside. More blunt arrows appeared out of the undergrowth. We covered our faces turned away.

"Bend your knees so they can't kick us behind the knees!" Marcus yelled. Sure enough, his idea worked. While we had our backs to them, some came running up behind us and tried to kick us behind the knees. It hurt a little but it wasn't as bad as it would've been if we didn't bend our knees. '

Hang on a second. People are attacking us while others are shooting us. We can use their men as shields and get close.' I glanced over two Ajay and Marcus. They seemed like they had the same idea. I put out 3 fingers to each of them, counting down to zero.

On zero, we swung around and punched them in the face with our weapon handles and turned them around. We grabbed a hold of their collars and stuck the sharp end of our weapons behind their backs. The crowd roared and cheered, excited to see what was next. There were at least 8 of them overall. We held 3 of them as meat shields while the others tried to shoot us. When they had an opening, we immediately closed it by pulling our hostages in front of the arrow. We slowly crept closer, getting closer to our targets. We all yelled and threw our hostages at them. Our knocked out prisoners collapsed on most of them and we knocked out the soldiers who got caught by the prisoners. 5 down, 3 to go.

"Get back to the flags!" I yelled and we rushed back, only to turn around and see 7 archers pointing their bows at us, arrows pulled back, point blank. Surprisingly, we were outwitted. They had their whole team! That's why the black team was eliminated! They even carried their pole with them, holding only their purple flag. They probably didn't want to run back and forth to grab the flags, but hey, it isn't cheating.

"Give up," one of them said. "We have you cornered."

"Never!" The Ajay and Marcus yelled. "We’ve come this far and took out nearly half of your team! We're not ready to give up!" The audience cheered louder. Actually let me rephrase that; they were screaming, and not from excitement. The rustling bushes gave it away for me. I must've been the only one who noticed because the others continued to argue. It was the Kaprosuchus creeping up behind them. It glanced at me and gave me a stare. It was hard to understand what it meant; their expressions are all the same, always angry and aggressive looking.

"Shut up!" The purple team yelled. "We won, time to end this!"

"Actually, I think we won." I smiled and looked behind them, making them know that's something is behind them. They hesitantly looked back. When they did they jumped in fright and screamed. The creature hissed and growled but did nothing but hold its ground. The archers shot at it; but of course, blunt wooden arrows wouldn't do much to an armoured crocodile. It even had a spear throne at it. It only just sunk into its left front leg, but it wasn't an issue to the beast. It simply turned and grabbed it with its teeth, snapping it in half. This was our chance! We could take them out while there were distracted. We took up arms and charged, smashing into people's backs and watched them collapse. 2 more eliminated. Now we just had to block, and attack. Nothing hard, after all, they all have bows. Marcus eliminated 2 men at once with one single hit to the head with is cleaver. Ajay had disarmed, tripped over and incapacitated another archer with his dual hatchets. I however was struggling with my two. The leader for some reason had two weapons, her bow and a large Warhammer. The other member I incapacitated quickly with stab to the stomach and a punch to the face. That man will forever be known as 'the man with a broken nose and jaw'. I smiled at my success but had to quickly jump backwards so I wouldn't get hammered to the head. The leader was swinging her hammer like she was an athlete practising hammer Throw. It was scary how she swung that thing around. She did one last swing then ducks down and tripped me over. I landed with a bang, although I was still on my knees, therefore I was not eliminated, simply vulnerable. She raised her hammer high into the air, right in the sun, blinding me. She swung down as hard and as fast as she could...but not fast enough. The tanky Kaprosuchus charged right into her side and she landed a few metres away. She definitely broke something, judging from the fact that she could not get up with her own strength. She laid there breathing heavily, screaming in pain. She was eliminated; and the bells rung once more. The crowd cheered and shrieked in delight. The crocodile nudged me to my face and nuzzled my hand. It was being very careful and gentle with me. I rubbed its head and smiled. The 3 of us smiled in delight and laughed.

"We won suckers!" We yelled. The crowd cheered some more and we all did one large bow. The Kaprosuchus stood by my side at all times. I guess we have this beast to thank. The first token of appreciation will be me giving it a name. I decided to name it by how it hunted me during this entire battle. It stuck to the trees and water, waiting for anyone to come too close; then it would attack without a sound.

"Lurker," I said. "Lurker will be just fine." It growled happily and gently shoved me. We all waited for Alastair to declare that the war is over and announce the winners.

"Purple team won! Red team disqualified!" He boomed

"Bullsh*t!" Ajay yelled.

"Team member carried two flags at once and had the company of a tamed beast!" Well sh*t. I guess I was the one who f*cked it up for everyone. I had both the black flag and yellow flag when I was speaking to Cyclopes. The crowd began to Boo and yell. The guards had to escort them out before things got out of hand.

"Cheater!"

"Loser!"

"Should've gotten eaten by that croc!" They yelled.

Lurker hissed and roared, but I calmed him down simply by resting my hand above his nostrils gently.

"I guess we lost then." I laughed

"Well...it’s not our fault" Ajay murmured. If Lurker didn't break in, we would've won. But that's ok. In reality, we would be the winners." He smiled. It was a good point. In a real battle, you'll need all the help you could get. There are no second chances. 'Kill or be killed'.

"You have no idea what you're messing with!" It was the purple team leader. She was limping over to us with a pissed face.

"Thanks to you losers, now I don't think I will be able to get elected into The Vanquishers Tribe!" She yelled; everyone was watching now.

"You want to join the Vanquishers? Why?" I asked.

"Duh? Because they're not living under a rock! Do you know why they're destroying tribes and are trying to make an alliance with the Junkers? Because they-" she was interrupted by Alastair who appeared out of nowhere

"Ahem, that's enough thank you, move along to trial 2" He tripped her over and walked off. I tried to give her a hand but she slapped it away.

"Get away from me new blood!" She yelled.

"Says the one who has yet to bond with an animal." I smirked. "Anyways, you won. Now shut up and get over it." Lurker Walked over to her and bared his sharp long teeth. She backed away in fear and then Lurker trotted back to me.

"Pfft, new bloods" I said.

The gates opened up again and we were all redirected to go back to the colosseum, where they would begin the second trial.

Author’s notes: I think it's good to leave it here. There's like 5 or more trials so I think 2-3 more chapters about the trials themselves are good.

11 hours ago, DahDerpasaur said:

Dang it Chris, You can't just tame a meso, then tame a kapro!

jk lol, that was a really good chapter!

thanks! He's just lucky he got a kapro in the first place. There's another trial that's solely about taming and having your creatures fight to the death in your teams :oxD 

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry this took so long! 

Survivor chapter 1: I found something...in the woods somewhere...

The evening seemed like any other evening; Abbey and I would lie comfortably on the meadow grass in each other's arms, not wanting to leave each other's sight...only this time...it was not one of those evenings. 

We lay together on the grass, watching the clouds in the sky intermingle, watching them form into one large, dark cloud, blackening the sky. Abby held my hand, squeezing it tight. She was happy where she was; there was nowhere else she wanted to be. Just hear, in the grassy meadows a few kilometres away from the Citadel. I smiled the entire time, not wanting to leave either, but I knew that something had to give. 

"Look babe, we need to head back now. A storm is brewing and General Walsh is probably wondering where we are. We're not supposed to be out here anyways." I sat up and looked over to her. She sat up and pressed her hand on my chest.

"Can't we stay a little longer Jackie?" She asked. "I'm sure a little storm isn't gonna hurt us." She smiled and gently kissed my cheek. 

"But the Sivatheriums..."

"Never mind about them; I'm sure that they'll be fine. It's not like someone is gonna steal them."

"That's not what I'm worried about..."

"Then what is the problem."

"General Walsh; he caught us sneaking out before when we were supposed to be guarding Ratpine, what happens if he finds us again? Good people died because of us."

"You're worried about my dad?" She chuckled and gave me a hug.

"You'll be fine. Don't be a big baby. But if you insist, we can go." Her expression didn't change. Her face was completely happy the entire time. She stood up and brushed the excess grass and leaves that were stuck to her clothing, then she lend me a hand. When she pulled me up, we gathered our weapons, tightened our uniform, and trotted over to the Sivatheriums back in the woods, holding hands and kissing each other's cheeks as we walked. The storm made it out as if we were walking around at midnight. The sky continued to growl and boom, but no rain fell to the floor. As we continued to move, I felt as if something wasn't right; as if...we were being followed. As we continued to walk down towards the forest, a foul stench intoxicated the area, as if death was following us...

It wasn't rare to have carnivores to hunt during storms. The majority of the herbivores usually hide out in the forests and under trees for protection, making them vulnerable prey; however this wasn't any normal storm. It was the biggest storm I've ever witnessed, the wind knocking small mammals off their feet and pulling small trees of their roots. The cracks of lighting deafened the area. Even Abbey held my hand tighter and move quicker. I could even see her implant slowly turning yellow. We were both scared; I got even more paranoid as we delved into the Black Forest. It was forbidden to enter a forest from dusk till dawn, but we usually keep our Sivatheriums in the forest so they can eat the special herbs that grow by the large trees. We were nearing to where we left our mounts. Abbey and I had made ourselves a little rope pathway, telling us how to get to the Sivatheriums and the safest track back to the Citadel. 

"We're nearly there jack." Abbey faked a smile to reassure me. She was in front of me now, still clutching onto my hand. She could probably see that my implant was already yellow. She stopped in her tracks; she even stopped smiling. In fact, now she wasn't covering her mouth with her hand because she was breathing heavily and panicking. 

"Honey what's wrong?" I came up next to her, giving her a gentle and comforting hug. Tears slowly dripped down her eyes. 

"...Lo....loo...look....over...th..there," she struggled to speak, so instead of continuing her sentence, she raised her trembling finger over to a tree, covered in darkness. It was too dark to see what she was pointing at until a crack of lighting brightened up the forest, revealing a swarm of flies swarming over two, mutilated Sivatherium corpses. Their body parts were sprawled all over the floor, limbs torn off, stomachs opened, a head of one and some organs were missing. The area was covered in blood, darkening out the footprints of the culprit. As my eyes adjusted to the new lighting, I could probably examine the footprints that were left behind. 

"A dracovenator." I said. "A lone, adolescent, male Dracovenator."

"Oh my god." Abbey continued to quiver where she stood, trying to hold back her tears. "What do we do now?

"We need to get out of here. As long as the storm is here, we're not safe." I stood back up and pressed my lips against hers, giving her a soft kiss. She calmed down a little bit, but not a lot. She grasped a hold of my waist and wrapped her arms around me, ignoring the foul stench that has now fumed the air. It wasn't from the corpses....but from something else...it smelt like the same stench that appeared when we were leaving me the meadows...

"Please Creators of the Ark.....be good to me." She muttered.

"Hey, you're not going to die. Ok?" I stammered.

"You're going to stay with me, we're going to have our own house in the GoldenClaw District, we're gonna start our own family and everything is going to be fin-"

A loud growl boomed through the forest, causing Abbey to turn around to see a Dracovenator charging straight towards her. I reached for my pike and ran towards it. It didn't hesitate nor stand its ground, it continued to charge. Younger predators are known to be a lot more vicious then adults. This one didn't disappoint. It bared its teeth and snarled the entire time it ran. I slid to the floor and pierced its chest with my Pike. As I jabbed my weapon into it, I could hear a scream. Not by the Dracovenator...but by a human. The beast crumbled to the floor, laying on its side, blood oozing from where the Pike hit its mark while the weapon itself was stuck in its like it was a needle that got stuck in Someone’s arm. I quickly rose to my feet, passing the dead reptile and running over to Abbey, who was lying on a rock, clutching onto her side. She was coughing up blood, her head was warm, her skin and clothes were soaked in sweat and black, infected blood. She was bitten on the left side of her body, now the Dracovenator's venom is seeping into her body, slowly shutting down all of the systems in the body, killing her from the inside...

I sat by her side. Putting pressure on her bleeding wounds with pieces of my uniform and brushing her hair back. She continued to cough up blood and scream in pain, her never ending tears trickled down her eyes like two small waterfalls, running down in parallel lines. Her temperature began to rise rapidly, getting warmer every time I touched her. Her allergies and weak immune system were making her survival rate decrease by every minute I wasted time.

"You're going to be fine ok? Promise that you'll stay with me. Promise!" I was trembling in fear, worried that I will lose the one person I love...the only person I call 'family' on this island. 

"I'll be rig...I’ll be right here...with you." She was struggling to even speak. She was paralysed; her body muscles were spazzing out. She was bleeding in different areas of her body; her ears, nose, mouth, under her finger nails and soon, she'll start bleeding from her eyes. 

"May...the creators shine the path...to Elysium." She closed her eyes and slowed down her breathing. She was preparing to die.

"No no no Abbey! Don't leave me like this! I'm going to find a way to cure you." I sat on top of her, shaking her shoulders until she woke back up. She was pale; her implant was bright green and was slowly turning purple. 

"Blue....mushrooms.....cure..." She managed to say, I could feel my tears sliding off my face. 

"Ok, I'll get you you're cure," I stammered. Slowly, she took off her necklace and handed it to me. It was the necklace I made for her. It was a carving of a flying Argentavis that was about to attack something, her favourite animal. 

"Take.....this...... Just.....in...case" she mumbled. I grasped a hold of it and wrapped it around the palm of my hand. I bent down and kissed her forehead and went to grab the resources. Usually blue mushrooms can be found if you continue to move down south. I glanced over to her lying on the rock she fell on. She tried her best to smile, but the pain surging through her body made it impossible. It wasn't long until I found what I was looking for. The blue mushrooms shun bright in the dark, as if it had its own light source. They hung on the side of a stumped tree, waiting for someone to grab them. I ran over to it and snatched a few. I didn't have time nor did I care to check my surroundings. I wanted Abbey to survive. As I turned around, a crack of thunder deafened the air, and then the rain began to pour. In my head, I felt as if I heard screaming at the end of the booming. I couldn't take a risk and ignore the cries. I bolted back to where I left Abbey, vaulting over dead logs, brushing through thorn bushes. As I ran, I could hear other critters running as well; smaller, lighter and faster. They zipped past me, hiding under the undergrowth. I can hear more screams coming from Abbey.

“I'm coming Abbey!" I yelled. I tripped over a log, and fell face first. I crawled up, wiping the dirt off my face to see Abbey, being eaten alive by Jackos and other small predators. She fought them off as best she could, but the venom in her system locked up most of the muscles in her body. She wasn't a match against the strength of a pack of Herrerasaurs. She dropped her sword from lack of strength and a Jacko jumped on her, making the back of her head split open from the rock she was laying on. Her expressionless face stared straight at me. A single tear formed and trickled down her face while a Jacko nibbled at her neck. I tried to hold back the anger, placing my hand over my mouth, trying not to scream. More tears fell down my face as I watch the only person I ever loved get eaten by scavengers. 

"May the creators shine the path to Elysium." I said, running away into the forest, not looking back. 

I doubt that the Jackos will follow me. I’m long gone from the scene now. I couldn't stop the tears running down my face. Abbey.....she's gone....I left her alone.... and now It's my entire fault. I continued to dash through the forest, evading as many creatures as I can while I looked at her necklace that she gave back to me. I guess it was the only memory I'll have of her now...

As it got darker, it was harder for me to see my surroundings; the fog that was forming was not aiding my escape. My legs began to ache from too much running. I was running defenceless since my pike is still in the Dracovenator's chest behind me. My legs couldn't run anymore and so I tripped and collapsed to the floor. I heard a loud groan; although it did not come from me...it was the object I tripped over. I used my bright yellow implant to determine what I tripped over. It was a soldier, lying on his side, curled up. I crawled over and turned him over.

"General Walsh!" I said in shock "what are you doing here?" He slowly opened his bright, bloodshot eyes. He coughed up blood and his teeth were stained red from the blood. 

"Looking.....for...you....abbey?....where....is.....my...daughter?" He managed to say.

"....she's dead....Jackos and a Dracovenator got her" I managed to studded out of my mouth. He began to tear up and tries his best not to cry.

"My.....little girl......gone." He was struggling to talk."

"I'm sorry....this shouldn't have happened." He paused and looked at me. His tears had mixed with the blood and his face had switched back to his usual serious face.

".......not...safe....here......new....smart.....dangerous....predator....lives...here," he coughed some more. I placed my hand down on his stomach, only to feel his intestines. Something has cut up his stomach and left him to die. I shined my implant at the wound. There was no way he could recover from all the cuts, slashes and bite marks. His insides turned to a purplish black colour, as if he had been poisoned of some sorts. His right leg itself looks like it melted and fell right off. 

"......kill.....me....." He whispered loudly. "Then...........run." I couldn't keep a straight face. I watched my girlfriend die, now I'm gonna have to kill her father as well. He didn't bear a weapon, so I had to use my hands. Carefully, I moved my hands in the correct position, so I wouldn't hurt him more, and then quickly snapped his neck. I heard him take his last breath and close his eyes. He seemed that he was in piece now.

"May the Creators shine the path to Elysium." I said as I bowed my head. I stood up, looking around the area to check if something was stalking me. I may not have seen them.....but I feel like I had new eyes watching over me.....

As I continued to move down the path, I grabbed a long, sharp stick to use as a weapon, worried that this 'new predator' might get me like how it got General Walsh. I felt very paranoid as I took every step, afraid to look back. I didn't want to look behind to see someone following me but at the same time want to look back to see if I am being followed. I glanced back to check if I was being followed. Nothing; not a single animal in my sights. From that sign ALONE, I would've guessed that something has scared them all off, meaning that I am being followed.

'Wait.......when was the last time you saw or heard an animal?' I stopped in my tracks to think about what I thought in my head. I haven't seen an animal ever since I crossed paths with Walsh.....the predator...its following me! Slowly, I turned around to see 7pairs of yellow eyes from all angles staring at me. Some were in the trees while others were prowling on the ground. I couldn't exactly see them properly. My guess was that they were a Kaprosuchus pack, which is usually rare to see. But these 7 were bigger than your everyday Kapros. I felt like they could've snapped half or more of my body in their mouths in one bite. I shun the implant light at the creatures to take a closer look. Before I could, one of them immediately jumped backed and snapped at the air. After it snapped at the air, I felt a burning feeling on my left arm. The creature spat at me! And now it's melting my fingers. I screamed in pain as I watched the tips of my fingers melt away into nothing. I glanced back at them, watching them making clicking noises crows and Dolphins and then hiss and roar.

'This is not a Kaprosuchus pack.....these are the new predators.' In fear, I ran away from the creatures that spat at my hand. They followed; though they didn't chase me, they merely ran along the trees, watching me as they roared and clicked. I threw my stick at one of them. Sadly it missed, but it sure did p*ss off one of them. It roared and sprayed acid behind my right knee. I instantly collapsed and hit my chin on a rock. I stumbled back from hitting the rock and fell down a small cave shaft that was covered with sticks and leaves. I fell through, rebounding off any rocks that were sticking out. Once I reached the floor, I had broken my right leg and my left arm. I clutched my right leg in agony and looked up to see that the predators aren't coming down, instead, they moved on, as if they were no longer interested in me. The cave was a lot brighter that outside, thanks to the glowing mushrooms. I tried my best to sit up and view my surroundings. The entire cave was covered in spider webs. There were corpses of multiple animals, covered in webs. Some were pterosaurs, one was a mammoth and another was a Tyrannosaurus. There was a drop between one side of the cave and the other. Probably a dried up pond of some sorts. Spiders of all shapes and sizes crawled up and down the Ridged pillars that held the roof of the cave. Honestly, I felt like I was safer out of the cave than in the cave. Stupidly, I cried for help since I knew that I would be stuck here for a long time.

"Hello?! Is anybody here?!" I cried. Immediately, the ground began to shake and the cave made a rumbling sound. All the spiders darted away in fear and hid in their little webs and burrows. It was caused by a large, green and yellow, spider, covered it horns and had large fangs, capable of penetrating a Doedicurus's shell. It came out of the gap in the middle of the cave and looked over at me and made a deafening roar, showing its many rows of teeth. Knowing that I couldn't move, it immediately climbed up from the gap and sunk its large fangs into my stomach. I screamed in pain as I felt my body get crushed together between its jaws. It held me there in its jaws, making me feel every ounce of pain I could handle. I struggled to break free from its clutches. Eventually I gave up and hung there while it stood there, as if it was a statue. Eventually I looked over to what it was looking at, and my eyes widened in complete utter shock.

It was Abbey. She stood there in front of us, wearing a Snow White dress, covered in small diamonds. Even a little bright aurora shun around her. Her red hair hung down wherever it pleased and she didn't bear any scratches or scars whatsoever. She walked over to us, her eyes were solely on me, smiling. She placed her hand on my cheek and kissed my forehead.

"Time to go home bub." Her soft voiced echoed through the cave. She slowly moved backwards without having to move her body or legs, as if she was levitating. I rose out my arm to give her back her necklace, but she faded away. It was an illusion; the last thing I saw was my hand sliding down its mouth as the rest of my body was crushed and broken down for digestion. 

Authors notes: not as good as what I anticipated it to be. It was good enough to make my girlfriend cry when I asked her to read it. This is a little series I'll be doing as well as the main story, illustrations and dossiers. They're called survivor chapters. This took a while because I was in the process of writing chapter 6 and then I thought about doing this while I t was fresh in my mind. I do promise that chapter 6 will be next. It's a big chapter. Thinking of splitting it up into thirds and then joining it all up when I finish it. Maybe I'll just make it chapter 6, 7 and 8. You guys can decide. After all, you're the readers xD . Anyways, about this little series. The chapters are portrayed from different survivors in different times. For example, chapter 2 can happen 3 days before chapter 1 etc. It brings more variety in the entire world of this book. This also tells us information/background lore that the main story doesn't e.g. How did the giga break through the citadel. The best part is that the characters can die. So it's best to not get attached to any characters XD. 

Also I have other news......I'm thinking of writing a trilogy!

Ok so the first book is all about what happens on ONE section of the ENTIRE map! That's book 1 (rising Obelisks).

Book 2 (The black gates)  is about the entire island. Learning that there's an entire ecosystem. Also driving them closer to the creators, as well as the other people and creatures on the island. Each person will have their own agenda at this point. (Black gates might fuse into Rising Obelisk. I'll try my best to keep them separate though)

Book 3 (redemption) is all about the final stand. I cannot say where this takes place but rest assured.....it's a surprise.

The fan fic trilogy is all Concepts and ideas and they might not be 3 books. They could just be 3 major parts in one big book or whatever. But I'll try my best to get 3 books. I'll also have to draw the entire map. But let me tell you now.....it’s huge! It's full of different biomes and unique creatures. Hell there's even a creature with its OWN ecosystem! Making titanosaurus a weakling!

Anyways, tell me what you think of this. I'm not at home now so I can't edit it. I'll edit it when I get back home!

22 hours ago, Kaprodonychus said:

Nah, I intend to leave these 3 books as fan fiction and not publish them due to copyright reasons. Does it seem like I am planning on publishing them? xD 

Yup, it sorta does. Unfortunately my story didn't really make it off the ground. I've had lots going on lately so I'll try making more dossiers and writing part 3

9 hours ago, PhilinDeblanc said:

Yup, it sorta does. Unfortunately my story didn't really make it off the ground. I've had lots going on lately so I'll try making more dossiers and writing part 3

Good luck! Best to get more chapters out there before dossiers, just so people know it's not gonna be one of those fan fics that do a few chapters and just fade away 

just edited the survivor chapter like I promised. Chapter 6 is also running along nicely. May be a bit short but hey, its a nice rough draft. No more NAPLAN, more time to write this stuff.

As I mentioned before, there will be 2 more fan fics about this....but is anyone interested in a prequel of THIS fan fic? I had an idea where its all seen in the eyes of our favourite twins, Alice and Rose Greenwood. *spoilers* before there time on the ark, they were archaeologists studying a new 'meteorite' in Antarctica which then links up with the Krions further down the hill. It is a neat concept and will be a bit cool/interesting/hard/challenging to write.....But that's gonna be AWESOME. More stuff to show you guys and how much I love writing about things I love (Ark, monsters and dinosaurs) Also, Black gates and Redemption are confirmed and will be separate fan fics.

however, the prequel requires a lot of thinking so i'm not gonna share anymore news about Redemption or the prequel on here. I'm focusing on Rising Obelisks and Black gates and how these two will flow. if you want to discuss more about this fan fic, or possible upcoming fan fics. Privately message me and I'll be happy to discuss with you:D God......im so hyped about this all *drinks water and meditates*.....ok I'm good now xD 

• 2 weeks later...

Chapter 6: night 1

"Chris! Wait up!" It was the two sisters. Both Alice and Rose jumped into my arms and held me tight. Like before, it was a warm sensation. I didn't need to worry about letting go, cause from what I saw; they were in no rush of letting go either. I took it all in, slowly embracing their warmth, until they jumped back and panicked.

"Hey uhh...what's that?" They pointed behind me. I didn't even need to look. It was just a wild guess as to what they were talking about.

"This is Lurker, my new friend." I smiled. "He's one of the reasons why we were disqualified." Lurker confronted the two girls and sniffed their hands and then moved around to sniff the rest of their body like a dog meeting its new owners. Rose raised her hand out to pat him, but he snarled at her and continued to snarl until they backed off.

"Easy boy," I calmed him. "They're friends."

The beast calmed, but stayed by my side as we left the arena. I looked up to see the two girls smiling uneasily. With them standing closely together, it's kinda hard to prove that they're sisters. Rose, being the youngest out of the two, has luscious brown hair and dark brown eyes. She was also a tad shorter than Alice. Alice on the other hand, was taller, had straight blonde hair tied back in a ponytail instead of leaving it hanging and had a few freckles on her face. She also wore glasses, brightening her grey, stormy eyes. The only real similarities they have are their small noses, light skin and their fit and curvy body shape. Eventually, the sun fell over the horizon once more, darkening their characteristics.

"Did that one trial take the entire day to complete?" I questioned.

"Well sorta," Alice said. "You gotta factor in the two hour long parade, the hour and a half long introduction and getting ourselves sorted. Then the battle itself took forever."

"I guess you're right."

"Hey what was the deal with you three boys and that other limping chick? What did she have to say?" Rose looked at us with a stern look, making sure that we weren't lying to her.

"Oh her?" Ajay butted in. "She was p*ssed cause she thinks that she won't be able to join the Vanquishers because of her current state. Then she babbled along and mentioned that the Vanquishers were trying to create an alliance with 'The Junkers'." We all had mixed thoughts after that. Most of us exchanged glances to one another.

"Who are The Junkers?" Marcus asked.

"How should we know? We just got here and people are already dying." I said. "We're all on the same boat right now. Let's just stick together and be a team like usual. Just the five of us." They nodded and we continued walking.

"Remember you have to get Chimp back from that lady." Ajay added. Cr*p! I forgot about chimp!

"Uhhh....yeah, I'll get him after this meeting up here." I muttered. There was a large gathering of all the contestants in front of the podium. No one was in there lines anymore. Some of them turned back to see the 5 of us and then turned away, whispering to the person next to them so they could look at us. Eventually, everyone glanced at us and it caused one big game of Chinese whispers, one person saying something until everyone has received the message. They were looking at Lurker and then back at me. 

"Enough chit chat!" Alastair stepped forth onto the podium with is hands behind his back, puffing out his large chest.

"I don't want to hear anything from you while I'm up here waiting! Sure, there was a Kaprosuchus that broke into the battlegrounds; but since you all have eyes and can see, that problem has been resolved! The first ever tamed Kaprosuchus! Congratulations runt; I would shake your hand, but I'm a soldier and have better things to do. Right now, I'll be assigning you to the next trial!"

Moans and groans were heard all throughout the group. There were even some complaints as well as whining.

"But sir! It's almost dark! It's not safe during the dark!"

"My friend died today and I don't want to be the next person to die!" Soon some of the complaints were just plain dumb such as 'My feet hurt' or 'I'm tired."

"Shut your god damn mouths!" The commander boomed. "I know that you may have lost your friends during the first trial! Now here's the thing, I don't care! Nor do I care if your feet hurt or if you're tired. I'm the commander! You listen to ME! Am I clear?"

"Sir yes sir!" We saluted and then dropped our hands. It seemed kinda harsh to just forget about what happened today. Cyclopes and that other man's death should not be forgotten. It was also harsh of Alastair to say that he didn't care about us either. But hey, Lurker didn't care either when he killed those two men either.....

"Trial 2!" Alastair continued. "Is a simple trial, in fact it's not even a trial. More of an exercise! In this 'exercise' you will be guarding the different districts of the Citadel. Yes, you'll be given a uniform and a proper weapon. You'll be given a sword, shield and a bow with Steel broad heads. You'll be guarding the districts for the next 3 days!"

3 days of just standing around and doing complete dog sh*t? Why did I sign up for this again? Oh wait, we didn't sign up, Tara did. Great, this is gonna be an 'amazing experience'.

"Well why are you all standing around then? Get out of your armour and get your uniform, weapons and templates! Go go go!" Alastair was leading us along to another tarp area with new weapons, uniforms and templates. The templates we received on our own. They had our name and told us who was with us in our squad and which district we're going to. At the very bottom it contained a map of the Citadel and had a marker, directing us to the district.

-------------------------------------

Name: Chris Shaw

Squad team: C14

Squad members:

• Chris Shaw

• Reiner Hawthorn

• Marcus Embers

• Cyclopes Thompson

District name: Ratpine District

-------------------------------------

There it was...Cyclopes Thompson. The one eyed man who was brutally killed by Lurker. Flashbacks of the incident began to flash through my head. The screaming, his bloody face in tears. His arms shredded down to the bone and his back skin and flesh were sticking out as if something burst right of it. The feeling was disastrous, but I knew I couldn't linger on this. I need to move on and forget about the past.

"Looks like we're together Mr Shaw." Marcus continued to beam as he placed his hand on my shoulder with a firm grip. If he squeezed any harder, I think my shoulder would've popped out of its socket.

"I guess we are partners Mr Embers." I snickered.

"What? You have a problem with my last name Shaw? Just because yours is better doesn't mean you get to judge." He began to act like a little child who was being bullied.

"Oh no oh mighty Embers. I think your last name is pretty badass." I laughed, and so did he.

"Pfft, immature idiots." The tall giant from black team emerged from the crowds and approached us. He held his template in his right hand while he held his mace in his other. I tilted my head to see his template. Great...he's in our squad. The large man practically towered over Marcus......and Marcus towers over me! Reiner stood there and stared at us with dead eyes. He dropped his wooden mace on the floor and scratched his beard.

"What are you two staring at?" He snarled as he caught a grossly huge bug with his hand and crushed it. He flicked the remains at another person from a different squad. When that squad member turned around, he instantly turned pale. He then quickly glanced at the leader of The Vanquishers leader, who was staring at him with his dead eyes. The poor squad member turned back to his squad and didn't turn back. Reiner turned back at us, still death staring us with his almost black eyes.

"I asked a question dipsh*ts. So who's gonna answer?" His voice got deeper as he spoke, expressing his impatient personality. Marcus growled in a low tone, clenching his fists. Reiner just snorted and cracked all of his knuckles with ease and move forward, waiting for a fight.

"Uh we’re looking at our new squad member, Reiner Hawthorn." I forced a smile. But I knew that he could tell that he was faking it. He paused and looked at me. His face got redder and full of hate. He stepped forth, looking down at me.

"Don't you EVER say my last name. If you do, I swear to god I'll send you to Elysium myself! You got that tiny head?" He growled, placing his large hand on my head, completely covering it with his palm. He squeezed my head for a bit and then lifted me up with his firm grip.

"Do I make myself clear?" His voice got louder, catching everyone's attention.

I stared at him with an unimpressed face, ignoring the shear pain

"Yes, I understand...Hawthorn." I smiled and crossed my hands. The crowd gasped and whispered to each other with their eyes still on us. Reiner growled and was clenching his other fist. He glanced around to realise the crowd around us. Like the terrified squad member he flicked the dead insect on, Reiner then glanced at the Leader of the Vanquishers. Like always, he sat there on his chair, elbows on the table with his hands clenched together in front of his mouth, covering his facial expressions. From my point of view, I believe he was smiling evilly, as if this was his big plan. The leader lost his attention when his battle-scarred black and grey dire bear nuzzled his shoulder. He turned to his left to brush through the bear’s fur, showing his half scared face. It was a weird type of scar. It looked more of a burn mark than an animal scratch or battle scar. It was strange; for a man like him to have a scar like that. Must have quite a story to tell. Reiner growled even more just staring at him and dropped me in the process. I fell on my knees, placing my hands on my head to check if everything is intact. Reiner shrugged his shoulders with a 'humph' and walked away.

"You know, you may not like us nor do you not want to be here; but right now, we're a squad and we have to work together for 3 days. After that, the trials start again and we go our own ways. Ok?" I protested. He stopped in his tracks, his head lowered down thinking. He eventually looked up and turned around and marched over to me. I felt that I may have crossed a line. His face was red with anger; his eyes were even more deathly than before.

"You have no idea what I've been through." He snarled. "Instead of looking forward for the end of the trials, why don't you think why the trials have been put on hold?" He stormed off to the tarp, waiting to get his uniform and new weapons. Alastair arrived to the scene to check if everyone was alright. He looked around, puzzled why no one was moving.

"What are you all doing? Get to the tarp to get into your uniforms!" He ordered and then marched back to where he originally came. After that unmotivational speech the commander made, we all stood up and lined up to the tarp, waiting to get suited up to our new outfits. We unstrapped ourselves from our armour from the first trial and tossed it away, as well as our useless, wooden weapons. While waiting in line, I leaned to my side to see if Mrs Longbridge was there with Chimp. Sadly, she was not.

'Idiot, you'll never see her again with Lurker around.'

Oh course! She's probably upset with the kapro around, after all that had happened with her son. I wouldn't be surprised if Lurker was the same kapro that killed him...

"Next please." One of the men who was in the tarp called for me. I wondered over to him and Lurker followed me in. The Kaprosuchus lay down behind me while I spoke to the man who called me. He had short brown hair and wore spectacles and overalls. He spoke lightly with a nice British accent. He took my template and skimmed through the information.

"Ratpine district...hmmm...awful place," he muttered under his warm breath and tossed it back to me and began burrowing into a pair of draws, containing multiple badges.

"Excuse me?" I questioned him. If I was to go to Ratpine district, I better know what I'm up against. I startled him. The dresser probably thought I didn't hear him from before. He sighed and bowed his head and spoke lightly.

"Ratpine is one of the poor districts," he would occasionally look around to check if no one was listening while he rummaged through his drawers. "It's near the front gates and has the highest crime and death rate."

"So what you're saying is that Ratpine is full-"

"Shhhh not so loud!" He hissed. "You don't want to cause a commotion. People don't like crime here. They get scared and panic, causing the entire capital to flip upside down. Loud noises also attract the predators that hunt at Night. And since that the sun is just above the horizon, it's not a good idea to be talking loudly; the guards can only handle so much."

"Ok I'm sorry," I whispered. I too was getting paranoid about the people walking and talking around us. "So Ratpine district is full of thieves?"

"Correct. Sometimes there's the occasional small predators that come out at night and kill an unsuspecting victim."

"I'm confused, how come small predators are breaking in?"

"It's not only wild predators; some tamed animals can get too protective and aggressive and will kill someone if they get too close." He finally grabbed the badge he was looking for and smiled with glee "aha I found it! Eureka!" He kissed it and sowed it onto a guard uniform that looked like my size. The badge was side view of a typical, rabid rat, bearing its jagged teeth. The background was pine trees, standing tall and vertical in their place. He measured me twice to double check that he got the right size for me. My shoulders were a bit bigger than the shoulder pads but he said that it wasn't an issue due to the amounts of spare shoulder pads.

"May I ask a question?" I asked

"You just did but hey, carry on" he murmured while he was suiting me up.

"Why are the trials delayed?" He paused completely still as if he belonged in a wax museum. As usual, he stepped back to look about to see if anyone was listening, then he leaned forward and whispered in my ear.

"There's a serial killer in the city." He whispered. The dresser stepped back to not make things awkward.

"A serial killer?" I questioned quietly.

"Why so secret about it?"

"Because that's how the elders want to deal with it. They don't want people to know because if they do, they'll know that the Citadel is not a safe place that it's supposed to be. I only know this because I overheard Alastair and some tribe leaders discussing about it while you were all in the battlefield."

"Then why have us deal with it?"

"Because it's getting worse." while he continued, his implant slowly began to turn yellow. I had to calm him down before anyone noticed.

"The killer started to kill more frequently." He continued.

"He or she is only targeting the guards. So the citadel needs more manpower. If the commander was to tell you, none of you will agree to carry out this task." He glanced over and looked at the resting Kaprosuchus.

"With him by your side, you might have a chance to catch the killer." He muttered. "They've have a good sense of smell and are one of the fastest creatures on the island. Anyways, you should get going. Oh and don't forget to grab your weapons. How is the uniform?"

"If fits perfectly, thank you." I said. The uniform was the exact same uniform the soldiers wore when they saved me and my friends from the velociraptors. A camouflage pattern, coloured grey, red and brown. A black padding covered the chest, shoulders, elbows, and kneecaps. The boots looked like typical hiking boots, with shin padding and camo. The head piece was the simple bucket like helmet soldiers wear when they go to war, just without the fancy gadgets and straps. He darted over to a weapon rack, grabbing one piece of equipment over to me each time. The first was a quiver, filled with 50 arrows, all having steel broad heads, sharp to the point. The second piece was the bow itself. A fine, recurve wooden bow with a firm grip and a primitive sight. The last piece was an elegant, steel sword, reflecting off the moonlight from outside. The dresser grabbed a special belt so I could equip it all to my outfit. He leaned to his side to observe Lurker, who was enjoying himself on the floor, observing the ants walk past his claws.

"You know...I could quickly make a saddle for your friend over there. Not only could he be a good companion, but also a good mount. Kaprosuchus's are very fast animals you know." The dresser added. I glanced back over to Lurker, who didn't seem keen on the idea. I smiled at him, and then turned back.

"Yes that would be nice, thank you." I said. Lurker groaned in hate and boredom, bearing his teeth so everyone could see inside his mouth.

"Excellent, in sure I can just get a Dire wolf saddle and then do a few changes and add on extra things." He rummaged through his drawers again; pulling out a saddle which he believed was a Dire wolf saddle. He left the seat itself alone, but changed the straps and hooks will longer leather straps.

"Never did a Kapro saddle before....never had to..." He murmured.

"Whys that?" I asked

"Cause out of everyone that has ever set foot on this island, you're the first person to tame one." He turned to me, holding the new saddle with a pale expression.

"What's wrong?" I asked

"Well.....while I give it its saddle...can you make sure it doesn't kill me?" He gulped. He was truly terrified.

"Sure." I replied. Already, Lurker was on his feet growling at the dresser, bearing is fangs and swiping at the air.

"Easy Lurker. It's going to be ok." He claimed down a little, but he was still growling while the dresser was equipping his saddle. He placed the seat on Lurker's back, behind his front legs. He pulled the straps down and under his belly, eventually clipping both sides together. The last piece was a strap and a metal bar that had to be placed in his mouth.

"I'm gonna let you do this part. I've seen too many people lose their hands while doing this with other predators." The man said, taking a step back. I sighed and grabbed the last strap, and waited for Lurker to slowly open his mouth. It was a little scary; I had to rely on a prehistoric crocodile to not shut his mouth and chomp on my hands. Very slowly, I placed the bar at the very back of his mouth. For some strange reason, I made sure that the metal bar didn't touch his teeth. Probably because I was worried that if I did, his mouth will snap shut. Everything was going nice and well until I knocked the metal bar on one of his back canines. I winced and closed my eyes, but felt no pain. I slowly open my eyes to still see Lurker's mouth open, waiting for me to place the last strap.

'He didn't eat my hands.......he respects me...' All the fear I had before finally faded away and I placed the bar at the very back of his mouth. The dresser trotted over and then started tightening all of the straps, making sure that the saddle wasn't loose.

"Thank you." I said

"Not a problem," he said. "Also, not a word to anyone about what we discussed before." The dresser grabbed my chest and pulled me closer, whispering in my ear. "Agreed?"

"Agreed." I answered quickly

"No go on. I have heaps of others to dress up."

"Wait! Before I go, do you know where Mrs Longbridge is?"

"Hmm? Oh yes the poor lady with the dead son. Crazy woman...oh..you're still here. Well she's not here. Just wait until tonight or something. I'm sure she'll come by your new quarters in the next 3 days. Now Ta ta." He waved his hands at me, telling me to go away. Rude; I bet he barley gets paid for this, or if he even gets paid at all. I hope he's right though, I don't want to lose my pet Mesopithecus, Chimp. I stood at the side of the tarp, waiting for everyone else to get their equipment. Lurker rested by my side, staying alert of any danger. He'll growl at the occasional people that walk past but he eventually stopped after the first few times I calmed him. It's a whole new world for him, he'll just have to get used to it. I decided to sit next to him and let him rest his large head on my lap while I admire his new saddle.

The next person that left the tarp was Ajay, marching out of the tent, completely oblivious to where I was sitting.

"Hey idiot!" I laughed. "Get over here!" He jumped in shocked and turned to me.

"Oh, there you two are." How's my favourite Kapro and Kapro tamer doing?" He asked.

"I'm fine, just got Lurker a saddle thanks to the dresser back inside the tarp."

"Yeah I saw. It's a nice looking saddle."

"Hmm, yeah. So which district were you assigned to?" I asked curiously.

"I'm in GoldenClaw district." He answered excitedly, showing his badge to me, which contained a golden Raven and fire behind it. "Apparently it's one of the richer districts. What about you?"

"I'm in Ratpine district with Marcus and the giant, Reiner. A poor district."

"I'm with Alice, Rose and Nathalia, the girl who was the leader of the purple team."

"Ouch, must suck to have her in your group."

"Yeah, who was the fourth person in your group?" I paused. I couldn't answer his question. All I could was stand there in silence, looking awkwardly at the ground. From Ajay's reaction, I guess that he now knew who it was.

"....oh....Never mind...I should go; the others are waiting for me. Bye." He darted off over to Alice and Rose. I stroked Lurker's head while he rested it on my lap. I waited for Reiner and Marcus to leave the tarp. They emerged from the tarp, adjusting their outfits and moving their quivers.

"What do we do now?" Marcus asked, looking at his template.

"We go to Ratpine district and get this over with." Reiner marched on, pushing away anyone insight. I stayed where I was on the floor next to Lurker, glancing over to Marcus who stood there with his arms crossed, pulling a small smile.

"Well ain't he a charmer?" He smiled.

"Come, might as well follow him."

"Agreed. Make sure he doesn't get out of line." I stood up and followed Marcus. Lurker stayed by my side at all times, trotting along like an oversized dog crocodile.

"You should try and ride it." Marcus muttered

"What?" I said in shock

"Well it would be a waste to have a perfectly good saddle and find out that you're too fat to ride him."

"Excuse me but I'm not fat" I chuckled.

"Then prove it. Ride your beast." I glanced over to see Lurker staring right at me with is Amber coloured eyes of anger. As I stared at his eyes, it made me think of the wild, animals running through the valley, drinking at the river between the Great Plains. But I also felt hate and pictured lots of death and blood. It even made me think twice of actually riding it. Hesitantly, I grabbed one of the handle straps on the side of the saddle and hoisted myself up slowly. Lurker was uncomfortable when I transferred my weight to him, but over time, he grew into it. I held onto the handles tight and rode him around like a horse, giving him simple commands, hoping he'll understand.

"Follow Reiner," I politely ordered to my beast. He didn't respond. Instead, he reared up and bolted, with me still on his back. Instead of following Reiner, he completely jumped right over him, kicking him in the back of the head with his tail. Judging from his facial expressions, he wasn't pleased. Lurker ran right out of the colosseum and starting running through the markets just outside. At first, the citizens at the markets were cheering from the great fight I had with Lurker, then there expressions changed to fear when they saw me, having no control over my Kaprosuchus, bounding over towards them. They screamed and ducked under the carts filled with all sorts of food, trinkets and toys. Lurker ran right through the markets, not caring of anyone he ran into. Down the runway of carts and homes, a woman screamed for help. I only had a split second to glance over to see the issue while I held on tight while Lurker tried to buck me off. The woman was being robbed. The robber was hiding under black cloth, holding a knife while he used the other hand to steal the woman's satchel.

"Stop right there!" I yelled, pulling back at the reins on Lurker's saddle. After that, he finally paid attention and was witnessing the robbery. He hissed in anger; making all of the citizens, animals and guards in the area shiver in fear. From their eyes, angering a Kaprosuchus is probably a death sentence. Even the bandit paused and stared back at Lurker, letting go of the girl’s satchel and letting her run away. The thief bolted away into one of the alleyways. I tugged at the reins and this time, Lurker responded. He hissed once more and galloped after him at an incredible speed. The citizens that were already scared, they were now petrified, as if Lurker was a wild predator all over again, chasing his prey down. We turned to our right to enter the alley way, where the bandit waited for us with his mount. It was a large, brown dire wolf. It stood by his side, snarling at the two of us. I hopped of Lurker and drew out my sword. The thief tilted his head to his side and spoke slowly, as if there was no longer any trouble.

"I don't believe we've properly met. I know you of course; the man who tamed the kapro. My my my, that was a good day. Stole a lot of trinkets and Arkrins from all the people that watched you fight that beast." He stood there, stroking his wolf as he spoke, holding his curved knife in his other hand.

"I don't know you, I don't need to know you and overall, I don't care. You're under arrest. Come along quietly."  I command.

"Ooooh, so you're a guard now?" He chuckled. "That's sad. Most guards get eaten by beasts or die under the hands of murderers."

"I take it you're the murderer?"

"No. I'm the 'Black Bandit'. The most notorious thief to ever set foot in the Citadel!" He raised his arms out, to further show his superiority.

"Like I said before, I don't care."

"Of course you don't. And that's what gets you killed here...time to set an example." He swung his jagged knife around and both he and his dire wolf charged towards us. Lurker hissed and jumped up at the Dire wolf, wrestling with it, trying to get at its neck. I felt like I was back in the arena playing capture the flag. It all seemed the same to me, except the challenger was a lot more difficult. The Black Bandit was fighting as if it was a dance; stroking his blade here and there. He was a tough challenger; he was incredibly light on his fight and slashed at my bottom waist every time I thought he was going to attack.  He would swing his blade at my face but as soon as I would block, we would immediately duck and slash at my leg. Lurker on the other hand was having a marvellous time with the dire wolf. He continued to smash the wolf into a wall. The poor wolf yelped in pain and tried to break free, but Lurker was a lot stronger and he continued to scratch, swipe and claw at its stomach and face. I had to not focus on those two. Already, the Black Bandit has already given me a few cuts on my face. That was before I exposed his algorithm. He would make me block and continue to slice at my legs. Eventually I'll bleed out and he'll have a free get away. So if I was to attack first....things could go differently. It was his turn now; he came up to swipe my face again. Instead of blocking, I went into full assault mode and tackled him to the floor, causing us to drop both our weapons. I sat on top of him and continued to smash his face with my fists. He tried to cover his face, but I was stronger and smarter than him. Whenever he blocked one area of his body. I'd start bashing another area. Eventually, Lurker sunk his jaws into the dire wolf's neck and threw him away, causing it to knock me over, freeing the thief. He immediately got up and ran, not bothering to pick back up his knife. I picked up my sword and both Lurker and I chased him into the dark. It was hard to chase him at night. His black outfit made hard for me to find him, but for Lurker, it was not a problem. He sniffed him out and found him running along the large wall between the wilds and the Citadel. The bandit continued to run while guards with crossbows chased him. I hopped back onto Lurker and held on tight while he scaled up the wall to get up to their level. We were coming up to an area of the wall were the railings of the outer side of the wall were crumbling off. We caught up to the guards and continued to pursue him. Lurker and I were cracking down on him and would've arrested him...until one of the guards stupidly shot him. The bolt went right through the back of his knee and the bandit collapsed onto a crumbling piece of the wall. The railing collapsed and he fell off the side of the large wall, screaming for help. Unlike every other guard that stood there helplessly, I jumped off Lurker and grabbed the bandit’s foot. It was a good thing I got him too, because for one thing, it was a big drop and also, there was a pack of Troodons passing by. Luckily they didn't notice the bandit and I, they were too focused the debris that fell and crushed one of the pack members. I secured my foot between Lurker's legs and slowly hoisted the bandit up. The guards and officers helped me and pulled him up, handcuffing him after they got him to his feet. I sat myself up and heard the faint noises of creatures running in the trees in the dark forest at night. I closed in on the noise. Straight in front of me, was a pair of green eyes staring straight at me. It was too dark for me to see what if was. All I could see was the outline of its body. It was a large feline laying on a tree a hundred or so metres away. It looked at me intently, watching my every move, smelling my breath, and studying my looks. I wanted to get closer, but of course, if I got any closer, I would've fallen to my death. Some of the guards from behind me picked me up from surprise and put me on my feet. When I looked back, the mysterious feline was gone. It just....disappeared. Behind me, the voice of the Black bandit yelling at the guards began to irritate me. I first brushed the dust and small rocks off my uniform and turned around to face the commotion. The thief stood there, trying to break free from his highly secure handcuffs. 

"Get off me! I can stand by myself!" He demanded; although the guards did not listen nor pay attention to him.

"Ah, lookey here, the Black Bandit." An officer stepped appeared from one of the towers that were along the wall and approached the bandit. Immediately, the bandits face changed from angry and frustrated, to c*cky and smart.

"My my my, General f*cking Walsh," he commented as the general marched forward.

"I'm baffled that your reputation hasn't been ruined. After all; it was YOUR daughter that let the giganotosaurus enter the front gates." Walsh stepped forth, only inches away from the bandits face.

"And I remember you too...Neil Hunter. That's right, I know who you are. I also remember you as a little boy, when your parents and friends neglected you for accidentally setting fire on your entire village; the reason why you returned here and lived a life of crime." General Walsh stood there with his voice calm and loud. His comment angered Neil and he stood back before Neil could head butt his face.

"I'm gonna kill you after this." Neil yelled. He tugged at his cuffs and tried to burst forward at Walsh, but the guards held him back. The citizens down below looked up at us standing at the wall, curious as to what happens next.

"How many times do you think that I’ve heard someone say that to my face?! Look at me! I'm still here you neglect. The people who have said that to my face are either in the Brig, dead, are outcasts, or are the ones who clean up my Carnotaur's sh*t! Right now, after all of the crimes you've committed, you are now an outcast! Guards! Get him out of this city!" The general boomed and the guards took the bandit away while he tried to break free from their Grasps. "Wait!" The bandit yelled and broke free. He limped over and stood in front of me. I could've been more cautious, but I knew he couldn't do anything while he's handcuffed.

"You saved me. Why?" He stood their impatiently while the guards rushed over and grabbed a hold of him

"I've seen enough death for the past few days. Besides, I've felt the pain of Troodon's venom before. I'd hate to see someone else suffer the same pain I did." I answered. "Take him away now." The guards and Neil obeyed and they walked off.

"You handled yourself pretty well son. What's your name?" The general approached me and observed my looks and outfit.

"Shaw, Chris Shaw sir." I stood their respectively, hoping to not look awkward.

"At ease, I remember you now Kapro tamer. Now, what's a Ratpine soldier doing out all the way in the central markets?" He glanced at the badge on my uniform. I relaxed my body posture and explained myself.

"Well, I'm not exactly a soldier; just filling in time until Trials are back on."

"Have fun with that, not much people survive the 'human trials'.

"Human trials?"

"Yes. Human trials is the next trial, it tests how well you are when it comes to the environment and different situations. Whatever you do...do not go near large mountainous ridge or 'The Black gates'. It's a treacherous pathway that is swarming with strange and dangerous wildlife. No one ever survives." He lowered his voice so the people down below couldn't hear.

"Anyways, good luck with your trails. You'll need it." He was going to walk down the tower a few metres away until my statement made him stop in his tracks.

"General...I know why the trials have paused."

"Oh?" I waited for the citizens to lose interest and walk off before I said anything else.

"There's a murderer on the loose isn't there?" He turned to face me with a blank expression. Before he answered, he looked around to see if anyone is nearby.

"Yes. But keep it down; we don't want to cause a panic. We'll let people know when things get out of hand.

"If we're now a part of this investigation because of this, does that mean that things already got out of hand?"

"I said we'll let people know ok? Now relax, and make sure to find your way back to Ratpine. Ok?" He slowly turned back around and walked into the darkness.

"What was that about?" Marcus walked up from behind me and pats me on the back. Reiner followed him from behind; arms crossed and had an impatient expression.

"Oh...nothing. General Walsh thanked me for catching the Black Bandit" I said quickly. I wanted to change the subject, but Marcus was curious about what happened.

"What happened? How did it start? What's with the dead Dire wolf down at the alley way?" He continued to fill my brain with questions I couldn't exactly answer. Even Reiner was impressed to see that I had caught the bandit, but he shrugged his shoulders and chuckled sinisterly.

"Humph, Walsh." He said with his deep and strong voice.

"That name should've died with the giga..." He looked away and faced one of the districts that looked dirtier and had broken buildings and scaffolding. My guess was that it was Ratpine. We all went silent; now I could finally have peace and listen to the mighty city. The voices of all the citizens and guards in each district chatting with each other, the wind blowing over the walls, brushing past the people walking on it. The yawns and groans of the prehistoric creatures, about to go to sleep. Lurker was also tired from a long day. He was sniffing and licking his wounds on his claws and arms from his battle with the dire wolf.

"Come on, let's go to Ratpine," I said. Reiner took the lead and led us to our district.

"Not so fast," Reiner smacked his hand on my chest, stopping me.

"Your beast hit my head."

"That's not my problem. If you want to discuss about it, talk to him," I pointed to Lurker who growled at him as he stood up and followed me.

The district smelt like waste and dead animals. Small flies flew all over the place and most of the paint on the houses were either scratched or wore off. Other than that, the majority of the buildings were scorched or severely damaged. The only thing that wasn't entirely damaged was the guards Barracks. On top of it was a large carnivore skull hanging off the front and two Ratpine district flags, similar to our badges. The 3 of us entered the old and dusty barracks that had at least one cobweb in every top corner of the building. Stupidly, I went over to the wall to turn on the lights, but of course, there was no switch was there? I sighed, thinking how long it will take for me to get used to the whole primitive life on this island.

"I take the first night shift," Reiner grunted and huffed back outside.

"You losers go to bed and rest your worthless minds." After he slammed the door shut, Marcus and I stood together and discussed which bed we wanted. In the dark, I could see that the two beds in the middle were already vacant, judging from the mounds underneath the bed sheets and the excessive snoring from one of them. All that was left were the two beds on each side of the rooms by the Windows and the couch.

"You take one of the beds. I'll take the couch," Marcus came to a conclusion and jumped onto the couch. He tried his best to snuggle in, but his expression showed that he wasn't.

"...f*ck it. I'm going in one of the beds." He immediately jumped up and laid down on one of the beds. He pulled the sheets over him with a single pull and went to sleep. Lurker decided to park himself on the couch and also fell asleep. I was unsure sure whether or not he was allowed to be inside the barracks. I do believe there was a place outside for him to rest, but I'm not in the mood nor do I have the strength to take him outside, not after that fight I had with the Black Bandit. I held onto the small cuts and slashed he gave me. I decided the best thing for me right now was to rest. Gently, I laid myself down on the bed, pressing down on the rugged mattress made of thatch and springs, and closed my eyes; letting my mind drift away. During my time trying to get to sleep, the screams of pterosaurs and other prehistoric scavengers slowly rose over the sound of silence. I hope that tomorrow, Mrs Longbridge will arrive and return chimp. God I miss that coward of a monkey. Eventually, the screams of the creatures changed, now sounding more human like...like a woman screaming for mercy.

Authors notes: I gonna say this in advance. I won't have a lot of time doing the next chapter in the next few weeks because of school work. But I’ll try my best to complete it.

• 2 weeks later...

Teaser!

The two large predators stood face to face; only having a dead diplodocus lying on the ground to separate them.   The prize should've rightly been given to the female giganotosaurus; the apex predator of the territory. The poor adult sauropod and its herd had wondered too close to its nest. Usually the female wouldn't dare hunt down a fully grown, healthy diplodocus and its herd, but it had to kill it so it can take care of its starving children. Food was scarce after the unknown virus spread throughout the island from an dilophosaurus that was found in the ocean. Now that the mother has claimed her prize, another predator looking for food has entered her domain. A large male bull predator has stepped forth, hoping to eat the sauropod without hesitation. The mother kept her adolescent children behind her, making sure that they didn't get hurt in the process. She stepped on the diplo's stomach, showing that it's her food and she's taking it with her. She bared her long serrated teeth at the beast and let out a booming roar. In retaliation, the intruding predator rose up and made another roar more earth shattering. In the night, the clouds blackened out the sky. The thunder boomed and lighting flickered when the beast roared. As any other predator would do, the giga would've stood down and let it eat due to how big it was. But this was no ordinary predator. The female was a Giganotosaurus Furiosa; not only that, it was a mother. Mother giganotosaurs are probably the most aggressive and most powerful predators on the island. However, this new and Unknown predator could be quite a challenge. From a size comparison, it's basically a Carnotaurus versing a T-Dominium; An entire head taller than the giganotosaurus. The mother lunged at the new predator and bit one of its horns, eventually snapping it in half just because the animal simply stepped forward. The animal wailed for a brief amount of time before snapping shut on her arm and tearing it right off. The female stuttered back an screeched, nearly stepping on one of her own children. The male predator chucked the arm away and bent down. It used its jagged teeth to latch on and start dragging the diplodocus away. In the dark and unsettling night, the giganoto's eyes could've been seen as pure red. While the male was distracted dragging the prey away, the mother ran around and rammed the side of its body, piercing its leg. The beast recovered and stayed low, using his arms as his front legs. The female p*ssed him off. He's now no longer interested in the food now. His goal is to kill the mother giganotosaurus. He rose up, towering over the mother and her children. Once more, he let out one roar, even louder than the last one. The mother roared back. Blood still pouring from where her arm was torn off. The charges at eachother. With its bottom pair of sabre tooth fangs, he would only need one successful strike to kill the mother. Stupidly, the giga went up for its neck, giving the predator the opportunity to push its head to the floor and pin it down. For some unknown reason, it did not do that. Instead it brushed past the movie and sliced the left side of the mother's body with its bladed tail. The female stumbled and tried her best to recover, but the male wasn't done yet. Continuously, it rammed her leg with its long horns on its head and it's thick skull to increase the damage inflicted. He continued bashing her leg until she was pinned to the side of a cliff wall, then he clamped shut on her limb and tore a bit of flesh right now, exposing a bone. The mother wailed in agony, angering her rage to an extreme limit; her eyes getting redder every time she saw or felt her blood trip to the floor. She stared straight into the predators eyes; They were filled with anger. Her children wailed and cried for their mother. Their cries could be heard from miles, attracting other predators around the area. The male beast didn't like the idea of babies calling for help, so he turned around and started moving towards them. Every stride forward, the beast got closer and closer to the children. As it got closer, the babies screeched louder and louder. The two adolescents tried their best to calm them down and protect them, but the large therapod was no match for them. The beast was about to strike, no hope was left for them anymore. The monster opened its mouth wide open, and leant forward to snatch any adolescent or juvenile it could catch. The area grew silent, the only disturbance was the storm happening around them. No cry from a baby juvenile, no loud clap from the beast clamping its mouth shut. Nothing. Not a single noise. Maybe it was because nothing could make a noise. The mother had swung around its tail and straight into the monsters mouth, preventing it from closing. Not only that, but the shear force from the tails swing broke both of its sabre fangs as well as it killed all of the juveniles except the two adolescent siblings. They ran away in fear, never to return. The therapod used all of its strength it could muster to shake the tail around with its jaws and eventually tear it right off as well. Due to lack of blood, the giganotosaurus couldn't do anything else but collapse. It tried to lift itself with its one remaining arm, but that would've been impossible due to its size. The beast slowly pinned the mother to the floor with its strong arms and snarled at it. The female giga couldn't do anything but hope that its two remaining children would remain alive. The therapod above it roared with all its might, then reached down and pierced the mothers neck with his remaining teeth, killing it outright. But for pleasure, he even snapped her neck. A pool of liquid mixed of rain water and blood circled the dead mother and victorious predator. Far in the distance, the battle was seen by two different animals, the first one was one of the two adolescent giganotos. It was the brother out of the two, only older by a few hours. His eyes glowed bright red in anger. When he'll reach adulthood, he'll use all of his strength to come back and kill that beast. The other creature was smaller and slyer than both species, but capable of killing both of them if given the right opportunity. This beast as well as the 6 other members in its pack stood on a cliff edge and watched the entire battle, studying and learning. They communicated with each other with simple clicks, barks, growls and the occasional roars. When they decided that the time was right, the alpha of the pack howled in the storm and the rest of he pack repeated. Then they ran back into the dark forest, where they'll never be seen again...tonight, everything in the jungle knew, that a new apex predator has come to rule the island. The island was now under control of the might satanthosaurus Saevabellum. 

Authors notes: I would class this as a survivor chapter from an animals perspective. Even then I wouldn't call it that. It was also in third person which is a first for this story. I would still call this just a teaser of what's up to come in the future for Chris and his team to deal with. It also gives a little more insight in beast character creation, the Unknown pack on the cliff, the battlescarred satantho and the two adolescent giganotosaurs. Next time you'll see these two siblings, they'll be all grown up. This is mainly just a thank you for all you guys being patient for the new chapter and as well as a note to let you guys know that I'll be on holidays soon and I may or may not be able to finish chapter 7 and post it for you guys due to the possibly of me not having service on my trip. I'll try my best to get it finished. No ETA's are confirmed But anyways, I hope you enjoy this. Kaprodonychus out. ;) 

NOTE: This is a small chapter. My terrible explanation is at the ending of the chapter

Chapter 7: daunting dreams.

The ground was wet. The blizzard was too dark for me to see what type of liquid it was; Acid, blood, saliva, sweat or water. None of it mattered. I couldn't feel any pain besides the aching of the broken legs I dragged behind me. The rain continued to pour down with an everlasting force, washing the mud and rocks over my hands that were grasping for something I could use to pull me forward. I glanced back at my legs. Judging from the giant gaping holes in them, there's no way I'll be walking anytime soon. The veins and arteries in them were black and the black colouring continued to move up my legs. I guess I was poisoned. Further down the hill I could see predators tearing down anything that was still fighting or running. We were ambushed; we were foiled by weird bat looking lizards. I could see Alice and Rose lying on the wet ground. Their pale and bloody expressionless faces started straight at me. Not once did they blink... Nor did they breathe. Ajay was dragged away up a mountain so one of the beasts could enjoy its prize in peace. Marcus was still fighting back with his one and only arm. I couldn't see where his other arm is. I didn't want to see either. Eventually, the brute was eventually overpowered by the pack that took every one of us down. I looked back at my front, trying my best to grab the weaponised staff that was a few metres I front of me. For some unknown reason, I had a feeling that once I grabbed it, I could stand a chance against the beasts. Now I could no longer control my body; now I felt like I was now watching a movie from the first person perspective. My arms continued to reach out in front of me, grasping onto rocks and pulling me forward. I glanced up to see where I was going. The blizzard slowly cleared up and I could take a guess as to where I was heading to. I could see two towers with diamond emblems on them that acted like weird lighthouses of torches. Either they, they looked like the implant I have on my arm. Between the two towers was a large black wall...wait no; they were gates. 'The black gates'; I had no idea why I was here or how I got here. The black gates were huge, possibly the size of three Empire State buildings standing on top of each other. It stood between the ends of giant mountainous mountains just as big. I kept crawling forward. The sound of an object crashing next to me suddenly caught my attention. To my right, Ajay was lying on small sharp rocks, worsening his fall. His face was completely bashed in. His veins were visible and were complete pure black. His bloodshot eyes slowly bled and his chest was dented and crushed. I watched as my friend slowly died while he struggled to speak. He was slowly choking up the words he wanted to say, however not all of them were processed correctly.

"Should've.....flare....now.....dead," he began to cough louder, alerting our presence to every other being that was still alive. I covered his mouth with my hand; unfortunately, he just stared behind me while we were both of the ground and screamed. Eventually, he drowned in his own blood while he screamed. He's dead. Everyone is dead but me. I went flat on my stomach and crawled faster, however something latched onto my leg and roared, no doubt that it was the thing that Ajay was screaming at. My leg began to feel a whole different feeling of pain. It burnt, stun, and my leg was crushed at the same time. The pain surged up my leg and began affecting the rest of my body. I no longer had the strength to even call for help, hell there wasn't anyone that was gonna help me anyways. The pain prevented me from doing anything, even breathing. The beast then started pulling me away by my leg at an incredible speed. I watched the black gates slowly fade away. And the blizzard's fog covered my sight. Soon, the pulling feeling began to feel more of a falling feeling. I was falling down to the ocean now. The fog was now a cloud I passed and the creature pulling me was now gravity, with the wind blowing against me. In my head, I could hear a man counting down from 5 to 1. Every time I got closer to the ocean, the number will decrease.

"5....4....3....2....1"

I hit the ocean surface with a loud bang. My vision darkened and I continued sinking. My body continued sinking to the ocean floor, where everything was completely pitch black.

"Ready or not, here I come."

The strange man’s voice woke me up. Now I was back in the barracks in Ratpine, although something was different...very different.

Blood was smeared all over the walls. The bedsheets were soaked in more blood. Marcus was pinned to the wall with spears. He had a spear in each limp and at least 10 spears piercing his chest and stomach as well as one going through his head. Reiner was separated into tiny little fragments and all of them were placed in different areas of the room. The two people that I saw sleeping in their beds last night were used as a chandelier. Giant metal spikes went right up through their bodies and out of their mouths; the ends containing candles of all sizes. Lurker on the other hand was nowhere to be seen. He probably ran away. The murder scene began to get closer, as if the entire room was moving towards me and my bed. Well, I was partially right, but it was my bed that was moving. It was...levitating. The legs of the bed touched the floor as soon as it reached the middle of the room. I felt a warm, wet hand grasp a hold of my shoulder from behind me. I couldn't look back to see who it was. All I could do was look at the front door, waiting to see what would happen next.

"Found you." The man said as he sunk his small blade into my neck. I screamed in pain and then darkness sweeper over the entire room...

The banging on my chest awoke me from my slumber. I was back in my bed I went to sleep in last night, nothing was out of place; no blood, no pieces of Reiner covering the floor, now human kebab chandeliers and no Marcus dart boards. In fact, no one was here. The only other being in here with me was Chimp; he was the one who woke me.

"Chimp! How are you?" He just stared at me, as if he was a puppet. A bloody vertical line appeared in the middle of his body, the both sides of his body fell into two pieces. Blood began seeping through the walls once more and the room darkened. A man appeared from the shadows holding a knife. The room was too dark for me to see his characteristics.

"Time for you to find me." He smiled and pierced my throat with his knife. Then the scene went dark again.

I rose up out of my soaked bed. Chimp sat in the end of my bed in fright. Chimp! Thank god you're safe! I decided to ignore my dream and leant down to hug him. He placed his left hand on my face to shut me up and pointed at the door with his other hand. I could hear a discussion happening outside, although all the words were jumbled up, making it practically impossible for me to interpret what's going on. Marcus quickly jogged up the stairs outside and ran inside. He was pleased to see me awake and gestured me to get up.

"Get up quickly you hermit. You need to see this." He said in a rush and then he jogged back outside. Luckily for me, getting up 'quickly' wasn't a problem, seen as I went to bed in my uniform. I slowly got out of bed, cringing as the bed creaked while I got up, as if it had termites crawling inside it. Chimp happily jumped up on my right shoulder. He felt uncomfortable at first seen as he usually sits on my left shoulder, which is now occupied by an arrow quiver, but eventually he got used to it. Every step I took, I could feel my skin get prickled by the crusty wounds and skin I didn't wash last night. I'll probably have to clean it later. I finally got outside and covered my eyes from the rising sun. I jogged down the stairs to confront the people surrounding the ground. As I got closer, they looked at me and backed away for me to see. In the group, there was Walsh, Reiner, Marcus, Lurker and the two people that were sleeping in the barracks last night. The male of the two looked like he had a pretty sh*tty night. He had large bags under his eyes and he was slumped over, trying to keep himself warm from the cold, windy morning. The girl tried her best to comfort him, but she too tired to even hug him. They surrounded a dead body of a woman. They covered her face, neck and shoulders with a bag, masking her appearance.

"Chris you were looking for Mrs Longbridge weren't you?" Walsh asked.

"Yes sir. Why do you ask?"

"Well...you found her." He looked down at the floor. Everyone else did the same. I was completely stunned to found her dead. Who would kill her? After what the dresser said while we were getting out gear, I doubt that she'll be a target or a menace to anyone.

"Usually, we would take you in as a suspect but with good evidence from Reiner, we can prove that we're not the killer.

"...how'd she die?" I asked, bowing my head to the floor.

"That's why you're here Mr Shaw," Walsh bent down and took off the bag that covered her face and neck.

"We were hoping that you would know what happened to her." I knelt down to her face neck to have a look at her wounds. Two long, thin chunks of her neck were removed like two thick blades sliced right through. Her stomach was torn up; as if something was eating it for a while.

"Why did you want me to check?" I asked?

"Well from your reports I gathered from Tara, you said you were a palaeontologist. Our last palaeontologist disappeared a few months back so all we have is you now." Walsh answered flicking through a pair of notes.

"Well...you found the right person. She was killed by a black raptor."

"What?!"

"I don't know how it got in here so that part is on you General. But I do that judging from the two junks missing on the side of the neck. Her face is also a blackish purple. Some Spurs from the raptor's tail must've given her something to choke on. As for her stomach, I guess the creature was hungry; however it didn't stay for long. It must've eaten a bit and then decided to run away. That for some reason I can't get my head around why it left." I stood back up and looked over to see the others staring at me. Reiner and Lurker didn't look like they cared one bit, whereas the other 4 were shocked.

"So you're saying that there's a black Raptor on the loose?" Marcus fiddled with his fingers and tried to not look like he was a bit worried.

"I'm not saying that a black raptor is on the loose...I'm saying that there's one in here, hiding in the city." I paused to have a look at Ms Longbridge's implant. It looked like someone pierced it, judging from the cracks and small gaping hole in the middle. The light from the implant died out when she was killed.

"What happened to her implant?"

"That's the thing Shaw. We also think that this has something to do with the murderer." Walsh made sure everyone was still in their homes sleeping before he continued. He spoke once more, but kept his voice at a minimum.

"He must've used the raptor to kill the woman, and then destroyed the implant to make sure she's dead."

"But why?"

"Breaking or severely damaging the implant will kill the human who bears it." It began to make sense now, seen as I was practically paralysed after I stabbed mine with a stick. Good thing it was a stick and not a blade...

"Why kill her though? She's innocent." I said

"I guess she was the only one out at night. After all, she did come to give you back your monkey. Or maybe he was targeting you but the raptor got out of hand?"

"I guess so..."

"We need your help with this Chris. You, Marcus and your Kaprosuchus can work together to track down the murderer."

"How? We don't have any trace or clues as to who killed her." Marcus added.

"You have this," General Walsh began rummaging through one of his pouches and uncovered a black feather with a red tip.

"Hopefully you can use this to at least track down the black raptor with your Kaprosuchus." Already, Lurker stepped forward and started sniffing it like a grey hound. He stepped back and waited for his senses to kick in so he can track down the scent.

"Just let wait until he's ready, I better take this body away before somebody sees it. Abbey, Jack, Reiner; you're on guard duty until these two come back." There were a few groans from the girl that was with us. But Walsh simply gave her a glare and she quickly stopped. By the time Walsh left with the body, Lurker had picked up a scent. He was growling and sniffing while he moved forward towards his target. Hesitatingly, Marcus and I followed him from behind, swords in our hands. Chimp was alert at all times while he sat on my shoulder. We followed Lurker out of Ratpine district and we entered a more compact and busy district; Fisherman's alley, I believe it was called. The district looked like another poor district that had more stores, more people and simply more activity than Ratpine.  As we delve deeper into the district, Lurker seemed more excited that angry like he normally is. He ran faster and even rammed into people rather than moved out of their way to get to his destination. Since he was an extremely fast creature, Marcus and I were working our *sses off to catch up to him. He eventually stopped and tried climbing into a store, which freaked out the majority of the people around the area. I was hoping that he was climbing in to grab the Black raptor, which would explain the reason why there's a huge crowd; but no, I was wrong. Lurker went out of his way to lead us to a butcher shop. He climbed in to grab some fresh meat the butcher was chopping up for his customers. The huge crowd were just a bunch of people waiting in line for the meat they ordered. I grabbed Lurker by the saddle and pulled him out of the store. After getting help from Marcus, Lurker obeyed and finally hopped back down, angering the customers around us while he continued trying to get behind the counter.

"Hey! Get your animal out of here! I waited for an hour for this fish and I don't want your Megalania getting its poisonous saliva all over it!" One of the many angry customers yelled and even picked up and threw a ball of mud at Lurker. Obviously, the man didn't know that it wasn't a Megalania. Lurker immediately turned around and roared at him; turning the busy street we were in into a quiet and dead district. The man dropped his fish and began to quiver in fear.

"K...K..Kapro!" The crowd immediately began to scream and run away, leaving their food and belongings on the muddy floor.

"Great, thanks for scaring away my customers." The bald butcher complained behind the counter and waved his hands at us with an unsatisfied face. For some apparent reason, his voice seemed familiar, as if I met him before.

"I'm terribly sorry about that," That would've been the first time I've ever seen Marcus apologise to someone; it'll probably be the last.

"We're out here to uh-...look for something." Marcus must've realised that he would've caused a panic if he mentioned that we were looking for a black raptor.

"Well look for it somewhere else!" The butcher furiously threw a piece of half sliced piece of ham at us.

"Hey watch out! We're just doing our job!" I yelled as I tried to block myself from the diving piece of ham. Lurker got distracted and ate the ham on the floor. The butcher didn't listen to my commands. Instead, he got down and pulled out a primitive shotgun and pointed it directly at us.

"Woah woah woah put the gun down Sir." Marcus dropped his weapons and raised his hands high in the air.

"We do not need to cause a commotion." As Marcus was saying this, Lurker quietly crawled over the counter while the butcher had his eyes focused on us. He hopped down and landed with a bang; his tail pushed a whole bunch of pans and pots on the floor.

"No no no! Get out of here!" The butcher turned extremely red and put the gun down so he could assess the new situation. Lurker was oblivious to the strong, angry man and kept crawling around and sniffing his surroundings like a hound on the hunt. He paused and sniffed at small cellar entrance at the back left corner of the store. He made a low growl and started scratching at the door. Marcus and I jumped over the counter while the butcher was yelling and having a fit.

"Get away from that!" Stupidly, he grabbed a pan and smacked Lurker behind the eyes with it. Within a flash, the croc hissed and rose over him; mauling the butchers left arm. The man screamed and yelled and tried to pull his arm away, however every time he tugged it away, it got deeper in Lurker's mouth. As he tried to keep his mouth locked shut, the kapro clawed at his arms and shook his arm around. Chimp decided to jump off my shoulder and smack the man’s face with smear it with his own sh*t, jumping and screaming.

"Lurker no!"

Both Marcus and I tried our best to drag him off. Sure we dragged him off, but the butchers arm was a complete mess.

The skin was shredded, the flesh and muscle was torn, and the entire arm itself was somewhat broken.

"Marcus, find someone that knows a doctor!" I yelled over the butchers screams of agony while I held Lurker down.

"Get that thing away from me!" The butcher hissed and cried, pointing with his right hand straight at Lurker.

"He's right let me take him." Marcus reached out with a gentle hand to grab Lurker, however he instantly turned and snapped at him and growled. The beast prowled around me and then walked back over to the cellar door and continued scratching. While I tried to help the bleeding butcher, I felt like I could hear scratching from the other side of the cellar door. As if, something was communicating with Lurker. The scratching sounded faded away once the butcher began to wail and cry in pain.

"Don't touch me!" He screamed. He was shaking too much as well as losing too much blood. If I couldn't cover the wound, he might go into shock as well as bleed to death.

"Let me help you!" I yelled.

"No! I don't want you he-" the wounded man dropped unconscious from the smack behind the head from Chimp, who was wielding a pot. He chucked it aside when I caught him holding it and pulled a cheeky grin.

Now that he wasn't an issue anymore, I could now examine the cellar door. Lurker was growling intensively at the door, trying to claw right through the door. I reached for Lurker's saddle but instead, all I got was a mouthful off teeth. He turned around and roared at me. I stood there, not moving an inch. I waited for him to calm before I slowly stretched my arm out forward. He looked at it with great focus. If I jerked my hand forward, he would step back a bit and snarl, but for most of the time, I was pretty calm with my movement. The beast calmed and allowed me to place my hand above his nostrils. He was calm again. Very gently, I pushed him aside and pressed the side of my face on the door. Lurker allowed me to move him and trotted over to argue with chimp. I couldn't hear anything; only the wind flying past my ear and the ruckus Lurker and Chimp were making. Chimp was jumping up and down on the kitchen bench and was smacking pots together like an instrument while Lurker growled at him continuously.

"Lurker, Chimp; Shut up!" I yelled. The two of them stopped and looked at me. Lurker obeyed but chimp threw a pot at Lurker's head before obeying. He grinned a bit more and jumped on Lurker's head, picking at the small bits of flesh in the Kapro's teeth before eating it himself. I turned around and pressed my face on the door again. Once again, I heard nothing. I tapped on the door twice to see if anything would happen. Two taps came back in response.

"Hello?" I asked "who's there?" No one replied. Instead, the chirping of a Dodo was coming from behind the door. Ok, it wasn't our black raptor, but why is there a lock on the door? I guess that he uses dodo’s for farming eggs and are the closet thing you’ll get for chicken. It makes sense why Lurker ran all the way here; because he was hungry

"Chris, the doc is here." Marcus jumped over the counter bench with a few medics as well as General Walsh. Judging from his grim face, he was not happy.

"What the hell happened in there?" Walsh had both Marcus and I escorted away from the scene and up to a rooftop to speak with us.

"I expected Jack and Abbey to f*ck up like this. I had my one hundred percent trust in you two and you just threw that all away! Give me a reason not to lock you up?"

"Because you need us," Marcus stepped forward and looked at him in the eye.

"We're the only ones beside Rose, Alice and Ajay who know more about these black raptors than anyone else."

"Then why don't I get them to do the job then?" He snapped

"Because you don't want anyone else to know about it," I piped in.

"You're team are all too mummy and touchy about it all that you don't even want your own soldiers to know about it. After all, that's the entire reason why we're here and not continuing on with the trials. So I suggest you let us do our job. Sir."

Damn, I feel like I gonna get the treatment Ajay got when he got too cocky with Alastair. Walsh stepped forward and looked straight at me.

"...you've got one more chance," he sighed and pointed at me.

"If you screw up again, I'm pulling you out. Got that clear?"

"One chance is all we'll need," I grinned. "Now gather around, I have a plan."

Authors notes: too small or nah? I wanted to keep this one short to build on the murder mystery a bit more. So hopefully, chapter 8 will be longer and overall better. There will be more investigation work in the next one, making you think who the murderer really is. Then in the end, the murderer is revealed. So the next chapter is a long chapter.  Also, yes Jack, Walsh and Abbey are still alive....for now. I don't know what to do with them as of now. But they're alive, and I'm coming up with a good idea for their part in the story....then I'll kill them off. *Hint hint* something that starts with 'b' and ends with 'r' *hint hint* but that's later on in the story.

Archived