Enhydriodon Syreni- The Dire Otter

Oreloki

Suggestion

Enhydriodon.png
BOY HOWDY NOW IT GLOWS IN THE DINGDANG DARK

So what does Enhydriodon bring to the table for Aberration?

First of all, it will be the only creature on Aberration to have jellyfish immunity.
Enhydriodon will also have built up a natural resistance to poisons, due to how much biotoxin is in its diet. Because of this, it can tromp through mushroom spores without pause.
Enhydriodon will have a chance to harvest black pearls from silica pearl deposits, making it useful for obtaining a small amount of black pearls without having to brave the red zone. It will also gain increased black pearls from trilobites, and if you're brave enough to take it down into the red zone, it will harvest significantly higher quantities of black pearls from black pearl deposits.
Enhydriodon is feisty, having learned to compete with other creatures much larger than itself for food in Aberration's waters. It will receive a damage bonus to Spinosaurus and Karkinos. On top of this, wild Baryonyx and Sarcosuchus (and probably Kaprosuchus on other maps) will not bother an Enhydriodon unless it picks a fight first.

---Overarching concept, with all maps in mind---

The overall idea is to provide players with a jack of all trades water mount that opens up many doors for early game. It will have features of the Basi, Diplocaulus, Otter, and Anglerfish, but each of those creatures will far outclass it in their respective uses. This creature is meant to be an early-midgame tame, one that is for opening up new routes in your playthrough that are normally locked behind either later game gear or having to combine multiple other tames together to get the same easy access to the ocean.

• Early oxygen tank- Enhydriodon will give an oxygen boost underwater. It will NOT be a free oxygen tank like the Diplocaulus, but instead provide the same extended dive period that the Genesis 1 ocean has. This is based on the air-trapping properties of beaver fur, which normally insulates its skin underwater. The bubbles trapped in the Enhydriodon's mane are easy access for its rider.
  • Cold water insulation- Enhydriodon makes it easier to dip your toes into the frigid oceans of the Arks. Perhaps not as well as having its miniature relative tucked around your neck, but enough to get you by!
  • Pearl gatherer- Enhydriodon can harvest more pearls than the player can by hand, but less than an anglerfish.
  • Stun immune- Enhydriodon can't be stunned by Jellyfish or slowed by Eels, but it isn't as tanky or hard-hitting as a Basi. This stun immunity is again thanks to the insulating properties of the otter's fur.

On top of this, Enhydriodon will be decent on land, probably equatable to a sabertooth, if not a bit slower. The real Enhydriodon omoensis, on which this creature was based, was theorized to be a formidable hunter on both land and in water, so Ark's version should at least be able to manage an ambush sprint on land.
As far as the design goes, it's actually a little nod to how a few other Aberration creatures are based on cryptids (Nameless are based on Chupacabra, and Ravagers are based on Barghest). This Enhydriodon's appearance is based on a cryptid called the Dobhar-chú, which is basically a giant otter/fish hybrid, hence the scaly traits. This is also what sparked the idea for the name Syreni, for both its mermaid appearance and being both a land and water creature.

Enhydriodon will spawn rarely in areas with access to both land and deep water. On Aberration specifically, it will spawn commonly in the waters of the blue zone and rarely near the deeper waters of the green zone. It will be aggressive and have the ability to grab players who are on foot and drag them to the water, attempting to drown them. They cannot grab a player off of a mount. I don't intend to make another Kapro.

Taming them is the fun part! You tame them by playing Simon Says with your emote wheel! So for example the otter will wave at you, and you'll have a few seconds to wave back. If you mess up by missing the time window or using the wrong emote, the otter will try to drown you (they have to be near water to be tame-able) I'm thinking to initiate the tame, you must first offer them a fish corpse above a certain size, that way you don't just have a bunch of otters waving at you all the time, cute as that would be. It also puts a small barrier on an otherwise ridiculously easy tame. They're meant to be early game, but they shouldn't be free.

Enhydriodon is an extremely intelligent and social creature, and this carries over to the bond with the person who tames them! Using emotes to interact with a tamed otter strengthens this bond, giving special perks! (A wave emote could give a short harvesting bonus, a fist bump gives a damage bonus, etc.)
Attacks:

• Torpedo attack. Basically a Pteranodon spin attack but underwater
  • Tail Slap. Could possibly do a knockback or a short stun
  • Drag. Can grab creatures smaller than itself and maintain the grab status when becoming submerged, quickly draining oxygen from the victim in the grab state and drowning them.

As for the saddle, I did put some thought into that and I think it would be cool if the saddle had inflatable canisters on it, perhaps fueled with something like gas or sulphur, that could allow a player to very rapidly rise to the surface of the water in emergency situations. On land, the canisters could be punctured in a pinch to release a cloud of gas, either to let you make an unseen escape or send smaller creatures packing.

Please let me know your thoughts and ideas for interesting mechanics to add or balance this cutie out.
DireOtterColors.png
Ideas from the comments! (Including comments from past vote threads)

• Able to passively scare off Seagulls and Piranha
  • Able to catch and transport live fish while underwater
  • Saddle gives perks but isn't needed to be ridden. Possibly faster without it, at the sacrifice of armor
  • Some kind of sea crate buff?
  • Finite Oxygen underwater, but oxygen refills if it eats fish, making it viable to remain underwater for longer periods of time but still not quite as good as a scuba tank
  • Tamed otters are able to rescue you and pull you to the surface if you're drowning

Addressing common grievances

It's just a bigger otter
And Argentavis is just a bigger vulture! Yet miraculously, they still fill entirely different niches from one another in Ark's gameplay, and they aren't the only examples of this by far. Enhydriodon isn't just a scaled up shoulder pet.

Ark's oceans suck and I don't want a water mount
(Mildly obsolete for Aberration but I'll talk about this anyways)
This concept was actually created because I also think Ark's oceans are lacking! A lot of it is the AI and environments, which I really truly hope Ascended addresses on its own. But a lot more of it, at least in my opinion, is due to a lack of diversity and the fact that entering the oceans is a chore. This can be solved by adding more water creatures (like the Enhydriodon!) and smoothing over the early water experience, which is what this concept was originally centered around.

Enhydriodon is useless for PvP
You're probably right. I am a PvE player, and I won't pretend to know anything about PvP metas and what the PvP playerbase is interested in. If you are a PvP player and you have an idea of what could make Enhydriodon more useful for your gameplay experience, please suggest it! I'm more than happy to try and work mechanics into this concept that I never would have thought of on my own.

I don't like the fins/scales
That's honestly fair and okay! The aquatic features were just my personal take on Ark's extra flare that it tends to add to its creatures. Designs that heir more on the side of fantasy are my personal preference, and I understand that it isn't everybody's cup of tea. I completely trust Wildcard to make the final design feel like it belongs in their game, as they have done with all the previous creature vote winners.

Edited by Oreloki
  • Like 1

106 replies to this server topic

I'm going to explain my reasoning as to why I don't think the Dire Otter is a good fit for ARK period.

1. We already have an otter in-game, and the difference between species of otters is far less significant or noticeable than say the different between Oviraptor and Gigantoraptor. While the otters need fantastical fins and attributes to make them even remotely different, Oviraptor and Gigantoraptor have unique characteristics like their size and dimensions that make them distinct as individual animals.

2. The abilities proposed here, aside from the Emote Buff, are ripped from pre-existing creatures that do nothing to change up or add anything unique to the game.

Just my opinion, and just not a good pick considering it's clashing with what ARK has already established. Please don't force other people to vote for this either, seen it too many times on other platforms during Ragnarok.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Facepalm 1

7 hours ago, DynastyOfDragons said:

I'm going to explain my reasoning as to why I don't think the Dire Otter is a good fit for ARK period.

1. We already have an otter in-game, and the difference between species of otters is far less significant or noticeable than say the different between Oviraptor and Gigantoraptor. While the otters need fantastical fins and attributes to make them even remotely different, Oviraptor and Gigantoraptor have unique characteristics like their size and dimensions that make them distinct as individual animals.

2. The abilities proposed here, aside from the Emote Buff, are ripped from pre-existing creatures that do nothing to change up or add anything unique to the game.

Just my opinion, and just not a good pick considering it's clashing with what ARK has already established. Please don't force other people to vote for this either, seen it too many times on other platforms during Ragnarok.

I honestly absolute agree that it is a bit bland and has pre-existing abilities. I personally hated making previous creatures obsolete because oh this creature does it way better. (Example and the one that peaves me off the most being Sino and Archaeopteryx) In the end of the day though it is a community vote. I do disagree with boosting your vote through socials, but no one forces them to click that upvote button. Other than being cute, I personally wouldn't want the dire otter to win. However my opinion isn't exactly the full communities opinion.. If it does keep coming back that means it has enough people wanting it. I got a lot of comments on my last bastion beetle submission saying not to force the idea on them and let it die. I don't think it is quite fair to throw a idea under the rug because multiple people don't want it. If this idea does win in the end count on wildcard to make it UNIQUE and useful in its own way. 

I guess I just wanted to say that despite it being posted on other socials and keeps coming back to multiple votes; no one is forcing them to vote for the dire otter. I do think your opinions are more than valid though. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, DarkEdgeTV said:

For those mentioning about this being posted all over social media or unfairly promoted - that's not the OP doing it.
She just wanted to share her idea - and the community has really soured the experience, due to the unexpectedly controversial popularity of it.

Some of us just wanted a cute creature, that's all.

Also, "we don't need a bigger otter", meanwhile Gigantoraptor/Oviraptor, Argentavis/Vulture, Carcharo/Giganoto, Tropeognathus/Tapejara, Plesiosaur/Mosasaur(mechanically speaking). It's easy to generalize but Wildcard has done a good job of making similar creatures stand out.

There’s a lot of original and creative submissions in the vote right now but repeats like this, the gorgonops, and the cheetah are taking up the votes yet again. None fit the map and yet there’s still a ton of people voting for them just because they’re known or “cute.” I still don’t understand why so many people vote for something just because it’s cute.  Vote for something because it provides great utility, does something that doesn’t exist in the game yet, or if it’s a pvp creature because it has dope abilities. 

the YI Qi, the monkeydactylus bomber creature, the pangolin artillery creature all have niche abilities and also fit the aesthetic and theme of aberration much better than this, the cheetah or the gorgo .  It’s ridiculous at this point.

Aberrations new creature should either be adept at climbing, leaping, or gliding. Yes, the cheetah can leap but cheetahs hunt in wide open plains, not in cave systems. A mammal doesn’t fit the aesthetic as well as a crab/scorpion/arachnid does, or something reptilian like that glides. It just doesn’t. Save the otter and cheetah for another map and let the one super distinct map get what it deserves. We all know you all are going to spam the otter and cheetah for every other map anyways… for Christ’s sake. 

Edited by ElPINGUcubano94
  • Thanks 2

26 minutes ago, DynastyOfDragons said:

completely agree.

• Like 1

On 7/7/2023 at 9:36 PM, DynastyOfDragons said:

I tend to agree. I would much rather see something entirely new/original. If it's and otter give it new abilities, or if it's going to rip off old abilities at least make it an entirely new creature.

I'd prefer if this was a candidate for the Crystal Isles vote. At least that map has much more expansive and usable waterways. Either that or maybe even Gen 1, if there weren't so many other good options I know will probably pull ahead of it. The fin design may look strange to others but to me it is the perfect fit for both the fantasy theme of the Crystal Isles map and the style that Ark did with the space cetaceans like Astrocetus and Astrodelphis. It looks reminiscent of those palettes and designs, it also has a decent amount of water in the map despite it not being so in all the biomes, especially the Bog besides the Ocean zone.

Perhaps even a space themed version of it could be made, or it could be given a Tek Saddle that has an astronaut helmet made to let it breathe in space environments as well as propulsion, or take after the Tek Sail and let you hover instead of fully fly in low gravity areas.

For Crystal Isles it could play into that theme, leaning into the mermaid and Crystal aspects and maybe even enhance its design with them, the otter could even have an affinity for crystals instead of Pearls, and who knows. Thinking of the original otter and how it had the superpower to hold more than one artifact, maybe this creature could do some sort of reality defying form of alchemical transmutation with similar objects like how element is converted to different forms, this could be used for it or other resources, or even artifacts or things related to them. For a map that has magic and fantasy as its main elements, this would be really interesting to develop on, and maybe even incorporate aspects of things the devs left untouched like utilizing the primal crystals of wyverns for strange abilities or even something like being able to wear helmets like the trophy Crystal Wyvern helmet somehow.