Worth of a dino - a few thoughts

ToeiRei

Hi guys,

I was recovering from a corrupted tribe file and stuff rolling back my server due to tribefile corruption from obelisk uploads when I thought about what a certain Dinos worth, disregarding favorites in that calculation.

At the beginning you start taming/acquiring a Dino - you invest time into that. Then you start breeding - every generation gets raised and eats our time. Even if it's only a fraction of an hour watching for them, you have invested that timing. Taking an average worker having a rate of let's say 10 Euro or Dollars or whatever, some of those beasts are getting quite expensive.

Following that line of thought, my breeding stock is 50 pairs of the best stats I could find. That's 100 Dinos, who had gone through about 5-8 generations to get that far - no mutations counted. Even if using mods to push the 'costs' down - or having increased rates for taming/breeding/raising... - that's still quite some value we have sitting there worth doing good backups.

Your thoughts?

1 hour ago, ToeiRei said:

Hi guys,

I was recovering from a corrupted tribe file and stuff rolling back my server due to tribefile corruption from obelisk uploads when I thought about what a certain Dinos worth, disregarding favorites in that calculation.

At the beginning you start taming/acquiring a Dino - you invest time into that. Then you start breeding - every generation gets raised and eats our time. Even if it's only a fraction of an hour watching for them, you have invested that timing. Taking an average worker having a rate of let's say 10 Euro or Dollars or whatever, some of those beasts are getting quite expensive.

Following that line of thought, my breeding stock is 50 pairs of the best stats I could find. That's 100 Dinos, who had gone through about 5-8 generations to get that far - no mutations counted. Even if using mods to push the 'costs' down - or having increased rates for taming/breeding/raising... - that's still quite some value we have sitting there worth doing good backups.

Your thoughts?

Mutations and breeding drain your time and luck. You can tame some useful dinos first when you're new in the server like argrys, anky to start-up, yet we are facing a serious issue - tame cap at almost every ragnarok map(officials one).

My opinion is, building a good relationship with other tribes, farm more mats to trade for some good stats dino is way more effective than you breed by your own,  especially when you only have like 1-2 members in your tribe. 

Just the rough math using a trike as it's simple to get using the values from the wiki. We're dealing with high level around 150 as we want to get some results, do we?
For taming we do not care for kibble on that calculation as it won't really do big cuts here as we do not care for a taming bonus on breeding nor imprinting for the next generations. My average breeding is 5 generations with quite some waste which we cannot calculate here - so we just assume we have 'perfect eggs' every time we mate.

• ~4h taming and getting it home - x2
  • ~46h  maturation time

so we have around 54 hours in one single baby trike 1st captive generation. As you see, taming is not the big time consumer here - that's why kibble or berries do not really matter as it not the taming being the huge time eater on our list. On the other hand, it may be wise to get the tame into safety as soon as possible.

• 18h to 2d cooldown - let's take 33h here, the average cooldown
  • ~46h maturation

second 'generation' done, adding 79 hours to that one, giving us a 'per generation time',  being 395 hours for 5 generations leading to a total of a bit less than 450 hours which makes creatures on the ark (insert curse word here) expensive if you'd have to hire people for doing so. In other words, breeding is damn unattractive on official making some Dinos really priceless.

Archived