Question about breeding mutations

ValaRhan

Now I've done some small research and have established that one cannot get a stat mutation without a color mutation..

But my question is: Are 'normal' colors considered mutations?

For example: Parent A is dark brown, Parent B is reddish - can baby who turns up sandy pink (a natural color) be considered a mutation? The stats don't appear to have mutated - or am I reading it incorrectly? Or is that 34 in the Torpidity slot the mutation, since it came from neither parent?

mutation.PNG

Colors and stat mutations come separately if I'm not mistaken.

Torpidity is not a variable stat that you can breed, or even tame for. Torpidity is directly determined by the hatch level of the Dino. In your picture of stats, that baby was hatched different than the level of his parents. higher level, higher torp.

To answer your question directly, no, there is no mutation. A mutation in stats will always be two levels higher than the status level of the parent. If x has 35 in Stamford and baby x has 37, that is a mutation, as long as y parent did not have 37, and the mutation counter reads 1/20. Color mutations work a little differently in that you can have a color mutation without a stat mutation. So if baby x has the same stats as parent x and y, but came out magenta, then that is your mutation in the mutation counter. 

I haven't done any dino breeding since before mutations got added, but I was working on a very specific color scheme for Spinos when I was.

Generally, color inherited directly, so a creature whose dad had red scales and mom has blue scales would get one or the other. It never used to blend colors.

If that has changed with mutations someone else might be able to confirm, but I would guess that sandy pink is a mutation. (I am assuming mutations just grab a random color from the available options)

6 minutes ago, Nokosa said:

To answer your question directly, no, there is no mutation. A mutation in stats will always be two levels higher than the status level of the parent. If x has 35 in Stamford and baby x has 37, that is a mutation, as long as y parent did not have 37, and the mutation counter reads 1/20. Color mutations work a little differently in that you can have a color mutation without a stat mutation. So if baby x has the same stats as parent x and y, but came out magenta, then that is your mutation in the mutation counter. 

Okay, thank you.. Think that clears things up a bit more for me.. just got into breeding recently, so still struggling to learn.. genes don't work the same in ARK that they do in life.. lol Thanks for the help.

One thing worth noting on colors is that there are stacking color tiles on dinos... for example, a pteras wing has 3 color tiles, (the arm of the wing, and 2 stacking colors on the wing itself)... if those 2 stacking   were blue-on-black (looks dark blue) and the other parent has red-on-white (looks pinkish) the offspring may have 4 different combos including dark red or light blue...

this is an example, but it's colors will come from its parents.  Otherwise it's a mutation, and would be reflected by its x/20

I think that was the post I read originally that said that stat and color came hand in hand... but I think it did help me answer my questions.. that foal I'm questioning may actually have a color mutation after all and I'm just not seeing stat mutation cause it wasn't selected... could be interesting. Thank you DThurst and everyone.

11 hours ago, Dthurst said:

So much wrong information being given out... Just read this

Please feel free to link that as it is useful for beginners, but don't discredit other people offering advisement on the subject. At least not in a blanket way, be specific about what information is 'so much wrong info'...

Some of the info in that thread is not accurate and is one persons understanding and in turn is not the bible2breeding. Every person that spends 15mins researching breeding will already have read that. Ive personally spent 100+ hours just researching breeding and a couple thousand hours breeding ingame. I only say this because I took the time to offer a couple minutes of my day to help and have you come along to vaguely discredit the things I say and link a basics thread that literally everyone read 6 months ago.

Archived