Keep server transfers, but implement ORP across official servers

BillyA

I have no problem with server transfers, that is until im wiped between 12am-6am PST. I've had a few people make runs at me while im on, and i usually pick them and kill their creatures.

If players were forced to actually PVP (not PV Offline), raiding and server transfers would have a better meaning.

I don't care if a tribe transfers 10 Giga's, they'll have to keep them protected until the tribe they want to raid are on to defend themselves...and even 12 hours after.

We need to make this game about PVP again, this offline raiding by transfers is getting old.

This way we still have the possibilities of trading with the transfer function, but don't have to worry about the war machine wiping your base as you sleep. I love raiding, hell, i love fighting off a raid...but we either need to eliminate the transfers...or add ORP. You can add turrets until your eyes bleed, and any established tribe will get through that.

While offline raiding is extremely unfair and a stupid way to "pvp" there's still the issue of people on different timezones and the idea of ORP in general.  What if tribes are from different timezones, do they just never get to PVP unless they are on the same timezones as the rest of the server?  Better yet (and I don't play ORP so maybe someone who does can tell me a counter/balance for this) but what if a tribe is hardly ever on but when they are on they just farm explosives and there is nothing you can do because they only log on to farm when you're offline.  While people can freely farm on other servers this problem will still exist on individual ORP servers themselves, there's a myriad of problems with ORP that I don't see helping server transfers, especially when the majority of the complaints seem to be about "super tribes" more than anything.

I actually think orp across all official servers wouldn't be bad. You want to raid people in a different time zone, then stay up. As you probably wouldn't have much contact I don't think they would be bothering you. You want to raid them then plan for the timezone.

It would make PvP more like PvP.

A downside though is players could spam foundations and do that on a separate account, not being able to destroy them. Or build sperate account shells. Like a ally building a giant metal wall around your base, they ally being a separate account.

I like the idea of ORP across all officials. I think it would promote PvP, however ORP in its current form would allow smart tribes with separate accounts a clear advantage.

I would prefer this, now granted, there is definitely some downsides. One thing I would implement is instead of 15 minutes til protection (which would be abused) if they log off, make it 30 min or 60 min til protection kicks in. That way it cannot be abused and people can safely work as normal people should and get full nights of sleep.

14 minutes ago, bulldog1986 said:

I would prefer this, now granted, there is definitely some downsides. One thing I would implement is instead of 15 minutes til protection (which would be abused) if they log off, make it 30 min or 60 min til protection kicks in. That way it cannot be abused and people can safely work as normal people should and get full nights of sleep.

I agree, 1 hour is more than enough time to finish the job if a player logs off. Of course there are super base sthat can take 4-5 hours, but thats few and far between.

10 minutes ago, BillyA said:

I agree, 1 hour is more than enough time to finish the job if a player logs off. Of course there are super base sthat can take 4-5 hours, but thats few and far between.

Yea even 30 min is good, I just want something that is going to prevent people from looking at a foe and going "Eh, I don't wanna fight today, lets log off really quick, watch on battlemetrics til they leave, then hit them when we feel like it"

53 minutes ago, CriD said:

A downside though is players could spam foundations and do that on a separate account, not being able to destroy them. Or build sperate account shells. Like a ally building a giant metal wall around your base, they ally being a separate account.

This is another huge problem for ORP that I didn't consider.  Would definitely be abused.

12 minutes ago, BillyA said:

Hard to say that's few and far between with 2x being the standard now and scoop mining still in the game.

ORP is broken. Far too many things need to be fixed on it before we ever make it the standard. 

Did you know that when a tribe is offline none of their turrets work, so you can scout their base freely. Their Dino's don't Agro so you can set traps. 

On the flip side they can leave everything open and you can't access a box or smithy even if it's left unlocked. You could build an outdoor base with no defense and never lose a thing if you play on the right server at the right time. Plus very little pvp happens on an ORP server, played on many and either it's basically pve with the occasional troll, or when pvp finally happens people just log and you never can get into their stuff.

orp isn't the answer, not in its current condition, so we either need to come up with more clever ways to put restrictions on pvp while making it fun or totally change ORP to make it balanced, fair and fun.

33 minutes ago, TheRealTFreezy said:

ORP is broken. Far too many things need to be fixed on it before we ever make it the standard. 

Did you know that when a tribe is offline none of their turrets work, so you can scout their base freely. Their Dino's don't Agro so you can set traps. 

On the flip side they can leave everything open and you can't access a box or smithy even if it's left unlocked. You could build an outdoor base with no defense and never lose a thing if you play on the right server at the right time. Plus very little pvp happens on an ORP server, played on many and either it's basically pve with the occasional troll, or when pvp finally happens people just log and you never can get into their stuff.

orp isn't the answer, not in its current condition, so we either need to come up with more clever ways to put restrictions on pvp while making it fun or totally change ORP to make it balanced, fair and fun.

Enable ORP and enable active base defense. 

4 hours ago, BillyA said:

Enable ORP and enable active base defense. 

But if you just read through all my post as well as many others on this thread you'll see, that is only one of many broken aspects of ORP. As a community we need to be more clever when coming up with fixes, this game is in active alpha/beta so that we can contribute not just copy and paste dev ideas.

10 hours ago, BillyA said:

I have no problem with server transfers, that is until im wiped between 12am-6am PST. I've had a few people make runs at me while im on, and i usually pick them and kill their creatures.

If players were forced to actually PVP (not PV Offline), raiding and server transfers would have a better meaning.

I don't care if a tribe transfers 10 Giga's, they'll have to keep them protected until the tribe they want to raid are on to defend themselves...and even 12 hours after.

We need to make this game about PVP again, this offline raiding by transfers is getting old.

This way we still have the possibilities of trading with the transfer function, but don't have to worry about the war machine wiping your base as you sleep. I love raiding, hell, i love fighting off a raid...but we either need to eliminate the transfers...or add ORP. You can add turrets until your eyes bleed, and any established tribe will get through that.

Man you made a great point!! I don't even get how people brag about raiding offline, that's just so weak. But luckily I play enough tonever get caught sleeping

Yer official ORP is so broken last time I saw it, but if you guys have seen unofficial ORP at the moment thats nice just have a 30min timer for orp to turn on after a tribe completely logs off and turn structure HP to 3x mean you can get offline and for the best part its easier but the cost is also a lot higher so players then need to decided whether is better to attack with on a few players online and save tons of explosives or offline them. Its a bit sad to see the devs even copy a mod well. The only other thing the mod needs to do is make it impossible to build allied ORP in another orp and make orp go offline if an ally is near by although they may have fixed this!

And i dont think anyone has a problems with small to medium groups of players transferring and raiding, people have an issue is 60-100 man tribes zerging tribes that often ddos the server then fill it so you cant even defend. Anyone on that has a issue with 5-20 players invading probs should not be playing official pvp.

Now that i think about it I would not be surprised if they make the tek teir shield thing a little bit like ORP with any luck!

I would happily go to and play on an Offline Raid Protection (ORP) with the restrictions that are currently in place (IE no alliance/no PINs/turrets not shooting when in effect) if it means I have the opportunity to defend myself. I've been in medium and one person tribes and everytime we got wiped when offline. This is supposed to be PvP not PvW (Player vs Wall). Alpha tribes are too reliant on bullet sponge turrets and attacking offline. No tactics, no danger, no ingenuity. This facet is a god send. This solves a great deal of troubles. 

1: Mid flight disconnect or server crash/update, if you can't reconnect immediately your animal and maybe yourself will be safe until you rejoin

2: With Cross Ark Transfer everyone is paranoid (blocking drops, sealing obelisks) with this in place that risk of offline destruction is null and should alleviate that reaction

3: Small tribes fearful of being insided or just wanting to "do their own thing" will have some measure of protection while they sleep or work

-While this does mean smaller tribes can duck offline to protect themselves, like gophers, it only means aggressive tribes need to be more organized and tactful to attack them.

-Better to hinder the bully than the victim

-Most that wish for this often want the chance to defend, so while some will duck offline most will likely stay and fight since they want to protect what they have and enjoy the PvP struggle

4: Will encourage the PvP aspect of the game once again rather than having Alpha tribes cower until the victim goes offline

Overall it allows people to play and not HAVE to stress over offline raids. We only want a fair shot at defending.

Please give some ORP Official servers consoles.

And another great example of abuse. Once, when we were on an unofficial that had ORP, there was a tribe that decided to conduct a massive raid against another tribe we were allied with and before they began the raid, they had an alt tribe build a massive turret box and then log off at the entrance to the underworld so that if they tried to fly out of flyer entrance, their birds would get annihilated before they knew what was happening and there would be nothing they could do about it. After that, and seeing how the game is, I'd rather the focus be on building a good community (tribe) to play with that allows you to grow and have coverage around the clock. It keeps gameplay options open and encourages people playing together and building incredible communities that work together across servers.

I thought they disabled turrets firing while in ORP to prevent bullet sponges and events like this.

On 1/1/2017 at 2:15 AM, Kahlinad said:

And another great example of abuse. Once, when we were on an unofficial that had ORP, there was a tribe that decided to conduct a massive raid against another tribe we were allied with and before they began the raid, they had an alt tribe build a massive turret box and then log off at the entrance to the underworld so that if they tried to fly out of flyer entrance, their birds would get annihilated before they knew what was happening and there would be nothing they could do about it. After that, and seeing how the game is, I'd rather the focus be on building a good community (tribe) to play with that allows you to grow and have coverage around the clock. It keeps gameplay options open and encourages people playing together and building incredible communities that work together across servers.

Archived