The Center vs Valhalla?

Lupen

I've accidentally hijacked this thread, so this will be my last post about computers (BIG thanks for all the info).  I thought I had ordered a computer with the SSD, I did make sure it had room to be upgraded when I bought it.  Limited on choices after Christmas and my old computer was dying. 

If hubby's compensation is enough I will get the computer I wanted and give this to the grandkids for them to use for school and for playing after they do their homework (sneaky).  Our son gets his first and he wants another Alienware (I think they are overrated) 

Thanks again for all the info on computers, my son knows a lot but he focuses on the big fancy ones for his games, Skyrim, Fallout, Elder Scrolls and more.   I like to get info from all sources before I decide on what to get, in anything. 

5 hours ago, Janna3921 said:

Stargate mod?  What is that?  Makes me think of the sci-fi series of SG-1 where they entered a gate to travel to different planets.  Loved that series.

Thats exactly what the mod does, well same planet actually. Though there are two mods, Stargate and Stargate Atlantis. I prefer the latter its a bit further developed and more active imho.

Basicly you can built Stargates and these ring teleporters the goa'uld used. Like the series every Stargate has a address, if you know the address you can dial to it and walk through. It also works for dinos. Be mindful to deactivate the shield first, if not ... well you've seen the show.

Edit: Btw i also prefer the Center. Distances on Valhalla can be annoyingly large, also its ... more open. Lots of wide plains. While the Center feels more three dimensional, lots of room to deploy lifts for lack of better explanation.

i've had a poke at both the center and valhalla maps, these are my thoughts;

valhalla is huge, too big for me personally, probably best for high population servers, but with other mods employed could work out well for low pop.

the center is beautiful, roughly the same size as the regular island, however, i struggled to find a good source of stone. the map for it is also a bit wonky as a large chunk of the western landmass doesn't actually show on the map.

whilst i may be focusing on the negatives, i'd still say they are both definitely worth a look, i'd even check out some of the other maps too (which i've not had a chance to yet). 

On 4/15/2016 at 2:21 PM, Volrishan said:

lacks the complexity that Valhalla has ? i took another look at valhalla recently and yes it is HUGE. but to say it is more complex you have apparently not looked at the massive caves in the center. i find that the center is nicely blended between the biomes making it "feel" abit better than the island. i do see how people can think the center is abit small with how the islands are laid out. build in a good spot and you would not have to travel very far for anything.

I agree with this post. Valhalla is absolutely massive but the Center feels more carefully crafted. And honestly I think the Center looks better. That being said, Valhalla has some optimizations that make it run better than the vanilla map even on the client side due to load-in settings being optimized. With a 4790k and a 780Ti I was able to get 80-144FPS in 1440p, which is around a 25% improvement on the regular map. I just got bored of Valhalla because everything is so spread out.

Archived