[PC]SalaS [NA][PvE][Clustered Center / Scorched][2xXP, 2.5xG, 3xTame/Br]

mndfreeze

Greetings!

The SalaS PvE tribe cluster has moved!  

Due to issues with our host and problems that never seemed to get resolved, we have switched providers over to LogicServers.  Ping times have massively improved and sever performance is top notch.  This is the company that does all the Ark server hosting for the Pooping Evolved folks (sl1pg8r, DraxLP, Zueljin, etc)

All of the save and player data has been moved over.  We still have 2 servers each with 30 slots running The Center and Scorched Earth.  Our rates have been adjusted a bit to keep things at a slower, more PvE pace, but still faster then official. :D   The rates are as follows:

• 2x Experience
  • 2.5x Harvest/Gathering
  • 3x Taming and Breeding
  • 3.5 Egg incubation and maturation
  • 1.5x larger platform structure limits.
  • Difficulty *7* (max wild dino level 210) on BOTH servers
  • Crosshairs, Hit Markers, RPG number damage numbers, Gamma change, map pin enabled and quite a few other quality of life things are enabled. 

Both servers are clustered together with full transfers of items, dinos, allowed both ways.  Outside transfers from other servers are disabled to prevent cheating.

We have added mods to the server. We are always up to suggestions on new mods to make everyone's experience more entertaining. Mods are as follows:

• Death Helper
  • Builders Helmet
  • OCD Stackable storage
  • Snappy Saddles
  • Structures Plus
  • Castles, Keeps and Forts Architecture

As always, we are always up for player suggestions for things you would like to see on the server, mods you think people will like, etc.  

The Center Server Info:

Name:  SalaS-Center [PvE]

Connection:  216.52.25.52:27045

Query Info:   216.52.25.52:27046

steam://connect/216.52.25.52:27046

Name:  SalaS-Scorched [PvE]

Connection:  216.52.25.53:27045

Query Info:   216.52.25.53:27046

steam://connect/216.52.25.53:27046

If you have any questions or comments/suggestions feel free to reach out to me or my co-admin Griff directly or via this thread.  You can also find me on steam with the same username as I have here.  The MOTD join message has further contact information as well.  Come check us out if you are looking for a new PvE experience, are learning the game, or are just sick of officials.  We are a laid back friendly bunch and I hope to see you there!

mndfreeze

Looking to start a discussion with the players on the server on which mods would be preferred, if any.  Currently we run NO mods.  A few people have recommended death helper and pet finder.  Those two seem like A-OK additions to me since they are just quality of life stuff anyways and should have minimal impact on performance or stability.

If you are a player already on the server, or are planning to be and would like to see specific mods, please list them here.  Keep in mind the server is PvE, but rates are kept low to be semi close to official so any mods that basically bypass gameplay for instant-win stuff, like instant taming food, or single use 1245892402u24 torpor narcotics, etc are not really what we are looking for on the server.  

I was looking for a good unnofficial PVE server with no high rates. Not many out there.. Tried some but always something (not balanced settings, unhealthy ecosystem, respawn issues, griefing...).

Finally like three months ago I noticed about SalaS server in reddit forums. Tried it and just good things to say.. No insane rates. Great settings overall. No lag. No crashes. Active administrators and a very nice and helpful community.

Was playing Scorched Earth and now we can travel back and forth to The Center map aswell. So if youre looking for a good server to play. I highly recommend this one.

My Steam ID is Athor and my character in-game is Aiksha. Cya in Ark

Some mods that have been brought up to me in game or via steam chat: 

Death Helper

Pet Finder

Structures+

Stackable foundations

Castles, Keeps, and Forts Architecture (fully changeable materials, No collision restrictions on placement).

Please let me know if you want, or do not want, any of these, or if there are additional mods you would like to have considered.

I'm interested in the following mods.

Any stack mod that increases the stack size but does not reduce weight.  Not looking to be able to carry more but would be nice to be able to store more in chests/inventory.

Construction Helmet (allows you to pick up any placed item without destroying it)

Simple Fences

Stairs Mod

Structures Plus

Pillars Plus

I don't have any issues with the suggestions above except for Pet Finder.  Isn't that what transponders are for?  

Alright, so since no one really gave any feedback on mods except Griff, I'm going to go ahead and list the stuff I *think* we will start out with barring no issues.  I think its best we start slow and simple, with minimal risk.  Going to mostly avoid the big mods that have LOTS of changes or severely alter the game with tons of new building parts like structures+ and the castle mod for now, and later on after we ensure stability with the simplier ones we can try those out.  Here is what I'm looking at currently.  I've included links to each ones steam store page.  Feedback on these choices would be appreciated, especially if anyone thinks a particular mod may cause trouble, system related or player related or via abuse.

• Death Helper

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=566885854&searchtext=death+helper

• Builders Helmet

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=756389708&searchtext=

• Pillars Plus

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=708807240&searchtext=

Not sure if pillars plus will work right or not.  There are quite a few comments on the mod that after a patch about 2 weeks ago their server crashes non stop.  If we can get it to work, great, if not, welll....

As for stacking mods:

I've been looking through stacking mods but they all seem pretty volatile.  It seems if you try to add in stacking mods on a currently running game (vs a brand new start or wipe) then people will have to relearn engrams and any of them that add special items in addition (like stacking smithys for example) have to rebuild your stuff, etc.

The other issue I'm finding is that because the dev kit has not released yet for scorched earth, the stacking mods wont work on any items from it.  This might cause some whacky problems since our servers are clustered and run as seperate servers, but actually share the same config and run files.  Any mods installed HAVE to be able to run on both the same.

I have found some mods that are just better storage options.  It might be easier just to implement chests that hold more for example, then altering the core games stacking mechanic.

These are the mods i'm interested in. Mainly more for aesthetics and quality of life. 

• Stuctures Plus 

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=731604991

• Platforms Plus

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=719928795

• Echo's OCD Stacking Storage v 2.1

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=757669231

• Snappy Saddles

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=725398419

Also pretty much the ones Mnd and Griff have already stated. 

Death helper and Builders Helmet are now installed and running smoothly (so far).

Next server reboot I'll take a look at another mod or two to add in.  I try to do reboots when no players are on, or at least barely anyone is on so it has minimal impact, so expect it to take place in the early morning hours before dawn PST. Usually....

Still would love to hear from some of the other players on the server.  It's not like we don't have players who have opinions about mods!  So spit em out!

19 hours ago, Antid0te said:

These are the mods i'm interested in. Mainly more for aesthetics and quality of life. 

• Stuctures Plus 

• Platforms Plus

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=719928795

• Echo's OCD Stacking Storage v 2.1

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=757669231

• Snappy Saddles

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=725398419

I actually was looking at all of these earlier and really like em.  The stacking storage thing really appeals to me, just wish they had one that had more slots per box or was configurable.  I love how you can stack them and stuff though.  Snappy saddles also looks really awesome, just concerned with some of the bug reports I've read about it.  I'm reaaaaallllllyyy scaared of something serious happening and us losing our saves or our world getting corrupted.  Thats why I'm going with low impact mods first and we are taking baby steps.

Echo's OCD Stacking Storage v 2.1 is now also installed.

For all of the mods, there are engrams associated you have to learn to be able to use their functionality.  All are found at the very end of the engram list.  They are either free or very cheap point wise.

For the builders hat you actually have to wear it.  Once worn it will highlight the structure piece you are looking at, and you press O to pick it up.  Items contained inside it will fall to a bag on the ground if you dont empty it first.  

Death helper lets you craft 2 things.  One you use to help you find your body, and can also be used to bring your death bag up from under the ground if it falls under, the other is a poison potion to commit suicide if you get stuck.

Echos OCD stacking storage lets you make 3 different sized crates, a 15 item small, 30 item medium and 45 large.  They snap to foundations and can be stack on top of each other.  They also can be picked up (without the builder helmet), and have built in labels and can be locked, pin coded, etc.

The main mods I am looking for are already installed, Builder's Helmet & some better storage options.

Some nice to haves would be : 

Ideas for mods after next wipe.

Again after after a wipe,  The first mod by itself is not that hard, it's the second one which spawns bases.  In my experience on single player the bases spawn in any area where you spend much time such as around your base or when you have a long tame.

I can't see this type of setup running for more then 30-60 days before it gets old.

If there is interest for the mods after a wipe, I can look at other servers that have used those mods to see what other mods be useful.

Thank you again mndfreeze & Griff for all you do to keep the server running smoothly.

Snappy saddles is now installed.  The pre-reqs to make the snapon are the platform saddle you are looking to build, so if you want the snappable paracer platform engram you have to learn the base paracer saddle, then the paracer platform saddle, then the extension snappable part of 0 points to learn, but not free to craft.  You do NOT have to line it up perfect, just place it on there and it will snap itself correctly onto the platform saddle.  It gives you a ring extension that you can snap pieces to without foundations.  

Just a bit of an update on other server news, I will be out of town this friday the 30th until sunday evening the 2nd.  Griff has all the access he needs to fix any major catastrophes so make sure you ping him if something crashes or you need admin assistance.  I won't even have cell service so messaging me on steam won't do you any good as I wont get it until I come back into town anyway.

Structures Plus is now installed!  You can find the mod to subscribe to it here:

As well as information about it, what it does, etc.  It has a TON of options and buildables to replace in game ones.  I think a lot of people will like this once they play around with it.  This mod is made by the same author as snappy saddles.

If anyone has any questions, or more mod suggestions please post em here so I can take a look at them.

It looks like tonights mini patch has finally made it possible for us to override the default difficulty settings for each map so they will be universal across the cluster.

Current Version: v247.95
* Significant server-side performance improvements of approximately 10% on average.Requires Server Update.
* Servers can now override their difficulty above 4.0, using "?OverrideOfficialDifficulty=5.0" or whatever number they want. Be careful not to go too high!

We will definitely be setting it to AT LEAST 5 (which is The Centers default) so scorched will also become 5, but I might experiment with going a bit higher unless people object.  Anyone up for some level 200 goodness or more? :D

Looks like due to the way our server host has its control panel setup for clustering, I cannot change the difficulty with that command.  I did contact them about it and had them look into it and they are planning on updating their control panel to have the new features added in.  I've asked if they will add in the command to their backend scripts for me if I put in a support ticket, but no response yet.  So hopefully soonish we will be able to override the difficulty for our server.  I'm looking at either going to 6 (max level 180 for wild dinos') or perhaps 7 (max level 210)

For those that don't know, difficulty is determined by 2 numbers.  A number you define in the config file called DifficultyOffset.  This can vary from 0 to 1.  1 is "max difficulty" for a server, which is what we are set to.

Then, each map has a difficulty assigned to it.  The Center is hard coded at 5, and the Island and scorched are hard coded at 4.  If you take a maps difficulty and times it by 30 thats how you determine the max level for a specific map.  5x30 = 150.  4x30= 120.  This new overrideofficialdifficulty command lets me change the hard coded map number instead of just the offset (which is already maxed), but we need the host to do it. :(

• 4 weeks later...

I will most likely be removing the builders hat mod soon now that structures+ has the demo/pickup gun that does the same thing.   The less mods we have in total, the less chance we have of them updating at odd times and causing mod mismatch errors for you guys who auto-updated via steam, but the server has not yet.

Still open to suggestions if people have more things they would like to see.

Also, XP and harvest has been raised to 2X to be the same as official is during the event weekends, but will not drop back down. Change is perm for us.  I also sped up the rate eggs drop by a tiny bit, and gave a bigger grace period for missing baby cuddles before penalized.  Finally I slowed down how often babies need to eat. (by a bit, as usual).

I've been dropping skeleton dinos randomly around the map for players to find in order to aquire the skins since we don't get them on the center normally.  Near the end of the event if anyone would like a specific skin, mask, etc just let me know and I'll spawn them in for you.  

Some videos were released on making a trap for the dodowyvern which does spawn on our scorched server.  So if anyone wants to take a shot at it, I think it's doable by just a few people.

Archived