✨ Calvapilosa-The Supersonic Drug Slug! ☄️

NnjaChicken

Suggestion

Co-Contributors: StarJackalope & Tricky Ricky

It turns you into spiderman and feeds you drugs!

iR48JQ2tKIuAaEjROgu1MMp2423UvfHRiL7cKTtuk_I-NDIpK0JZW4NeWAH9QT_U_5NjwviheugvbZ93nubreLa-YeniMF9ctEaNLTppnMrGyapxZywxZThSwFGWlhYv7p9kH-bG-abo44a74Hx4ztM

Why Choose Calva? (TL;DR)

The goal of Calva is to foster a more enjoyable experience throughout the game. It does this by striking a satisfying balance between fun, fresh, and practical. Calva is meant to not only be useful on The Center but all maps in ARK.

Calva is a skill based movement tame, QOL taming aid, and living IV drip. Calva essentially turns you into spiderman, acting like a bloodstalker in backpack form (Calva is a shoulder pet), shooting mucus to propel your character through the ARK. It is also a sanity saver by being an automatic narcotic feeder to keep tames asleep. Not only can it feed items to your creatures but also to your survivor! The idea is Calva will help your character survive by feeding it stims, med brews, soups, food, water, etc. 

pyhigk2X9IPx1Vfjc2ra_dC8usdy6fDcIjxr28DVB8vTToemQZpnF0-w3gtZ9IeDHlb-8jxuyuFQRKfx0yKoTpKK4usYXrqmIGOAIIO3Ma8h4w1BxHQ4HHUGEtLcgZeDI4DEFXrXdBmGjMqewM-fOLE

Continued…

The thought process for Calva is similar to what the Sinomacrops was to Dinopithecus. Sure it’s not as flashy as the Dinopithecus but boy is it useful and fun. The design for this creature takes heavy inspiration from modern day Nudibranchs. Nudibranchs are toxic sea slugs with impressive displays of color (Calva will be land based however). Similarly, Calva will be able to excrete toxins and tonics to help your survivor throughout the game.

The bloodstalker is one of my favorite creatures in ARK. It has awesome movement abilities. However, they can feel quite clunky or even unusable in small spaces. Calva is meant to fit in that niche. Calva has the silk movement abilities of the bloodstalker but in a more compact package. Furthermore, Calva will save you grappling hooks!

The exact look of Calva is not so important to me as is the general idea, that is bright and colorful. Hence why I have multiple options above. It would also be awesome if it could glow, nothing crazy like a glow pet but similar to the way that Aberrant creature variants can glow. This would also tie in well with the underworld vibe where it spawns. The lines Calva uses to move will also glow.

Abilities

YhAsW5wRF3NuYDBUzEIjKcqYnrmhTBy7rsecHA54Mo1oJTMsc_w4-6aTJP-80IVDhuOkIxxHPDW2M4gX7NVxVzGOtnhRh9roAImd2pNYH1IbKnOcsJs93VZZLHO2aqJpxtqweCQ60V0IK_PeLcLTDU8

Living IV

It can feed your character consumables to keep you alive! Place consumables in Calva’s inventory and it will automate the rest. Low on HP? Calva’s got med brews. Low on stam? Calva’s got energy brews. Feeling sleepy? Calva’s got stimulants. Hungry? Calva’s got food. Thirsty? Calva’s got water. You get the idea. 

This has a lot of potential for chaotic situations when you want to focus more on movement or fighting rather than watching your meters. This ability can be accessed via the radial menu for Calva (including while it’s attached to you). Similar to the Daeodon’s auto heal option, Calva will have an auto feed option. This concept also applies to taming wild creatures which is explained below.

ZY7TQHOkkbbfY9yMxYUs6ySKV_gmouTx9fzkSquL8kj1aVmCp5QS2jc4vmRS5ZKVODAoWiDr6cBH1cFEqtoXwo5Hl26Ed2rM0ikiRbRvJDkk12xpZ63MxGxIl26gBeHW7Nc8aQkbzK8uayMu7zwlEYw

ry1DcPoBQ8JW8ZFB8jLRSegNODmlWZXwpObcjHvS7jgWVbsyL1r9bxWR1BElgFKI1yBizReY8mynld7E8mEjtSFVxlaMQw6qSo6i2_uYj55s8PCNZyqaBeBwo2E1Mhl4MdfuCLlddEzbKOgfV0X_Wt4Sfk9khOJbMjO9Ku6QS4_J04wa7copN4SCWQquDwJEnKQNpTQv7T3xBDPIIVubnRePQBX-e5Eur2q9Usm_yjNV97-IUMSqnMZ3MiEWONL4A_wxU02NfdmPe8u1xmxp0vBnRqWWTf-DkFPlkfzJ5dhP5U

Travel In Style 😎

Calva is amazing at movement! Calva is a pocket sized version of the bloodstalker and can shoot 2 mucus lines at once. With this ability, you are able to traverse many types of landscapes and small spaces with ease. This tame is perfect for navigating the overworld, underworld and redwoods. The Center has lots of stone pillars covering it, these are perfect anchor points for Calva! With the slug equipped you also take reduced fall damage - due to the slime of the slug cushioning your fall. This all culminates for a fun and satisfying travel experience. Like any shoulder pet, you will be able to use weapons and tools while it is attached.

It has skill based movement where you can do flips and tricks to gain movement speed and stam similar to the hoversail. The idea here is that Calva is slower than the bloodstalker at base but it can get faster than the Bloodstalker as you land more tricks. Think of this similar to the damage difference between Gigas and Charcas. 

he8ZhTr4RsgOyCf29OA0C9d9PyRssM43PWX1eBjn6XevhDi9FqTcg2jmKsN3EjMWOGp9Vy2QJK6t68baCfSR9LbdOD5OAhrqyXGOKhVJ_dyq7UzOszFTsJ6EPmDsiS4mYvRY0sKVDAzwAqC_6AnHfCY

Automatic Narcotic Feeder

Calva can be attached to unconscious creatures while taming. From there, it can inject narcotics placed within its inventory. As the taming dino’s torpor drops, Calva will keep it asleep by feeding it narcotics for you. I’m imagining this will work similar to the Noglin. Calva is on your shoulder. You look at a valid target. The crosshair turns green. You throw Calva and it attaches to your target. Simple.

Taming Efficiency Saver

Calva can act as a taming efficiency buffer by absorbing damage taken to knocked creatures it is attached to. Calva will absorb as much damage as it has health until it is killed. This gives Calva a use for creatures that have low torpor drain and might not need any sedatives. Calva will still be useful for peace of mind.

Taming

1. Consume Broth of Enlightenment 

1. Calva will only attack when you have this buff active, the idea here is to stop wild Calva from getting annoying when you don’t want to tame one. 

2. This is also somewhat difficult to make which adds to the taming experience. 

2. Approach Calva

1. Calva can be found in caves and the underworld parts of the Center.

3. It takes you for a Joyride

1. Calva will latch onto your character and begin swinging you around.

2. During this time, Calva will begin applying torpor to you in an effort to put you to sleep… and eat you. 

3. Calva will apply torpor in the form of feeding your survivor biotoxin, which it naturally produces.

4. Stay Awake

1. Calva will be swinging around while it's attached to you. It will periodically land for a brief time at which point you have a window to consume stimulants. 

2. This timing aspect should feel similar to taming an Equus. 

3. This taming process will be more forgiving to those with higher fortitude as it will take less stimulants to tame.

4. For each missed stimulant consumption you will lose taming effectiveness as well as be more likely to pass out and be killed.

5. Taming Complete!

1. If you stay awake long enough, Calva will be tamed!

2. Higher level Calva will apply more torpor to your survivor, to build trust and thus be tamed.

Notes

My idea for this taming method is that it's more or less the opposite to the traditional taming method. The creature tries to put you to sleep rather than the other way around. Stimulant, as far as I know, is not directly involved in taming any creature either. This taming method also ties in well to how the creature functions when tamed.

Calva is a slug and thus prefers damp places. Calva will spawn in the underworld and cave regions of the Center. Calva can be found clinging to the walls and ceilings of these environments.

Abilities Continued

These are some other ideas I had but they are not as important as the previous ones.

Water Boost

Calva is based on a sea slug after all. Your character gains a small swim speed increase with it attached, somewhere between regular swim speed and flippers.

Taming Grapple

Able to grapple creatures and stay attached even after aggro. This can be helpful for taming creatures that flee. The idea here is you can use bolas/net guns to trap things temporarily and when those timers are up you can still keep up.

Zipline 

Calva can make temporary mucus ziplines. As well as allowing the player to slowly inch up ziplines. 

Sticky Lines

The worm can also make sticky lines that can be used to slow enemies.

Backpack Buff

Adds +50% inventory weight directly to your character's weight stat while equipped.

Parachute

A mucus parachute can be activated every so often with a cool down.

Biotoxin Farm

Calva will passively produce biotoxin. The Achatina can make paste and the Tuso can make oil, so why not give the other mollusc some passive production.

Balancing

First off, and what you are probably thinking, Calva is NOT meant to replace the Bloodstalker.

• slugs cannot shoot mucus as far as the Bloodstalker

• slugs have much less HP than a Bloodstalker

• slugs are at base slower than that Bloodstalker but do have much better 

handling for small spaces

• slug lines glow and are easier to spot but… it's also really cool :D

• Calva can’t directly climb walls

• Calva can’t double jump

• Calva can’t walk on water

• Calva doesn’t eat you when it’s low HP

IV ability - This has the potential to be OP 

• Med brews and blood packs could have a cooldown between feedings

• There could be a cooldown after taking damage before Calva will start healing you

Notes

It’s also worth mentioning that when the Center map releases, Bloodstalkers will not be released yet. It will likely be several months before Genesis releases. 

I don’t see the soups or food/water being much of an issue balancing wise but I could see the healing aspect getting annoying in PVP situations. It’s hard to say. Calva isn’t doing anything new here, it's just automating something players would normally have to do manually. 

References

(Calvapilosa kroegeri) 

https://www.livescience.com/57768-ancient-spiky-slug-explains-mollusk-evolution.html

https://hoopermuseum.earthsci.carleton.ca/gastropoda/fossilrecord5.html

https://slugterra.fandom.com/wiki/SlugTerra_Wiki

Used some images and gained some concept inspiration from this show. 

https://openart.ai/

Used to create some images. 

Glaucus atlanticus - from GETTY IMAGES used as base image for AI.

mLA25k3smXGqcszazIc25mNfHH1XTm_8FKRl5LHQokad2GgMsYj-wQhweiU7m6Sq8u0Tm5CMO3lt2N67xNKYDXz59bbFG_C7tyJZhWFYIs_BRb5aMtsbI47YtfMCYFJlHGReeAru8f086l8otdVw1gE

Edited by NnjaChicken
  • Like 1

33 replies to this server topic

22 hours ago, RosePetals said:

This looks like an amazing creature but seems a little OP and I feel like it gets rid of some of arks basic brew mechanics that are needed to keep the game level.

I agree, it def has the potential to be OP. I think for the soups like fria curry it wouldn't be a problem. It would a quality of life change that you would have to time/pay attention to otherwise. 

For med brews it's another story, like you are getting at. I think cooldowns would be necessary to stop Calva from making characters too hard to kill. I'm thinking in the same way meat has a slight cooldown for carnivores in ARK.

Edited by NnjaChicken