[Developer Feedback Request] Tyrant's Breeding Synopsis

tyranttommy

*Please no more replies about how breeding works*

Greetings friends,

I know I have had my share of negative posts on the forums after 231 but I want a solid and clear response about what the vision for this game is from the devs team.

I have been playing for over 500 hours on official pvp only. My first few weeks my thatch house and dinos were leveled, then my wood base and dinos were leveled and I about quit the game out of frustration. The folks on server 61 convinced me to stay and give it a shot a bit longer and they helped me build a stronger base.

After my first impressions I started to learn about kibble and breeding. This got me really excited and I made plans to get a few females and a male of each dino so I could get eggs for kibble. Then I got my first 120 perfect kibble tame, pteranadon. I bred her with another players perfect male for a trade and got the egg. I was so excited! Hours looking for the 120 bird and all of the other time invested was well worth it! 

Needless to say I had only gotten about 25% of the way to get the dinos I wanted and my tribe was wiped due to a member in our tribe doing something without our knowledge that caused the alpha tribes to wreck us.

We started over on a new server. About 8 of us total were in it together now and we developed a beautiful farm which in the end now we can tame about anything at 120 with kibble.

All but me in the tribe aren't playing after 231 hit. I'm struggling with sticking it out too. I don't enjoy that my epic bred dinos can be easily lost now. If I'm not focusing on breeding the best of the best war dinos what am I supposed to do? I just don't understand the point of breeding anymore.... it takes a Really long time with a negligible pay out... I bought a private server to play how I want but for some reason I'm drawn to my public server base and really just want to go back to having fun like we did before...

Tl:DR : I've experienced a lot of good and bad in this game and now am at a loss with the point of end game breeding. What is the vision of how the balance should be for a dino that takes 10-15 hours of dedicated attention to create? I don't know what to do in the game now.

Edit: Hard Facts that need addressed:

Breeding Changes

Details: Pre 231

Carno Breeding

Mom 116+34+59 (209)

Dad [unknown origin] (88)

550% melee

225%

2800 HP

3200 HP

Pre nerf

Baby Carno 150

550% Melee

3200 HP

Post 231.7

Baby Carno 150

150% Melee

1700 HP

If carnos start with 100% melee base then my baby carno only gained 50% melee which is 12ish skill ups in melee over 150 levels.

This is not possible, something is broken.

We want the broken problem acknowledged and resolved.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Samula said:

Do not play on a PvP server, Sorry but that is the only answer.

PvE servers are extremely fun. Hosting a private server from nitrado is also very much worth it! Server cost starting at 13$ a month https://server.nitrado.net/usa/rent-gameserver/ark-survival-evolved

I have no issues with PvP and i own my own server... my issues are with the vision of the game and the intent of dino farms and breeding... :P

Well if its the amount of time needed to be spent in breeding, farming, taming etc, you can increase the time it takes to do everything. Breading 2.0 will add the option to increase breading time.

Its a survival game so the idea is to grow you things from scratch, In real life you cant just say "God, Can you please make my son a adult now so I dont have to deal with him" Haha, Hope this clears things up and I hope you enjoy everything the game offers. Please keep a open mind! ^_^

1 hour ago, Samula said:

Well if its the amount of time needed to be spent in breeding, farming, taming etc, you can increase the time it takes to do everything. Breading 2.0 will add the option to increase breading time.

Its a survival game so the idea is to grow you things from scratch, In real life you cant just say "God, Can you please make my son a adult now so I dont have to deal with him" Haha, Hope this clears things up and I hope you enjoy everything the game offers. Please keep a open mind! ^_^

I love the breeding process, and the ability to have so many different animals for eggs, the question at hand is why on earth would i spend 2-3 weeks of gaming to make one dino for it to be barely better than a prime tamed 120... its a slap in the face to my game play style and I want to understand the vision from the developers for this.

12 minutes ago, Samula said:

Breeding does not work that way, Please consult the Breading Wiki for more in depth information. 

http://ark.gamepedia.com/Breeding

^_^

You do realize you just linked me a source that I have contributed to right? LOL in what "way" did you think I was referring to breeding? I specifically am talking about the massive time sink of breeding that now has a negligible reward. Did you read my post or are you trolling me for fun?

I get what he's saying. He's wanting to ask the Devs what they feel the intention of this game is now. Much of what people did before do not work in a time cost/reward friendly fashion. Breeding is one of the big things that took a hit in the rebalancing. Just give it some time and hopefully the devs will get things adjust to where it feels worth the time again.

1 minute ago, Martyn said:

I remember have a discussion playing Ultima Online nearly 20 years ago.. saying exactly what you just did.  That ultimately pvp will come to allow any level of deprivation.   Scamming players, Ganking (2 or more v 1), Overwhelming (killing someone repeatedly) killing, Jailing people, Extortion, Racketeering.. you name it.. eventually games will allow it.   This is the core reason as to why I stopped playing pvp.  I didn't want to become that kind of player.  Not saying that you are, but once you step into the dark...

"Once you let the darkness in it never truly leaves"  I'm always worried playing on pvp servers because of things like this. I'm not a highly skilled player by any means, but even if I were I don't think I would like continually making players miserable just for my own benefit.

I've been in the dark...

My tribe is the ALPHA tribe on our server, everyone knows us, and we've taught every other tribe on the server to Identify targets before attacking, or your base gets leveled.

We don't raid people either, we do our own thing. But we've been attacked by tribes who THINK they are tougher, and by morning there is nothing standing in the area that was their base...

We don't demand payment for being on the server. Not yet anyway, the other tribes think they can band together to take us down, but we have over 300 plant X's and 20 turrets armed and ready (I know because I planted every, single, last one of them...)

1 minute ago, Orion said:

I feel like the Developers are right in their decision.
They didn't want their game to be Ark: Dino Farming Simulator!
They want a survival game that's mostly based on the players.

Most of us agree that the dinos needed nerfed. Most of us also agree that the nerf bat took a few too many swings on the tamed dinos. The devs are fixing it though and I hope they find the sweet spot where everyone can be more happy/accepting of where things end up.

39 minutes ago, Orion said:

If they didn't want farming as a potential option I don't think they would have put in crop plots or breeding to be honest.

I think a lot of people are missing the point of this post.  He isn't complaining about pvp so much but the nerf to dino's.  The last patch essentially made our dinos worthless in combat.  While I'm solo player I tried to take my 45 dire wolf caving for the first time and he nearly died on the first pair of bats.  So I see what he is saying...why spend hours upon hours breeding and taming dinos when they have lost a significant amount of HP and can be dropped by a few rifle bullets or some wild dino?

11 hours ago, Orion said:

I love farming simulators! This game is a lot more Pokémon: Jurassic Age though. If you played the most popular farming simulator you wouldn't say these games are alike at all.

Why don't we let the developers let us know what they think the game should be? IMO what sets this game apart from all other survival games is the fact that you can tame dinos to support you. With a GIANT time investment you can have very powerful dinos too (not anymore).

If this game was truly supposed to be like DayZ but with dinos vs zombies why would we be able to tame them at all? Why have dinos with bonus abilities that make gathering faster? Why have breeding as an option to improve a genetic line of dinosaurs? Why have kibble and eggs and all of the different things developed for taming dinos? The game development has been focused around taming and breeding dinos since I started playing a couple months ago.

What you are saying is that the big change has [correctly] focused the game away from all the things I list above and back on just the players. What I don't get is why focus on the things above if the intent is to have dinos be little more than a slight advantage?

Again... I just don't get it.

I want to understand the logic behind doing all of the work to breed lvl 200+ dinos but have them be so weak that a level 120 kibble tame is nearly just as good.

12 hours ago, Martyn said:

I don't think you'll get a personalised reply. 

I think also you know full well the answer to your own question.   It is hard in any game, worse in irl, to get up after getting knocked down.  Many people just stay down.

Takes alot of willpower to get back up and keep fighting, esp against overwhelming odds, like an established alpha tribe.  Pvp doesn't have rules and I think really, unless you are in a big tribe on a pvp server, breeding is kinda pointless.  You'll never get to keep the benefits of it.  Eventually someone will wipe you out and it'll all be lost.

On a Pve server however, once you've learned to live with your neighbours.   Breeding can be interactive, once a baby reaches juvenile you can pin code a feeding trough, ask friends to help feed the baby whilst you rest.  Some dinos really need 2-3 players in a tribe to raise, I think it is immorally and unjustifiable to expect a solo player to raise many of the dinos in breeding by themselves.  It is feasible with prep to tame a giga.  Thus 2 solo, thus a mated pair, thus breed them.  Currently it takes 1 day 4 hours for a Giganoto baby to reach juvenile.   Thus, Wildcard are expecting a solo player to stay awake for an entire day, which is actually dangerous to their health. 

Sleep deprivation has killed hundreds of people over the last 2 decades, from playing computer games for too long.

The reality, is you do what you can, within the scope of your own game.  You have to set the ground rules and keep to them.  4 hours play then a rest.  No more than 8 hours a day, no more than 16 a weekend etc.. depending on your circumstances.  Thus this limits what you can and cannot do.

I spend 2 hours every day maintaining my base.  That's all I do.  Maintenance.. seems almost pointless.

My post really isn't about my personal experience with getting wiped, I don't care about starting from nothing anymore and getting wiped isn't a big deal to me. To be honest I love getting attacked and going through epic battles its the best part of the game.

The question at hand, was, and continues to be, what on earth am I supposed to do with my breeding farm now that it isn't worth breeding dinos? I would prefer to just prime tame stuff if its going to be disposable....

Well they need to address one of multiple issues to fix this because currently the amount of time it takes to do any tame really isn't worth the reward.  Currently our dinos or only good for gathering and packing materials.  Combat has kind of been ruled out with these changes.  Nearly lost my argent to a few bugs and compy the other day.

1)  They need to reduce the tame time on all counts.  If they want to make our dino's paper thin they need to be replaceable.  A lot of players on my server don't even bother with egg/kibble farms since the time it takes to build those up and collect the eggs is far longer than just doing a prime meat/berry tame so they need to drastically lower the meat and berry taming methods.

2) Or they need to rebuff the dino's and get them closer to their previous state

3) I personally like this option the best.  Someone on reddit suggested wiping the whole level system and giving the dinos innate stats and skill trees i.e. a bleed damage perk for raptors.  This would solve the issue of O.P. raptors taking on a Giga or a Rex(and compy taking down a tame) and would allow the balance to be better while letting us create a somewhat unique tame for ourselves.  Obviously this would require the most amount of coding, testing, and time so it may not be viable but I think it is the best solution.   

3 minutes ago, Wollzy said:

Well they need to address one of multiple issues to fix this because currently the amount of time it takes to do any tame really isn't worth the reward.  Currently our dinos or only good for gathering and packing materials.  Combat has kind of been ruled out with these changes.  Nearly lost my argent to a few bugs and compy the other day.

1)  They need to reduce the tame time on all counts.  If they want to make our dino's paper thin they need to be replaceable.  A lot of players on my server don't even bother with egg/kibble farms since the time it takes to build those up and collect the eggs is far longer than just doing a prime meat/berry tame so they need to drastically lower the meat and berry taming methods.

2) Or they need to rebuff the dino's and get them closer to their previous state

3) I personally like this option the best.  Someone on reddit suggested wiping the whole level system and giving the dinos innate stats and skill trees i.e. a bleed damage perk for raptors.  This would solve the issue of O.P. raptors taking on a Giga or a Rex(and compy taking down a tame) and would allow the balance to be better while letting us create a somewhat unique tame for ourselves.  Obviously this would require the most amount of coding, testing, and time so it may not be viable but I think it is the best solution.   

This is what I don't understand. "OP Raptor taking on a giga". Lets really evaluate this if it truly were an issue.

Giga Level 1:

Vs Raptor Level 1 = raptor dead

Vs Raptor level 100 = raptor dead

Vs Raptor level 200 = Raptor nearly dead but possibly kill the giga

Giga level 40's (the only giga I have ever fought)

Vs Argent level 200 = Argent almost dead giga seeming to be undamaged, I retreated. This was a month ago too.

OK

Archived