[Developer Feedback Request] Tyrant's Breeding Synopsis

tyranttommy

• Volunteer Moderator
3 hours ago, Orion said:

The way Grognak plays is an atrocious part of the game, it enforces players to play and act like douches just because they want to and they actually get away with it.

I read this earlier and did not understand it.  Having re-read it, I am thinking that instead of 'enforces' you meant 'encourages'.  If not, the statement is logicially incorrect.

So, going off of the assumption you meant 'encourages', I don't think the game either encourages or discourages any style of play; it only allows for different types of play.  If it actually encouraged(or enforced) a style, then virtually all servers would be this way, and I don't believe they are; especially as you move into the private server world which runs the exact same software.

Software does not make people play in a certain way, other than within the bounds of what the game can do.  It also does not make people cheat, exploit, or grief.  Those are individual decisions.  Just like it is individual decisions to stay on a particular server or to only play official or to only play private or play single player.

The game is sandbox with open rules(other than no cheating and such).

Additionally, how Grognak plays does not force anyone else to play how they play.  I play the way I want, where I want, and don't feel the need to call anyone directly or indirectly a douche.  Now, if Grognak has the ability to make people play the way he wants them to, then we should be afraid, but I don't think we need to.  Grognak, I hope it was okay for me to say that. :)  

Now, while I can be wrong on this next part, I believe that the servers provided by WC are a courtesy for players.  You are paying a one time fee for the right to use the software, either as single player on your own PC, running you own personal server, running a rented server, or playing on someone else's server(which means you accept their rules); WC is just someone that is providing servers for players to play on under their own volition.  You are not entitled to any more than that, when it comes to the use of the software.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So... To get the thread back on topic a bit :)

After playing on my personal owned server the last week or so I decided to start back on my official pvp server that my tribe and I play on. I noticed yesterday (the first time since the rebalance) that my 150 bred carno had 150% melee damage.

So, my math would indicate that 150/4 = 37 ish.

SO .... that means 37 total skill points were chosen for melee damage from a base of 0....

I really want to understand how a level 150 fresh born carno can possibly start with the same melee damage as a 120. The odds that the +30 skill points NEVER were applied to melee are less than the odds of me winning the powerball last night.... (which I didn't :( )

I am really interested in understanding from a game design perspective what the value is in breeding and raising dinos with this type of information? It clearly isn't worth it but for many of us we enjoy the breeding process so we would like to see things adjusted so it makes sense...

Please advise!

I don't know if this tool has been updated since the grand  "nerf" but it indicates Carnos start with 100 in Damage.

Bear in mind this will only work for unconscious animals before tame.

http://culcraft.com/ark/index.php

Edit:  Just noticed yours is bred - they have a 70% chance to inherit the highest stat from parents.

The spawn of two dinosaurs will inherit the "natural" stat levels of its parents. Natural stat levels are the levels in each stat after it has been tamed but before it gains any stats through leveling-up by a player. There is a 70% chance of inheriting the stronger stat of each parent. This means you have a certain percent chance of obtaining a 100% perfect (meaning with only the higher stats of both parents) dino from both parents quite fast.

8 minutes ago, SallyAnn said:

I don't know if this tool has been updated since the grand  "nerf" but it indicates Carnos start with 100 in Damage.

Bear in mind this will only work for unconscious animals before tame.

http://culcraft.com/ark/index.php

Edit:  Just noticed yours is bred - they have a 70% chance to inherit the highest stat from parents.

This is exactly why I am brining this up. Something happened with the re-balance that broke already bred dinos. I was hoping for some clarification on that. It isn't possible for a 150 carno to only have that miniscule amount of skill ups in melee. The mom alone was a 120 perfect tame with nice starting melee damage and the baby inherited the melee stat from mom (pre nerf).

This is the type of stuff that needs to be sorted so folks don't get bent out of shape, I have a feeling if I were to get two new 120's and perfect tame them and make new babies they would be nice dinos and it would be worth it. Overall though I don't understand the math of what is going on and some actual clarification in the current state of the game would be appreciated :) The wiki's are no longer correct and most of the calculators still aren't completely updated... so a Dev/community mod response here would be nice.

• Volunteer Moderator

The level for babies, from my understanding, is calculated based on the stats the baby starts with; it is not the same as taming a 120 and getting 59 extra level and points.

The stats are directly inherited from the parents, and that stats matter more than the levels.  I recent hatched 3 gigas, and killed off 2, including one that said it was level 100+(don't remember exactly) and kept one that was like level 59, or so, because it had inherited that fathers 155% melee damage; the other two had pathetic 50% or 60%, but slightly better stats in HP and a few othere areas.

In a perfect breeding, the baby will get the best stats of both parents.  If you managed to get a male and female with the best stat of both parents(that is, both male and female have the exact same stats), and bred those, under the current system, you would get a baby with the exact same stats.

13 minutes ago, Jerryn said:

The level for babies, from my understanding, is calculated based on the stats the baby starts with; it is not the same as taming a 120 and getting 59 extra level and points.

The stats are directly inherited from the parents, and that stats matter more than the levels.  I recent hatched 3 gigas, and killed off 2, including one that said it was level 100+(don't remember exactly) and kept one that was like level 59, or so, because it had inherited that fathers 155% melee damage; the other two had pathetic 50% or 60%, but slightly better stats in HP and a few othere areas.

In a perfect breeding, the baby will get the best stats of both parents.  If you managed to get a male and female with the best stat of both parents(that is, both male and female have the exact same stats), and bred those, under the current system, you would get a baby with the exact same stats.

Please read the thread thoroughly before responding. Your reply is about information that is not part of the discussion and it derails the thread. I don't think anybody here doesn't fully know how breeding works.

The question at hand is why did all tamed dinos get nerfed beyond the logical level up progression that they should have been warranted?

• Volunteer Moderator
2 minutes ago, tyrant tommy said:

Please read the thread thoroughly before responding. Your reply is about information that is not part of the discussion and it derails the thread. I don't think anybody here doesn't fully know how breeding works.

The question at hand is why did all tamed dinos get nerfed beyond the logical level up progression that they should have been warranted?

Sorry sir.  I will depart this convo.

Please have a nice day.

8 minutes ago, Jerryn said:

Sorry sir.  I will depart this convo.

Please have a nice day.

I know I probably came across rude, I apologize I am a pretty direct person and am just looking for a logical convo. If I offended you, that was not my intention. I updated the OP with some more details. Feel free to comment!

The screenshot is fresh, I just took it while Barny is growing.

Isnt my 1st carno I bred after the nerf.

Sure stats are lower now than before the nerf happened, but they are still high (for example melee dmg went from ~485 down to the 327.5)

Another one (carno) I bred after the patch, but this allrdy matured. But as you can see on his XP - I didnt leveled him up so far.

92d7a3c5b4.jpg

21 minutes ago, sAd said:

The screenshot is fresh, I just took it while Barny is growing.

Isnt my 1st carno I bred after the nerf.

Sure stats are lower now than before the nerf happened, but they are still high (for example melee dmg went from ~485 down to the 327.5)

Another one (carno) I bred after the patch, but this allrdy matured. But as you can see on his XP - I didnt leveled him up so far.

92d7a3c5b4.jpg

Ok, so to clarify. You are showing me breeding post patch. My point is that the stats on a dino that was bred before the patch are impossibly low after the patch. I'm sure I can breed now and get hire stats that isn't the point though.....

So in the stat relevel, your melee only dropped 100% ? Mine dropped 350% See the problem here?

The parents were tamed before the nerf.

After nerf their stats got a bit lowered. (Not talking about the level points I spent on different stats - talking about the natural stats after tame before leveling)

Babies inherit their lowered, but still high, stats.

So in other words. If the natural stats were high, they are still high, just not as high as it used to be.

If they are now low, then they were low from the beginning. (compared to real high stats)

And well, it didnt dropped by 100 %, it dropped my ~160%, which is roughly 68%. Which should fit, since health & melee got lowered and a bit buffed then.

And dont forget, Im only talking about fresh hatched/tamed stats - no level points spent

14 minutes ago, sAd said:

The parents were tamed before the nerf.

After nerf their stats got a bit lowered. (Not talking about the level points I spent on different stats - talking about the natural stats after tame before leveling)

Babies inherit their lowered, but still high, stats.

So in other words. If the natural stats were high, they are still high, just not as high as it used to be.

If they are now low, then they were low from the beginning. (compared to real high stats)

And well, it didnt dropped by 100 %, it dropped my ~160%, which is roughly 68%. Which should fit, since health & melee got lowered and a bit buffed then.

And dont forget, Im only talking about fresh hatched/tamed stats - no level points spent

Of course we are talking about the tamed stats, that's the basis of breeding, level up points don't count. :) 

Your info makes sense, what I have identified is that the baby I raised the day prior to the patch lost far more than 68%. That is the issue, im sure breeding moving forward will be fine but my already bred dinos have stats that dont make mathematical or probable sense...

4 hours ago, RadioActiveMan said:

as others suggested.  read the wiki on breeding.

Stats are based on the stats of the parents, with a small chance for mutation on some stats.  (mutation witnessed first hand with my babies)

My post has nothing to do with how breeding works... it's about how tamed dinos were effected by the nerf....

49 minutes ago, tyrant tommy said:

My post has nothing to do with how breeding works... it's about how tamed dinos were effected by the nerf....

Actually it does have something to do with it, just you are already familiar with the workings of breeding. Your concern though is that since the nerf that the breeding of pre-nerf tamed dinos seems to have gotten some odd side effect of the nerf if I'm following this thread correctly?

2 hours ago, RevenantKitsune said:

Actually it does have something to do with it, just you are already familiar with the workings of breeding. Your concern though is that since the nerf that the breeding of pre-nerf tamed dinos seems to have gotten some odd side effect of the nerf if I'm following this thread correctly?

Yes! It's the fact that a fresh adult 150 born carno only has 150% melee this should not be possible. I don't need to discuss parents I have those stats, it dropped by much more than 100% after 231 hit. The other consideration is how on earth can a dino with 100% base only gain 50% in 4% intervals over 150 levels. Statistically improbable.  . ... highly improbable  ... something isn't right

Archived