Running a small server on intel low-tdp cpus?

survarium

Hello,

Just joined the forum for the first time so I hope this question is in the right place.

I've been going through the threads and there are quite a few talking about specs required for a server.  However, those are always talking about big servers and full-desktop setups, so I wasn't sure if I could extrapolate.

Basically, I was wondering if a low-tdp cpu like the i5-4590t or the i3-6100t would be good enough to run a single server for a couple of people (4-5) and maybe a couple of mods.  I know that those usually have much lower speeds, and I've read that Ark is very single-thread intensive.

There's some nice deals online for refurbished office pcs (like optiplex or thinkcentre) and I was looking for something very small and low power.  Before anyone starts recommending renting, I plan on using the server for other things (not at the same time) not gaming-related, but those I know about and they won't be as demanding as this game.

Thank you everyone for the help!
😃

yes that should be fine. One thing to note is that I would personally avoid 2 CORE cpu's.  Make sure you check actual cores vs threads which may be shown as 2/4.  The reason is that there have been issues in the past regarding Unreal Engine and 2 core systems.  4 or more cores, most i5's are 4 cores.

The 2 you mentioned the i5-4590t would be the better option.  the i3 is only 2 core.

i'd prob make sure to have 8gb of ram as an absolute minimum. You really want 12gb+.  If the system runs out of ram ARK won't accept "swap files" and will cause a Unreal Engine Crash.  Some mods can really chew up ram on startup same with some maps.  Crystal Isles and Valguero are 2 notorious Ram hogs, they eat about 6-8gb on startup all by themselves.

Also, while mods have some impact on server performance the rates you set will have the most impact. XP, Harvest, Taming.  I would keep those modest because at first when you are just punching trees everything is fine.  Then someone gets a Bronto and does a tail swipe and the entire server comes to a standstill (not as much as an issue now, but you get the idea).

Also, i'd avoid any cpu's that have Under 2.0ghz clock speed as ARK server is still mostly dependant on single core speed, though it does use more than a single core since a networking update some time ago.

In re: some very high specs that are tossed around most of those are geared toward supporting pvp servers with high populations.

I've run ARK servers since September 2015 in Early access and I have run on All types of hardware, the only real issues i ever had with hardware was with dual-core system and that was due to a Unreal Engine bug. While supposedly fixed, it does crop up from time to time.

Also, I do run servers for other people, some smaller streamers so if you want to go that route feel free to send me a private message you can DM me on discord as well, also feel free to DM if you just have questions.

AshleyLee#1988

Hi AshleyLee,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write such a thorough response.

I was able to get a i5-6500t which I think is going to be even better.  It has 8gb of ram only, but I didn't worry too much about it since it's much easier to upgrade than a cpu anyway, I'm considering just selling those and getting 2x8 to replace them with.  I still have to try it though, have been setting up the server for other things first (not Ark).

Yeah, I was looking through the forums and everyone keeps mentioning how it runs fine in their xeon server with dozens of GB of ram for dozens of people.  So that didn't really help me extrapolate if it would work on a much smaller scale (like I said, 4-5 people at most).

I appreciate the offer for help, but I'm quite confident in my skills and I always like learning new things.  I'm using this opportunity to try the new centos stream too, controversial as it may be.  I'll keep it in mind though!

Thank you!

Archived