Iberosuchus | The Charge Boosted Crocodilian

Grymheart

Suggestion

TLDR: Iberosuchus would be a mid-late game traveling tame on par with if not stronger than a thyla. My personal favorite way to gear the creature and give it a niche would be a buff derived from eating chargebugs, being around glowpets, or eating biotoxin (to extend its utility to other maps). 

Iberosuchus_c.jpg

Concept art by riskybiscuits0485

Creature Info:
Name: Iberosuchus
Diet: Carnivore
Time Period: Lutetian Age | Mid-Eocene 
Temperament: Neutral / Aggressive 

Behavior: Iberosuchus does not regard any small creatures or players as worthwhile food and as a result will ignore them. With this said, assuming the beast is docile because you saw it playing with a bulb dog would be a mistake. When around creatures it deems as suitable prey or a threat the Iberosuchus will become extremely aggressive. This response seems to be provoked by any creature larger than a parasaur or being attacked. The exception to this is charge bugs and cnidaria which it loves to consume.

Taming:
To tame an Iberosuchus you have to both earn its trust and prove to it that keeping you alive is more beneficial for it.

You initiate this process by eating any kind of meat while near the creature on foot which will get its attention and cause it to begin approaching. Then you hand feed it a meat of any tier or biotoxin. When the taming process is locked in the taming effectiveness will start out low as the Iberosuchus becomes aggressive towards you. The crocodilian will then proceed to chase you as its effectiveness goes up. During this process it will occasionally become docile again and approach at which point it is safe to feed them again. This process will continue until the effectiveness is 100% which signifies the Iberosuchus accepting that refraining from turning you into a chew toy is more beneficial. After this song and dance it becomes a standard passive tame.

Abilities and Saddle Features:
Shooting off the Back: An essential ability for a reliable travel and battle tame, you can shoot off the back off the Iberosuchus.

Charge Affinity / Love of Biotoxin: While I did bake this into its taming a little bit, for an aberration focused travel creature it would be incredibly beneficial if when in a charge light it gains a buff similar to but probably weaker than hydration (because you can have it up more reliably). To give this creature an option on other maps, biotoxin in its inventory can have the same effect when it eats it. This buff can activate when around wild light pets or having eaten a charge bug/Cnidaria.

Immunity to Cnidaria Stun: I am on my hands and knees begging for something else that resists the stun lock of death. 

Shoulder Pet Passenger Seat: Moving into saddle features, to assist in keeping a charge on your new friend they have a built in seat on their saddle for an additional glow friend. However, any shoulder pet can be placed into this slot and curl up on the front of the saddle for whatever hellish experience your cave run might put it through. Some potential ways this could get used when not glow pet focused is bringing an extra otter with you just in case, deploying that pesky micro raptor off the back at a fleeing or attacking enemy player, or doing a drive-by theft with a pegomastax. Also an additional reason for it to not attack smaller creatures, for whatever reason even when wild it just seems to know not to attack possible future friends.

Shoulder pets can’t be damaged off the saddle by wild dinos or tames but can be snipped off in PvP like a player.

Player Position: One smaller but unique advantage is when sitting in the saddle, the player is almost laying down being a little harder to snipe off the back.

Other Ability Concepts worth mentioning:
Damage Resistance: With an armored crocodile like hide the Iberosuchus can shrug off a percentage of damage not directed at its underbelly. Which may indicate why it prefers not to hunt smaller creatures in the wild. (There is a mod with a similar concept that I forget the name of off the top of my head, but did want to mention this wasn’t 100% my own idea) 

Bleed and/or Picking Up Tames: I know people love the concept of a croc with bleed damage or being able to carry things around so it definitely deserves a mention. Additionally the ability to be the only tame able to pick up and temporarily keep cnidaria alive in its jaws and run at an enemy to stun them is also really funny to me.

Wall Climbing: For a well rounded travel tame on aberration wall climbing would be really useful.

2 replies to this server topic