Sauroposeidon Omniscience, the Radar that sees All

DoctorHoatzin

Suggestion

Towering above the forest, looming over the Arks and high above your head stands Sauroposeidon Omniscience!

Often found in small groups of two or three, Sauroposeidon spends its time living in marshy areas with plenty of plants for it to eat. They like to spend their time around trees and water, so swampy areas or other wet places like beaches and lakes are where they will most often be found.

Touted as one of the tallest sauropods ever discovered, Sauroposeidon lives up to its name by being a massive animal that makes the largest predators look like compsognathus skittering around below it. Its intimidating stature means that anything in its way is likely to make room, for fear of being crushed in its wake. While not the heaviest of the Arks' titanosaurs, it makes up for its "lighter" status by being much more vigilant to approaching threats.

With its towering height, Sauroposeidon is able to see farther than any other land-dwelling creature, which gives it plenty of advantage when it comes to watching out for predators - or survivors. In groups, their ability to see any approaching threat is extended, increasing the radius that they can detect danger. When a Sauroposeidon spots a threat, it bellows out to inform any other nearby creatures to flee (or fight, if they would be neutral to the threat). Considering Sauroposeidon is not the fastest animal, the advantage of knowing exactly where its natural threats are is essential to its survival. While Sauroposeidon can see more than any creature on an Ark, it doesn't exactly see better than anything. Plants and grasses tend to blend together, so Sauroposeidon will see anything that looks like a bush as a bush (ghillie!). If Sauroposeidon has trouble scanning its surrounding with its long neck, it has another tactic for finding any threats. Using a "seismic sonar", Sauroposeidon can use its weight to stomp the ground it stands on, sending out shockwaves that can detect any living thing around it that is moving around on the ground. Sauroposeidon will know exactly what is around it, and exactly where it is at the time the shockwave reached it, as long as it is moving. Anything that is not moving is much harder for the sauropod to notice, and it assumes stationary objects to be rocks or other natural formations. Any creature close to Sauroposeidon when it brings its foot down will be sent flying away a short distance, making it a useful technique not just for surveillance, but also for defense. Any tribe would love to have a Sauroposeidon to keep an eye out for enemies or predators.

Taming a Sauroposeidon is a tricky task, as they are constantly on high alert. If a survivor manage to approach one without startling it, they will have to earn its trust by bonding with the giant. Waves of predators (increasing in quantity/difficulty depending on level) will spawn trying to attack Sauroposeidon, and it's up to the survivor(s) to defend the animal. Taming effectiveness is determined by how quickly waves are cleared and how many threats manage to reach the Sauroposeidon. Anything that gets close may be stomped on by the towering titan, so survivors would be wise to clear out any predators quickly, and to steer clear of those tree trunks for legs! Once all the waves are cleared, the taming process is complete.

When tamed, Sauroposeidon acts like a sentry array, constantly watching for danger. Survivors will have the option to scan for other creatures, hostile creatures, other survivors, or anything that moves. The benefit of Sauroposeidon's height is that it can track larger, closer creatures most precisely, constantly revealing their position to its tribe (think Tek helmet visor), but anything beyond a certain point will just be marked (Parasaur alarm). Having multiple Sauroposeidon will increase the radius that creatures can be detected, and also slightly improves accuracy. When equipped with a saddle, a small camera will be placed in the muzzle on its head, allowing for a connection to a Tek Surveillance console. This will allow survivors to accurately track anything the Sauroposeidon can see. If equipped with a Tek saddle, Sauroposeidon's threat-detecting abilities are greatly enhanced, allowing it to track all creatures on the Ark (like S+ Transmitter). The Tek saddle has a built-in surveillance console that functions the same as the regular saddle. Sauroposeidon will still have the ability to slam its foot into the ground to send out a seismic wave and detect threats for its allies. The radius of the stomp can be increased by leveling up Sauroposeidon's weight stat. Once a threat has been detected, the tribe can decide through Sauroposeidon's radial menu how they want the situation handled: flee, fight or wait. Sauroposeidon will let out a bellow to whistle groups of the tribe's creatures to take out the threat, run from it, or stand and be ready to fight.

While not exactly built for combat, Sauroposeidon is still an enormous animal that can do a lot of damage if it throws its weight around. It's height makes it difficult to do anything with its neck, but its tail can still be swung around to do damage. On top of that, it can use its weight for more than just scanning the ground: one heavy step can do a lot of damage to anything caught underneath of a Sauroposeidon. Anything that survives the crushing force of its foot will be knocked away.

(I am not the best artist)

20230807_192949(1).jpg

20230807_193833(1).jpg

Edited by DoctorHoatzin

6 replies to this server topic

Ahaha I love your art style XD
I was recommending using the tek console to someone else and I stand by this, but that you also included advantages for owning several is really a nice touch. I can only imagine a forest of long necks around someone's bases !
Is there any way at all to escape its radar ? Cloaking or something else ? I feel like that's the only thing it needs, unless I didn't see it.

5 hours ago, ladyteruki said:

Ahaha I love your art style XD
I was recommending using the tek console to someone else and I stand by this, but that you also included advantages for owning several is really a nice touch. I can only imagine a forest of long necks around someone's bases !
Is there any way at all to escape its radar ? Cloaking or something else ? I feel like that's the only thing it needs, unless I didn't see it.

I hadn't really thought about it at first, so I went back in and made it harder to detect things. Ghillie suits and standing still help the approach.

• Thanks 1