Suggestion

Name: Sugar Glider 
Species: Petaurus breviceps 
Time: early-mid Miocene period 
Diet: omnivores 
Temperament: Ebullient

387px-Petaurus_breviceps_Gould.jpgSugarglider_hp.jpg
(1863 illustration by John Gould)

Aberration can be a difficult map to get started on, it can be difficult to traverse around as it’s terrain varies a lot in height a lot from all the different biomes, from the underground to the surface and everything in between. Early game there isn’t many options besides the use of ziplines or gliding suits, so this idea was to help with early game traversing. I got inspired to suggest the sugar glider when I came across two fan made dossiers by Interface5 and Seria602 which I will include below.
I thought it would fit super well into aberration especially and surprised I hadn’t seen them submitted before in any of the other creature submissions.

Wild
They are commonly known as Sugar Gliders due to their love for sweet and sugary foods such as sap and nectar. There ability glide through the air aid them in reaching their preferred food and evading enemies. These gliders can launch them self from trees enabling them to glide 50 meters or more. They are more active during the night and tend to take shelter during the day in tree hollows. Its size cannot be ignored as it is several times larger than its pint-sized counterpart. They are very social pack animals; it is very unlikely that you would find one alone.

Domesticated

With them being unable to fly they make up for it with their amazing climbing and gliding abilities which make great to traverse the ark. Besides their amazing locomotion they also can strip bark from the trees allowing them to gather their preferred food sources.

Fun facts

• - sugar gliders are omnivores, their preferred food is sap and nectar however they also eat fruit and insects.
  • - female sugar gliders have a marsupium (pouch) that they use to carry babies.
  • - they are nocturnal.
  • - They are very social animals and tend to live in colonies of up to 10 animals
  • - Sugar gliders can produce four types of sounds under normal circumstances: barking, hissing, crabbing, and hissing or purring, but when threatened they bark to warn others of the dangerous surroundings.
  • - Sugar gliders communicate via their saliva and can make distinctive/unique scents that aid in identifying the hierarchy/territory, these scents can also be used in deterring enemies. 

thoughts

• I think a nice idea could be they rest during the day, either curled up on the ground (like shadowmanes) as there a lot larger in sizer to their smaller counterparts or they could sleep latched onto trees? (Like how the Thylacoleo attach to them.)
  • Seeing as they adore all things sweet and sugary, I think they should be able to harvest sap and honey from the trees/hives.
  • Since they are not fighting creatures and lack the ability to fight, maybe their bark could startle dinosaurs for a moment allowing them to run away.
  • Maybe they could be able to care for babies in their pouch but limited to two babies maximum.

Taming
the idea for taming these, since they adore sweet things, I thought it would be nice if you could passively feed them, I think it could be nice if they would come running up to players holding their preferred foods. (Like a ferox to element)

So, the idea is
a large sugar glider that is an early game mount. With amazing ability at traversing the ark, a good early glider/climber. A top tier traveling companion!
The ability to startle dinos around it so it can make an escape from any danger.
it would also have the ability to gather sap/honey.

information and images credits;
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sugar_glider
https://a-z-animals.com/blog/10-incredible-sugar-glider-facts/?from=exit_intent
https://a-z-animals.com/animals/sugar-glider/
1863 illustration by John Gould
Intergace_5 and Seria602 for the dossiers

Edited by ApocalypseGal

4 replies to this server topic