fanfiction Florian's Journal Chapter 6 (Build, And, Rebuild!)

FlorianWind9

HELLO!!!

So, we covered a lot of ground in the previous chapter huh? Finally got to meet some other humans, that is to say some other players, face to face. Not really too friendly were they? I realize that I hadn't been clear on this before, but by now it should be obvious that the Official The Island Server 39 that I played on was a PVP server. When first starting to play the game, I knew that PVE was an option and that it'd probably be safer and easier to start on. However, I always figure that PVP servers on games like these offer a more realistic experience; and therefore not only a more challenging, but also a more interesting one. Given the option, I will usually tend towards PVP servers; not because I enjoy PVP or intend to engage in it, but simply because of the realism and excitement that they bring over PVE. I also played the game on PC; if that helps provide some extra context.

Well, for this chapter, I would like to dedicate it to my brother Daniel; who was my main man through chapters 6, 8, 9, 10, 11, and 12; after I introduced him to the game and got him to come join me. In life it's often nice to know that you have someone whom you can count on to be there to help in times of need; when playing the game Ark Survival Evolved, especially on a PVP server, this is certainly no less the case.

To Celebrate the Existence of This Game, and to Mourn the approach of its Death, I present to you Chapter 6; what I would consider to be the true start of my journey upon The Island.

FIRSTLY: I would like to state that this story is NONFICTION, meaning that every event is completely true and really did happen. wildcard did not provide a nonfiction prefix for me to choose, only a fanfiction one, so I guess that's what I have to go with...

SECONDLY:

IMPORTANT CONTEXT!!

The events of this story are Very Heavily based upon the true life events experienced through the perspective of the player character Florian, Nine, Wind. The events are marginally smoothed to convert video game aspects into real life description, and ever so slightly dramatized for entertainment purposes; to make the story more enjoyable.

These events occurred within the online video game “Ark Survival Evolved” which is owned by “Studio Wildcard”. So…while the original life events occurred through Florian and the other player characters mentioned within this story; the world scenery and visual assets, as well as the in-game story elements, were created by and are owned by “Studio Wildcard”.

These events occurred majoritively upon the “Official The Island Server 39”, with only the very ending occurring upon the “Official The Island Server 2”; and the planned Epilogue on the “Official Ragnarok Server 65”; all of which no longer exist. Server 39 and 2 would be considered "Legacy Servers" if they still existed. Server 65 would be considered a "Modern Server Soon To Be Ended" if it also still existed.

The player created events of this story occurred between the time period of the game’s early access launch, on the online video-game hosting service “Steam” owned by “Valve”, which debuted on June 2, 2015; and just slightly beyond the game’s "full 1.0 release" on August 29, 2017. More specifically; the story of Florian’s journey, which would be depicted within the completed version of this book(If I ever manage to fully complete it), transpired approximately between November 28, 2015 and November 4, 2017.

I am hoping that this story will be a way for people who love Ark; that have friends that don't like playing video games; or not open world sand box video games; but who may like to read; to show those friends what the game Ark Survival Evolved is really like; or at least what it CAN be. I am also hoping to convey to those who may read it what This Video Game Has Meant To Me Personally.

So...Without Further ADO...I Hope You Enjoy! :D          

49                                                                                                                                          49

Chapter 6

Build, And, Rebuild!

Having acquired a healthy fear for the human element, I’d spent the night in the trees; after a supper of hastily picked berries.

As the pitch-dark of night gave way to the leaf-filtered golden-rays of a new day, I climbed out from the thicket; and headed down towards the beach…wondering if I should just start knocking on some doors…and hope that whoever answered, would be friendly towards a random stranger.

Approaching the beach, I began to notice the faint scent of smoke…mixed with…cooking meat! My stomach began to grumble, while my mouth pooled with saliva, as the delicious aroma grew stronger and stronger the closer I got to the shoreline!

Just as I was coming to the edge of the trees, I heard a couple of male voices; locked in a fiercely loud argument! Wary of the potential threat…I crouched silently amongst the concealing bushes…and watched carefully, as a couple of grown men stood over a slowly burning campfire; making tug-of-war with a piece of seared steak.

The man on my left, stood about six feet high; and was covered in glorious muscles incased within a sheath of lightly tanned skin. His hair flowed freely in the wind; like a majestic golden field above deeply blue eyes, and an equally majestic golden beard.

The man to my right, stood about five and a half feet tall; with similarly bulging muscles cloaked in a finely chiseled, bronzed-ebony. His hair, a messy brown tangle of curls, overhead a pair of brown eyes; and an equally curly, brown beard. Both wore simple, fibrous coverings; similar to my own.

As I inquisitively hid there amongst the ferns…the man with brown hair continued their argument with a loud angry shout, seasoned by a slight Spanish accent; “I killed and skinned the Dillo; so I should get the last piece of meat!”

50                                                                                                                                          50

The other man responded angrily with a sharp tug; “Yeah, but I made and figured out how to light the campfire! Plus, I constructed the spears you used to kill it with; and the clothing you used to wipe the poison out of your eyes when it spat at you! You didn’t even have to hunt the thing down! The beast was just a few yards down the beach! I’m sitting here doing all the work…when you just take what you need and run off!”

Hesitantly deciding to take the chance they wouldn’t skin and cook me as well…I slowly stepped out from my hiding place, and addressed them with a gentle yell; “Why don’t you just split it?!”

Startled, the two men suddenly dropped the meat in unison; and it fell into the fire…quickly smoldering into a blackened charcoal. Their surprised expressions turning quickly to ones of anger, I swiftly attempted to defuse the situation; “Uh… There’s plenty of game around here! Dodos pop up like weeds…and they’re really easy to catch! Let me borrow one of those spears, and I’ll help you get some!” I then stretched out my right hand towards them in a gesture of cooperation saying; “The name’s Florian. Happy to help!”

They looked at me sternly for a moment…then the brown haired man grabbed my hand and shook it; “My name’s Giglieth. Another pair of arms for hunting sounds good to me.” The blond haired man then took my hand as well, and shook it firmly saying; “My name’s Pqpe…sorry, I can’t tell ya much more than that. Can’t seem to remember much beyond this morning; must have hit my head pretty hard, or something.”

Feeling the embrace of a kindred spirit at last, I readily stated; “Yeah; me to! I’ve got some kind of amnesia…can’t remember anything before waking washed up on the beach a few days ago.” To which Pqpe heartily responded; “Right?! Last thing I remember, is waking up in the sand next to this lazy basstard! He can’t remember a thing either! There was no-one else around…so it seemed beneficial to work together.”

Giglieth then abruptly grasped my left hand, and pulled my arm taut! He pointed excitedly to my wrist exclaiming; “Look! He’s got one to! I told you! We must be on some kind of lost island reality show or something! Must be hidden cameras all over; and these things track our position, so they know which ones to switch on!”

51                                                                                                                                          51

Realizing how little time they’d spent on the island in comparison…my face then turned somber, as I began relaying to them all my experiences up till this point. Their eyes grew wide as I described the void; and how I’d returned after death…wider still as I described all the fantastic creatures I’d encountered; both deadly and majestic. Their faces then took on a serious expression…as I described the floating tower; and all the human fortifications I’d seen…becoming especially serious as I mentioned the tribal individuals, who had almost killed me. By the time I’d finished; we were all sitting around the campfire…as it slowly smoldered into a pile of ash.

“So”, Pqpe began; “what do we do then?” I turned to face him with determination in my eyes; “We find out what’s going on here! I don’t know how exactly…but it’d be easier with more people helping! With all the other humans I’ve seen, and still a lot more of the island to explore, there must be someone who has the answers!”

Giglieth then stood up in a hurry; “Let’s just go ask someone then! You said there was a fort nearby… The Republic of Mongo! Let’s go ask them if they know anything!” I shook my head; “I don’t think it’ll be that easy…All the people I’ve seen so far have either been savages, or heavily fortified with intent to keep strangers out. Whether they know anything or not, I don’t think they’ll speak freely with just anyone who shows up asking questions.”

A look of defeat on his face, Giglieth whined; “What do we do then? Huh?! Just curl up on the beach and wait for a dinosaur to eat us?!” “No!”, I declared; “We keep doing what I’ve already been doing! We explore…we wait…we watch…we learn about the island and the people living here. We learn how to communicate with these implant things…It may take a long time…but, we just need to be patient. Death isn’t an obstacle here; and because of that, neither is anything dangerous…We just need to take our time…and ease ourselves into this. Eventually…if we keep searching…we’ll find the answers.”

Pqpe nodded in agreement…after a minute; so did Giglieth. Whatever the obstacles ahead of me…it seemed that at least I was no longer alone. ‘First thing’s first’, I thought; ‘We need a base of operations…a shelter to come back to and regroup at from the hazards of this deadly isle.’

52                                                                                                                                          52

At my direction, we began assembling a basic thatch hut. Pqpe showed me how to construct a simple axe; using a sharp rock, sturdy stick, and some plant fiber to lash the two together. All three of us working in unison, axes in hand, we worked quickly to mow down the smaller five and six foot trees in the area; amassing a small pile of materials to use in our construction.

Taking the sturdy wooden poles made from their trunks, I tied them together with plant fiber from the bushes to make a solid foundation; approximately twelve feet long by twelve feet wide. Continuing in the same fashion, I constructed a wall and ceiling frame; which rose about six feet above it.

Giglieth’s stomach rumbling, he suddenly took off with a wooden spear in search of those alleged Dodos; leaving the rest of the building to Pqpe and I.

Utilizing the thatch gathered from the trees, and using still more plant fiber, we began filling in the frame with tied together bundles of thatch to create the floor; walls; and ceiling.

The final touch was a thatch door; held to the wall by fibrous hinges, so that it could be pulled open or closed as the situation required. It may not have been much…but after a full day’s work, we had ourselves a basic shelter to keep out the rain; and the screeching Dillos.

The sun beginning to set with the onset of night…Giglieth abruptly returned with two dead Dodos in one hand, and the now bloodied spear in the other.

Gathering around the campfire, Pqpe showed me how to start it by striking flint and metal rich rocks together to produce sparks; which fell upon a pile of dry, fibrous kindling. The fire rose slow, but strong; with dancing orange and yellow flames, as we added larger sticks to feed the small inferno…a ring of small rocks; the only barrier set to contain the flying embers, so that the entire hillside would not be set ablaze by its burning hunger.

Having finished gutting, and plucking the feathers off one of the Dodos, Giglieth stuck a sturdy staff of wood down its throat; and held it over the fire…slowly turning it as it cooked, while Pqpe and I readied the other bird.

53                                                                                                                                          53

With the Dodos cooking up nicely…to a crispy golden-brown…a mouth-watering smell of fire-cooked meat filling the air; the notion suddenly struck me, that I hadn’t eaten anything for about a week…aside from a few meals of berries. As the juicy strips were passed around…I felt grateful, that this would be my first real repast after arriving upon the island. The Dodos’ meat melted in my mouth. It tasted like a juicy, fatty chicken; and was much appreciated after the past week’s struggles.

Finally…after putting out the fire…we all climbed into the shelter; and retired upon separate beds of piled up thatch. It may have been scratchy…with little support…but it was the first bed I’d slept in, since waking up in the sand; and to me…it felt like a luxurious cushion of feathers. With a roof over my head, and newfound comrades by my side, I closed my eyes; falling asleep peacefully for the first time in a week…

~~~~~~~

…A loud rumbling! …The sound of thatch being torn apart; and wooden beams breaking! …A heavy weight slammed forcefully against me, so that I flew towards the trees; hitting my head hard against a large tree-trunk; sending me back into a state of unconsciousness, before I had even woken up! …And a loud ROAR!!

~~~~~~~

The next morning, all three of us awoke amidst a pile of broken timbers; and thrashed thatch. We had all been flung into the trees, and knocked unconscious, before even being allowed to wake from the commotion. Though we were all miraculously alive…the shelter we had spent so much time on the day before, was completely demolished.

Walking amongst the rubble…Giglieth knelt amidst the strewn thatch; his hands clenching, and his face turning red with anger. Pqpe merely stood by the trees; a look of severe discouragement on his face.

Giglieth then raised his fists to the sky and shouted; “All that work wasted! How are we supposed to find out what’s going on, and get off this island, if we can’t even keep a simple shelter up for more than one night!?”

54                                                                                                                                          54

I stepped towards him…hoping to provide some encouragement; “At least we’re all still alive…And together.” Giglieth yelled back; “And what good does that do us!?”

Looking around the destruction…I noticed many large, three-toed claw impressions in the sand. Pointing to one of them, I exclaimed; “Look! A large carnivore must have come across us while hunting during the night! It must have been trying to get to us, and wrecked the shelter in the process! It’s a miracle we’re all still alive!”

Pqpe and Giglieth came over to look at the imprints while I continued; “All we have to do is build a larger, stronger structure with defenses…like spikes or something! If we make it so that it can withstand the larger dinosaurs; then we should be fine!” Looking a little skeptical…Pqpe and Giglieth agreed to give it a try.

All throughout the day, we went about cutting down the larger trees near the beach for stronger building material; and clearing away the bushes for more fibrous lashings. We had to be more careful cutting these taller trees down; making sure to carve strategic felling cuts so that they’d fall where we wanted them. Afterwards, we chopped the felled logs into the lengths we wanted; and set them aside in a pile until ready to begin building. It was extremely exhausting…back-breaking work; but with a seemingly endless supply of fresh, cool water just off the beach…and an abundance of stimulant inducing white berries…no-one seemed to complain much.

Giglieth spent the majority of the time off hunting down Dodos and Dillos; both for food to fuel our chopping, as well as the hide; which he figured we could use to make stronger ties, for defensive bracing.

As I began setting up the wooden frame…using a combination of fibrous lashings, and wooden nails pounded into holes that had been carefully drilled out with a sharp rock…Pqpe began splitting logs to make the siding. Giglieth meanwhile began using the creatures’ brains to make a quick, rough tanning of the hide he’d skinned from a small pile of Dodos and Dillos he’d been accumulating throughout the day.

As the floorboards, wall-siding, and ceiling-panels were carefully being put into place; Pqpe began carving the ends of a few long sturdy logs, which he’d left uncut, into long sharp points; to be used as spiked-wall fencing with which to encircle our shelter.

55                                                                                                                                          55

Once the door had been securely placed on its fibrous hinges, we began digging a deep trench in the sand around our wooded cabin; to place the large wooden spikes into…angling them so that they pointed outwards, toward any potential enemies. With the jagged fence in place, we securely lashed all the sharp poles together with strong hide straps; and filled in the trench.

The finished wooden structure measured about twelve feet wide, by eighteen feet long, and twelve feet high in a rectangular box. There was a single wooden door at its front; with a deadly looking ring of spiked fence poles forming a defensive wall all around…except for a small opening where the entrance was.

Just as before……it wasn’t much. Still; ‘Surely this structure would keep us safe…as we strove to decipher the mysteries of this island.’ And moreover; with the three of us working together, it had only taken a single day to build!

Exhausted…and with the dark of night long since upon us…we all clambered into the shelter; pulling the door shut with a satisfyingly secure sounding thud, then latching it closed for the night. Once again…we all drifted gradually off to sleep…thinking that we’d have a sound night of peaceful dreams…

~~~~~~~

…Wood creaking…cracking…splintering! The sound of large wooden shafts being forcefully removed from the ground! A loud…painful…screeching ROAR! I awoke to the ceiling and walls of our shelter beginning to cave in, with small cracks becoming large fissures, as something big and heavy continuously pounded against it from the outside!

In a shocked panic, I quickly scrambled for the door and opened it; just to be impaled through the chest by a sharp claw as large as my leg! Sliding off the claw…back into the crumbling shelter…I gurgled blood in disbelief, as I suddenly died without even having seen our attacker…

~~~~~~~

Reviving from the void, I found myself upon a familiar looking beach; just as the golden rays of a new morning were beginning to peak over the horizon. ‘My efforts had succeeded’; I knew I was close to where our shelter had been built!

56                                                                                                                                          56

In extreme desperation, I had tried hard as I could to revive as close as possible; so that I could get back to the shelter quickly, and search for my friends! Dashing down the beach; I sprinted just a few yards, and around a small bend, before coming to stand before the wreckages of our first and second lodgings!

Whatever had attacked us…was long gone…leaving behind only a fresh set of large, three-toed claw prints in the sand...

Picking through the devastation…I couldn’t find any trace of my friends, or my old body; aside from some torn shreds of clothing…and spattered blood. Then, to one side of the carnage, I saw a small wooden sign pounded into the ground; with some hastily written letters on it, in brushed white paint. I walked carefully over to inspect it… The sign read simply; ‘Keep off MY Beach Noobs! I use this path for Meat Runs!’

…It would seem that our attacker hadn’t been a wild, ravenous beast after-all…It had been another human…riding some giant dinosaur; who was asserting their territorial authority, by knocking down our modest accommodations. No-matter how much work we did building, and rebuilding…it seemed we would never be welcome to shelter here. Even worse…it meant that; ‘no-matter where we went…it was very likely we’d run into the same problem.’

In quiet despair…I sat there amongst the wreckage for an entire day…hoping that either Pqpe, or Giglieth, would return; and we could regroup with a new plan…but neither of them showed up.

As the desolation of the day darkened into the sorrow of night…it seemed that once again; ‘I was alone.’

• Like 1

On 7/30/2023 at 11:20 AM, Gecko1611 said:

Great job! This was interesting to read.

Thank You Very Much For Your Kind Comment! ☺️

I hope that you have or will enjoy chapters 1-5 as well.

Also chapters 7-14; as I gradually add one more per week, until I've posted all 14 which I so far have completed.

And after that, maybe I'll keep going if there appears to be enough interest? ......I Dunno. 🤷‍♂️