Suggestion

Introducing Edestus - The Ocean Guillotine

iv40BVM5rcJXid8rw0aW8XwRbahCZJXnjkg6u3TOSzdrR6Qs_5OnlxW9SmRKoCZkEqojshpM5s4Sh9AKGqkvjAL7MmoSMMFc5kUJemH-NZCmOG5LypFlM81Qa2xJelFrniku866476iKQlgJ8-QSpqM

The goal of Edestus is to provide The Center and its vast oceans with some much-needed variety, as well as providing unique combat, utility, and QoL features that can benefit all players regardless of how invested you are into aquatic progression.

I’ll leave a quick rundown of Edestus’s abilities for those who don’t want to spend too much time reading through this submission. Scroll further down to check out this creature’s in-depth dossier, stats, controls, taming method, and unique Alpha variant, as well as extra ideas for Edestus you all can suggest in the replies.

Extreme Attack Stat

Edestus deals a ton of damage, but has a very restricted area of effect. This makes Edestus specialize in killing much larger creatures, as it struggles hitting smaller swarms. Pick your battles wisely!

Bonus Group Exp

All nearby allies gain bonus shared exp when your Edestus kills an enemy creature. Pairing with other abilities listed below, Edestus makes for a highly effective late-game exp farmer.

Alpha-Detecting Sonar

Edestus can detect and point out the closest underwater Alpha predator to its location from a massive range. However, Edestus cannot notify you of what creature in particular it’s detecting, so it’s up to you if you’re willing to take the risk of battling what it detects.

Creature Sacrifice

Got a creature you no longer need? Have some creatures or a boss-fighting army in need of exp without having them all individually slaughter baby Gigas? Bring your sacrifice in front of Edestus along with your other tames to watch the show. As your sacrifice gets sliced in two, all nearby allies gain a massive exp bonus. This exp amount is amplified even further by how much exp the sacrifice would’ve given if you killed it yourself.

Ram Attack

A secondary attack option locked behind a short cooldown, Edestus charges and rams into the foe, inflicting a stun effect similar to the Trike. Can be used to gain a bit of extra speed or gain an advantage at the start of a battle.

Regrowing Teeth

The teeth of Edestus can occasionally fall and gather in its inventory. This lowers your damage, but the teeth regrow back relatively quickly. These teeth can be grinded down to produce a material that can act as an alternative to Silica Pearls.

Surfacing Mode

A mode you can toggle once at the water's surface. Edestus pokes its fin out of the water, granting an above-water field of view and a small speed increase, perfect for cross-island traversing, or recreating your favorite JAWS scenes.

Dossier

Polish_20230724_011537584.png?width=1118&height=671

"Don't mind the change in style for this dossier. This elusive predator native to this ARK seems to not have been documented yet, I figured I'd jump to it incase an unfortunate survivor happened to run into one of these beasts unaware of what they're really dealing with."

"I'm deeming this species Edestus epithymia, or "Desire to Devour", though it's up to Helena if this name is kept in a more refined writing regarding the animal."

Every Edestus tells a story through the various wounds and scars on its body, as its macropredatory instincts aren't without repercussions. As effective as Edestus is at cleaving through large prey, many become so beat up over time they're made into prey due to dysfunctionalities. This may be the cause of their extreme rarity on this ARK.

My tribe has managed to tame a few Edestus. One tribemate brought up the ridiculous idea of knocking the teeth right out its mouth and feed the de-weaponized Edestus manually before they grow back. To my surprise, it seemed to have worked. Perhaps Edestus find upmost importance in a free food source if it means they can avoid another risky hunt.

Watching an Edestus effortlessly slice through foes is, quite literally, a bloody spectacle, even for other animals. My own tames have never been more eager for battle after watching the thrill of the bloodshed caused by this creature.

The teeth of Edestus contain a material common in several other species on the ARK, often used in the creation of advanced tools. Since Edestus teeth fall off and regrow regularly, they can be used as a reliable source of this material.

Taming Method

As described in the dossier, Edestus is tamed by first knocking all 12 of its teeth out, then feeding it passively. The teeth must be removed by damaging them directly with a projectile. Once removed, feed Edestus its preferred food, Raw Prime Meat. Raw Mutton, or aquatic apex drops.

Alpha Edestus

sketch1689486298838.png?width=1118&height=671

Unlike the current Alpha variants present in ARK: Survival Evolved, Alpha Edestus sports its own unique pattern to really emphasize the ferocity of this oceanic apex. Find your current Edestus a little bland? Kill an Alpha Edestus to obtain its unique patterning for your own, keeping your tame's color regions!

Stats

• Tamable: Yes
  • Rideable: Yes
  • Breeding: Yes
  • Taming: Passive
  • Most Preferred Food: Alpha Tuso Eye
  • Equipment: Edestus Saddle (lvl 83)
  • Unique Skins: Edestus Alpha Skin

• Health: 1950
  • Stamina: 450
  • Food: 5000
  • Weight: 750
  • Melee Damage: 250
  • Drag Weight: 500

Controls

Primary: Bite

Secondary: Ram

Tertiary: Alpha Sonar

Jump (Near Surface): Toggle Surface Mode

Ram (In Surface Mode): Jump/Breach

Creature Sacrifice: Bring tame close to Edestus's mouth, select Sacrifice Tame in Edestus's radial menu.

Community Corner

EDGYDROMAEOSAURID - Add-on Suggestions

• Form of Camoflauge; Perhaps this could be a general passive effect that lowers aggro radius. Would always be nice to have less worry about those pesky Megalodons, especially for a creature focused on attacking larger foes.
  • Bonus Damage to Tuso/soft-bodied animals; Could further solidify Edestus's role as an anti-tank or apex feeder. I could see bonus damage to Alpha predators as well, maybe even removing or stealing their attack and resistance buff from other wild tames.
  • Quick Turning; This would make Edestus much less frustrating to use in comparison to other aquatic tames such as Mosasaurus, and also aid the creature in dealing with smaller or agile targets more consistently.
  • Tail Fluke Slap; Perhaps an alternative attack to the given Ram move. Could be used to knock out creatures or, depending on ASA's water mechanics, knock back and launch foes.

Got any ideas for Edestus? Comment your own ideas to expand upon Edestus or share your own takes on this species, and I'll add them to this section for Wildcard to consider!

Edited by VaporVenator

14 replies to this server topic

Wow yeah these deserve more attention! I really want another aquatic for this map and edestus delivers on that it's a shark and with the overflow of megalodon  a new shark would kinda balance things out a bit, 

Starting off the submission with some fantastic art I've followed your suzhousaurus submission before this and You're an extremely talented artist your blending of color is seemless and even down to extremely small details like the cutson the sharks body and the small to notice ridges and not perfectly cut white underbelly 

I like your specificness when it comes to ability the first one I see is that edestus has a precise bite being better for larger targets it gives a unique factor to the sub as a whole, the Xp grinder is something that could be Hella useful especially during ASA when we will have to grow gigas again gone are the days of baby giga farming, the regrowth of teeth is also a very nice touch it makes it more useful to the QOL if it wasn't already tbh this sub doesn't need too much more it already improves ark so much

Here are some suggestions though:

Camoflauge- most sharks have the colors dark Uptop and white underneath to blend in within the ocean surroundings (forgot the correct term lol) 

Does Hella damage to soft bodied animals (Tuso)

Quick turning 

Tail fluke smack that does torpor

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PrimalNacho said:

What happens when u breed a regular Edestus with one that has an alpha pattern?
Does the pattern carry on?

The pattern doesn't carry on to offspring. It acts like the other costumes in the game, but with the difference of using your creature's color regions instead of a preset coloring that can be painted on. 

Edited by VaporVenator

4 hours ago, EDGYDROMAEOSAURID said:

Wow yeah these deserve more attention! I really want another aquatic for this map and edestus delivers on that it's a shark and with the overflow of megalodon  a new shark would kinda balance things out a bit, 

Starting off the submission with some fantastic art I've followed your suzhousaurus submission before this and You're an extremely talented artist your blending of color is seemless and even down to extremely small details like the cutson the sharks body and the small to notice ridges and not perfectly cut white underbelly 

I like your specificness when it comes to ability the first one I see is that edestus has a precise bite being better for larger targets it gives a unique factor to the sub as a whole, the Xp grinder is something that could be Hella useful especially during ASA when we will have to grow gigas again gone are the days of baby giga farming, the regrowth of teeth is also a very nice touch it makes it more useful to the QOL if it wasn't already tbh this sub doesn't need too much more it already improves ark so much

Here are some suggestions though:

Camoflauge- most sharks have the colors dark Uptop and white underneath to blend in within the ocean surroundings (forgot the correct term lol) 

Does Hella damage to soft bodied animals (Tuso)

Quick turning 

Tail fluke smack that does torpor

Glad you like the submission! As a self-taught artist this really means a lot to me, I've been getting better with almost every major piece I've worked on for the past few years as I add more effort and use new techniches and it's great to know just how much I've been improving lately.

I've added your suggestions to my thread for others to consider when voting the creature. Feedback like this is always amazing to have and is something these submissions don't get very often, so tysm for taking your time to check this creature out.

Edited by VaporVenator

The idea sounds pretty cool besides one thing that makes me scratch my head. I know the main thing you are promoting about this creature is that it’s a guillotine for unneeded tames that your tames are supposed to watch it execute to gain an xp buff. That just sounds kinda respectfully dumb in my opinion. I know the main go is that it’s an alpha radar and gives xp buffs from killing certain things, enemy tamed I can understand but putting up an execution show for xp just doesn’t sound like a good mechanic. Maybe tweak it a bit and make it that your creatures can get an xp buff when it kills a large sized creature like a Mosasaur, Tuso or a Leed. 

Still great suggestion otherwise 

22 minutes ago, MDwesman said:

The idea sounds pretty cool besides one thing that makes me scratch my head. I know the main thing you are promoting about this creature is that it’s a guillotine for unneeded tames that your tames are supposed to watch it execute to gain an xp buff. That just sounds kinda respectfully dumb in my opinion. I know the main go is that it’s an alpha radar and gives xp buffs from killing certain things, enemy tamed I can understand but putting up an execution show for xp just doesn’t sound like a good mechanic. Maybe tweak it a bit and make it that your creatures can get an xp buff when it kills a large sized creature like a Mosasaur, Tuso or a Leed. 

The big reasoning behind the guillotine ability is to level up terrestrial tames. Being able to sacrifice your own tames for exp means you can perform the sacrifice in a controlled area that allows you to have your land tames up close for the exp, which otherwise couldn't be done out in the deep ocean or an enemy's base. This is also an instakill which would be overpowered against enemy tames, and if Edestus doesn't aid in leveling terrestrial creatures via removing the guillotine ability, that limits its usage drastically to just aquatic exp farming, and with ASA still unreleased we have no idea how good of an overhaul the ocean will be getting. I'd rather be safe than sorry and add as much universal usage to this creature as possible while still having a core role as an aquatic tame, just in case ASA's ocean still runs into the same flaw as ASE's in that the ocean simply isn't worth most player's time.