Punny

Suggestion

(Edit) I wanted to thank everyone for the support that they've shown for my submission idea for Extinction. It was an absolute joy to see how many people ended up liking the idea, more then I thought would! I wish the best to our top 10 contestants, you all have put such amazing work into your submissions! Even if there's only one winner, seeing the creativity of the community is always a blast!

Introduction 

Greetings Survivors! I wanted to explain my process for this submission. I chose the Vulpes Quizhudingu due to Vulpes’ Genus adaptability. I think it's a suitable creature that could possibly find a home in every biome allowing it to be an accessible early/mid-game tame. In essence, it would bring something new to the entire map instead of being constricted to a singular spot.

In this design, I wanted to express “sci-fi”. In a similar way to the Gasbag & Snow Owl. It is meant to feel familiar to an earth fox but the Corruption/Obelisk made its evolution alien to our concept of it. Extinction’s Element corrupted its form, mangling it into something more biomechanical. Thus, it possesses unnatural abilities. I drew inspiration from kitsune folklore (tails) to add that fantasy element most extinction creatures have.

2FFlo7EGZlD2JKyxrAvdbk2suK9Z4h1F4SZo_GRx8ErUTJFx6HGW_phPVYMcF4-tdy2kmgOxTWkGSAkrwBQKPIr1FqCnbEPGgOvYI64JgJKHAPNXEyLacyLZ2gajBA6SVhoOmvsopUyFUD6oDL1Vu-I

(Extinct: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vulpes_qiuzhudingi )

Wild

In a similar way to the Bubo Chinookus (Snow Owl), the Obelisk seems to have influenced the Vulpes Quizhudingi's evolution and survival. It appears to be an unnatural convergent evolution of the Vulpes genus. It can adapt to any temperature making it the sole creature on the ark that can be found in every biome but the wastelands. 

While it is a solitary creature by nature, it can be found with a bonded mate and pups. From my time in the field, the Vulpes seem to be a brilliant and inquisitive creature. I have seen them get into an array of amusing situations with Dodos. They don’t seem to hold any initial hostility toward survivors. If threatened, the Vulpes discharges a potent harmful gas from the gland ring around its neck. If the threat doesn’t succumb to the topor, it will relentlessly lash out its tails to knock back and cripple the enemy with the sharpened ray needle tips. 

Domesticated

The Vulpes Qiuzhudingi is a versatile mount. It doesn’t require a saddle to ride and it seems to be able to regulate the survivor’s body temperature in extreme weather. As a land mammal, it can travel at a decent pace for an extended period. Its ability to climb and leap allows it to be an explorer's best friend. 

While the Vulpes Qiuzhudingi possesses an amount of bulk, it is far more suited for combat support and utility. I have seen survivors coordinate a pack of Vulpes to disrupt enemy formations with noxious gases. Dedicated survivors have managed to make a tek saddle that allows the Vulpes more maneuverability and the ability to drop an array of bombs as it runs around the battlefield. 

Creature Overview

The Vulpes Quizhudingi is a versatile support/travel mount. While it may be extremely weak in melee damage (10 base damage at lv 1, slow growth), it will make up for it in decent health, good stamina and great speed. Due to its narco berry and stim berry diet, it can be immune to narcotic topor. Finally, It can harvest Narco/Stim Berries, Acerbic/Auric Mushrooms and Meat

Coloration (For Breeders)

Due to the Vulpes inhabiting multiple biomes, an individual will have a fur pattern that reflects it. Its corrupted coloured veins can potentially be any colour on the spectrum giving a creature more individuality (even if it isn’t reflective of the biome). I’d suggest the corruption can glow in the dark, giving the Vulpes a unique night-time appearance. 

(Any can interbreed and pass off their colours to their offspring)

Snow Biome would reflect the Artic Fox (Quizhudingi descendant)

Desert would reflect the Fennec Fox

Sanctuary would reflect the Red Fox

Sunken Forest would reflect Bat Fox/Silver Fox

Examples

JyboM9aC-soa6QC5Z0WgcWiqveP7q12oSlC0iEbuEhD2sAJjHi4ve8_his56Lf-BcdKLxwzESEsczQCizD782pHiT2wMFPRQtapnd6jdNNdS_qthMrBmfFTzWyH2omCRncL9wnmGzwCO9in2nsB0KNg

More Exotic Corruption Colors:

1uCmENH64aho6bE9_rN-N9-a4talS3fkojFjwqo_kHF5qsIv6IKfqSoWVFBC9QevsS44x-Ak2LOrzBXSU8s6J9fSDpqaLKz3pD_sOKYbkOi3w_C6Un6CaWyajx3NSlAOaJSOBN7nhcHZ4eaJL5Wg-2M

Potential Offensive Abilities

Noxious Gas: The Vulpus “Noxious Gas” is discharged around it. It will remain in place for 5 seconds creating an area of effect. Any non-allied creature trapped within will be slowed and be inflicted with one of the following: 

Tranquillizer Gas: At the cost of 50 Narcoberries or Acerbic Mushrooms, every enemy creature and survivor without a gas mask will gain a significant amount of torpor. 

Hallucinogenic Gas: At the cost of 50 Stimberries or Auric Mushrooms, every enemy creature that **isn’t** ridden by the survivor will be stunned for the duration. Any creature ridden by a survivor and any survivors without a gas mask will have their stamina drained by 5%. 

Aromatic Gas (Optional): At the cost of 30 Giant Bee Honey, every allied creature that can provide a buff such as the Yuty, and healing such as Daedon will have their effects boosted for the duration. 

The Vulpes “Noxious Gas” is determined by the 1st usable item. For example, if 50 Narcoberries follow 50 Stimberries it will unleash the Tranquilizer Gas. 49 Narcoberries followed by 50 Stimberries will unleash the Hallucinogenic Gas due to not meeting the Tranq Gas requirement.  

Weakness: To prevent spam, the Vulpes ‘Noxious Gas’ can be activated in 4-second intervals. If a creature exits the gas, the debuffs end.

Inspiration: https://allthingsfoxes.com/do-foxes-smell/   

Tail Sweep & Tail Tip: Like the “Reaper King”, the Vulpes tail sweeps a complete 360 around itself, knocking back enemies. Furthermore, the corrupted needles at the tip of its tails can be aimed and fired to inflict 3 seconds of bleed. Its long-ranged attack speed can be compared to the Reaper King’s needle attack.

Predatory Pounce: A reflection of the Vulpes’ hunting style, it functions identically to a raptor pin. It can hold on and bite down on a creature of its size and smaller. 

Potential Passive Abilities

Weather Immunity: When riding a Vulpes, the Survivor’s body temperature is stabilized. As a result, it will negate any debuffs from heat/cold.

Slow Stamina Drain: The Vulpes is a versatile travel companion able to cross a variety of terrain. It can climb, leap and run without breaking a sweat. However, it doesn’t have fall damage immunity

Reference for the climbing: https://allsouthpestcontrol.com/can-foxes-climb-trees/#:~:text=Just%20like%20in%20the%20canine,and%20bark%20of%20a%20tree   

Chatty, aren’t you?: Interacting with the Vulpes (press C) while it is unmounted will allow it to vocalize to the survivor, displaying 1 of 3 playful animations. It is a necessity to fill the desperate need for adorable companionship.  

Optional Idea, Survivor Detection: The Vulpes can detect survivors (alive and corpses) within a radius as long as an implant is in its inventory. Alternatively, it could track down allied tames that may have been lost. In both cases, it will signal by wiggling its ears and highlighting the survivor or tame. (Parasaur-like)

Potential Tek Saddle Ability

Charged Jump: At the cost of element, the Vulpes can choose to charge its jump/leap, allowing it to knock back surrounding enemies for a clean getaway. 

Bombs Away!: The Vulpes’ Tek Saddle possesses a compartment that can store up to 8 ammunition. By pressing B, it will drop a bomb behind it in an attempt to shake off any pursuers. Once no shell remains, it must be manually reloaded. 

List of items: Grenades, Poison Grenades, Cluster Grenades, C4, Tek Grenades, Tek Gravity Grenades, Glow Sticks, Oil jars, Plant Species Z Fruits

Resource Location: (Element Powered, Slow Drain)

Accessed by choosing the search option in the radial menu. The Vulpes can use its enhanced biomechanical senses to locate nearby resources and elemental nodes. Once located, it will highlight the location. (Similar to the Parasaur detection radius, but it remains on until you run out of element or turn it off)

Mortar Pestle: It can craft Narcotics, Stimulants, Bug Repellant, Lesser Antidotes, Propellant, Sparkpowder & Gunpowder. 

Taming Method

IT IS A PASSIVE TAME

Once the Vulpes notices a survivor, the creature will take a few steps forward towards them. It will let out a curious vocalization. 

1. If a survivor chooses to run towards it, it will release a Tranq Gas and run away.

2. If a survivor decides to take out a weapon or run at it with a weapon it will turn aggressive, defending itself.

3. If a survivor walks away from it, it will lose interest and resume its wild behaviour.

4. If a survivor throws any food (a bonus with honey, narco/stim berries, mutton) it will run to eat it. 

Once fed, the Vulpes will maintain a distance from the survivor. When it vocalizes, feed it. When the taming effectiveness is at 20%, it will follow the survivor and start phase 2.

(Phase 2) In intervals, it will bring a resource to you (90% random food items, 9% primitive items, 1% Dodo) and the survivor must take it and offer it food to boost affinity.

(Phase 3) At 80% taming progress, a prompt will appear for the survivor to mount the Vulpes. Choosing to mount it will boost 80% to 90% of taming progress. In a similar way to the Equus, its ai will roam independently to the survivor (however, it will attempt to avoid hostiles when possible, choosing to run away). When its tails seem to wag, a prompt to pet it will appear (2% per). It is the shortest phase, due to the Vulpes excitability to have gained a trustworthy friend.

Thank you for taking the time to read! I’m open to feedback, but, I want to try to keep a similar concept rolling!

A special thank you to my friends, Astergoat and Other Community Members for reviewing/idea-storming on a few abilities!  

This will be its first and last appearance in the voting submissions.

Edited by Punny

20 replies to this server topic

9 minutes ago, ArthurChad said:

also if it doesn't win can you please make it return on other maps

Unfortunately, I don't think I could make this specific design work on another map, but, I know that the fox will return with other people's ideas. But it warms my heart to hear, i'd love for something cute to win too (and just something we don't have in the game yet genus wise) 

Thank you for the support, it means a lot 

4 hours ago, Punny said:

Unfortunately, I don't think I could make this specific design work on another map, but, I know that the fox will return with other people's ideas. But it warms my heart to hear, i'd love for something cute to win too (and just something we don't have in the game yet genus wise) 

Thank you for the support, it means a lot 

i feel you could get the design to work on either of the genesis maps

13 minutes ago, TheBatmanHulk said:

This is such a good design and description hope it wins . Don't know how to vote my first time voting

You vote by clicking the up arrow near the 31 vote, I appreciate the kind words! I don't think it will win but I'm happy to have at least tried!  (if it doesnt work for the vote it might be because you havent posted enough comments on the forums yet) 

On 9/3/2023 at 6:01 PM, Punny said:

You vote by clicking the up arrow near the 31 vote, I appreciate the kind words! I don't think it will win but I'm happy to have at least tried!  (if it doesnt work for the vote it might be because you havent posted enough comments on the forums yet) 

This is my first few comments so maybe Edit: voted 

Edited by TheBatmanHulk
  • Like 1