Desert Titan Taming

LegionD35

I had gotten excited and prepped to tame the mighty desert titan last week, and decided that my buddy and I would take it on as soon as I got off work. We both were confident in our plan of going in with simply 1 snow owl each to tame it. (We have saddles that are at 325 armor, so damage was expected to be negligible.) Little did we know that Ark was updated that same day while at work, so when we fly up, we were immediately dismounted by the flock... well this is new. Every time I was dismounted, I would pop a chute and grapple back to my owl. Half the time I'd make it and immediately get dismounted again by the flock, and the other half I'd be struck by lightning and instantly killed before I could get remounted. We had to resort to killing it instead.

So with the new "feature" of dismounting, with it being far too quick, flock doing tons of damage, and being unable to kill the flock from what I have tried (Even wyvern fire/lightning and biting doesn't seem to do anything to them), what are your strategies for taming the titan with only 2-4 people? Shooting from the ground can't expose/hit the nodes, flying up with a tame just dismounts you, and landing on the titan gets you thrown with a barrel-roll.

Is hovering with a Tek Suit really the only solution now?

We tamed it last night with 3 people. When the flock targets you, dive away. 

We had 2 members using tek boots to survive the fall when dismounted and one person used a wingsuit. 

The entire tame took about 20 minutes using only the desert titans lightning.

Edit: just adding that this was all primitive saddles and freshly raised owls.

Flock does apparently hurt. I think they were doing around 500 or so damage to me, in tek armor that has been upgrade to 450 armor each piece. But I can't confirm if that was damage to me or to my owl. Whenever I get knocked off, I would remount mid-air, but the lightning and flock would just hit me again within 5 seconds or less. Maybe because there were only two of us, they don't have any other targets to attack, so they are constantly targeting us. Doesn't leave any time to do anything.

3 hours ago, RasFW said:

The entire tame took about 20 minutes using only the desert titans lightning.

Just to clarify, shooting or attacking the nodes was not needed, and the lightning itself is all that's needed to take them out?

Archived