Can you submit a carnivorous plant for the creature vote?

Luux

So I spent so much time trying to find names of extinct plants before trying this and then it just hit me, do plants even qualify in the rules or would they not care? I could say that there is a fungus submission already in there but fungi are diffierent and could probably pass for something more like a creature in the sense of the guidelines as well as a coral could. It wouldn't be a true plant in the sense of game mechanics and essentially be a Mutant carnivorous plant that is related to the plant species Z and be a fully functional creature in game. It's mobility may differ and possibly involve burrowing underground to move if it cannot uproot itself reliably depending on the design I use for it but it will still be a creature, just it happens to be a flesh eating plant monster.

• Like 1

It technically does exist. It's been found in amber from around 30-50 million years ago in the Eocene. It's likely extinct, as are any other Sundews that lived back then. If this one is found in a fossil like this there's definitely others that existed at the time. 

The only issue with it is that the plant in the amber is not named or identified as far as I can find. Only referenced in the study article where they compare it to the modern and extant species of Roridula plants, flycatchers that work like a Sundew but are not exactly the same. They catch the prey like sundews but let other insects eat it and absorb the droppings.

I therefore don't know if it's enough to base it on an unnamed specimen of ancient plant fossil. Unfortunately it seems to be one of the only examples of one that is close enough to be identified as a carnivorous plant since others have been looked at again and doubted afterwards like the supposed extinct pitcher plant Archaeamphora Longicervia.

Yes the plant would technically be a functional creature. But not stuck in one place like the plant monster that is on Gen 2. It could get up and actually move around although it would take up quite a bit of energy to do so and not be a good strategy for more than short bursts to defend yourself or leave a dangerous area. It would be able to burrow and hide underground as well for Earthquakes and other weather events and attempt to do the same on the surface in daylight because of its sensitivity to light. So yes it would be able to be tamed, aggrod, ridden, moved, maybe not bred but it would be a creature and not just a stationary plant node or something or even the way the Gen 2 one functions except that it can attack.

• Like 1

• Volunteer Moderator

By the letter of the rules. No.

SUBMISSION GUIDELINES

·        One thread per creature

·        If someone has already made a thread with your creature suggestion, feel free to upvote the thread and post your own ideas and thoughts into that existing thread

·        In the event of multiple threads of a similar creature, threads will be merged with priority given to the oldest submission in the creature submission period

·        Must be a real-world extinct/prehistoric creature (dinosaurs, mammals, reptiles, etc)

But give it a shot and see what happens.

Edited by Joebl0w13