Lighting and base building

Nova1227

Hey guys new to the forums and a new player.  Just got started on ARK and I'm learning the basics of building.  I've been running into a weird lighting issue with my base and I'm not sure if its a bug or a construction issue.  I built a stone rectangular house and have a campfire, fireplace, and refining forges inside that i run at night (gametime) after the day tasks are done.  I'm noticing that I'm giving off a LOT of light that is visible from the outside even though my door is closed and i have no windows, also none of my forges/campfires are clipping.  I want to remain concealed as I've got a tiny tribe on a pvp server and we are kind of roleplaying the survivalist playstyle.  Is this a lighting bug with ARK or is there a strategy with my building that i can try to block giving off all the light?  Any info greatly appreciated.  Thanks.

9 minutes ago, sal said:

light is not obstructed by buildings at all. If you want to be stealth dont light a fire/light at night, it can be seen from far....

the light projection is not, but if you have walls outside of the lit area, the walls will block the light from being seen from outside. Thats the important part if you want stealth with light. 

You cannot block light in the lit area, in that area, every objects will be lit up, but you can obstruct view toward the lit area if you block it with a wall that is outside.

11 minutes ago, Jey123456 said:

the light projection is not, but if you have walls outside of the lit area, the walls will block the light from being seen from outside. Thats the important part if you want stealth with light. 

You cannot block light in the lit area, in that area, every objects will be lit up, but you can obstruct view toward the lit area if you block it with a wall that is outside.

yeah but add the fact that the walls will randomly render in after your light source and you see the problem =).

Sometimes when i approach my base i see single light sources from extremly far away befor anything else renders in.

Its the same problem why you cannot hide anything inside your structures. The interior will render in before the outer walls =(

Just now, sal said:

yeah but add the fact that the walls will randomly render in after your light source and you see the problem =).

Sometimes when i approach my base i see single light sources from extremly far away befor anything else renders in.

Its the same problem why you cannot hide anything inside your structures. The interior will render in before the outer walls =(

obviously but thats a separate issue altogether :P  and is unrelated to the fact that lights shine through objects. 

Fully hiding a base is plain simply impossible, if someone decide to search for it, they will eventually find it, by setting view range to low and flying around. 

9 minutes ago, Jey123456 said:

Fully hiding a base is plain simply impossible, if someone decide to search for it, they will eventually find it, by setting view range to low and flying around. 

If i am searching for small raid buildings i put a foundation in my quick bar, fly the quetz right over the ground and select the foundation. The moment you get enemy foundation too close error you know you found something =)

With this method i found several foundation+bed "things" chinese raiders placed.

Just now, sal said:

If i am searching for small raid buildings i put a foundation in my quick bar, fly the quetz right over the ground and select the foundation. The moment you get enemy foundation too close error you know you found something =)

With this method i found several foundation+bed "things" chinese raiders placed.

thats a pretty brilliant method, i shall use it next time im doing a sweep to find troll raiders (usually chinese) 

28 minutes ago, sal said:

Exactly, it's just such great programming by the devs! 

Archived