Josephoartigasia, the wagon pulling Mega Capybara and fast travel companion!

LagiSG

Suggestion

Name: Megacapybara

Species: Josephoartigasia magna

Time: Early Pleistocene

Diet: Herbivore

Temperament: Docile

Wild: Among the creatures that roam the ARKs, one of the friendliest is Josephoartigasia magna, nicknamed the Megacapybara by the tribes that have encountered it. The Megacapybara lives in estuaries present on the ARKs, though they've been found in other bodies of water. When I first met this creature myself, I was surprised to learn the things walked around near predators that could tear them to shreds! I even saw one playing with a Baryonyx present in the estuary with the Megacapybara, as well as one with a young Sarco laying on its back. From what I can tell, the Megacapybara, similar to the Pachyrhinosaurus present on the ARKs, produces a pheromone that calms creatures and deters them from attacking it. With the help of the pheromones, it goes where it pleases, ignored by the vicious beasts that roam the ARKs. They primarily feed off of plant matter, such as grass, reeds, and aquatic plants, but I've also observed them attempting to obtain fruits that are hanging low from tree branches. They're very social animals, and will usually stay in herds, though rarely they'll live amongst and socialize with other species that share their habitat with them.

Taming: Recently, I met a tribe with a surplus of Megacapybara and learned a lot about befriending these fantastic rodents. Some tribe members even gave me their secret to domesticated Josephoartigasia magna. When attempting to tame a Megacapybara, one must simply engage in a fun activity with it. Some survivors have told me they played tag with it, while others said they cuddled with it or had it follow them around. Perhaps merely feeding it could work as well, but they didn't mention that. Perhaps climbing atop its back and petting it could also work? Thankfully, they told me that the nearby predators seemed docile, and didn't interrupt the taming process, which is a relief. Perhaps I should get one for myself at some point.

Domesticated: The same tribe that taught me how to tame Megacapybara let me stay with them for a while, and in that time, I've learned how they live alongside the great rodents. Within the tribe, the Megacapybara are beloved by their owners and other domesticated creatures alike. The Megacapybara get along well with people of all ages and creatures of all shapes and sizes, commonly seen playing with others when they aren't used for work. Megacapybara are commonly used to pull wagons and carts, and are very efficient at doing so, be able to pull even the heaviest of loads over long distances and all sorts of terrain. I've even seen ones outfitted with weaponry, and almost all wagons pulled by the Megacapybara have a float around the sides to allow the Megacapybara to pull the wagon across bodies of water. They have no problem with predators due to the pheromones produced by the beast, making them predator-free transport! With all these factors in mind, Megacapybara have no problem travelling across extremely long distances in short amounts of time. If more tribes were aware of Josephoartigasia magna, I could see it being very popular for both its uses as a mount and as a pet. Who wouldn't like an All Terrain Capybara?

j2fykadp76731.png

Note: Artist is unknown, I (obviously) don't own this image, credit goes to said unknown artist.

In-game uses and functions:

Fast-travel - The Megacapybara allows for easy fast travel, without any of the hassle of having to remove your items. This makes it easy to transfer large amounts of resources to different places across the map. To do this, you must place a new item, the travel flag, at a location. This will give you the option to fast travel to that location without any hassle whatsoever. Perhaps animation-wise, it could disappear into a cloud of pheromones and emerge from a cloud at the travel flag. Alternatively, to differentiate it from how people use Fjordhawks to fast travel, one could perhaps simply enter coordinates into a little menu available with the Megacapybara, and it will take you to those coordinates. Perhaps it could show you a top down view like with the Exo Mek.

Safe transportation - The Megacapybara is ignored by all aggressive creatures, unless they are attacked by the Megacapybara itself. Allied creatures are also ignored if they're near it.

All-terrain transport - The Megacapybara is capable of travelling at a surprisingly quick pace across both land and sea, pulling a wagon behind it, allowing for multiple people and creatures to come along for the ride!

Wagon - The Megacapybara is capable of pulling a wagon behind it. This wagon is it's saddle. Much like how Meks have interchangable modules and some creatures have multiple types of saddles, each wagon type is a different saddle. The normal wagon is merely just a chariot, more or less. The storage wagon would have a weight reduction on resources, and would have the option to have a cover on top. It would have a few storage containers or one big one for resource transport. The combat wagon could be similar to the Andrewsarchus saddle, but possibly compatible with a larger variety of ammunition, including ammunition used by longneck rifles. The damage done by bullets would scale with this saddle/wagon. All saddles have a float around them so they can be taken into the water. The platform wagon, is just what you think it would be. A platform saddle dragged by the Megacapybara, it would be a bit bigger than the Quetzal's platform saddle but not too large. The original idea was to have it be an entirely separate entity, but it was pointed out that having wagons be separate and even be capable of being chained together would be difficult to implement, so I have changed it to being a specialized saddle.

Resource carrier - The Megacapybara has a very high weight stat, and combined with its quick pace and all-terrain capabilities, makes it a perfect weight creature for those who want to move loads of resources across the map.

Mobile spawn point - The cart contains a spawn point.

Please vote for the Megacapybara if you want a useful resource carrying and travel creature that also allows for easy and hassle-free fast travel! Or, y'know, if you just want a giant Capybara. Either one.

13 replies to this server topic

Josephoartigasia

temperament: passive

tamable: yes

rideable: yes

saddle needed: no

reproducible: yes

Wild

Josephoartigasia is just a huge, prehistoric capybara. It lives by the water in families of 2-4 individuals. It is an overly laid-back animal and no creature attacks it because there is no point in doing so. They can often be seen lounging with small animals on their backs or near them

Domesticated

Those who manage to tame it can benefit from its 70% weight reduction. Builders especially like this animal because it has reductions (as the only animal) on structures! It is a relatively fast animal and, as mentioned before, it can easily move around without being attacked. It is also used by warriors, thanks to its mounted panniers that are like a portable preserving bin. In addition, small animals near it get a 20% bonus to statistics (thanks to this, e.g. otters better insulate warm). They carry less weight than Gasbags and cannot fly, but they have maintenance pouches, weight reduction, and creatures don't attack them.

Taming

Lure her with honey, then when she eats it, give her vegetables. the taming bar should increase. 

Info about size: https://pl.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Josephoartigasia

images.jpeg

josephoartigasia-the-enormous-rodent-that-may-have-weighed-v0-6rlzcokzfjx91.jpg

Yeah, i actually remembered the Fjordhawk fast travel, but decided to put it anyway since the Fjordhawk is only on Fjordur and some servers lack transfers, but for most situations, the Fjordhawk is definitely more convenient. And also because I hate having to pick up my stuff every time I fjordhawk fast travel because occasionally it's placed in a weird spot like above or in a structure. In retrospect, I also agree with the wagon being difficult. Besides being difficult to program, it would probably end up being really laggy. Perhaps instead of being a connecting part, it's just the saddle? Like, for the combat one, it's basically just the andrewsarchus saddle but behind the Megacapybara. 

I like the saddlebag idea, and yeah it's probably better if its harder to tame for balancing reasons.

I'd love if it had a laydown option. Also I love the name "Mr. Joseph", if it was ever in a mod or the 0% chance it somehow won this vote, I'd love to have one and name in that lol

Edit: Perhaps to make the fast travel less redundant, it could be used with coordinates? For giant maps, it could make travel earlier on easier since you dont need to be there in the first place. The only issue is that it would probably be very glitchy. I'd imagine trying to fast travel and ending up on top of a tree

War Rodent
1290995168_wargerbil.jpeg.9b0aebeb2505600f0cf8baa3f58a98e2.jpeg

according to Wikipidia:
"The skull of J. monesi measures 53 cm (1 ft 9 in), similar to a beef cow skull, equating to a full body length of 262.8 cm (8 ft 7 in)—though this is likely an overestimate—and a weight of about 480–500 kg (1,060–1,100 lb). This makes J. monesi the biggest rodent ever discovered. It was much larger than J. magna or the largest living rodent, the capybara, which averages 60 kg (130 lb). J. monesi also had a massive bite force of approximately 1,400 N (310 lbf) at the incisors (on par with large carnivores) and 5,000 N (1,100 lbf) at the third molar (rivaling large crocodilians). Its skull was heavily reinforced to withstand high stresses far exceeding what bite force alone could exert, so it could have been using its teeth to crack nuts, excavate large burrows, dig up roots, or self defense against predators."

Wild: Extremely timid, the Josephoartigasia runs at the first sign of danger. While seemingly obese these creatures are surprisingly fast outrunning most creatures with ease. Their diet consists primarily of berries and grass. They primarily live in forests digging burrows at the base of large trees.

Taming: Because of their timid nature the best way to domesticate these creatures is to tire them out by chasing them until they collapse from exhaustion. A saddle is then placed on them and the training begins. Whips have proven quite effective for this purpose as the Josephoartigasia gains a burst of speed but tires out faster.

Domesticated: Once tamed these creatures chew through just about anything including trees and rocks. However, instead of taking large bites they nibble at incredible speeds shredding what they bite making them only useful for gathering things like flint, thatch, or fiber. They also make incredible war mounts shredding through predators the same way they tear through wood or stone, once they are trained not to run in terror.

istockphoto-162547824-612x612.jpg.628606a649b45bda83454ea5e1857642.jpg

Personal requests:
Please make it look as close to a guinea pig as possible while maintaining accuracy to bone structure. It should be cute and furry!
I'd like it to gather secondary resources exclusively making it ideal for flint, thatch, fiber, and maybe hide.
I would like it to have a press and hold left click rapid nibble attack working more or less like a drill or chainsaw.

size.jpeg.a2da518476d07d02bade82f7272ab170.jpeg

This is my first ever creature submission for ark and I have been playing since the start so yeah.

Wild: In the wild the Giant pacarana can be found roaming the swamps of ark diving down in the murky depths to eat aquatic plants and fruits they can also be found fighting off sarcos and other semi aquatic predators in the swamp and rubbing off leeches in the mud

Domesticated: If tamed passively with plant species x (not s like it says in the art thing lol I was making this late at night) they can be a powerful semi aquatic tank they are immune to most types of stings or shocks underwater foes might use making them a great companion for diving down in the murky depths but their main ability is to make poop that can be used as a powerful narcotic if fed narco berries ( even stronger if you feed narcotic which they are also immune to getting knocked out)

capybara.jpg

Josephoartigasia monesi, a capivara gigante pré-histórica

Surgiria perto de rios e lagos, seria dócil e ignoraria o jogador, e se atacada, atacaria de volta

Seria domesticada por métodos passivos, como alimentando ela com um alimento específico em um período de tempo

Ela poderia ser montada e até conseguiria puxar carroças e outros itens

Ok i pull up!

no but fr i would love mr joseph. Id say the fast travel part is kinda useless as we have the hawk already and the wagon seems like it would be hard if not impossible to develop. Aside from being a platform saddle. 

i love the respawn point thats unique! Being a fast swimmer and having no aggressive attackers is cool too as capys have been seen chillin with all kinds of various creatures IRL. High weight is cool maybe instead of a wagon it has saddle bags on its sides to help carry large loads? Make it a bit hard to tame so its around gasbag levels or something and it would probably be a beloved addition. Especially for ppl who want w land traveling high weight creature since its always flyers or gasbags.

Imagine if it had a lay down option like how the megatherium has a sit lolw. 

Do you want a massive rodent as your friend? A rodent that has a bite force comparable to polar bears, even reaching Crocodile levels of bite force at the third molar? Introducing, the Josephoartigasia

the current largest rodent is the Capybara, at around 60 kgs. Meanwhile, our friend Joseph reached 1000kgs at its heaviest. 
These bad boys are 15 times as heavy as a capybara. 

There’s a chance these dudes could have been good swimmers as well, as the Capybara is a surprisingly good swimmer. 

Join me brothers. Imagine having a bear sized capybara, with bear levels of biting force as well. It could do decent damage, and be pretty good at harvesting due to its bite force. 

9F201721-55AD-4E3E-9613-E9CB1FB5C50F.jpeg

Archived