No Scorched Earth ascencion?!

Royalstar

In the recent livestream by Wildcard, during the QnA segment, the devs flat out said there will be no ascencion added to Scorched Earth. I’m disappointed to say the least. Recently I’ve been attempting to beat the game, i.e. play all the canon maps and ascend off each one. Well I can’t really do that now. The devs’ reasoning was: “Scorched Earth is a finished project, and you can get the lore from the explorer notes anyway.” First of all, the dlc is barely worth the $20 at this point, considering you can get the same creatures (except for Phoenix), engrams and biomes on Ragnarok.

As for the second point, I get that not every feature of the lore has to be in the base game, but ascension? Now, if people wanna follow Helena and the others through the story, they simply can’t. Plus, adding a final boss to Scorched Earth would push the max player level (including ascension-gained levels obviously) up to 150, instead of the current 135, which just makes much more sense. A cutscene would probably be just like the Island ascension cutscene, only traveling from Scorched to Aberration instead. I’m sure Gareth Coker wouldn’t mind making one last theme, even if not they can use the song by YouTube.com/NerdOut! 

Rant over. I think ascension would revive Scorched Earth a little bit, as players could get extra levels, and people trying to play the story would actually be able to do so. Hopefully the devs change their minds in the future.

What does everyone else think of this news?

I was watching the live stream live and when they announced that SE was getting an ascension it was disheartening. After some reflection I'm kind of torn though. SE has always been my favorite map and where I play most often. After the update to SE making spoil timers not as punitive and generators not turning off during thunder storms, a lot of people started showing up on SE. And then we got tame capped which I would never have expected. Tame cap isn't a problem these days (though I'm sure we hover close to it), and the people who play on SE has dropped of a little bit.

All that being said, here's why I'm torn. SE is my favorite map and I believe it deserves an ascension. It's a canon map and deserves the same love as any of the other canon maps. Not to mention it basically saved Wildcard's butt during their lawsuit when they decided to release a DLC for a game still in early access. Without SE there may not be an Ark game today. So yes I think that SE should get all the love it deserves and not be forgotten simply because the money that the map may make for Wildcard has diminished significantly.

On the flip side, I play on SE more than any server and an ascension would see tons of people showing up, making bases all over the place, which would make trapping phoenixs harder, make it more likely SE servers will hit tame cap, and overall increasing the lag each SE server experiences. All of these things would negatively impact those of us who make SE or primary home. 

So overall, while I would love an ascension and believe that SE deserves one, I don't want the game play of those SE servers to suffer. At this point I'm fine without one, disappointing as that news is.

Guest BubbaCrawfish
6 hours ago, Ocicat said:

On the flip side, I play on SE more than any server and an ascension would see tons of people showing up, making bases all over the place, which would make trapping phoenixs harder, make it more likely SE servers will hit tame cap, and overall increasing the lag each SE server experiences. All of these things would negatively impact those of us who make SE or primary home. 

That's assuming people are like that. Hardly a reason to not have ascension on that map. Most other maps have it, yet Scorched doesn't... For wildcard to say it's because of the map being finished is just silly. Can easily find somewhere to put it, hell, even put it on the beacons themselves..

All of those side tracking projects have cost the momentum of the game and the community support that they once had, has simply frivoled out to the vocal minority.

Again though, there's no reason not to have ascension, and your fearful worries, are only your own. They can easily go to another server, ascend, and make their base on scorched if they so desired. Hell, they could load up your server, use beacons to teleport to another server, bring their dinos out of storage and activate the boss fights, and make their way to the ascension areas, and then just go back to the scorched map they were on.

Is it really only because you want the map to yourself, and because you've had it that way for the time, you don't want that to change so you don't feel so at risk of actually being raided?

Half the reason people stay away from scorched is because of people kiting golems, and wyverns, and the harsh climate... Not because of ascension not being there.

29 minutes ago, BubbaCrawfish said:

That's assuming people are like that. Hardly a reason to not have ascension on that map. Most other maps have it, yet Scorched doesn't... For wildcard to say it's because of the map being finished is just silly. Can easily find somewhere to put it, hell, even put it on the beacons themselves..

All of those side tracking projects have cost the momentum of the game and the community support that they once had, has simply frivoled out to the vocal minority.

Again though, there's no reason not to have ascension, and your fearful worries, are only your own. They can easily go to another server, ascend, and make their base on scorched if they so desired. Hell, they could load up your server, use beacons to teleport to another server, bring their dinos out of storage and activate the boss fights, and make their way to the ascension areas, and then just go back to the scorched map they were on.

Is it really only because you want the map to yourself, and because you've had it that way for the time, you don't want that to change so you don't feel so at risk of actually being raided?

Half the reason people stay away from scorched is because of people kiting golems, and wyverns, and the harsh climate... Not because of ascension not being there.

I play on PvE so I don't have the "map to myself" and don't have to worry about being raided lol. I don't want to disrupt the game play on that map to the point it mirrors how ragnarok runs: full of lag and often tame capped. And I can assure you that people who mainly play on SE do worry about these issues. As I said above, I'd love an ascension sine SE is my favorite map. I'm just not convinced the trade off for disrupting those servers is worth it. The OP as for our thoughts on this news and I was as honest as I could be. Nice try at trying to shame me because I don't relish having a negative side affect added to SE where I and many others primarily play for the sake of an ascension. 

Guest BubbaCrawfish
8 minutes ago, Ocicat said:

I play on PvE so I don't have the "map to myself" and don't have to worry about being raided lol. I don't want to disrupt the game play on that map to the point it mirrors how ragnarok runs: full of lag and often tame capped. And I can assure you that people who mainly play on SE do worry about these issues. As I said above, I'd love an ascension sine SE is my favorite map. I'm just not convinced the trade off for disrupting those servers is worth it. The OP as for our thoughts on this news and I was as honest as I could be. Nice try at trying to shame me because I don't relish having a negative side affect added to SE where I and many others primarily play for the sake of an ascension. 

Yet you make out that people will build everywhere, like they haven't already... Come on... Seriously though they can just go to another cluster server, and do the ascension there and come back.. No big deal, and it's not that much work that there'd be a massive influx of people to your server.

Seriously though, there will be no massive influx of people just because they put ascension on... It'd only happen if they actually added things to the map, that people wanted, and couldn't transfer off the map.

You're worrying over nothing.

Oh and 'trying to shame you"? You are way to easily offended, or you take things too personally... There was no effort in that shame. I'd suggest you cool your jets.

Well it doesn't matter in the slightest because as of this moment the devs aren't adding it. So regardless of whether you agree or not it isn't happening. I simply expressed concerns that adding it would cause. I also felt that the trade off wouldn't be worth it. It's fine if you disagree but the OP asked for opinions on the news. You instead went after me and the opinion I hold simply because you disagree. Maybe next time instead of trying to shame a player with comments like "Is it really only because you want the map to yourself, and because you've had it that way for the time, you don't want that to change so you don't feel so at risk of actually being raided?" have a bit more empathy for another players concerns. Many SE servers have thriving communities and while it might seem selfish to you that we don't want that disrupted with a massive influx of players that'll cause more lag and tame caps, it's completely reasonable from our point of view. If you want an ascension of SE I can respect that, and I want one as well. Just not as much as I want to preserve the stability of the SE community.

Archived