Should PVP Servers Be Wiped or Not (Stawpoll)

TGL

In the last couple days there has been a lot of talk about the duping issue with a few threads blowing up and hotfixes and rollbacks rolling out trying to avoid a full wipe. So lets take a look at both sides of what ive seen arguing for and against a full wipe.

FOR:

People want the impact of the duped items gone, seeing as the effect of them has spread beyond control already. Unfarmable Metal bases, rockets, server raids, etc. A fresh start. In all honesty most people quit because of how "stale" most servers have become, it reached a point in the game where most average tribes cant touch the bigger groups of tribes.

The nerf of quetzal farming, no longer would people have these insane things thrown up in a matter of hours, itll take a few days for more organized groups/bigger tribes. Without it now, all these pre-existing bases take quite a lot more time than it would have previously. The game is a slower paced game now.

Cross Ark Transfer, with cluster servers being introduced, it would seem WC has the intention at least in some eyes to have full open transfer. A wipe would be a good way to encourage this inclusion of full transfer. If that be in cluster only groups, or full cross ark.

The OP Fishing and Jump Puzzle blueprints and items tribes got. The first day of fishing yielded stupid high tier items such as 700% longnecks, Pikes. 300 armor saddle bps etc. Same with the jump puzzle on the center. 600% launchers, 900 armor flak headpiece bps. (Idea from user @Andeeeeh)

AGAINST:

The amount of work people would lose. Granted as coming from a very large tribe myself with alpha on quite a few servers, i can see the amount of work that would be lost at its greatest. Thousands of hours poured into the game just to be poofed away.

What if another big dupe comes out, wipe again? Theres no guarantee that another big dupe if not a larger one, though hard to imagine, comes to light which could cause even greater problems than this one did.

The lack of ability to test new items/tek tier upon release. I can see why some people would be concerned about noone being able to actually USE tek tier when it drops, aka high enough level, requirements, materials, etc. For the average player this is probably true, but most larger tribes would be able to reach this, granted that causes imbalance when its only in a few hands.

Let me know your thoughts. Personally i am for this wipe, even have 20+ 100% imprinted gigas and quetzals in my tribe, countless bases, turrets, endless hours of farming for all of it. We have so much to lose, but yet so much more to gain. Everything can be rebuilt, retamed, and refarmed. I personally think more players would come back if a full server wipe were to occur, many a good players have left due to "bad" alpha tribes that wipe their thatch huts endlessly. Duringa new wipe noone has lv 390 purebred argents, or lv 350 quetzals to dominate a server so easily.The game rewards time investment so heavily, and its been so long that the investment is almost too untouchable. Granted no base is unraidable, no tribe unkillable.

Strawpoll- (Vote Im curious)- https://strawpoll.de/161sfg3

24hour Edit 

•  

63.61 % Yes (764 votes)
  •  

36.39 % No. (437 votes)

1201 total votes.

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not sure they care about our opinion.  About a month back I saw a straw poll with 1,000+ votes asking what players wanted most in game.  Among the choices: new dinos, new gear, new biomes, new maps.  Want to know what OVERWHELMINGLY beat all these, and had like 75% of the vote?  Optimization.  Yet, the game still plays like crap.

1 minute ago, GoldenGonzo said:

I'm not sure they care about our opinion.  About a month back I saw a straw poll with 1,000+ votes asking what players wanted most in game.  Among the choices: new dinos, new gear, new biomes, new maps.  Want to know what OVERWHELMINGLY beat all these, and had like 75% of the vote?  Optimization.  Yet, the game still plays like crap.

If they care or not is not my intention, its to see how much of the community agrees/disagrees with what im saying, with the recent posts bringing a lot to light. Im just wondering what the overall mind of the playerbase is thinking.

5 minutes ago, GoldenGonzo said:

Optimazation is still coming and is a different thing entirely. 

I'd rather not see the EA charts again where optimazation comes last.

And I play on Xbox, which is a far inferior machine as PC players would say. And the game runs far from crap.

Time to vote !

My vote is for. Reasoning, aside from the duping glitch which seems to have effected a lot of people. A wipe was needed. Servers were low pop, ruined bases everywhere, one strong tribe that raided new people(as what I saw in my travels) no one wants to start fresh on a day 4000 server. I think all duping aside, it will bring many more players BACK then the players that will LEAVE.

Being the leader of an alpha tribe I say don't wipe until release. Once the game is fully released a wipe would be necessary due to all the dupes and many other exploits I could care less to mention. That being said, I will no longer play Ark and move to another game once a wipe (or if I get wiped before then) happens.  

3 minutes ago, CriD said:

Optimazation is still coming and is a different thing entirely. 

I'd rather not see the EA charts again where optimazation comes last.

And I play on Xbox, which is a far inferior machine as PC players would say. And the game runs far from crap.

Time to vote !

My vote is for. Reasoning, aside from the duping glitch which seems to have effected a lot of people. A wipe was needed. Servers were low pop, ruined bases everywhere, one strong tribe that raided new people(as what I saw in my travels) no one wants to start fresh on a day 4000 server. I think all duping aside, it will bring many more players BACK then the players that will LEAVE.

I agree, theres a lot of people who quit because of these people who inherited their power from fights long ago, most who had no part in taking their servers. Theyre generally abusive alphas which do run rampant in a lot of places. I know a lot of people who just dont play either because end game, or the server they played on the alpha became oppressive.

1 minute ago, iHEARTyou said:

Being the leader of an alpha tribe I say don't wipe until release. Once the game is fully released a wipe would be necessary due to all the dupes and many other exploits I could care less to mention. That being said, I will no longer play Ark and move to another game once a wipe (or if I get wiped before then) happens.  

I see where youre coming from, it hurts to lose a lot, i just like the idea of everyone getting a fresh start to the game.

7 minutes ago, TGL said:

I see where youre coming from, it hurts to lose a lot, i just like the idea of everyone getting a fresh start to the game.

I agree with you, but now isn't the time. WC is still releasing end game contents such as tek tier etc... They will need the current players who's capable of testing out all the new items and dinos. If they do a wipe now and release tek tier, who will test out all the features and how it functions in PVE and PVP? That's why I said, not now, but once the game is ready to be released, a wipe would be good.

10 minutes ago, iHEARTyou said:

I can understand your reasoning on this. On the same note I can name off quite a few players that would happily return to the game because they feel that it's become stale or they're tired of alpha tribes. Mind them, I'm in an alpha tribe and invite them to come play in one all the time.

A wipe is the ONLY way that no one party will benefit more then another in any situation. Duping or otherwise. @iHEARTyou

It would suck to lose all my tribe has done. The blood and sweat.  But its EA, there was a serious issue, and a wipe is the only way that everyone is EQUALLY taken care of. The current band aid of "make benches and other things stack at 1" hurt people who had nothing to do with the dupe. I lost 4 chem benches, I'm on Xbox, and didn't even know the dupe could be done on Xbox. Metal still stacks at 200, so the dozens of vaults filled with metal, or explosives, or rockets, they will not change. They can't. The damage has been done and seems for the most part irreversable.

9 minutes ago, CriD said:

A wipe is the ONLY way that no one party will benefit more then another in any situation. Duping or otherwise. @iHEARTyou

It would suck to lose all my tribe has done. The blood and sweat.  But its EA, there was a serious issue, and a wipe is the only way that everyone is EQUALLY taken care of. The current band aid of "make benches and other things stack at 1" hurt people who had nothing to do with the dupe. I lost 4 chem benches, I'm on Xbox, and didn't even know the dupe could be done on Xbox. Metal still stacks at 200, so the dozens of vaults filled with metal, or explosives, or rockets, they will not change. They can't. The damage has been done and seems for the most part irreversable.

I feel you, a lot of players in my tribe have 4k+ hours in the game, thats a lot of time spent grinding out levels, farming, taming. But it does need to be done.

As someone who has 4000+ hours and has played from the near beginning of ark and has done it all and had it all. I think a wipe is needed. It would be a great opportunity to reduce the amount of servers there is as currently there are tonnes of server just sitting there with <10 all the time. New tribes starting up within the last few weeks would of been extremely hard due to the quetzal nerf, thus meaning it will be near impossible for new people to somewhat catch up to people already established.

22 minutes ago, TGL said:

I feel you, a lot of players in my tribe have 4k+ hours in the game, thats a lot of time spent grinding out levels, farming, taming. But it does need to be done.

You can power lvl players if you have decent hours in the game...

Its not hard to do...

And tbh if you are in a alpha tribe this would be a god send tbh....

Because trying to make it to the top is what its about the ones they have are the ones that have more then 1 server and dont want to lose there hold on multiply servers..its just that period.

Because they wouldn't be able to call in 15 to 20 other players from other servers....

Because that's how most of them have gotten to where they are.

2 minutes ago, Blackzilla said:

As someone who has 4000+ hours and has played from the near beginning of ark and has done it all and had it all. I think a wipe is needed. It would be a great opportunity to reduce the amount of servers there is as currently there are tonnes of server just sitting there with <10 all the time. New tribes starting up within the last few weeks would of been extremely hard due to the quetzal nerf, thus meaning it will be near impossible for new people to somewhat catch up to people already established.

The issue of these servers with 10 players in there is if you got in a alpha tribe was wiped by my above statement period...

That's how it works,and most will cry if there servers are taken away from them.

How can anybody catch up if dupers have vaults full of metal bars and much more..

The answer is you cant.

10 minutes ago, Blackzilla said:

I agree, it needs to wiped, i have over 4k on my main characters account, noone can touch people with the quetzal nerf, not to mention the dupe items.

9 minutes ago, Smash said:

I think 90% of the people who need to vote in this poll won't even know about it because they were ESP'd off the servers months ago and are no longer following the game.

I'd be very surprised if the VDD flying monkeys don't just IP bomb this poll with no votes when they find it.

EXACTLY imagine the amount of people who would come back with a wipe since this happens.

I think if there are an untold amount of tribes out there with an unknown amount of duped gear, it is hardly fair/worth playing against them at this point, the patch was a quick fix but most of the damage has already been done, bases built, benches demo'd, Paired with the quetz having a much slower gathering rate any tribe that is not established  will have a very hard time getting anywhere on an official server.

I've played on rust servers during dupes, and I get it that it sucks to lose your stuff, but it sucks even more to lose your things to exploits.

3 minutes ago, Gr0knik said:

I think if there are an untold amount of tribes out there with an unknown amount of duped gear, it is hardly fair/worth playing against them at this point, the patch was a quick fix but most of the damage has already been done, bases built, benches demo'd, Paired with the quetz having a much slower gathering rate any tribe that is not established  will have a very hard time getting anywhere on an official server.

This, the ones in the post yesterday were just the ones who openly shared it and talked about it. Theres probably a hundred or more other tribes that kept silent about it, and have all these mats stored away or recrafted already

Also on another note, wildcard thought that lowering the stack count to 1 for large crafted items would let this dupe slip under the radar. So say these tribe didn't break any of the duped items down into crafted resources yet and let them sit in their vaults. As the pictures that have been going around they had 150 full stacks of grinders and with the new patch this leaves them with 150 grinders for an example. By breaking those grinders down this is the resources they can get from it. 

Metal Ingot           240,000
Crystal                  150,000
Cementing Paste  60,000
Oil                         45,000
Polymer                45,000

====================

Chem bench is around 18,500 of each main material as well including electronics.

This is a crazy amount of duped resources wildcard have basically just let slip under the rug so to say. They really do need to draw the line and wipe the servers. If they let a dupe go on for so long they have a valid reason to wipe servers.

Archived