Challin's Ark Adventures - The First Day

ChallinWake

The following stories will be based on my adventures and experiences in the wonderful world of Ark.
These stories are completely true, just with a little added flare to make it interesting.

I hope you guys enjoy them and if you'd like to read more, lemme know. :)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chapter 1: The First Day

I woke up suddenly. I had no clue where I was. I yawned and stretched my arm, then I noticed it. A little gem on my forearm, it almost looked like some kind of implant. I had no idea how it got there as I frantically scratched at it. It seemed to be attached to my bone, so I begrudgingly forgot about it and looked around. I was on a beach somewhere, the sun beating down on my almost naked body. I was only wearing underwear which, apart from modesty, did nothing for me for the intense heat beating down on me. I looked around trying to come up with my next course of action. I figured, since I was in a survival situation, I should attack it like those survival shows I used to watch. I grabbed a nice sized nearby rock and went up the beach towards the treeline. I found a small palm tree and broke it down, peeling the thatch off and breaking the wood apart. I then walked over to some fibrous berry bearing bushes. I plucked a few red berries and ate them. They tasted fine and I figured they were better than nothing. I also pulled some of the fibrous materials from the bush and, using the fiber as bindings, fashioned a makeshift pick. Using my newly aquired tool, I broke off a nice flat piece of flint from a large rock nearby. I went and got more fiber, as well as some red and blue berries (both of which were edible), and made a hatchet. Taking this hatchet to a tree, I made quick work of the small palm. I soon found I could make quick work of all the palms on the beach, gathering a nice pile of wood and thatch. I spent the next half hour or so gathering wood, thatch, fiber, and berries. I had a plan... I was going to make a simple thatch hut to live in, supported by wood and held together with fiber. It wasn't gonna be pretty, but it would work.

It took a little over an hour, but my hut was done. It wasn't pretty, but I was proud of it. The hut was comprised of two rooms, with a small porch area. It served its purpose well enough, as I had tightly knit the thatch on the roof to keep water out. I began exploring my new area around me, now armed with a makeshift spear and clothes woven from the fibrous berry plants that seemed to be in abundance around here. I walked further outside and began looking around, that's when I saw it... a chicken? No, that's not quite right. It had the body of a chicken, but the similarity stopped at the neck. It had a bulbous head and a big fat misshapen beak. It looked like some kind of Dodo bird. It was walking around aimlessly, making an annoying squawking sound. I felt almost sorry for its pitiful existence, the thing had zero self preservation instinct. I walked right up to the ugly little guy, he paid me almost no heed except for changing his path to avoid colliding with me, which even that he only half attempted most of the time. I figured meat was meat though and, giving it a quick death, sunk my spear into his head. Using my hatchet to peel the hide away from its meat, I gathered what I could and took it with me. I soon found more of the dodos and made quick work of them. After gathering my bounty of meat and hide, I took it back home and had myself a nice feast. Then I had my first encounter with another person since I woke up here. He was a friendly character, albeit a little ugly. He was short, and had huge muscular arms and thin legs. He introduced himself as "Big Bubba." I commented on the name and we had a short laugh. He said he also woke up here and asked if I had also established a home. I showed him my hut, with a few makeshift chests, a campfire, and a cooking pot. He said he was based just down the beach and across a river. He asked if I'd like to join up with him and we could live together. I thanked him for the offer but declined, opting to stay solo for a while. I didn't want to have him bear the burden as I felt like I wasn't quite as well versed in survival as he was. He said it was no problem and decided to head back home before dark. Before he left, he told me to keep away from the forest until I had better gear with me. He claimed there were raptors and giant bugs and other awful nightmares residing in there. I almost scoffed at the idea, before I realized that if a Dodo bird could exist again here, so could anything. We said our goodbyes, I gave him some food for the road, and he was off.

Night fell, and I found I couldn't sleep. I could hear far off roars and howls, clearly the creatures Bubba had described existed. I heeded his warning and planned to steer clear of that forest for as long as possible. I used some of the fiber, wood, and a bit of flint and fashioned a quick torch. I went outside to look around. I noticed a few more of the Dodos, as well as some large duckbilled dinosaurs and a few giant turtles. I walked past all the friendly creatures towards the water. I found out that the water, that appeared to be ocean, was actually fresh water and perfectly drinkable. I had a few gulps of the water and turned back around, noticing another bright torch and saw a scuffle happening between two people. I went closer and saw it was Bubba and some tall skinny person. Skinny was wearing clothes made of hide and was brandishing a makeshift club, chasing my new friend down the beach. I ran over, brandishing my spear. Just as he knocked Bubba unconscious and was looting his bag, I thrust my spear at him. I struck a blow on his shoulder, ripping through his shirt and alerting him to my presence. He moved forward and turned as I went in for another lunge, this one meeting him in the cheek. I drew blood across his face as he lashed back at me with the club. It connected with my head and I saw stars. Not wanted to risk him knocking me unconcious with that thing I walked back as I continued thrusting at him. He knocked my spear to the side with the club and came at me. We soon passed Bubba and were near his torch. I called for Bubba to wake up, but it seemed he was out of it. The man struck another blow to my chest, knocking the wind out of me. Fearing for my life, I made a last ditch effort to kill the attacker. I thrust once at his throat, he dodged it and was only nicked on the shoulder. He swung at me, but I moved to the side, dodging it. As he was falling foward with the force of his attack, I stabbed for his throat one last time. It sunk in, and blood spewed out onto my hand and arm. His lifeless corpse fell to the sand as he let out one last gurgled cry. I went over to my friend Bubba and roused him. He woke up and looked at the corpse. "Good work dude," Bubba said to me, "I was worried he'd have both of us." Bubba walked to the corpse and began digging through the man's bag, recovering his items and gaining some new. "What happened?" I asked Bubba. "Why'd this guy attack you?" Bubba laughed and sighed at the same time. "I forgot, you're a little newer than I am." Bubba began, "That guy is a raider. A bad person. They've been here for a while, there's all sorts of them on the island. They've basically become lawless savages." He finished getting his things and said he'd be heading home. He needed to begin making walls for around his house. He suggested I'd do the same. I thanked him for the advice, and we said our goodbyes once more. I worried for my new friend, but he assured me he was only caught off guard and would be more careful.

I was shocked. My first day here and I had already seen what sort of society, or lack thereof, existed on this island. How long would I be here? I wondered. I needed to find a way off the island. I went home to my shack and cooked more dodo meat. After eating, I decided to lay down in my makeshift sleeping bag. I nestled in and, albeit rather uncomfortably, I finally fell asleep.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That's the story describing my first few hours of Ark. I hope you liked it, I wanted to make it sound more interesting than it really was. If you enjoyed that, I plan on writing many more chapters. From my humble beginnings as a fresh spawn on the beach to a member of one of the most powerful alpha tribes in the server. Thanks for reading!

Good start. You might expand on what he was doing before whatever happened that resulted in him entering Ark. Also, one should write assuming that the reader has never seen or played Ark before.

Don't be afraid to revise and update the story. My fourth adventure, now called Ark, The Adventure Continues Complete Revision, has evolved a lot from chapter 16 on from a confrontation with an Alpha Wyvern that has to be killed in battle, to a confrontation that ends up with her becoming the best of friends. Both versions have been posted along with two alternate endings.

Do post screenshots where they add to the story.

y2g4r4z.jpg

Archived