Crossplay Dedicated Server Becomes Un-joinable After PC Is Idle For Some Time

Hi All,

I recently set up a crossplay dedicated server on my PC for my friends and I to play on xbox, and it runs beautifully except for one minor problem.  It seems that after my PC sits idle for several hours, the server becomes un-joinable.  By un-joinable, I mean that when you view the profile of the silver xbox live account that I use to run the server, the option to "join game" is greyed out.  I checked and rechecked both my network and PC settings (I use port triggering to open the required xbox ports), and I haven't been able to find a problem.  I have an open NAT in both the Xbox app on my PC and on my Xbox, and I've customized the power settings on my PC so that it won't go to sleep, hibernate, turn of the disk drives or anything like that.  The weirdest thing is that when I check my PC  when this issue happens, the server appears to be running just fine and my silver xbox live account is still happily logged into both the xbox live app and Ark...  It's like something timed out and xbox decided that my silver account's session wasn't joinable anymore...  The only workaround I've been able to find so far, is to simply restart the server (which sucks to have to do all the time).  Has anyone run into this issue before?  Here's a bullet point list of my setup, btw:

PC Settings:

• PC is on Windows 10
  • PC connects to the network via ethernet
  • PC power settings are optimized to prevent it from going to sleep, shutting off the harddrive, hibernating, etc.  The only thing it does is turn off the screen after 30 min.
  • Ark play anywhere installed
  • Silver xbox live account (in my gold account's family) is logged into the Xbox live app and Ark
  • Running dedicated crossplay server from Ark game on PC (via Xbox app)

Network:

• Used port triggering on router  to open required xbox ports
  • NAT showing "Open" on both Xbox and in PC Xbox app

Xbox:

• Gold xbox live account is signed into xbox (silver account on PC is linked to this one via the family feature)

* NOTE:  I realize that it sometimes takes several days for a server to appear in the server list in Ark.  It's because of that, that my friends and I have been joining it via my silver account's profile.

Thanks in advance, everyone!

If you haven't already, go into Control Panel/Hardware and Sound/Power Options/Change Plan settings/Change advanced power settings/ and make sure everything is set to never go to sleep or hibernate and maximum performance.

Also, if you go into Device Manager, and go into the Properties for your network adapter, there is a Power Management tab where you can tell the computer to not allow your network adapter to be shut off to save power.

Archived