Ark server not allowing external connections*RESOLVED*

thanitos

Ark server not allowing external connections

Alright, so I created an Ark dedicated server, the server is set up on an Ubuntu virtual machine on a separate pc running ESXI.

I was able to connect to the server VIA LAN and it worked fine, but failed to show up in WAN or in steam servers even when added. I did some research and I think I was port forwarding to the wrong IP...

The server IP is 67.248.124.117, the internal IP for that PC is 192.168.1.231. I attached a photo of my port settings in my Asus Router. Once I changed my port settings to port to my internal ip instead of my external ip, I was no longer able to connect on LAN BUT I saw my server appear in my steam list! Then it was gone.................I was just left with the Server IP and port, so I refreshed again and it appeared again! Then it was gone(This is shown in the last three photos)........It shows up in ARK but fails to connect. I am afraid to mess with my ports anymore because I feel like the more I touch the worse it gets. 

I apologize if I am missing any information, I tried to be as detailed as I possibly can, I am just at a loss as to what I should be looking at right now. 

image.thumb.png.594563e630fdb825d3c15327dd983cbe.png

image.thumb.png.821d99455458bf03e10e58e017f5cdf0.png

image.thumb.png.f3e30edc68ab506f1a9f357e82b594ef.png

image.thumb.png.2d2d663e29114fd0c7d3927d5b43715e.png

image.thumb.png.9477adc16389357e0eff6741adab43d9.png

image.thumb.png.62edab6bbe9a69ad2c806164cf8fe84d.png

image.thumb.png.91e46ef309fedae22edbecd74919facf.png

So some revelations to this situation, my friends can now join my server! But when I try to join I seem to be getting blocked, I took my pc off the internet and connected it to my personal hotspot and it let me join. So I am unsure why my router is blocking me, anyone have any suggestions? Its an Asus RT-AC1900P

Here is my router log of the connection

udp   192.168.1.92:61178                       192.168.1.231:7777                       UNREPLIED  

I'm not sure but I actually resolved this this morning after posting that! Since it's just myself that can't connect VIA the servers EXTERNAL IP while I'm on the same network I assume it's an issue with my router not wanting to loop the traffic back in properly. So I decided to try connecting to it VIA the INTERNAL IP. It failed to show up for me though when I added it to steam with 192.**.**.***:7777, it failed with 7778, it failed with 27015. I looked at the failed connections in my router log and saw when I added the 192.**.**.***:27015 it showed up as a failed connection to 27016, so I incriminated the port in my Steam server address to 192.*.**.***:27016 and it shows up and let's me connect.

For whatever reason my router doesn't like my PC requesting my external IP address to connect internally. I think I saw a post when I first had issues talking about NAT loopback but I'm not sure how to adjust that. So for now I'm gonna leave it and enjoy my "working" server. I'll mark this topic as resolved as long as we all can join tonight 

After extensive testing everything seems to be perfectly fine. I think my router is the reason that I was unable to connect to my server with the external IP due to loop back restrictions. My friends all connect without any issues and we have played for a few hours together, them connecting VIA external IP and I connect using internal. So everything is looking good! Topic marked as resolved, thanks! 

Archived