Please Increase Map Waypoint Limit

wayo

Suggestion

It would be great if the map waypoint limit could be increased.  Currently it's capped at 16, and just as an example if we look at points of interest on The Island alone there are 10 Artifact Caves, 12 Pearl Caves, 3 Obs, 16 Deep Sea loot crates, if players want to put their bases or resource gathering spots, scouted enemies or whatever the limit certainly could benefit from an increase. 

• Like 2

12 replies to this server topic

The new waypoint system in ARK: Survival Ascended is significantly better than in ASE. It really makes me want to use the waypoints, and I have been. As an accessibility feature they're incredible. Due to medical reasons I have a hard time with my memory, and remembering things. Especially when it comes to the location of things on a map as big as The Island. 

So being able to set waypoints that are actually easy to see and use has been a huge help for me in remembering things like cave entrances I have found, metal deposits, explorer notes to come back and pick up later, etc. And there is this great new system that incentivises players to use it - but then you just get slapped with a big old "no" once you have 16 waypoints? For maps as large as ARKs, only having 16 waypoints seems strange and just artificially limiting.

I of course don't know how they are created behind the scenes - but the only performance impact I can feasibly think of is when saving/loading them to/from the disk. I don't believe they are server-side at all, as they don't have a reason to be. So it's not like they need to be limited to decrease server operations. Even if they are, that's surely a limitation that could be lifted in single player.

Purely from an accessibility standpoint being able to have more than 16 waypoints would be incredibly helpful. It's actually decreased my motivation to play a lot now because I know I will forget things, and that proves to be very frustrating. Even 32 would be significantly more useful, but I really really do suggest allowing more than that. I can't see a good reason why there should be a limit at all - however maybe there is some reason behind the scenes. I really think that ~50 would be ideal, if there has to be a limit at all. 

1 minute ago, yarnevk said:

Maybe they can make it so 16 3d waypoints, but unlimited on the 2D map?  I suspect that is why for performance reasons to avoid 3d clutter.

Exactly, I agree entirely. I feel like the only reason they'd limit it is to stop you from having too many waypoints visible in-game at a time. But I do think a much better solution would be to instead limit the number of waypoints that can be visible at once, and allow unlimited 2D waypoints.

15 hours ago, Vallith said:

Exactly, I agree entirely. I feel like the only reason they'd limit it is to stop you from having too many waypoints visible in-game at a time. But I do think a much better solution would be to instead limit the number of waypoints that can be visible at once, and allow unlimited 2D waypoints.

I guess there is the warmap, can it be drawn on?  Got one in a white drop.  Then add a waypoint in the approx location when you go on a farming trip.

If this is already a problem on the Island, arguably the smallest (besides Scorched, which feels like a litterbox in comparison.) Map in the game, then imagine how bad this is going to be on Ragnarok, maps like Valguero that have multiple layers in major cave systems and the underground ocean, the insanely zoomed out and complex maps for Fjordur and Lost Island too that skimped on detail for the sake of showing the general biomes, points of interest and elevation.

I know they're going to try to improve the maps for each of them most likely but still, this is only The Island. The others besides Scorched will be much more full of things to mark, layers of underground areas, entrances to things etc. In the meantime, if you want to mark something for later, and or for if they increase the limit on markers, you can use Banners and Flags to place in the world, and paint them bright colors and/or symbols that tell you there's something there even if the map can't do it for you.

7 hours ago, SMB01 said:

I also look in the GUS ini and couldnt fin the line. Would you be able to copy paste the line here please ?

I don't think it's a setting you can change, SlayerQc is talking about how the waypoints themselves are saved in the INI, and you can add more manually in there.
How I would do this is add the waypoints I wanted, then go into the INI, copy the waypoints from within there to another text file. Then in-game, delete the waypoints that you just saved and add your new ones. Then you can paste the old ones back in to get over the 16 limit. This is still frustrating to do however because it probably requires a restart between times that you edit the INI, and I imagine that if you don't fill up the cap to 16 - any of the old ones you add will count towards that new cap. Meaning that you need to know exactly how many new waypoints you want to add when you do this.

The problem I think is because Dino tracking is part of the waypoint system, meaning the game doesn’t distinguish between the two. So while physical map POIs can most certainly be saved client side, Dino waypoints cannot. If you had a tribe mate like many of us do that doesn’t put things back where they belong and your Dino isn’t where your save file last saved it, you could have problems seeing that Dino maybe or maybe I just made this all up, but it sounds like it makes sense. I just had an error on my screen saying that I reached maximum waypoint count, but I don’t use the waypoint system via the map because it’s broken for me. There’s no key options. So I checked my Dino tracker on a whim and somehow a bunch of Dinos were being tracked. Selected untrack all and my error message went away. *shrugs*