Eclipsomations

Suggestion

Dollocaris_ingens_gabuded.png.0832b8908d330470dc20e7fd4d3e7ae2.png

General appearance: A small arthropod posses massive eyes compared to its relatively small body. Dollacaris posses claws used for attacking prey and ones for propulsion.

Location: The dollacaris is found in abundance underneath the floating island The Center has become best known for. However they can be found in the open ocean, but much less reliably.

Behavior: The dollacaris, while small, is a strict carnivore. However due to it's size and poor swimming ability the only thing on the menu for these unfortunate creatures are already dead creature and trilobites, as neither of those are very good at running away. This gives them a relatively skittish temperament, fleeing from most creatures and survivors.

Taming: Due to the aforementioned skittish behavior this creature is a difficult one to get close too, this does not bode well to anyone wanting one of these small allies. And to top it off it is IMPOSSIBLE to sneak up on one of these creatures, no amount of ghille and bug repellent means otherwise. So clever survivors have been able to lure these creatures close with food, aka, a corpse. Once this creature begins eating one can than approach it with its favorite food, pearls. Black pearls work best but a more cost effective method does lie in silica pearls.

Tamed: When tamed (luckily for all of us) this creature does eat meat after being tamed. However you don't want this creature for eating your food so what does it do? This creatures massive eyes allow it detect just about anything in nature and even things invisible to the naked eye. This is most apparent when a male and female dollacaris are "linked" to eachother (a setting accesed in their behaviour tab). When activated the male is set to be stationary, able to be latched to various surfaces, and survey an area. This adapted in nature so that the male could gaurd young dollacaris while the female stays with the young. Through the linked female you can access the males view of his nearby environment just about anywhere (his view range is about 20 feet in any direction). The male in this state can see things such as drop contents, creature level, and creature gender. This is not all its useful for, when given 100 black pearls and the dermis of any one creature, this creature can locate any member of the species that the given dermis belonged too in a given area. This can be done up to 3 times as the dollacaris is a small animal with a small brain that can get overloaded with information easily. The detectable creatures seemingly can't be swapped out as the dollacaris grows an affinity towards them and won't let you take away its precious dermis action figures.

Misc: the dollacaris can half the weight of anything in its inventory.                            Despite being aquatic it can survive out of water just find, however, it is remarkably slow on land.

Credit given to user Ladyteruka for ideas regarding this creatures abilities 

Edited by Eclipsomations

15 replies to this server topic

12 minutes ago, DarkCupid said:

I really like the concept but it seems very op

That was actually my largest concern with it. I'd like to keep its abilities as is but potentially increasing the price of its second ability or adding some other affect may be necessary I.E, making it cost 50-100 black pearls per use or having the creature loose health while the location buff is active (kinda cruel but would make it more balanced)

Edited by Eclipsomations
Typo

7 minutes ago, ladyteruki said:

Ha, watch me farm black pearls like it's my day job with this one :P
I half-expected it to be a living camera (you know, as an alternative to the surveillance console), but that also works !

That's actually a very interesting idea, I may replace the "max level detection" ability with that as to let the bulbdogs ability still shine for that purpose.

Just now, Eclipsomations said:

That's actually a very interesting idea, I may replace the "max level detection" ability with that as to let the bulbdogs ability still shine for that purpose.

It's because of the big eyes on your concept art that I thought that :P
I'm not fully sure how it could work. Tying it directly to tek might be a problem, but also you do need a screen of some sort to watch what it's filming.
Maybe the female films like a camera and the male works as a projector ? Something along those lines ?

To be honest I'm also not sure a camera is much needed. I don't see a lot of people using the tek one in PvP (do they ?), and in PvE I'm not fully sure I need a camera badly. To monitor expensive drops like the red crates in the Ragnarok desert ? Or...? No, honestly I don't know. But then again, a lot of creatures fill a need I didn't know I had ; like the Desmodus.

14 minutes ago, Eclipsomations said:

That was actually my largest concern with it. I'd like to keep its abilities as is but potentially increasing the price of its second ability or adding some other affect may be necessary I.E, making it cost 50-100 black pearls per use or having the creature loose health while the location buff is active (kinda cruel but would make it more balanced)

Or it could be in a certain range. Which actually, depending on how ASA works, might also be technically preferable.
In ASE singleplayer for instance (I know, I know, we don't talk about SP, but a lot of people play it nonetheless), I know a lot of tracking mods have issues detecting wild creatures out of range.

Another option would be to specialize each Dollacaris. So for instance, it spawns like Gacha, with a selection of creatures it can spot. AND JUST THOSE. So if you find a Dollacaris that can spot Gigas, cool. If you find a Dollacaris that can spot Coels, tough sh*t, breed it and better luck next time.

Edited by ladyteruki
Oops I was mispelling the creature's name, sorry !

3 minutes ago, ladyteruki said:

Or it could be in a certain range. Which actually, depending on how ASA works, might also be technically preferable.
In ASE singleplayer for instance (I know, I know, we don't talk about SP, but a lot of people play it nonetheless), I know a lot of tracking mods have issues detecting wild creatures out of range.

Another option would be to specialize each Dollacris. So for instance, it spawns like Gacha, with a selection of creatures it can spot. AND JUST THOSE. So if you find a Dollacris that can spot Gigas, cool. If you find a Dollacris that can spot Coels, tough sh*t, breed it and better luck next time.

I feel like (for everyone's sake so you aren't constantly getting random dinos nobody cares about) it should be customizable to a degree without luck being a factor. Maybe giving it dermis's could let it detect all of the creature it has a dermis for in a certain range, but you only get 3 slots per dollacaris and they can't be swapped out.

2 minutes ago, Eclipsomations said:

I feel like (for everyone's sake so you aren't constantly getting random dinos nobody cares about) it should be customizable to a degree without luck being a factor. Maybe giving it dermis's could let it detect all of the creature it has a dermis for in a certain range, but you only get 3 slots per dollacaris and they can't be swapped out.

You're right that the Coel example made it sound really crappy. When in actuality, it could be a reduced list of tames that could be rolled. Like, all creatures that can do bossfights, for starters.

Edited by ladyteruki
You said dermis and I understood trophy. I'm dumb. My bad.

10 minutes ago, ladyteruki said:

It's because of the big eyes on your concept art that I thought that :P
I'm not fully sure how it could work. Tying it directly to tek might be a problem, but also you do need a screen of some sort to watch what it's filming.
Maybe the female films like a camera and the male works as a projector ? Something along those lines ?

To be honest I'm also not sure a camera is much needed. I don't see a lot of people using the tek one in PvP (do they ?), and in PvE I'm not fully sure I need a camera badly. To monitor expensive drops like the red crates in the Ragnarok desert ? Or...? No, honestly I don't know. But then again, a lot of creatures fill a need I didn't know I had ; like the Desmodus.

Maybe if it does get a camera type function it could tell you certain things that you can't see from a distance (IE, setting one up infront of a red drop spawn and being able to see what's inside like the awesome spyglass can)

You're right that the Coel example made it sound really crappy. When in actuality, it could be a reduced list of tames that could be rolled. Like, all creatures that can do bossfights, for starters.

That sounds good but I think that might cause problems with people who want specific dinos or who's favorite dino isn't on the list😅