DLC Criticism

Wooks

12 hours ago, ranger1presents said:

Yes, they will fail just like other game developers that do or have released premium, optional during the development cycle have failed.  Games like War Thunder, World of Tanks, World of Warships, and Armored Warfare to name a few that I have personally purchased premium items from while they were in development.

Oh wait, those games are all hugely successful, and tend to charge far more than $20 for far less content.  Sorry, bad example.

Thin argument when all the titles you have mentioned are free to play and the premium items you mentioned are micro transactions, if they had charged for the game then charged you for premium tanks/ships etc i could see it 

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, LokiTDD said:

Thin argument when all the titles you have mentioned are free to play and the premium items you mentioned are micro transactions, if they had charged for the game then charged you for premium tanks/ships etc i could see it 

To be able to play during the development phase (closed beta in some cases, Early Access in others) of most of those titles you had to buy your way into them by purchasing a "founders pack" or something similar, unless you were lucky and were one of the few "random" applicants accepted.  The further along in development they got, the more people were accepted without having to buy their way in... then eventually they open the game up as an open beta, then finally release.

Interesting you draw the distinction with micro transactions (which is still premium content you purchase, just like this DLC expansion).  Especially when you consider that with any of those companies listed $20 MIGHT buy you a single very low level vehicle (Usually not, normally you need to spend between $30 and $70 to get anything worthwhile) compared to $20 for a full expansion.  

I'm to the point now where I am often offered a press account during closed beta or EA, but I usually purchase an additional normal account so that I can get a feel for the progression system in a game (press accounts usually give you everything in the game up front).

On 9/2/2016 at 7:11 AM, Wooks said:

I used to be a very big Ark supporter, I even recommended it to many of my friends.
But now i regret this...

In my opinion the release of this DLC is a shame, especially when you're watching the game itself and the updates it had in the last few months and how rare they where released. I think this low density of new updates is caused by the development of the DLC. But this isn't even where the disappointment begins ...

I think where this release is becoming a punch in the faces of all players is with the price,
I mean Ark is one of the most successful Early Access games ever and it is legitimate to make some money out of the hard work that was and is stil put into this game, but 20€ is way to much especially when comparing the price of the main-game to the DLC's. Imagine if the DLC was 5€ or even 10€, the WHOLE community would be surprised and very excited to discover this new map, the new mechanics and all the new Creatures. But with this price the community is split up and many people quit the game as they are very Disappointed.

If someone of the Developers reads this, please don't treat this as irrational flame. I really love ARK and when watching the trailer of the DLC I was very excited. In my opinion it's a very great idea to switch the setting of such a great Game and create new possibilities. But with this DLC and it's price you kind of insult the players that trusted you and paid for content that isn't developed yet, just to see the development of an expensive DLC being more important than the development of the content they've already paid for.

With friendly regards,

Wooks

actually wrong u paid 30 bucks or whatever on the original purchase for what was in the game already not for anything new as it was a pre release/development stage still.. with regards everyone was warned the game may never make it to the final release.. the new content before the dlc was free .. then they did dlc and want 19.99 for that content which includes over 100 new items and a new world and u want to say its a slap in the face? oh and it included a new mode.. you want to cry more? then dont play the game and dont buy the dlc..

Archived