Suggestion

While checking the Ark wiki, I noticed that shockingly, Diplocaulus is the only amphibian in the entire game! And no one even uses it! How about we give it a larger, much more useful buddy from its time, the Permian. Introducing Prionosuchus, the biggest amphibian of all time!

E6A35D83-24C4-48CC-90CA-19DF176619B2.thumb.png.21b4edf0bad17dfcd58159ad16bb5803.png

Dossier

Name: Prionosuchus polaris

Time: Early Permian

Diet: Carnivorous

Temperament: Territorial

Wild: Prionosuchus is shockingly large compared to what I expected when I first heard of “The King of Crocodiles.” After traveling north to see this beast for myself, I discovered it to not be a crocodile at all, but rather, an abnormally large amphibian, noted by its ability to breathe underwater. Prionosuchus appears to have moved north to avoid competition from the spinosaurids and crocodylomorphs in the swamps and rivers of the warm areas, and has such grown to enormous sizes. Prionosuchus can be over fifteen meters in length, with some individuals even reaching twenty meters. Noting this size as well, Prionosuchus’s diet has moved away from its piscivorous past to hunting much larger animals. Its jaw has grown thicker and its bite force has increased to similar levels to that of even Sarcosuchus and possibly, Mosasaurus. I witnessed one of the larger Prionosuchus individuals hunting a herd of mammoths, pulling a juvenile into the depths of the river. Another note I have made is when observing the predator, its snout was covered in similar electroreceptors to that of Ultramegalodon. Prionosuchus may be able to identify its prey from much farther distances and stalk them for days by traveling the rivers!

Tamed: I could not believe it when I discovered a small tribe that had tamed a Prionosuchus. But, this tribe appeared to control the waterways of the north with their Prionosuchus. Their method for taming the great beast was an interesting one. The tribe would catch or spear fish in the river, and actually feed the Prionosuchus! Eventually, the large animal actually began to protect the tribe from attacks, even attacking a particularly angry Carnotaurus!

Tribes have also crafted a saddle for the Prionosuchus with massive oxygen tanks on the side, allowing them to dive deep underwater with their Prionosuchus. Their electroreception has also been weaponized by tribes, using it to find other people, animals, supply crates, artifacts, and even structures! But possibly its most useful feature was that this tribe figured out how to “overload” the electroreceptors, causing the Prionosuchus to release a massive electric shockwave, stunning nearby animals and short-circuiting electronic devices! Prionosuchus’s body mucus can also be processed into a form of cementing paste, albeit much slower than the Achatina. Also, when someone is slathered in Prionosuchus mucus, a discovery was made that the mucus protects wounds from infection and absorbs heat. Along with that, leeches seem to hate Prionosuchus mucus. This may protect their eggs and young from the small parasites.

The Prionosuchus is also a very precise attacker due to its thinner snout, allowing it to dig into its prey and find its favorite parts of the animal. This ability allows many tribes to receive higher quality meat than expected, and even receive rarer resources such as the pearls!

However, despite its size, I have seen riders of the Prionosuchus adamantly refuse to dive into the deep sea or go south, into Spino territory. I will have to test this for myself, to see if this amphibian can take on even the great Mosasaurus or the pairs of Plesiosaurs that travel the deep, and the great sail-backed king of the rivers.

Left-click: Simple bite attack.

Right-click: Lunge attack similar to the Sarco, in water it can grab small dinos and grip larger dinos, holding them in place and dealing bleed damage.

C : Press to send an electrical wave that detects dinos, drops, structures, artifacts, and players. Very high range.

Hold C or Press X: Electrical Overload to send a shockwave that stuns all dinos and disables electronic devices.

Passive Ability: Prionosuchus Mucus

Prionosuchus Mucus can now be used to create cementing paste with two Mucus items. The mucus is also used for a new item, the Heat Pack. The pack will slowly drain in your inventory, but gives you higher hypo and hyperthermal insulation. Prionosuchus Mucus can also be dragged onto armor to increase their protection from the elements and increase the spoil time of items. “Consuming” Prionosuchus Mucus increases your passive regeneration effect for 10 minutes, similar to a soup.

82F2862D-0363-4785-AE80-22A125BCFF59.thumb.jpeg.13290d3552b2c133fe4fb58afc852ac7.jpeg

4 replies to this server topic

I've always loved the idea of this giant being included in game, plus it got a like from Rassclark the YouTuber as a suggestion I made recently before the vote, with a multitude of other users liking it, but don't think this will make the cut this time, but hopefully it can gain popularity in future :) I'll try and create a Notes piece of artwork for it sometime soon to add to a post and hope when the next suggestion comes round for a new dino (even though it predated Dinos by over 100 million years and Crocs were merely a good example of convergent evolution, they were around first and only died via a mass extinction event. They could be fast ambush predator, no need for coming up for air, they could breathe underwater via gills or come up to the surface for lengthy periods of time as you suggested and perhaps lay a small brood of 3 eggs at a time with different benefits to each ie dmg, stamina, etc. Perhaps getting them to breed could be the challenge via a certain prime meat cooked shared and they could have night vision beneath the depths for even stealthier pop action, that would be amazing, plus a lock on jaw that's creates a bleed effect or stun effect via a poisonous bite and a tail swipe to knock foes back. they could be rapid at manoeuvrability in water, though slower on land, though faster in rain perhaps? slippery when wet springs to mind and harder for foes to keep up with if close to death. they could have a special ability such as a faster pullback into water for drowning a bigger foe? the possibilities are big for such a creature in game and I hope it gets a boost in popularity in time, it deserves it. 

Someone did create one for a mod previously I believe, though not too sure about the logic behind it all, though had nice potential:

https://youtu.be/5bNdtiZDt3c 

Archived