Sunken Scoop 7: Shrimps, Sloths and (more) Stuff!

ashgcy

unknown.png?ex=654b0280&is=65388d80&hm=c

Welcome back sunken survivors!

Another two weeks, another scoop! Time to share what we've been working on over the past two weeks, the new and improved Tyrant Shrimp and Thalassocnus designs! Also, while it's not our news, we hope you're all excited just as excited as us for some ASA reveals in about 4 hours from now! We'll rehash our plans for ASA again too in case you missed them two weeks ago!

If this is your first time diving into the deep end, we are a dedicated team of individuals who are looking to spruce up the ocean biome in the same way that Scorched Earth offered a unique, biome specific challenge to survival. New creatures, resources, structures, items and more, all set on a huge custom map, we're looking to give ARK's oceans the TLC they deserve! The main goal is to bridge that huge gap between early and late game ocean exploration, and make it much more viable and more fun to live a life beneath the waves! This is unofficial content and is only related to our mod. It is in no way related with the official game and its content releases. 

Let's dive into the scoop!

TYRANT SHRIMP CONCEPTSunken_Tyrant_Shrimp.png?ex=654b7d1b&is=

You mean to tell me a shrimp tied this rant? Here's Tyrant Shrimp, but what's up with ZCI making two designs? To be clear, we're definitely going with V1 as the final design, but as is the case with a lot of these scoops, we love giving you a behind the scenes look! We really want to show off what goes on behind the curtain, so you can all get a good idea of what goes into our creature design process. Having said that, what does this fantasy crustacean do?

Tyrant Shrimp is a hot-shelled gunslinging arthropod! While it may be somewhat diminuitive in size next to our oceanic giants, don't underestimate its fiery temper! You'll be able to shoot superheated bubbles from its giant claws, and if you provide it some minerals as ammunition, it'll seriously increase its firepower! Also, as mentioned last week, the Tyrant Shrimp has a symbiotic relationship with the mighty Magma Turtle! The massive shelled fortress has some seriously powerful gunmen protecting its walls!

THALASSOCNUS CONCEPTimage.png?ex=654b7bdb&is=653906db&hm=33d

Sid's gone for a swim! Introducing the new and improved Thalassocnus! The big sloth was long overdue a facelift, courtesy of WaterWitch, the old artwork we had (made by me, ashgcy) just recently hit 3 years old! It should be said though, we don't just rework art because of age. When creatures are redesigned, it's because we feel that they either weren't distinct enough from their vanilla "counterparts" or they needed something more to really help them fit into their roles on the map. Thalassocnus is now sexually dimorphic, with males and females mimicking the look of elephant seals, and also got some long overdue fancy dress... 

image-1.png?ex=6543bd4b&is=6531484b&hm=b

This living crop plot has some style! Plus it's not just form over function too, certain organic "outfits" will provide bonuses to your sloth! A punk-rock Somniweed hairdo will give your sloth a real KO punch! A coat of Celerweed will provide some near unlimited running endurance! And should you go toe-to-toe with a Thalassocnus sporting Sea Urchin brass knuckles... let's just say I'm betting my money on Sid.

ASA REHASH

Quick rehash on what's planned when ASA drops! If you missed them last time, and want the full details, go here. 

What are our plans?

1. We're coming to ASA! (most likely)
  2. We'll release the creature mod first, map mod later
  3. We're going to push one last update to the ASE mod
    • after said update, we'll only be doing bug fixes for ASE

We're very excited to get our hands on the kit, and can't wait to see you all in UE5! 

COMMUNITY CORNER

Scoop? Sunken. Corner? Communitied! Here's some more stuff from all you wonderful supporters of the mod! Feel free to submit something yourself! Anything from screenshots, artwork, videos and the so on, and we can featured your work in the next scoop! There's a submissions channel in our discord, or you can tag us @ARKSunken with #sunkenscoop on Twitter!

Clips and Videos

Creator: Freyn

A familiar face known for his highly informative creature vote videos (seriously, go check those out), Freyn is breaking into the ocean theme just as much as we are. Here's his Top 10 ways to improve the ocean in ARK! You may even see some shots of a very recogniseable, up-and-coming mod map!

That's all for this issue of the Sunken Scoop, thanks for tuning in! We can't wait to see the reveals in store for ASA (funny that scoop day is also ASA gameplay day), and we hope you're just as excited! Feel free to come to our discord to chat or just hang out! Have a wonderful timezone!

If this is your first time seeing TSW, check out the links below to find out more! Please note that if you want to play our mod, you need both the map and creature mod active.
Discord: https://discord.gg/BAkvgc7
Twitter: 
https://twitter.com/ArkSunken
Map Mod: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2182740759
Creature Mod:https://steamcommunity.com/workshop/filedetails/?id=2182770728

Edited by ashgcy
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, UnknowUserZ said:

Notes_231025_170824_dfc.jpg.39149482c3dedae7f90c877ce2765252.jpg

I loved the Tyrant Shrimp idea!! Please could you add the second version, as I already created a giant mantis shrimp, Tyrannophontes vastatus, the name fits perfectly! If you want, check out the ideas I had for this creature on discord, I think you'll like it!

We won't be able to add both designs, so we'll just be sticking to V1.

Both designs would be a LOT more work and with the 40 odd other creatures we need to do there's enough on our plate haha