Hosted "friends only" server

Sorry if this has already been posted. I looked around a bit and didn't find the answer. So, I created my own hosted server but have treated it like SP as I've only played alone and have no allowed any other players into the server. A buddy of mine has now gotten the game and wants to play. Is there a way to make my existing game world a "friends only" server where my buds can join but no other players? I have a bunch of supplies and a giant house on herbivore island which I don't want looted and destroyed. lol

Give it a password and only add your friends as friends on the server profile. They will have to join by the server name.

5 minutes ago, DirtyHarry said:

Sorry if this has already been posted. I looked around a bit and didn't find the answer. So, I created my own hosted server but have treated it like SP as I've only played alone and have no allowed any other players into the server. A buddy of mine has now gotten the game and wants to play. Is there a way to make my existing game world a "friends only" server where my buds can join but no other players? I have a bunch of supplies and a giant house on herbivore island which I don't want looted and destroyed. lol

Theres something else you can do as well. In the server settings one of them known as "structure resistance" on the first settings page. Changing this value to 0.0 will make ANY structure nigh on indestructable (includes wild dinos when they are kited to your base). Also enabling "Offline raid prevention" will add to that protection level. Off course just remember to close any doors and not have anythign of high value on your person incase you get some "unwanted" attention :)

Thanks, guys. I'm still learning a bit more and have some questions if anyone who reads this knows the answers and cares to help me out. From the menu screen, you obviously select "host" and at the bottom left you can select "single player". To the right of that you can select "dedicated server". At first I was very concerned that if I selected that I would lose everything on my single player game but, you can choose to keep everything and carry it over or not. But, if I'm not mistaken, I think the non-dedicated server is only up for your friends to play in as long as you too are logged in and are actively hosting. I noticed on the top right of the screen you can select "non-dedicated server".

So, I'm not sure I understand the difference between dedicated and non-dedicated in this case. But, more importantly, all I really want to know is simple. How can my friends and I set up a private server where we can all come and go as we please to play whenever we like regardless of whether or not our friends are online? In other words, we would like to set up a private server which is always up. How would we do this?

I really do appreciate any help ya'll could offer. Thanks in advance!  :-)

15 minutes ago, DirtyHarry said:

Thanks, guys. I'm still learning a bit more and have some questions if anyone who reads this knows the answers and cares to help me out. From the menu screen, you obviously select "host" and at the bottom left you can select "single player". To the right of that you can select "dedicated server". At first I was very concerned that if I selected that I would lose everything on my single player game but, you can choose to keep everything and carry it over or not. But, if I'm not mistaken, I think the non-dedicated server is only up for your friends to play in as long as you too are logged in and are actively hosting. I noticed on the top right of the screen you can select "non-dedicated server".

So, I'm not sure I understand the difference between dedicated and non-dedicated in this case. But, more importantly, all I really want to know is simple. How can my friends and I set up a private server where we can all come and go as we please to play whenever we like regardless of whether or not our friends are online? In other words, we would like to set up a private server which is always up. How would we do this?

I really do appreciate any help ya'll could offer. Thanks in advance!  :-)

Ohhh... you have to have another Xbox to host a dedicated server. I thought that was what you were asking about.

The short answer was provided by InfernoHack. The long answer is this:

- A dedicated server requires a second xbox to run the required map and only to run it. You will be unable to play on that xbox. In my case I bought a second xbo, live account and copy of the game.

- None-dedicated servers will allow you to both run and play the game on one xbox but with the problem of those who are connected to you (the host) not being able to move more than (I think) 250 metres from you. If they do then they'll be dragged back inside the tether distance.

Although it is a bit of an expensive way to get your own server, if you have the cash to outlay it can be well worth it. You do get the benefit of having your own private server, but without the tether aspect of a non-dedicated server. If you find you don't want to go about getting the second xbox etc.etc. then see if you can find a player dedicated thats up all the time (or as close to 24/7 as possible. Anyone who tells you they have a 24/7 server must have some serious cooling for the second xbox as the heat generated from leaving one on can be quite high) and send the host a pm or some other message.

If you do decide to get start your own player dedicated then theres plenty of people here who should be able to help. Myself included.

11 hours ago, Woodsplatypus56 said:

Anyone who tells you they have a 24/7 server must have some serious cooling for the second xbox as the heat generated from leaving one on can be quite high) and send the host a pm or some other message.

Actually my dedicated xbox stays fairly cool and it's on 24/7. The xbox I use to play on, on the other hand gets pretty hot.

Thanks for the replies, folks. While the answers weren't what I was hoping for, they were indeed helpful and accurate. I'm afraid a second Xbox isn't in my future. I've a son in college and my next tech purchase will be the VR kit for his PS4. Alas! Although, the silver lining is, dear 'ol dad will also be having some VR time too.  ;-)

34 minutes ago, DirtyHarry said:

Thanks for the replies, folks. While the answers weren't what I was hoping for, they were indeed helpful and accurate. I'm afraid a second Xbox isn't in my future. I've a son in college and my next tech purchase will be the VR kit for his PS4. Alas! Although, the silver lining is, dear 'ol dad will also be having some VR time too.  ;-)

If you and your friends want to come play on my server you can. It's pretty laid back with an over 18 crowd.

My friends and I are salty old dogs with strong opinions. All Army vets and middle aged. A "basket of deplorables" one might even say. You know, "clingers", and gun toters. I tend to cuss like a sailor and, if I'm gaming on the weekend, I'm probably drinking. In fact, if it's not the weekend, I'm probably not playing any video games. I'm not sure you would want us. :-(   lol

21 minutes ago, DirtyHarry said:

My friends and I are salty old dogs with strong opinions. All Army vets and middle aged. A "basket of deplorables" one might even say. You know, "clingers", and gun toters. I tend to cuss like a sailor and, if I'm gaming on the weekend, I'm probably drinking. In fact, if it's not the weekend, I'm probably not playing any video games. I'm not sure you would want us. :-(   lol

LOL!!

That's funny. If I'm gaming I'm usually drinking also, and I too cuss like a sailor. :-)

It's up to you, message me on GT "doornumber2" if you change your mind.

2 hours ago, doornumber2 said:

LOL!!

That's funny. If I'm gaming I'm usually drinking also, and I too cuss like a sailor. :-)

It's up to you, message me on GT "doornumber2" if you change your mind.

I may do that, if I can remember to send a friend request to ya. Just in case I don't, you're welcome to send one to me. My XB GT is: DTW Dirty Harry

• 6 months later...
On 10/25/2016 at 7:05 PM, Woodsplatypus56 said:

The short answer was provided by InfernoHack. The long answer is this:

- A dedicated server requires a second xbox to run the required map and only to run it. You will be unable to play on that xbox. In my case I bought a second xbo, live account and copy of the game.

- None-dedicated servers will allow you to both run and play the game on one xbox but with the problem of those who are connected to you (the host) not being able to move more than (I think) 250 metres from you. If they do then they'll be dragged back inside the tether distance.

Although it is a bit of an expensive way to get your own server, if you have the cash to outlay it can be well worth it. You do get the benefit of having your own private server, but without the tether aspect of a non-dedicated server. If you find you don't want to go about getting the second xbox etc.etc. then see if you can find a player dedicated thats up all the time (or as close to 24/7 as possible. Anyone who tells you they have a 24/7 server must have some serious cooling for the second xbox as the heat generated from leaving one on can be quite high) and send the host a pm or some other message.

If you do decide to get start your own player dedicated then theres plenty of people here who should be able to help. Myself included.

I just purchased a second Xbox to run my own server. I have a few friends that play but I was thinking of allowing some new ppl to join l. What's the best way to setting up to allow my friends to connect to the server?

is it as easy as just adding them to my friends list on the server xbox? 

Any information would be very helpful.

thank you...

Yep. It really is that easy. After they add the server account to their friends list they can join as long as its online. Be warned though that there was a bug that caused connecting issues, so my advice would be the same as I told my regulars. Get them to run the game on their own xbox and load to the main menu, then go to their friends list and connect. If they receive a black screen bug (it still allows them to see things such as their dinos names and quick action bar then they may need to hard reset their xbox.

Archived